News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

HELLO, DOLLY! Previews

icecreambenjamin Profile Photo
icecreambenjamin
#325HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 3/19/17 at 4:37am

brian1973 said: "This isn't the london Charlie set.. it's BRAND NEW.. everyone seems to take a long time getting this fact. It's a new production.

icecreambenjamin said: "brian1973 said: "How can anyone possibly say how many Tonys it will win!!

costume wise it will have very stiff competition from War Paint and poss Charlie, and Set design possibly Charlie again?

its pretty much a dead very though that Bette would win.. everyone will be seduced by the sheer star power alone.

"

I expect for The Great Comet and War Paint to provide a very large amount of competition for costume and I would be incredibly surprised if anyone other than the Great Comet won set design.  Charlie's set didn't get great reviews over in London.  We'll see if they made any changes.  Midler is basically a lock at this point, as is Ben Platt, both of whom are deserving.

"

Do you need medication?  Because your constant forceful use of negative attitude suggests to me that you should probably be medicated.

SweetLips Profile Photo
SweetLips
#326HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 3/19/17 at 4:54am

Robbie2 said: "HELLO, DOLLY! Previews

I heard some fvukwit in the crowd say 'well THAT was a let down ! '

Well that 40$ million LEGEND just gave the show of her life for 2 hrs plus, and you[male] want another performance outside just to make you happy???

I could just slap some people.

If you want to wait and gaze in awe at this tiny person who generates such power, then do so.

Witness how Bette responds with such grace,dignity and just a trace of humour[mini curtseys]--that's how a LEGEND leaves a stage door.

Edit--I'm referring to Robbie2 post re instagram

Updated On: 3/19/17 at 04:54 AM

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#327HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 3/19/17 at 4:59am

Cat Guy said: "Well, that blows the element of surprise I wanted."

If you want to be surprised, this thread seemed like a bad choice.

florida theatre kid Profile Photo
florida theatre kid
#328HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 3/19/17 at 10:12am

I saw last night's preview performance (Saturday), and I will agree, it's glorious as everyone says! Bette is giving a performance you feel lucky to witness. Gavin Creel and Taylor Trensch are standouts for me as well. Beanie Feinstein as well, where has she been?! Will Burton and Melanie Moore have probably the smallest featured roles, but have a really great dance duet during the contest. But the real winners for me are that ensemble!!! Just mesmerizing. Every single dancer was a stand out. I hid chills more times than I can count. Warren Carlyle has done something special with this show. "Sunday Clothes" had me smiling bigger than I can remember in the theatre. "The Waiters Gallop" reminded me why I wanted to dance as a little boy. 

BUT: I will say, I was the last row of the mezzanine, and the audience around me was a CIRCUS. Cell phones recording, people screaming "I love you Bette!", talking throughout. The House Manager came and pulled people out on one point for recording and they didn't return to the show....this was about 20 minutes into the show if even. Big props to the staff at the Shubert right now, I have a feeling this will be recurring and they are handling it amazing.

But still, not enough to take away from one of the best nights on Broadway right now. 

Updated On: 3/19/17 at 10:12 AM

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#329HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 3/19/17 at 7:26pm

anyone know if they sold SRO at any performances?

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

kofler22
#330HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 3/19/17 at 7:54pm

Are they selling merchandise? What type? Thnx a lot!!

Auggie27 Profile Photo
Auggie27
#331HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 3/19/17 at 7:58pm

Yep, the pictures of the Harmonia Gardens are pretty much what we all hoped for. This is an event, and it's glorious to read so much genuine love and affection for this convergence of so many beloved theatrical components.

I find myself thinking of Jerry Herman, who so deserves this, and must be over the moon. May he savor every single minute.  

"I'm a comedian, but in my spare time, things bother me." Garry Shandling

Skimbleshanks2 Profile Photo
Skimbleshanks2
#332HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 3/19/17 at 8:42pm

I was lucky enough to get a canceled ticket on TELECHARGE.... It's really the most magical show I think I've seen since... SOUTH PACIFIC? BETTE will win the Tony, but more importantly, it will be deserved... This is not some lazy MARIAH CAREY overpriced nonsense; she is the real deal... The title number deserves every standing ovation it gets... I feel lucky to have witnessed her on broadway...

GAVIN CREEL has such a beautiful voice; I got teary eyed when he started to sing "IT ONLY TAKES A MOMENT"... It was just so cool to see an old-school show like this full of life and beauty on Broadway... Hope it wins many, many TONYS (it will...)

Wise tip: KEEP CHECKING TELECHARGE because seats do pop up... see it now before the reviews come out and they jack up the price even further... I will be SHOCKED if it doesn't get raves!

"See that poster on the wall? Rocky Marciano." - Andy Karl as Rocky in 'ROCKY'
Updated On: 3/19/17 at 08:42 PM

Dollypop
#333HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 3/19/17 at 11:35pm

How is the audience reaction to the show these days? We were a riotous crowd on Wednesday night.

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)
Updated On: 3/19/17 at 11:35 PM

DAME Profile Photo
DAME
#334HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 3/19/17 at 11:51pm

https://instagram.com/p/BR2DEllA4p9/

The Instagram picture of Cole Escola in his show t-shirt is giving me life.

HUSSY POWER! ------ HUSSY POWER!
Updated On: 3/19/17 at 11:51 PM

#335HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 3/20/17 at 8:47am

Wow ... what a disappointing article - It goes against everything I have heard so far about Dolly... I don't think page six is the Pulitzer of journalism though. Why do publications do this, especially after only a couple of (preview) shows. Can't they wait until it opens at least!!! Feel free to rip it to shreds! HELLO, DOLLY! Previews

Page Six
Hello, Dolly!’ slammed as ‘breath of stale air’ in previews
By Richard Johnson
March 19, 2017 | 10:05am

Bette Midler is terrific in “Hello, Dolly!” but some Broadway regulars are underwhelmed.

“It is not a great show — one wonderful number, the rest sort of a breath of stale air,” one theatergoer said after a preview.

As for David Hyde Pierce: “Fabulous, but he needs to work on his New Yawk accent. It was all over the place!” said another.

Still, it will be huge hit. The standing ovation for Midler’s first entrance went on so long, producer Scott Rudin and director Jerry Zaks were “plotzing and high-fivingeach other,” according to one witness.

“Scott then put his hands on either side of his head in disbelief and joy. It was very cute, and I bet no one has ever put ‘Scott Rudin’ and ‘cute’ in the same sentence.”

When the curtain came down, after taking numerous bows and traipsing around the front of the stage to wild applause, Midler lay on her back on the floor feigning exhaustion, as if to say, “Go home!”

10086sunset
#336HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 3/20/17 at 9:18am

kofler22 said: "Are they selling merchandise? What type? Thnx a lot!!"

Go back, read the thread and you'll find the answer.

Peteo
#337HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 3/20/17 at 9:46am

What Page 6 has to say about this production is hardly relevant because the advance and world of mouth are the strongest for any Broadway musical, (revival or original production)  in years.

People are excited about this production, it could get middling to poor reviews and still sell out. Page 6 isn't arts coverage it is a stupid gossip column and it should just be ignored when it gets out of its lane.

Skimbleshanks2 Profile Photo
Skimbleshanks2
#338HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 3/20/17 at 10:13am

Two hit pieces from PAGE SIX already ... They must have a personal vendetta against MISS M, no? Lame!! It's a great show!

"See that poster on the wall? Rocky Marciano." - Andy Karl as Rocky in 'ROCKY'

EthelMae Profile Photo
EthelMae
#339HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 3/20/17 at 3:33pm

The posts on this thread make this sound so exciting. I hope, somehow, I get to see it.

That being said- I saw Ethel Merman in Hello, Dolly! in 1970. I was 11 years old. It made me fall in love with the theatre. Now this was Ethel Merman- Ethel Merman- in what was to be her last Broadway show. When she threw her newspaper down that was covering her face in the opening number, she got a lot of applause. Applause. Not a standing ovation. Her extra two musical numbers that were cut from the show originally, written for her by Jerry Herman, got wonderful applause. Applause. No standing ovation. The title song brought down the house but no standing ovation. Ms.Merman received a standing ovation when she took her curtain call. I can remember this because I saw it 4 times.

Just don't understand this standing ovation business during shows. I mean this was Miss Ethel Merman, musical comedy star and it didn't happen that way. I usually explain this trend due to Star Search, The Voice and shows like these when people have to give standing ovations or they feel their experience is short-changed somehow. And certainly if you're playing over $500 a ticket or $189 for a partial view ticket, you have to feel like your getting your money's worth so you must stand.

I'm not saying this production doesn't deserve it and, again, I hope I'm lucky enough to see it. But all the hootin' and holleran and standing ovations seems to make it all the same. Nothing stands out in memory if the same thing happens all the time.

Updated On: 3/20/17 at 03:33 PM

DAME Profile Photo
DAME
#340HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 3/20/17 at 4:14pm

I don't mind them.. in fact I love them.. if they come from a honest place.  Sometimes on Broadway early in the run.. when the locals and fanatics come out. the audience is a little overhyped.  But from what I hear from very trustworthy sources... this show will just elate you to it.  But why don't you just wait till you see it?

HUSSY POWER! ------ HUSSY POWER!

Broadway Baby Boomer
#341HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 3/21/17 at 6:30am

10086sunset said: "kofler22 said: "Are they selling merchandise? What type? Thnx a lot!!"

Go back, read the thread and you'll find the answer.

It's 12 pages long!...lol

I too would like to know a couple of things, but first...

I am an unapologetic "Channing Dolly Devotee", having seen two of her tours in Chicago in the 70's. I've also seen Channing do her nightclub act twice and have seen her and Mary Martin in "Legends". In fact, she tops my "most seen in performance" list.

That being said, I an over the moon, excited to celebrate my 55th year, by seeing this new production of 'Dolly'! I've always wanted to see Bette in concert, but frankly, could never justify the cost. I have the good fortune, now to be able to afford a 5-day Broadway Blow-out next month, which will include "Hello, Dolly!", "Present Laughter" & "Sunset Boulevard". 

My only previous Broadway experience was in 1979 seeing Ann Miller and Mikey Rooney in "Sugar Babies". If this trip is anything like that one musical comedy experience,  I will be in Nirvana!

So, I'm looking forward to the OBCA... is there any word about when it will be available? 

Posters? Programs? Merchandise? Don't send me back through the 14 previous pages... lol

I'm also hoping to see many more photos from the show. I know ushers are being diligent,  but come on guys!

Cannot wait for next month! Row G, Mezzanine 

BWAY Baby2
#342HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 3/21/17 at 7:02am

Third row center in orchestra- two weeks from tomorrow- can't wait.

EthelMae Profile Photo
EthelMae
#344HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 3/21/17 at 1:05pm

You can't go back to your $563 or more seat after going to the bathroom?? Then you announce that at the beginning of the show, put a slip in the program or have ushers announce that when first seating. Community theatre would do that and so can the Producers of this production.

SmokeyLady Profile Photo
SmokeyLady
#345HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 3/21/17 at 1:35pm

EthelMae said: "You can't go back to your $563 or more seat after going to the bathroom?? Then you announce that at the beginning of the show, put a slip in the program or have ushers announce that when first seating. Community theatre would do that and so can the Producers of this production.

"

Don't believe everything you read here.  Yes they do advertise no late seating.  And good for them.  

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#347HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 3/21/17 at 1:46pm

The last few times I've gone to a Rudin show, there was a slip of paper in the playbill stating the length of each show and that you couldn't return to your seats. Granted, both of those were one-acts (and people did return during Glass Menagerie), but I imagine the same is true at Dolly. 

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

SmokeyLady Profile Photo
SmokeyLady
#349HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 3/21/17 at 1:53pm

Resent away!  Unless theres a emergency ( and god knows we have all been there) .. people should be able to keep it together for 2 hours if anything out of respect for everyone else.  My issue with these older theaters are there bathrooms.  It should be illegal in this day of age for them to have such small spaces and such big lines.  But I don't know what the answer to that is.

carnzee
#350HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 3/21/17 at 2:24pm

PThespian said: 

Mr. Rudin is refusing to let them make a preshow house announcement about the whole "can't return to your seat" policy so I am trying to help spread the word to both aid and assist my friends who work at the Shubert. 

In God's name,why? At any show I've seen with this policy, the ushers go up and down warning patrons over and over about this. It's not like it 'breaks the spell of the show ' or anything. 

SweetLips Profile Photo
SweetLips
#352HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 3/21/17 at 3:18pm

If someone yelled out 'I love you Bette' when I was in the house, and they were near me I would have to hit them VERY quietly.

This is a book show not an arena concert but some people just need to be noticed.

How does she cope with all this hysteria and still remain in character?

I would love[but can't]get to see Hello Dolly but it seems many are turning this wonderful event into a Hello Bette evening.

I could certainly be wrong as it is just my interpretation of [some] of what I am reading on here.

I am so jealous and revel in your reviews.

Videos