News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Miss Saigon Tour

MrMidwest Profile Photo
MrMidwest
#0Miss Saigon Tour
Posted: 9/30/05 at 9:33am

I'm going to see the tour this weekend. I'm excited to see the show. I've never seen it before. Has anyone else seen the tour cast?

"The gods who nurse this universe think little of mortals' cares. They sit in crowds on exclusive clouds and laugh at our love affairs. I might have had a real romance if they'd given me a chance. I loved him, but he didn't love me. I wanted him, but he didn't want me. Then the gods had a spree and indulged in another whim. Now he loves me, but I don't love him." - Cole Porter

MrMidwest Profile Photo
MrMidwest
#1re: Miss Saigon Tour
Posted: 9/30/05 at 9:47pm

buuump.

"The gods who nurse this universe think little of mortals' cares. They sit in crowds on exclusive clouds and laugh at our love affairs. I might have had a real romance if they'd given me a chance. I loved him, but he didn't love me. I wanted him, but he didn't want me. Then the gods had a spree and indulged in another whim. Now he loves me, but I don't love him." - Cole Porter

ShuQ Profile Photo
ShuQ
#2re: Miss Saigon Tour
Posted: 9/30/05 at 9:58pm

I saw the tour cast last year...and was blown away. They do a fantastic job. Some don't like the holographic helicopter...but I'll admit being an idiot, I didn't even realize it was a screen, not for a minute. Jennifer Paz was Kim when I saw it, PHENOMENAL. The guy who played John was literally tone-deaf, Bui Doi was a mess...but the rest of the cast was pretty strong.

MrMidwest Profile Photo
MrMidwest
#3re: Miss Saigon Tour
Posted: 9/30/05 at 10:03pm

Thanks for your thoughts, ShuQ.

Here's the current cast: http://www.misssaigontour.com/cast.htm

MrMidwest Profile Photo
MrMidwest
#4re: Miss Saigon Tour
Posted: 10/2/05 at 11:39pm

I just came back from seeing it. It was really terrific. The whole cast was pretty strong, especially Laurie Cadevida and Eymard Meneses Cabling. Alan Gillespie as Chris was a bit overwrought in places but he was cute and sang pretty well.

sidneybruhl Profile Photo
sidneybruhl
#5re: Miss Saigon Tour
Posted: 10/3/05 at 6:22am

Having seen the first national tour back in '93 at The Auditorium Theatre in Chicago, I have to admit this tour is a MAJOR disappointment. I thought the actor who played Chris was awful, though the Kim was quite good. I believe I saw Jarrod Emmick (spelling?) play Chris in Chicago. He was truly outstanding.

MrMidwest Profile Photo
MrMidwest
#6re: Miss Saigon Tour
Posted: 10/3/05 at 8:33am

I'll go a little more in depth on my thoughts on the show.

Laurie Cadevida was just wonderful as Kim. Her voice is excellent and her depth of emotion was very affecting.

Alan Gillespie as Chris wasn't able to match her performance unfortunately, but I didn't think he was terrible (I might be being charitable because of the cute bit of weight he has on him that I can't resist) re: Miss Saigon Tour

I can't say enough good things about Eymard Meneses Cabling as The Engineer. He hit on many different aspects of the part incredibly well. Nice looking guy, too.

D.J. Oliver as John was solid.

Mario Tadeo as Thuy was very good. He was threatening and hateful, but at the same time you could almost feel for him.

Kelly Wilson as Ellen was pretty good.

I really enjoyed Emerita Alcid as Gigi. It's too bad that part isn't larger.

Overall, if you haven't ever seen Miss Saigon before I'd totally reccomend checking out the tour. It's definitely worth it.

Updated On: 10/3/05 at 08:33 AM

Elphaba Profile Photo
Elphaba
#7re: Miss Saigon Tour
Posted: 10/3/05 at 10:44am

I was lucky in that I saw the original Canadian cast in Toronto, and was blown away. Having lived through the Vietnam War era, it truly was emotional for me.
The we saw it again in 1999 in San Francisco before we moved down here, and many from that Canadian cast were in it....and it was just as good. This, and RENT are the two that truly get my emotions going. Glad you liked it.

It is ridiculous to set a detective story in New York City. New York City is itself a detective story... AGATHA CHRISTIE, Life magazine, May 14, 1956

Patronus Profile Photo
Patronus
#8re: Miss Saigon Tour
Posted: 10/3/05 at 12:02pm

Elphaba, was the Canadian cast the company that had Charles Azulay as Thuy? I heard he was phenominal and really did a lot with an otherwise dry character. Any thoughts?

Up In Lost
#9re: Miss Saigon Tour
Posted: 10/3/05 at 12:07pm

The tour will be in South Florida when I am, so hopefully we'll be able to go. It's at a theater with a subscription thing, so it's a little hard to get good seats.

Well, I'm glad he got away with it.

Elphaba Profile Photo
Elphaba
#10re: Miss Saigon Tour
Posted: 10/3/05 at 1:04pm

patronus......it was so many years ago, that I honestly don't remember, and the playbill is buried somewhere in the mound that is my home office.

It is ridiculous to set a detective story in New York City. New York City is itself a detective story... AGATHA CHRISTIE, Life magazine, May 14, 1956

Patronus Profile Photo
Patronus
#11re: Miss Saigon Tour
Posted: 10/3/05 at 1:10pm

Yeah, I am one of those scary people who remember understudies from specific days. re: Miss Saigon Tour

I think Kevin Gray may have started with the Canadian company as well. He was phenominal.

Elphaba Profile Photo
Elphaba
#12re: Miss Saigon Tour
Posted: 10/3/05 at 1:12pm

I will say I was very happy with all roles.

Rentaholic2
#13re: Miss Saigon Tour
Posted: 10/3/05 at 1:14pm

"Some don't like the holographic helicopter..."

What holgraphic helicopter?

Fosse76
#14re: Miss Saigon Tour
Posted: 10/3/05 at 3:45pm

I saw the return engagement of Miss Saigon in 1995 in Chicago over 40 times (I worked at the Theatre). The current non-equity cast has some good talent. The sets leave much to be desired (they are way too colorful and sometimes amatuer-ish looking). But I must say some, and I mean SOME, of the direction was an improvement. Some of the lyrics worked better with the new staging. It's an enjoyable evening. The one thing that bothered me was at the end. Chris would let out a scream as the curtain lowered, which made a huge emotional impact, but didn't do so here.

RaininSmilies
#15re: Miss Saigon Tour
Posted: 10/3/05 at 4:16pm

I saw the tour a few weeks ago and I thought it was fantastic! Everyone was good, although I didn't like Alan Gillespie as much as the rest of the cast, but he was still very good.

Patronus Profile Photo
Patronus
#16re: Miss Saigon Tour
Posted: 10/3/05 at 9:06pm

Odd that the Toronto company was mentioned today.

I have been in the process of transfering old video tapes with things I have recorded from TV and one of the things I came across was an hour long special called "Sun and Moon: The Making of Toronto Miss Saigon" it has casting, building the theatre etc.

If anyone was interested, here is the original cast:

Engineer.............Kevin Gray

Kim..................Ma-Anne Dionisio

Kim alternate........Cornilla Luna

Chris................H.E. Greer

John.................Rufus Bonds Jr.

Thuy.................Charles Azualay

Ellen................Melissa Thomson

bschneid76 Profile Photo
bschneid76
#17re: Miss Saigon Tour
Posted: 10/4/05 at 10:29am

I got to see this in Houghton, MI. It was the first time i'd seen Miss Saigon, and I wasn't dissapointed. It didn't matter to me that the helicopter was just a holigraphic image. Many people were disappointed that it wasn't a real helicopter. I said "Pish" that's not the reason one goes to the theatre. The Engineer was outstanding as was Kim. The guys playing Chris and John were only so so. Bui-Doh wasn't sung as well as it should be, and left me disappointed since it's my fave song of the show. Like Climb Every Mountain it's suppose to bring chills down your spine, but it didn't. But over all a very good production.

"Love the Art in Yourself. Not Yourself in the Art." -- Stanislavski

jerseyboy
#18re: Miss Saigon Tour
Posted: 10/15/05 at 8:55am

Just re-visited this tour having seen it a year and a half ago. I was far more impressed this time round. I preferred this staging to the original always but had issues with performances when I last saw it. Gillespie as Chris grew on me: his voice is solid and his acting has improved. Cabling was a revelation as the Engineer. Cadevida as Kim was a delight vocally. Tadeo remains consistently strong. What really made this experience stronger for me was the ensemble. They sound and look great (quite sexy actually). This is a very professional company altogether (can't believe it's non-equity) and whoever has looked after the show (director Mitchell Lemsky or Associate Director, Shidan Majidi) needs to be congratulated.

MrMidwest Profile Photo
MrMidwest
#19re: Miss Saigon Tour
Posted: 10/15/05 at 3:01pm

Glad you enjoyed it, jersey.

Did anyone see Jennie Kwan in it back when she did the tour?

boytobroadway
#20re: Miss Saigon Tour
Posted: 10/15/05 at 3:16pm

When I saw it

Jennifer Paz (Kim) WAS AMAZING!

Johann Michael Camat (The Engineer) WAS THE BEST OF THE WHOLE CAST...TOTALLY bleew me away, humor, voice, EVERYTHING!

Ramona Dubarry (Gigi) was pretty good.

Alan Gillepsie (Chris) was OK...He yelled his songs, but still had a TERRIBLY weak voice.

D.J Oliver (John) something was wrong with him. He grovled in his notes and cracked a lot.

Tadeo (Thuy) was pretty good, he was better in the second act than in the first though.

Rachel Kopf (Ellen) WAS HORRIBLE!!!! She was Dreadful. Her voice was very unstable and she couldnt sing on tune most of the time. She TOTALLY screwed up "I still Believe"

I was dissapointed with the helicopter, but that is what you get. I also was angry that I could see the backstage people running around on the stage moving things and stuff while other stuff was going on. Also, when I saw backstage people moving the sets.

It was VERY good though.

Videos