News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

WOMEN ON THE VERGE OF A NERVOUS BREAKDOWN begins previews TONIGHT!- Page 14

WOMEN ON THE VERGE OF A NERVOUS BREAKDOWN begins previews TONIGHT!

StageManager2 Profile Photo
StageManager2
#325WOMEN ON THE VERGE OF A NERVOUS BREAKDOWN begins previews TONIGHT!
Posted: 10/11/10 at 1:17pm

"I think everyone is pretty much unanimous that we love all of the parties involved, we just think the material is bad."

Have you bothered reading this thread? There are people who like this show, so your assessment "everyone is pretty much unanimous" is wrong.
-------------------------------------------------------------------

Do you like reading comprehension skills? That poster was saying that, while everyone who's posted in this thread love all the parties involved (that's unanimous), there are some of us who think the material is bad.

Salve, Regina, Mater misericordiae
Vita, dulcedo, et spes nostra
Salve, Salve Regina
Ad te clamamus exsules filii Eva
Ad te suspiramus, gementes et flentes
O clemens O pia

dancingthrulife04 Profile Photo
dancingthrulife04
#326WOMEN ON THE VERGE OF A NERVOUS BREAKDOWN begins previews TONIGHT!
Posted: 10/11/10 at 1:25pm

2 hours 50 minutes a few shows back. That will doubtless get tighter as technical kinks and timing are worked out.

Thank you!

http://www.beintheheights.com/katnicole1 (Please click and help me win!) I chose, and my world was shaken- So what?
The choice may have been mistaken, The choosing was not...
"Every day has the potential to be the greatest day of your life." - Lin-Manuel Miranda
"And when Idina Menzel is singing, I'm always slightly worried that her teeth are going to jump out of her mouth and chase me." - Schmerg_the_Impaler

Sean2 Profile Photo
Sean2
#327WOMEN ON THE VERGE OF A NERVOUS BREAKDOWN begins previews TONIGHT!
Posted: 10/11/10 at 1:30pm

Noting the comments made about Bart Sher and the state of the show in previews: several times during previews in his Seattle productions, actors went onstage with scripts. He's developed a reputation for not being ready on time, unfortunately, with the show (and audience) paying the price.

Unforgivable in my opinion.

Baileyboo
#328WOMEN ON THE VERGE OF A NERVOUS BREAKDOWN begins previews TONIGHT!
Posted: 10/11/10 at 1:31pm

If you discount the opinions of those who just signed up, I would say that this discussion is mostly negative.

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#329WOMEN ON THE VERGE OF A NERVOUS BREAKDOWN begins previews TONIGHT!
Posted: 10/11/10 at 1:47pm

Just remember - if you join to post a negative opinion about this show, you're a troll. If you join to praise it, you will be thanked for your contribution. This formula is not scientific and changes from show to show, depending on the advance buzz and who is involved.

Reginald Tresilian Profile Photo
Reginald Tresilian
#330WOMEN ON THE VERGE OF A NERVOUS BREAKDOWN begins previews TONIGHT!
Posted: 10/11/10 at 1:51pm

I thought if you joined to praise a show you were a shill.

#331WOMEN ON THE VERGE OF A NERVOUS BREAKDOWN begins previews TONIGHT!
Posted: 10/11/10 at 1:51pm

Unlike most other shows where if you join to praise the show, you're a troll. If you join to blast it, you will be thanked for your contribution.

Personally I think it's the presence pf Patti LuPone that has reversed polarity this one time.

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#332WOMEN ON THE VERGE OF A NERVOUS BREAKDOWN begins previews TONIGHT!
Posted: 10/11/10 at 1:52pm

It might be, Joe.

Reg, like I said, it depends on the show.

I do wonder why they have accents if they are all ostensibly speaking Spanish.

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#333WOMEN ON THE VERGE OF A NERVOUS BREAKDOWN begins previews TONIGHT!
Posted: 10/11/10 at 1:58pm

The accents are all over the map and they go in and out. Patti sounded Italian at one point.

Phyllis, I dont know about you but Im waiting for the Opening Night photos! :)

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

Reginald Tresilian Profile Photo
Reginald Tresilian
#334WOMEN ON THE VERGE OF A NERVOUS BREAKDOWN begins previews TONIGHT!
Posted: 10/11/10 at 1:58pm

They should just have a lottery and pick one cast member to have an accent--like Bob Gunton in "Evita."

GuidosDaddy
#335WOMEN ON THE VERGE OF A NERVOUS BREAKDOWN begins previews TONIGHT!
Posted: 10/11/10 at 2:05pm

So, because I'm new to the board and liked the show, my review is discredited...hmmm..sounds like every other message board out there in the interwebs.

I will say I'm no shill, just a meek librarian from San Francisco who flies 2500 miles twice a year to see shows in NYC and I see everything that passes through here-or premieres here (Tales of the City-I'm lookin' at you!). I am a huge fan of Broadway, have seen many shows and happen to love WOTV. No one forced me to see a preview, it was my birthday Saturday and I wanted to spend it with Ms. Lupone and I am glad I did.

Cheers!

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#336WOMEN ON THE VERGE OF A NERVOUS BREAKDOWN begins previews TONIGHT!
Posted: 10/11/10 at 2:09pm

GuidosDaddy, I dont think anyone was referring to you. Sorry if you felt slighted. I think someone was addressing the newbies with new accounts, no avatar who are vehement and off putting in their defense of things. They seem like shills.

I am glad you loved the show. :)

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

Baileyboo
#337WOMEN ON THE VERGE OF A NERVOUS BREAKDOWN begins previews TONIGHT!
Posted: 10/11/10 at 2:11pm

I personally have not seen the show, and therefore offer no opinion whatsoever. However, right or wrong, new poster's opinions are given far less weight until their intentions become clearer. Whether positive or negative, it is assumed that a new contributor arrives with an agenda. If this is not the case, eventually you will be judged on your body of postings.

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#338WOMEN ON THE VERGE OF A NERVOUS BREAKDOWN begins previews TONIGHT!
Posted: 10/11/10 at 2:12pm

They have accents? Why? If they are all speaking English, it isn't necessary. It's the equivalent of seeing Oklahoma in Madrid where they all speak Spanish, but attempting a classic Southern American accent. Or a Broadway production of Les Miserables with French accents. It isn't needed to follow the story unless you have characters from vastly different cultural backgrounds.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

Play  Esq. Profile Photo
Play Esq.
#339WOMEN ON THE VERGE OF A NERVOUS BREAKDOWN begins previews TONIGHT!
Posted: 10/11/10 at 2:14pm

Another review here with pictures of the curtain.

www.familycircle.typepad.com

Updated On: 10/11/10 at 02:14 PM

matty159 Profile Photo
matty159
#340WOMEN ON THE VERGE OF A NERVOUS BREAKDOWN begins previews TONIGHT!
Posted: 10/11/10 at 2:22pm

I'm not seeing the show until the 30th, but as a concierge I can tell you that guests that saw the show over the weekend thoroughly enjoyed the show.

So again, it is only a complete and utter disaster in some people's eyes.

After Eight
#341WOMEN ON THE VERGE OF A NERVOUS BREAKDOWN begins previews TONIGHT!
Posted: 10/11/10 at 2:38pm

"Do you like reading comprehension skills?"

Yes, I like them. Do you?

That poster was saying that, while everyone who's posted in this thread love all the parties involved (that's unanimous), there are some of us who think the material is bad.

Nope. That's not how it's written.

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#342WOMEN ON THE VERGE OF A NERVOUS BREAKDOWN begins previews TONIGHT!
Posted: 10/11/10 at 2:51pm

Does the new overture have any of the catchy music played in the 60 second radio spot?

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

dramarama3
#343WOMEN ON THE VERGE OF A NERVOUS BREAKDOWN begins previews TONIGHT!
Posted: 10/11/10 at 3:46pm

This thread is embarrassing.

Formerly 'dramarama2'

dramarama4
#344WOMEN ON THE VERGE OF A NERVOUS BREAKDOWN begins previews TONIGHT!
Posted: 10/11/10 at 3:54pm

This thread is embarrassing.

Formerly 'dramarama3'

TimesSquared Profile Photo
TimesSquared
#345POSTERS ON THE VERGE OF A NERVOUS BREAKDOWN begins previews TONIGHT!
Posted: 10/11/10 at 3:59pm

CLASSIC first-week-of-previews s#it storm!

Donthatecongratulate Profile Photo
Donthatecongratulate
#346WOMEN ON THE VERGE OF A NERVOUS BREAKDOWN begins previews TONIGHT!
Posted: 10/11/10 at 4:04pm

you said it right dramarama3. especially as a new member to broadwayworld.com. I'm embarrassed to be in an industry with such hateful and unsupportive people.

Let's see, asshole or shill.....? Shill please & thank you Bettyboy72.

So anyway, "Does the new overture have any of the catchy music played in the 60 second radio spot?"

I don't remember hearing it, but definitely heard it throughout the show.

I think they used Spanish accents to really clarify the fact that the show is in Madrid & there is a certain comedic flavor that happens when accents are involved. People still need to realized though that these are SPANIARDS and not Caribbean Latinos. Lots of Spaniards are very fluent in English and only have slight accents. Research people. (sigh)

" If this is not the case, eventually you will be judged on your body of postings."

Laughable! Don't worry, you won't have that opportunity. I don't even live in New York City, and have waaaaaaaay too many fabulous things happening in my life to worry about acceptance from you. WOMEN ON THE VERGE OF A NERVOUS BREAKDOWN begins previews TONIGHT!

"Don't f*** a baby. I'll get rid of your AIDS. If you f*** this frog."

dramarama4
#347WOMEN ON THE VERGE OF A NERVOUS BREAKDOWN begins previews TONIGHT!
Posted: 10/11/10 at 4:05pm

Your welcome!

Formerly 'dramarama3'
Updated On: 10/11/10 at 04:05 PM

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#348WOMEN ON THE VERGE OF A NERVOUS BREAKDOWN begins previews TONIGHT!
Posted: 10/11/10 at 4:08pm

But the play takes place in Spain. They are not speaking English to each other. They are speaking Spanish, but the audience would hear it as English. It makes the accents moot. Critical thinking, people. (sigh).

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#349WOMEN ON THE VERGE OF A NERVOUS BREAKDOWN begins previews TONIGHT!
Posted: 10/11/10 at 4:10pm

Official song list and understudies from IBDB

Act 1
My Crazy Heart ....................................... The Women

Lie to Me ....................................... Pepa and Ivan

Lovesick ....................................... Pepa and Ensemble

Time Stood Still ....................................... Lucia

My Crazy Heart (Reprise) ....................................... Taxi Driver, Carlos, Marisa and Ensemble

Model Behavior ....................................... Candela

Island ....................................... Pepa

The Microphone ....................................... Ivan and Carlos

On the Verge ....................................... Ambite, Lucia, Pepa, Candela, Marisa and the Women

Act 2
Madrid ....................................... Taxi Driver

Mother's Day ....................................... Pepa

Yesterday, Tomorrow and Today ....................................... Ivan

Tangled ....................................... Taxi Driver, Carlos, Candela, Ivan, Pepa, Paulina, Ana and Ambite

Invisible ....................................... Lucia

Island (Reprise) ....................................... Pepa, Candela and Carlos

Marisa/The Chase ....................................... Marisa and Ensemble

Lie to Me (Reprise) ....................................... Ivan

Shoes from Heaven ....................................... The Women

Understudies: Julio Agustin (Malik), De'Adre Aziza (Pepa), John Carroll (Malik, Man at Train, Telephone Repairman), Alma Cuervo (Lucia, Pepa's Concierge), Rachel Bay Jones (Ivan's Concierge, Lucia, Magistrate 2, Pepa's Concierge, Woman in Cinema), Nina Lafarga (Marisa, Paulina), Yanira Marin (Ana, Cristina, Marisa), Sean McCourt (Chief Inspector, Ivan, Taxi Driver), Vivian Nixon (Candela, Paulina), Luis Salgado (Ambite, Detective), Jennifer Sanchez (Candela), John Schiappa (Doctor, Hector, Magistrate, Man in Cinema, Taxi Driver), Samantha Shafer (Ana, Cristina, Pepa, Woman at Train), Phillip Spaeth (Carlos, Telephone Repairman), Matthew Steffens (Ambite), Charlie Sutton (Carlos, Detective).

Videos