News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

Oak Speaks out on great comet controversy- Page 10

Oak Speaks out on great comet controversy

Dave28282 Profile Photo
Dave28282
#225Oak Speaks out on great comet controversy
Posted: 10/6/17 at 5:19pm

PaulWom said: "http://deadline.com/2017/10/greys-anatomy-spinoff-grey-damon-okieriete-onaodowan-danielle-savre-barrett-doss-cast-shondaland-series-1202183494/

So he faces absolutely no consequences at all for his actions. Wonderful.
"

It's just like the racist transgender who was fired from L'oreal and is now hired by other racists from another brand. There will always be fellow fools on your side.

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#226Oak Speaks out on great comet controversy
Posted: 10/6/17 at 5:28pm

Absolutely disgusting. Just like Oak.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

Speed
#227Oak Speaks out on great comet controversy
Posted: 10/6/17 at 8:55pm

rosscoe(au) said: "Well I have seen some very tragic posters on this board over the years,but speed takes the cake.. dude get some new meds"

A) I am bipolar.

B) How dare you make a joke about someone/anyone taking meds!  Mental illness is no joke.

Speed
#228Oak Speaks out on great comet controversy
Posted: 10/6/17 at 9:02pm

songanddanceman2 said: "Speed said: "Oak is a human being and aprofessional actor himself. Deserves better than "narcissistic nobody." Andy Karl may be a Broadway veteranbut he was entrusted with TWO huge Broadway musicals (Rocky and Groundhog Day) and completely failed to turn either into a hit. Pierre isn't really a lead role like what Andy had in Rocky and GD. Shouldn't Andy be held to a higher standard? Maybe Andy is the "big old nobody" that should never be hired again. Also, it was always going to be hard for Oak to have Andy's "veteran" career because he is BLACK and there just aren't enough roles for him. Hamilton has given voice to a lot of actors who had never had the opportunity on Broadway because the roles didn't exist."

Speed are you that ridiculous? First of all the star of Rocky was the name of the show, Karl got great reviews and a Tony nomination but sadly the show only half worked. As for Groundhog Day, his reviewer again were brilliant AND he won the Olivier Award for Best Actor during the HIT UK run.
"

I was responding to people saying Oak should be fired because he was the star and he wasn't selling tickets.  So why doesn't that apply to Andy Karl?  By all accounts, Karl is great to work with and yes, he has an award and nominations, but he didn't sell tickets!  I'm not saying Karl should've been fired.  I'm saying some of you are hypocrites who only think Oak should be fired for not selling ticket but not others.

GeorgeandDot Profile Photo
GeorgeandDot
#229Oak Speaks out on great comet controversy
Posted: 10/6/17 at 9:18pm

I'm not saying that they should have fired him.  I'm saying that they have every right to, and I understand why they did.

Speed
#231Oak Speaks out on great comet controversy
Posted: 10/6/17 at 9:31pm

Okay.  Different people in this thread are saying different things.

verilyi2
#232Oak Speaks out on great comet controversy
Posted: 10/6/17 at 9:34pm

Cross Bones off the list.

Agents used to be better at managing their clients' PR!

verilyi2
#233Oak Speaks out on great comet controversy
Posted: 10/6/17 at 9:34pm

Cross Bones off the list.

Speed
#234Oak Speaks out on great comet controversy
Posted: 10/6/17 at 9:40pm

Mandy Patinkin's professionalism:

http://nypost.com/2000/04/14/wild-behavior-at-party/

THAT is unprofessional!  Comet cast may have ended up begging for Oak to come back.

Speed
#235Oak Speaks out on great comet controversy
Posted: 10/6/17 at 9:43pm

verilyi2 said: "Cross Bones off the list.

"

Yes you did such a great job cursing Oak's career.  Exactly what list are you cutting Bones off of?  It has already completed its record setting 12 year run.

Speed
#237Oak Speaks out on great comet controversy
Posted: 10/6/17 at 9:48pm

Tapping23 said: "Speed said: "Okay. Different people in this thread are saying different things."

The producers saw Oaks talent and figured the Hamilton tie in would sell tickets. It was not Oaks fault. Also when the other girl was leaving the advance was nothing. Mandy saw the show wnd said to the producers I would loce to do it one day. The producers could only get Mandy for 3 weeks before Homeland started. That happened to be the last 3 weeks for Oak. It was all supposedly understoof why they were bringing mandy in and an open offer to Oak to come back and they would start negotiating with his team. That is why the producers came out and said they hoped to have him back in the fall and winter. They were to start rehearsing with mandy and then oak posted that day or the next day he woild not be coming back without telling the producers first. So the producers looked like they were doing something underhanded when everyone knew exactly what was going on. The show was not strong enough to withstand a “name” to get people in the door. Once people saw the show they loved it. The producers failed but they were not screwing oak. Even with the stuff they pulled with Malloy talking about it in the Times article they STILL wanted him back because in the end he is freaking talented.

"

Do we know for sure that they really wanted Oak to return?  Or were they just saying that to be "nice" to Oak?  That happens a lot.  Jason Pebworth was put on "3 months vocal rest" from 2000 JCS revival but he never returned.  He was never coming back.  He was fired.  If it was something similar with Oak, I could see how he was annoyed.

Speed
#239Oak Speaks out on great comet controversy
Posted: 10/6/17 at 10:10pm

The thing is none of us really know what happened. The true story in situations like this never get out.

TheatreFan4 Profile Photo
TheatreFan4
#240Oak Speaks out on great comet controversy
Posted: 10/7/17 at 6:06pm

>Speed: He IS entitled to the part.  He signed a contract!  And unless it said he must sell X amount of tickets to keep his job, then they should keep their end of the deal.  No they cannot fire actors whenever they like. 

I'm jumping backward to the mid point of the this thread because OH MY GOD YES YOU CAN! 1996, Cameron McIntosh sees the production Les Miz on Broadway was appalled by what he saw and fired almost the entire cast effective a couple months later.

If Oak's contract says he can't be fired then he'd be having a law suit right now. Do you see a law suit? The contractual obligations the producers had to him was to pay him, which they were happily going to continue doing. His contractual obligations to them would be to perform. They can choose to bench him at any time. I offer up as an example 2006, The Wedding Singer, Matthew Saldivar was benched with full pay so that Constantine Maroulis could come into help bring up the grosses.

Broadway is a business. Do you continue to do as much as you can help keep the entire cast employed and the show open or do you let the show close with an actor who came into the show disrespecting it while you had a star waiting in the wings to get you through the dry weeks of Broadway before the holiday season?

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#241Oak Speaks out on great comet controversy
Posted: 10/7/17 at 6:15pm

A couple days ago I replied to schmark19’s reddit reply with the question “has anybody kept in contact with oak since he left the show” and then schmark replied to me saying something across the lines of “I wasn’t really close to oak, but he was gracious during rehearsals.” Then he went on to say something like “I won’t support in the badmouthing of Dave and Rachel.” Please don’t take this word for word, because I absolutely don’t remember it all since Schmark has deleted the reply. Ugh, I should have taken a screenshot. But it was really interesting to read what he said and I wonder why he deleted the reply

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement
Updated On: 10/7/17 at 06:15 PM

everythingtaboo Profile Photo
everythingtaboo
#242Oak Speaks out on great comet controversy
Posted: 3/27/20 at 10:59am

I guess someone is still bitter:

https://twitter.com/OakSmash/status/1242455316203274240

"Hey little girls, look at all the men in shiny shirts and no wives!" - Jackie Hoffman, Xanadu, 19 Feb 2008

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#243Oak Speaks out on great comet controversy
Posted: 3/27/20 at 11:02am

I can hear Erivo cracking her knuckles getting ready to fire up the twitter machine.

SouthernCakes
#244Oak Speaks out on great comet controversy
Posted: 3/27/20 at 2:47pm

His twitter name is “the incredible oak?” 🤮🤮

Dancingthrulife2 Profile Photo
Dancingthrulife2
#245Oak Speaks out on great comet controversy
Posted: 3/27/20 at 2:56pm

Was he ever hired again after controversy?

Impossible2
#246Oak Speaks out on great comet controversy
Posted: 3/27/20 at 3:09pm

SouthernCakes said: "His twitter name is “the incredible oak?” ??"

Hardly surprising.

He used to have a Ted Talk he'd given about empathy at the top of his page, just before he put 200 people out of work...

Fosse76
#247Oak Speaks out on great comet controversy
Posted: 3/27/20 at 3:11pm

Dancingthrulife2 said: "Was he ever hired again after controversy?"

Wasn't he cast in some type of tv show around the time of all of this? 

broadway86 Profile Photo
broadway86
#248Oak Speaks out on great comet controversy
Posted: 3/27/20 at 3:11pm

Dancingthrulife2 said: "Was he ever hired again after controversy?"

It looks like he's been a series regular on a show called Station 19 since 2018.

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#249Oak Speaks out on great comet controversy
Posted: 3/27/20 at 4:21pm

Indeed. He plays Dean Miller, one of the principals of ABC TV’s STATION 19, which is a spin-off of GREY’S ANATOMY. The series has been renewed for Season 4. 

Way to go, Oak!  yes

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#250Oak Speaks out on great comet controversy
Posted: 3/27/20 at 4:30pm

Love him, he has Hamilton and Shonda money, he is doing pretty damn great. 

VotePeron Profile Photo
VotePeron
GiantsInTheSky2 Profile Photo
GiantsInTheSky2
#252Oak Speaks out on great comet controversy
Posted: 3/27/20 at 5:13pm

No, Oak, people didn’t love you being underprepared and unprofessional.

I am big. It’s the REVIVALS that got small.

Videos