News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

The UK says goodbye to the EU

songanddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
#1The UK says goodbye to the EU
Posted: 6/23/16 at 11:46pm

The news here is projecting that the UK will leave the EU. I wish to god we weren't, I think it's a terrible idea but the people have spoken. 

Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna

madbrian Profile Photo
madbrian
#2The UK says goodbye to the EU
Posted: 6/24/16 at 3:12am

Hold on to your 401k, it's going to get ugly. Let's learn from this: don't underestimate the ignorance of the electorate. 

"It does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are 20 gods or no god. It neither picks my pocket, nor breaks my leg." -- Thomas Jefferson

Liza's Headband
#3The UK says goodbye to the EU
Posted: 6/24/16 at 6:18am

And don't underestimate the tangible anger many societies and countries are feeling. The EU is a complete sham, crafted by rich white men to oppress the freedom & independence of the people. 

madbrian Profile Photo
madbrian
#4The UK says goodbye to the EU
Posted: 6/24/16 at 6:57am

The UK as we know it may end.  Scotland may hold another referendum for independence, and Northern Ireland may do the same, or may look to unite with Ireland.  What's left will be crippled by new tariffs and the pound is crashing.  I hope the people of England will be happy in their independence, and I hope the people of the US will learn from this.  The demographics seem familiar to trends here: the Leave voters were overwhelmingly white, older, and less educated, driven by anti-immigration, fear, and nationalism.  Sound familiar?

"It does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are 20 gods or no god. It neither picks my pocket, nor breaks my leg." -- Thomas Jefferson

HorseTears Profile Photo
HorseTears
#5The UK says goodbye to the EU
Posted: 6/24/16 at 7:29am

While it's undeniable that fear and misinformation and a healthy dose of xenophobia were major contributing factors, I think it's also fair to criticize the "remain" leadership for failing to effectively communicate the value that the EU (bureaucratic warts and all) provided to the UK. Not just as part of this referendum campaign, but over the past 15+ years. I think we could draw some parallels between this result and the "surprising" rise of Trump in the Republican party. If more moderate political and cultural leaders remain largely silent in response to a barrage of anti-European criticism from leaders on the right for years and years, there will be a cumulative drip-drop effect from that anti-European rhetoric. Or so it seems. Wasn't it a young, rising star in the Conservative party who used to tell British leaders to stop "banging on about Europe" who is now out of a job for doing just that?

And the fact that the Labour party's base overwhelmingly supported the leave campaign demonstrates a failure in leadership for that party as well.  Clearly, Labour did not hear (or understand?, or care..?) about the concerns of their working class supporters.

madbrian Profile Photo
madbrian
#6The UK says goodbye to the EU
Posted: 6/24/16 at 7:33am

^^Well said^^

songanddanceman2
#7The UK says goodbye to the EU
Posted: 6/24/16 at 8:02am

I fear so much for my country now. Scotland leaving will be another blow. We are going from one of the 5th most powerful countries in the world to what? 

I voted to remain, I really thought we would. I agree the Labour Party are a mess and Corbyn needs to be gone, he's useless, all wishy washy ideals and no action.

Liza's Headband
#8The UK says goodbye to the EU
Posted: 6/24/16 at 9:30am

songanddanceman2 said: "I fear so much for my country now. Scotland leaving will be another blow. We are going from one of the 5th most powerful countries in the world to what? 

I voted to remain, I really thought we would. I agree the Labour Party are a mess and Corbyn needs to be gone, he's useless, all wishy washy ideals and no action.

"

How can anyone actually answer that??? This is uncharted territory with no real set precedent (Portugal isn't comparable). This is a long process that will take place over multiple years, with the future but unlikely chance the referendum is reversed at some point. It's going to hurt in the initial days and weeks but just like everything else in the world, this too shall pass. For what it's worth, I take issue with the fact that no one can admit there is some merit to the "Leave" movement. People are frustrated with rich, white men corrupting governments from the cushy confines of Belgium. 

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#9The UK says goodbye to the EU
Posted: 6/24/16 at 9:36am

Scottish independence and an attempt at Irish reunification both seem plausible in the not-distant future. The UK will be... not very united for a while.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

HorseTears Profile Photo
HorseTears
#10The UK says goodbye to the EU

The UK says goodbye to the EU

madbrian Profile Photo
madbrian
#11The UK says goodbye to the EU

Liza's Headband said: "How can anyone actually answer that??? This is uncharted territory with no real set precedent (Portugal isn't comparable). This is a long process that will take place over multiple years, with the future but unlikely chance the referendum is reversed at some point. It's going to hurt in the initial days and weeks but just like everything else in the world, this too shall pass. For what it's worth, I take issue with the fact that no one can admit there is some merit to the "Leave" movement. People are frustrated with rich, white men corrupting governments from the cushy confines of Belgium."

Delete your account.

Liza's Headband
#12The UK says goodbye to the EU
Posted: 6/24/16 at 9:44am

Honey, if that's you in your profile picture? You definitely need to delete your avatar and any social media accounts that include it. Also, you need to hire a personal stylist and fitness trainer....

Liza's Headband
#13The UK says goodbye to the EU
Posted: 6/24/16 at 9:48am

To that end, madbrian, I would recommend a nice haircut and a visit to the gym! xo 

Petralicious Profile Photo
Petralicious
#14The UK says goodbye to the EU
Posted: 6/24/16 at 10:06am

Scary,  France, Netherlands, Deutschland, Italia, Poland and Hungary may be next to go

Before the referendum, some European officials portrayed Britain as an idiosyncratic case that should not be seen as a bellwether for the Continent. But that is a hard argument to make. In France, Ms. Le Pen’s far-right National Front party is experiencing steadily rising popularity as the country prepares for national elections next year. In Germany, the anti-immigrant Alternative for Germany polled strongly in recent state elections.

Right-wing leaders in Hungary and Poland are hostile to immigrants, while critics say the governments of those countries are also rewriting national laws to undermine democratic checks and balances. In Italy, the anti-establishment Five Star Movement scored major victories last Sunday by winning mayoral elections in Turin and, more important, in the capital, Rome.

Donald Tusk, one of the European Union’s top leaders, has started to talk about the risks facing the political establishment. At a speech last month before Europe’s coalition of center-right political parties, Mr. Tusk cautioned his fellow political elites.

“Obsessed with the idea of instant and total integration, we failed to notice that ordinary people, the citizens of Europe, do not share our euro-enthusiasm,” said Mr. Tusk, the president of the European Council,

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/06/25/world/europe/brexit-eu-politics.html?action=click&pgtype=Homepage&clickSource=story-heading&module=span-abc-region®ion=span-abc-region&WT.nav=span-abc-region

When They Go Low, I Go High
Updated On: 6/24/16 at 10:06 AM

madbrian Profile Photo
madbrian
#15The UK says goodbye to the EU
Posted: 6/24/16 at 10:16am

The parallels between the Brexit movement and Trump are stunning. 

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/brexit-xenophobia-donald-trump_us_576c3522e4b0f1683238dff2?section=

ChildofEarth Profile Photo
ChildofEarth
#16The UK says goodbye to the EU
Posted: 6/24/16 at 10:22am

I mean this is the off topic board but: "What comes next? You’ve been freed - do you know how hard it is to lead? You’re on your own. Awesome. Wow. Do you have a clue what happens now?"

To think I was considering taking a transfer three years ago. Thank goodness I thought better of it - this is going to get ugly.

madbrian Profile Photo
madbrian
#17The UK says goodbye to the EU
Posted: 6/24/16 at 10:34am

The relevant section of the EU Treaty:

"A Member State which decides to withdraw shall notify the European Council of its intention. In the light of the guidelines provided by the European Council, the Union shall negotiate and conclude an agreement with that State, setting out the arrangements for its withdrawal, taking account of the framework for its future relationship with the Union. That agreement shall be negotiated in accordance with Article 218(3) of the Treaty on the Functioning of the European Union. It shall be concluded on behalf of the Union by the Council, acting by a qualified majority, after obtaining the consent of the European Parliament."

The EU is going to be incredibly harsh on Britain, both to act in its own best interest and to deter other countries from leaving.

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#18The UK says goodbye to the EU
Posted: 6/24/16 at 12:52pm

Angry Populaces have never been all they're cracked up to be.

madbrian Profile Photo
madbrian
#19The UK says goodbye to the EU
Posted: 6/24/16 at 1:18pm

The ignorance/remorse being shown all over TV by 'Leave' voters is astounding.

songanddanceman2
#20The UK says goodbye to the EU
Posted: 6/24/16 at 1:39pm

The Leave voters now saying they are regretting the vote are making me want to punch them. 

CarlosAlberto Profile Photo
CarlosAlberto
#21The UK says goodbye to the EU
Posted: 6/24/16 at 3:08pm

Liza's Headband said: "Honey, if that's you in your profile picture? You definitely need to delete your avatar and any social media accounts that include it. Also, you need to hire a personal stylist and fitness trainer....

You're an @ss...If you're so gotdamn perfect I dare you put up your real picture as your avatar. 

I didn't think you could reach any lower than you have but you've proven me wrong. 

Jay Lerner-Z Profile Photo
Jay Lerner-Z
#22The UK says goodbye to the EU
Posted: 6/24/16 at 3:09pm

I wonder who'll take over from Cameron. I don't feel the least bit sorry for him. It's his own fault for calling such an irresponsible referendum just because it suited his own party political games.

I know Boris Johnson hogs the publicity, but will they really choose him as the successor? Is he really the buffoon he seems or is it all an act? Also, from my faraway vantage point, Nicola Sturgeon seems to be an impressive and capable leader, so I expect Scotland will do just fine with her at the helm.

Beyoncé is not an ally. Actions speak louder than words, Mrs. Carter. #Dubai #$$$

songanddanceman2
#23The UK says goodbye to the EU
Posted: 6/24/16 at 3:23pm

I really hope Boris doesn't get in.

MichelleCraig Profile Photo
MichelleCraig
#24The UK says goodbye to the EU
Posted: 6/24/16 at 4:32pm

This sort of blew my mind. It's being reported a lot, but here's one example. Seems like many people had no idea what they were voting for:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-3657997/Britain-s-Google-searches-hint-people-didn-t-know-voting-for.html

songanddanceman2
#25The UK says goodbye to the EU
Posted: 6/24/16 at 5:04pm

They didn't, I think so many leave supporters thought this was a government thing (conservatives, Labour etc) and a lot just heard 'immigration'. It's such a strange day here in the UK.

Videos