News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Favorite Act 1 Finale(s)??

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#0Favorite Act 1 Finale(s)??
Posted: 8/7/05 at 11:15pm

For some reason I am obcessed with ACT 1 Finales. I think they're sometimes the most powerful moment of a show. There is nothing like the song or scene right before the curtain falls, or the big blackout. They ususally leave with much suspence.
Some of my favorite are

CHICAGO. "My Own Best Friend" - Then Roxie faints, announces shes pregnant, and the curtain falls with Velma's "And All That Jazzz." LOVE IT!

The Light In The Piazza "Say It Somehow" - INCREDIBLE.
Sweet Charity. "I'm The Bravest Individual"
Gypsy. "Everything's Coming Up Roses"
Wonderful Town. "Conga"
The Wild Party. "What Is it About her?"
Urinetown.
Godspell "Light Of The World"

Okay, so those are some of mine. What are you favorite ACT 1 FINALES?
Updated On: 8/7/05 at 11:15 PM

leon1489 Profile Photo
leon1489
#1re: Favorite Act 1 Finale(s)??
Posted: 8/7/05 at 11:16pm

One Day More. Nothing can top it.

Pinguin Profile Photo
Pinguin
#2re: Favorite Act 1 Finale(s)??
Posted: 8/7/05 at 11:17pm

I'm not a HUGE Aida fan, but I remember being overwhelmed during "The Gods Love Nubia" -I was speechless a few minutes into intermission.

**edit** but yeah, One Day More is QUITE the Act 1 Finale :0)

-Anyone want to turn anarchist with me?

"Bless you and all who know you, oh wise and penguined one." ~YouWantItWhen????
Updated On: 8/7/05 at 11:17 PM

brdlwyr
#3re: Favorite Act 1 Finale(s)??
Posted: 8/7/05 at 11:18pm

Sweeney Todd!

MargoChanning
#4re: Favorite Act 1 Finale(s)??
Posted: 8/7/05 at 11:19pm

Nothing even approaches "And I Am Telling You I'm Not Going" from Dreamgirls as an Act I closer. NOTHING.

"What a story........ everything but the bloodhounds snappin' at her rear end." -- Birdie [http://margochanning.broadwayworld.com/] "The Devil Be Hittin' Me" -- Whitney
Updated On: 8/7/05 at 11:19 PM

Aigoo Profile Photo
Aigoo
#5re: Favorite Act 1 Finale(s)??
Posted: 8/7/05 at 11:20pm

Piazza's Act I closer was just..jaw-droppingly insane. I was just screaming in my mind, "Don't open the door! Don't! DO IT!"

This is my signature.

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#6re: Favorite Act 1 Finale(s)??
Posted: 8/7/05 at 11:21pm

Les Miz- "One Day More," so thrilling.
Gypsy- "Everything's Coming Up Roses," the top Act I finale.
Avenue Q- "There's a Fine, Fine Line," one of the most beautiful songs.
Wicked- "Defying Gravity," regardless of what you think of Wicked, this has to be one of the most energetic and climatic numbers written in a long time.
Sunday in the Park with George- "Sunday," when Seurat raises his hand and everyone's positioned as if they were on the painting is one of the most memorable moments in musical theater.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"
Updated On: 8/7/05 at 11:21 PM

leon1489 Profile Photo
leon1489
#7re: Favorite Act 1 Finale(s)??
Posted: 8/7/05 at 11:23pm

Ray, I have to agree about Defying Gravity... I don't care what Wicked-haters think, but it's a good number. The reason I prefer "One Day More" is because it involves the whole ensemble and I think it's so much more energetic because of it. Defying Gravity is a diva number, and Elphaba certainly gets a great moment onstage. I think it depends on personal preference... I prefer big group numbers to end Act 1.

ashhuhleeyy Profile Photo
ashhuhleeyy
#8re: Favorite Act 1 Finale(s)??
Posted: 8/7/05 at 11:26pm

ohhhh i'm definatly going with sweeney todd on this one. nothing better than a song about turning people into pies.

i can't control my destiny. i trust my soul. my only goal is just to be.
-- Rent ♥

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#9re: Favorite Act 1 Finale(s)??
Posted: 8/7/05 at 11:28pm

I agree that "One Day More" is definitely an energetic number, I mean it was intended to express the revolutionary passion of the French Revolution and it very well achieve its purpose. I just think "Defying Gravity" is as good, it's a different kind of finale, written more in the style of "Everything's Coming Up Roses," as a turning point for the protagonist of the show. "Les Miz" is more of an ensemble show so a number like this wouldn't have worked at all for this show.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

MissChanandlerBong
#10re: Favorite Act 1 Finale(s)??
Posted: 8/7/05 at 11:30pm

Actually Les Mis is not about the French Revolution. Just a little nitpick.

And I vote for One Day More as well.

leon1489 Profile Photo
leon1489
#11re: Favorite Act 1 Finale(s)??
Posted: 8/7/05 at 11:31pm

Danielle? No way...

Oh shy. Updated On: 8/7/05 at 11:31 PM

jasonf Profile Photo
jasonf
#12re: Favorite Act 1 Finale(s)??
Posted: 8/7/05 at 11:39pm

I vote for One Day More, but A Little Priest is a VERY close second. I would also put in a vote for The Rumble from West Side Story (and the Tonight Quintet is clearly a predecessor of One Day More) and honestly, the most recent first act closer that blew me away was Can't Help Falling In Love from All Shook Up.

Hi, Shirley Temple Pudding.

popular_elphie Profile Photo
popular_elphie
#13re: Favorite Act 1 Finale(s)??
Posted: 8/7/05 at 11:43pm

I have three.

Piazza. I agree with Aigoo about the DON'T DO IT feeling.

Wicked. Defying Gravity is amazing.

All Shook Up. The whole cast singing Can't Help Falling in Love is just mind-blowing. They are all SO GOOD.

TheaterBaby Profile Photo
TheaterBaby
#14re: Favorite Act 1 Finale(s)??
Posted: 8/8/05 at 12:01am

Into the Woods

"It's the little things; the details, that distinguish the Barbra Streisands from the Rosalyn Kinds."~Gilmore Girls~

Taryn Profile Photo
Taryn
#15re: Favorite Act 1 Finale(s)??
Posted: 8/8/05 at 12:03am

"Momma, Look Sharp" from 1776 is a gorgeous Act I Finale that never seems to get any love. (Although I'm really hoping my memory is accurate in identifying it as an Act I Finale--I know it's the last song in Act I--it IS the finale, isn't it?)

#16re: Favorite Act 1 Finale(s)??
Posted: 8/8/05 at 12:05am

Light in the Piazza is my absolute favorite finale.

I also like Defying Gravity, because it's such a different ending than Piazza was... very much a big bang before the curtains close.

gavrochegirl
#17re: Favorite Act 1 Finale(s)??
Posted: 8/8/05 at 12:05am

Defying Gravity
One Day More
The Miracle (DRS)
The Intermission (Spamalot)

Both The Miracle and The Intermission are both hilarious endings to the act.

What the puck?!

Calvin Profile Photo
Calvin
#18re: Favorite Act 1 Finale(s)??
Posted: 8/8/05 at 12:14am

Can't argue with Dreamgirls.

But 'Til We Reach That Day from Ragtime is very potent. Also, the wedding getting trashed in Fiddler.

ZONEACE
#19re: Favorite Act 1 Finale(s)??
Posted: 8/8/05 at 12:15am

in no particular order.

Defying Gravity
One Day More
A Little Priest
Comfort and Joy (bat boy)
And I Am Telling You I'm Not Going

when ducks grow thumbs then maybe my opinion will change.

DefyingPopular
#20re: Favorite Act 1 Finale(s)??
Posted: 8/8/05 at 12:25am

Wicked's Defying Gravity. It creates such a buzz and leaves you for 15 minutes with major anticipation...

I have to say, i love All Shook Up's act 1 ending. Their voices in 'Can't help Falling In Love' just blend so nicely ... and so powerful.

DRS is just hilarious tho, so they also get a nod!
Rent also gives me an overwhelming feeling, but Wicked takes the cake for me.

HBP Profile Photo
HBP
#21re: Favorite Act 1 Finale(s)??
Posted: 8/8/05 at 12:27am

Defying Gravity re: Favorite Act 1 Finale(s)??

ILUVWICKED722
#22re: Favorite Act 1 Finale(s)??
Posted: 8/8/05 at 12:29am

I think that Defying Gravity is definiteley the best...........BUT! I also loved We're in the Money from 42nd street that was amazing!

alphieboy Profile Photo
alphieboy
#23re: Favorite Act 1 Finale(s)??
Posted: 8/8/05 at 12:32am

Wicked and RENT have very enjoyable act 1 finales.

"If I have something to say, the whole world (BroadwayWorld) should hear it." - Thenardier

tagiunagi
#24re: Favorite Act 1 Finale(s)??
Posted: 8/8/05 at 12:40am

I second the Ragtime 1st Act Finale!! Absolutely beautiful!

Question: Will Esparza win for The Homecoming? BobbyBubby: I hope so. If only for the mental health of many people on this board.

Videos