News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

& JULIET On Broadway - Reviews & News Thread- Page 13

& JULIET On Broadway - Reviews & News Thread

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#300& JULIET On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 2/19/23 at 3:41pm

As the show has settled into somewhat of a groove by now — and with awards season on the horizon — several principals have announced future vacation dates. Don't miss these understudies:

Rachel Webb will be on for Juliet from April 10-16.

Tiernan Tunnicliffe will be on for Anne from February 28 — March 5, and on March 30 and 31.

Joe Moeller will be on for Shakespeare from April 4-9, and on May 11.

Daniel J. Maldonado will be on for Romeo from April 10-16.

Matt Raffy will be on for May from March 7-12.

Oh look, a bibu!

Dylan Smith4 Profile Photo
Dylan Smith4
#301& JULIET On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 2/19/23 at 4:13pm

Matt and Daniel are both amazing! I got to see them both last fall! You definitely don’t wanna miss their performances! 

The idea is to work and to experiment. Some things will be creatively successful, some things will succeed at the box office, and some things will only - which is the biggest only - teach you things that see the future. And they're probably as valuable as any of your successes. -Harold Prince

nativenewyorker2
#302& JULIET On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 2/19/23 at 5:22pm

hearthemsing22 said: "PRO: The whole show. I do agree the book could use some work, but overall I found myself enjoying the show more than critiquing it!

CON: Audience behavior....it has gone WAY downhill. I don't get it.
"

Two middle aged white women were dancing in the box seats like they were drunk at a wedding when I saw it

Skip23 Profile Photo
Skip23
#303& JULIET On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 2/19/23 at 6:18pm

as for &JULIET...it's sort of the new TONY AND TINA'S WEDDING.  Audience participation is kinda expected.  

trpguyy
#304& JULIET On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 2/19/23 at 8:06pm

Skip23 said: "as for &JULIET...it's sort of the new TONY AND TINA'S WEDDING. Audience participation is kinda expected."

Not really. It much more closely resembles Mamma Mia, and the only “participation” is when the audience is invited to get up and dance during the bows.

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#305& JULIET On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 2/25/23 at 11:25pm

Another understudy update:

Megan Kane will be on for Angelique on April 22 and 23. 

Oh look, a bibu!

kwoc91
#306& JULIET On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 3/2/23 at 10:01am

I was at the show last night...I tried so hard to resist its charm but I had so much fun!

Some of the song choices were more successfully integrated into the plot than others...my favorite was Oops I Did It Again.

Quite a few understudies on last night but everyone did an excellent job - Rachel Webb has a fantastic voice and I loved Tiernan Tunnicliffe. Tiernan's Celine Dion number brought the house down.

Shoutout to the audience as well - everyone was into it but not bringing "I'm the main character of the Stephen Sondheim Theatre" energy.

hearthemsing22
#307& JULIET On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 3/4/23 at 8:52am

kwoc91 said: "I was at the show last night...I tried so hard to resist its charm but I had so much fun!

Some of the song choices were more successfully integrated into the plot than others...my favorite was Oops I Did It Again.

Quite a few understudies on last night but everyone did an excellent job -Rachel Webb has a fantastic voice and I loved Tiernan Tunnicliffe. Tiernan's Celine Dion number brought the house down.

Shoutout to the audience as well - everyone was into it but not bringing "I'm the main character of the Stephen Sondheim Theatre" energy.
"

I’ve now seen Tiernan go on for Anne twice and she only got better since the last time. I love when that happens! Rachel Webb was also amazing. I truly think it is impossible to watch this show without smiling. I just love the show so much. I’m very curious as to which Tony nominations it will get. 

SisterGeorge
#308& JULIET On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 3/4/23 at 7:27pm

kwoc91 said: "I was at the show last night...I tried so hard to resist its charm but I had so much fun!

Quite a few understudies on last night but everyone did an excellent job -Rachel Webb has a fantastic voice and I loved Tiernan Tunnicliffe. Tiernan's Celine Dion number brought the house down.

"

I just got out of the matinee and 100% agree with everything you’ve said from first word to last.

Sister George

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#309& JULIET On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 3/4/23 at 7:36pm

hearthemsing22 said: "kwoc91 said: "I was at the show last night...I tried so hard to resist its charm but I had so much fun!

"

I’ve now seen Tiernan go on for Anne twice and she only got better since the last time. I love when that happens! Rachel Webb was also amazing. I truly think it is impossible to watch this show without smiling. I just love the show so much. I’m very curious as to which Tony nominations it will get.
"

Not so many, I presume… maybe 6 or 7, including Best Musical. 

I hear producers are trying to push for Courtney to appear on Kelly Clarkson’s talk show sometime during awards season, so they can recreate their “Since U Been Gone” for a Kellyoke. 

Oh look, a bibu!

NotThatSmart Profile Photo
NotThatSmart
#310& JULIET On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 3/8/23 at 12:49am

Where has Lorna Courtney been? She appears to have been out almost all last week and was out tonight as well. 

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#311& JULIET On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 3/8/23 at 11:00am

Rachel will no longer be playing Juliet the week of April 11. 

Oh look, a bibu!

60'splayoff Profile Photo
60'splayoff
#312& JULIET On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 3/8/23 at 4:06pm

Yeah curious about this as well. I have tickets for Sat night and while I'm sure the covers are terrific, I am looking forward to seeing Lorna.

According to Rachel's IG, Kim went on today and Rachel will be Juliet tonight.

trpguyy
#313& JULIET On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 3/8/23 at 4:19pm

NotThatSmart said: "Where has Lorna Courtney been? She appearsto have been out almost all last week and was out tonight as well."

I’m not saying this is the case, but an actor with Covid will be out of their show for at least 10 days, with no public explanation needed. An actor who has bad/lingering covid symptoms, or any other of the many illnesses that humans can contract, may be out of their show for even longer than that. 

NotThatSmart
#314& JULIET On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 3/9/23 at 12:11pm

60'splayoff said: "Yeah curious about this as well. I have tickets for Sat night and while I'm sure the covers are terrific, I am looking forward to seeing Lorna.

According to Rachel's IG, Kim went on today and Rachel will be Juliet tonight.
"

I was at yesterdays matinee with Kim. She was WONDERFUL. Absolutely fabulous. I mainly went for Betsy and Stark- who were both there and FABULOUS. Rachel Webb went on Tuesday night and last night as well. I just caught it odd that Lorna has been gone so long!

NotThatSmart
#315& JULIET On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 3/9/23 at 12:13pm

trpguyy said: "NotThatSmart said: "Where has Lorna Courtney been? She appearsto have been out almost all last week and was out tonight as well."

I’m not saying this is the case, but an actor with Covid will be out of their show for at least 10 days, with no public explanation needed. An actor who has bad/lingering covid symptoms, or any other of the many illnesses that humans can contract, may be out of their show for even longer than that.
"

It does appear this is a likely possibility. Matt Raffy is supposed to be covering May, and they were also out Tuesday and Wednesday. Same with Romeo. 

dwwst12 Profile Photo
dwwst12
#316& JULIET On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 4/7/23 at 1:16pm

I'm planning to try to TKTS the show either Thursday or Saturday next week. I can see via the website that it's frequently on the board... but does anybody have insight as to how many tickets they usually send to the booth, and where the seats are? Thanks!

dwwst12 Profile Photo
dwwst12
#317& JULIET On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 4/20/23 at 10:03am

I'm going to answer my own question, in case it's helpful to somebody else. I bought TKTS on three different days for different combinations of friends and family, and what I got each time were dead Center Orchestra, Rows C, D, or E, for $163.

I believe that at least the D and E's are premium seats, knocked down to regular-ish prices. 

Great seats, and absolutely loved the show.

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#318& JULIET On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 4/23/23 at 5:38pm

Last week, Veronica Otim returned from a 2 and a half month injury absence, stepping back into Lady Capulet and also making her long-awaited Juliet debut. 

Joomin Hwang made his Broadway principal debut this afternoon as François. 

Also, Rachel just revealed she will be on for Juliet this Wednesday and Thursday, with July dates TBA later. 

Oh look, a bibu!

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#319& JULIET On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 4/24/23 at 3:11pm

The company will perform from the show on Late Night With Seth Meyers tomorrow evening. 

Oh look, a bibu!

HeyMrMusic Profile Photo
HeyMrMusic
#320& JULIET On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 4/24/23 at 4:27pm

I would have loved to see Joomin as François! According to his IG, he’s the first Korean native to play a principal role on Broadway not specifically written for an Asian actor. The videos of the curtain call that people have been posting have been so heartwarming. Stark made a special speech about the occasion.

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#321& JULIET On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 4/24/23 at 5:45pm

In an Instagram post today wishing Kelly Clarkson a happy birthday (with a video of Lorna Courtney crooning Clarkson's new song), the musical added a comment that reads: "Stay tuned for something special coming soon."

Please tell me the Lorna Kellyoke rumors are true.

Oh look, a bibu!
Updated On: 4/24/23 at 05:45 PM

hearthemsing22
#322& JULIET On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 4/25/23 at 8:39am

HeyMrMusic said: "I would have loved to see Joomin as François! According to his IG, he’s the first Korean native to play a principal role on Broadway not specifically written for an Asian actor. The videos of the curtain call that people have been posting have been so heartwarming. Stark made a special speech about the occasion."

From the videos I've seen, Stark also said he did not know English a year ago??? I'm SO proud of him. 

HeyMrMusic Profile Photo
HeyMrMusic
#323& JULIET On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 4/25/23 at 11:45am

I believe it was ten years ago when he didn't know any English, but that's still such an accomplishment.

trpguyy
#324& JULIET On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 4/25/23 at 2:12pm

^ correct, Stark said that it was 10 years ago. 

Incidentally, I’ve heard Joomin say that he learned English from watching “Smash.”

Videos