News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Profile for GYPSY3

Member Name: GYPSY3
Contact User: You must be logged in to contact BWW members.

Most Recent Message Board Posts:

View Off Topic Posts

re: looking for a good book
 Sep 3 2006, 08:36:31 PM
Lehman Engel's autobiography:THIS BRIGHT DAY,c.1974 is a wonderful book, very well written and informative. I can still picture him in the pit conducting "Li'l Abner","I Can Get It For You Wholesale", Take Me Along", and "Bajour", among others. And all those wonderful studio cast recordings he made of musicals from the 1940's.He was a great talent!
re: Ziegfeld- the musical
 Sep 3 2006, 07:38:16 PM
I don't know anything about a stage musical about Florenz Ziegfeld but I can recommend the 1936 Hollywood film entitled
"The Great Ziegfeld", starring the wonderful William Powell. The production numbers surpass that of any other Hollywood
musical and there are numbers by actual Ziegfeld stars such as
Fanny Brice, Will Rogers, and Ray Bolger. The film, over 3
hours long, is very entertaining.

Co-incidentally, I am listening to the OBCR of "Funny Girl" as I am writing t

re: The best musicals from each composer
 Sep 3 2006, 05:08:39 PM
Leonard Bernstein: ON THE TOWN

Jule Styne: GYPSY

Rodgers and Hart: PAL JOEY

Cy Coleman: WILDCAT (Impossible to find!)
Frank Loesser: THE MOST HAPPY FELLA
Charles Strouse: BYE BYE BIRDIE
George Gershwin: PORGY AND BESS
Harold Rome: FANNY
Leroy Anderson: GOLDILOCKS(with Elaine Stritch)

re: Favorite Overtures
 Aug 30 2006, 01:07:37 PM
It was so gratifying to me to have someone earlier mention the overture to GOLDILOCKS. I saw the show twice in 1958 and loved the score. It starred Elaine Stritch, Don Ameche, Pat Stanley, Russell Nype and Margaret Hamilton (the wicked witch of the West).The music was by Leroy Anderson and the orchestrations were by Anderson and the prolific and fabulous Philip J. Lang.Orchestrators rarely get the credit that they deserve.

re: Cast recording different from the show
 Aug 28 2006, 04:24:40 PM
Re.THE KING AND I, there simply wasn't room on the OBCR to include the 14 minute ballet "The Small House of Uncle Thomas".
It can be heard in its entire form on the 2 disc JEROME ROBBINS'
BROADWAY album. What a wonderful show that was!

There is dance music missing from the two vaudeville numbers on the OBCR of GYPSY. That music IS on the Tyne Daly and Bernadette
Peters CD's.

re: Whats happend to broadway?
 Aug 27 2006, 03:46:39 PM
The Rodgers & Hammerstein musical ME AND JULIET from the early
1950's had a song titled "The Theatre is Dying" which contrasted
many of the thoughts expressed in this thread with people naming the shows then running which were worthwhile and successful. Such will always be the case, although the great expense of going to a Broadway show these days is a definite handicap, notwithstanding TKTS.

re: Your Favorite Broadway Theater
 Aug 27 2006, 03:02:32 PM
I love all of the old theatres for their interior architecture, and murals.I just wish there was more leg room.
The Shubert organization owns most of these old theatres and they really take care of them, refurbishing them when needed.
The Broadway Theatre was refurbished prior to the opening of GYPSY in May, 1959. There were huge faux windows which were back lit on both sides of the orchestra level. When the lights went down just prior to the overture, the drapes on both sides of these "

You must log in to view off-topic posts.

Videos

TICKET CENTRAL

Recommended For You