News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Page Six: Raul Esparza and

Patti LuPone FANatic Profile Photo
Patti LuPone FANatic
#1Page Six: Raul Esparza and
Posted: 12/29/07 at 5:01am

Hello all. This is from the Dec. 29, 2007 edition of "Page Six."

"Star's Heavenly Intervention"

December 29, 2007 -- ACTOR Raul Esparza had to step out of his role as a wisecracking London pimp during Thursday night's performance of Harold Pinter's "The Homecoming" at the Cort Theatre when a woman in the audience began loudly wheezing near the end of the first act. After the house manager announced an "emergency," Esparza was left alone onstage. He broke the suspense by asking the audience, "Any questions so far?" - alluding to the dark family comedy's many complexities. Then, when it turned out the gasping woman was all right, Esparza chuckled, "Wait, I've lost my accent." As the lights dimmed, he muttered, "Where was I?" The house manager boomed over the public address system, "You were about to light your cigarette." Esparza looked up, as if to Heaven, and asked, "Mother?" - and the show went on.

Wow... from RC in Austin, Texas

"Noel [Coward] and I were in Paris once. Adjoining rooms, of course. One night, I felt mischievous, so I knocked on Noel's door, and he asked, 'Who is it?' I lowered my voice and said 'Hotel detective. Have you got a gentleman in your room?' He answered, 'Just a minute, I'll ask him.'" (Beatrice Lillie)
Updated On: 12/29/07 at 05:01 AM

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#2re: Page Six: Raul Esparza and
Posted: 12/29/07 at 8:21am

I love it!

<-----I'M TOTES ROLLING MY EYES

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#2re: Page Six: Raul Esparza and
Posted: 12/29/07 at 8:29am

What accent?

winston89 Profile Photo
winston89
#3re: Page Six: Raul Esparza and
Posted: 12/29/07 at 9:12am

I love it but I don't buy it. Page six is known for making up stories espically those about broadway. I believe they were the ones that started the stories of how Chenowih and Menzel were fighting off and on during their time at wicked.

They know that people like a good gossip story. And they know that when it comes to gossip from hollywoood they know that chances are strong that people will get that sort of thing from other tabloids. So they try to keep it up to par with what is out there.

Broadway they know that a good amount of people do not follow in the same way. So if they want to make something up and run with it more power to them.

"If you try to shag my husband while I am still alive, I will shove the art of motorcycle maintenance up your rancid little Cu**. That's a good dear" Tom Stoppard's Rock N Roll

April Saul
#4re: Page Six: Raul Esparza and
Posted: 12/29/07 at 9:33am

No, I think this is true, as a poster who said he was in the audience already described this on another theater forum last night. I was at Homecoming's run-through, and there were some nice moments like this one on that night, as well...

April Saul
#5re: Page Six: Raul Esparza and
Posted: 12/29/07 at 9:36am

Whoops, I'm mistaken, the poster who described this did it right on this board...check out the thread about Eve Best in The Homecoming:

https://forum.broadwayworld.com/readmessage.cfm?thread=952951&dt=2

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#6re: Page Six: Raul Esparza and
Posted: 12/29/07 at 10:17am

I don't know how this story could be fabricated to any major extent when there were what-over a thousand people witnessing it? this isn't a behind-the-scenes tale.

#7re: Page Six: Raul Esparza and
Posted: 12/29/07 at 11:31am

You don't understand how a news item could be fabricated despite a thousand people swearing otherwise? Ask Dick Cheney about Iraq's involvement in 9/11.

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#8re: Page Six: Raul Esparza and
Posted: 12/29/07 at 11:40am

I like how a fairly inconsequential event like an actor dropping character to amuse his audience is suddenly equivalent to a massive political move. Oy. You've made your point -- obviously things in the news get made up. But to add on to what Jane said, my response would be to wonder why make this up? What good does it do to make up a story like this? I can see a gossip column making up some sort of career-damaging fodder, because at least there, there's an agenda. The thing that's missing from your analogy is that here, there's no agenda. It's just a news bit.

Anyway, I read the post about it on this board last night, and it made me laugh. re: Page Six:  Raul Esparza and I'm glad the person is okay, too.

A work of art is an invitation to love.
Updated On: 12/29/07 at 11:40 AM

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#9re: Page Six: Raul Esparza and
Posted: 12/29/07 at 12:04pm

Emcee, thanks for your sensible post.

Yes, Joe, I do wonder about the purpose of making up such an inconsequential event.

Cape Twirl of Doom Profile Photo
Cape Twirl of Doom
#10re: Page Six: Raul Esparza and
Posted: 12/29/07 at 12:42pm

I love it but I don't buy it. Page six is known for making up stories espically those about broadway. I believe they were the ones that started the stories of how Chenowih and Menzel were fighting off and on during their time at wicked.

Not unless Page Six is in the habit of trolling Broadwayworld looking for bits of info to post in their column.

Eve Best in The Homecoming

"It's Phantom meets Hamlet... Phamlet!"
Updated On: 12/29/07 at 12:42 PM

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#11re: Page Six: Raul Esparza and
Posted: 12/29/07 at 12:51pm

thanks for that, Cape!

Videos