News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

SOME LIKE IT HOT On Broadway - Reviews & News Thread- Page 19

SOME LIKE IT HOT On Broadway - Reviews & News Thread

JasonC3
#450SOME LIKE IT HOT On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 11/18/22 at 5:19pm

The difference to me says the producers care more about throwing a party for famous people who might talk up their show than they care about throwing a party for the people creating a show that people might want to talk about.

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#451SOME LIKE IT HOT On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 11/19/22 at 8:32am

I saw this last night and enjoyed it well enough. It reminded me a lot of Bullets Over Broadway, but with an original score. I also enjoyed Bullets Over Broadway a lot more. The show is extremely slick, shiny, and polished - sometimes a little too much so. The cast is really great. The score is good, but a little monotonous with most numbers being indistinguishable from the others. I also felt like Sugar had too many ballads.

The set is nice and handsome enough, but I really don't understand why they had some of the band members on the upstage platform. Lighting and costumes are top notch. The choreography is fun and high energy, but it reaches a point where enough is enough (especially the tapping). The whole show has the feel of a big splashy old fashioned musical comedy, but I just can't say I loved it as much as I wanted to.

I think my main problem with the show is that it's just repetitive in many ways - the score, the design, the choreography. I kept waiting for something new and surprising to happen, but the show just trots along at a leisurely pace without ever really taking off. It's just nothing I haven't seen done before on Broadway, and, in many cases, done in more exciting ways. 

All that being said, I would give it a solid three stars. Not bad by any means, in fact, I would even say it's GOOD. However, it's just not GREAT.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#452SOME LIKE IT HOT On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 11/19/22 at 8:40am

Bill Snibson said: "Have they done away with all of their discount codes? That weekly gross is less than stellar. Maybe the producers jumped the gun a bit and got a little ahead of themselves."

The show has been up at TKTS for 50% off since they started previews.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

poisonivy2 Profile Photo
poisonivy2
#453SOME LIKE IT HOT On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 11/19/22 at 10:20am

I went last night and found so many things wrong with this musical that I actually wrote it up in my blog:

https://humbledandoverwhelmed.blogspot.com/2022/11/some-like-it-corny.html

jakethesnake
#454SOME LIKE IT HOT On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 11/19/22 at 10:26am

ShowBro said: "The producers can throw a show pre-party for “NYC tastemakers and celebs” but won’t throw an opening night party for their own dedicated company and crew.

SMDH, what an embarrassment!
"

You mean because the producers don’t want to put the cast into a human covid petri dish?    

BETTY22
#455SOME LIKE IT HOT On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 11/19/22 at 11:25am

What a night! Before the show there was a small cocktail party across from the theater at the Shubert private apartment.

Lots of famous face and Marc Shaiman even performed the title song....SOME LIKE IT HOT On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread

ShowBro Profile Photo
ShowBro
#456SOME LIKE IT HOT On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 11/19/22 at 11:56am

jakethesnake said: "ShowBro said: "The producers can throw a show pre-party for “NYC tastemakers and celebs” but won’t throw an opening night party for their own dedicated company and crew.

"

You mean because the producers don’t want to put the cast into a human covid petri dish?

You mean like the 1500 seat maskless petri dish that they perform in nightly?

Michelle Birnbaum
#457SOME LIKE IT HOT On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 11/19/22 at 5:41pm

We got tickets for today's matinee through TDF.

We were sitting in the orchestra and enjoyed it.  The performances were excellent.

They could have shaved 10 minutes off.

Updated On: 11/19/22 at 05:41 PM

jakethesnake
#458SOME LIKE IT HOT On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 11/19/22 at 5:47pm

ShowBro said: "jakethesnake said: "ShowBro said: "The producers can throw a show pre-party for “NYC tastemakers and celebs” but won’t throw an opening night party for their own dedicated company and crew.

"

You mean like the 1500 seat maskless petri dish that they perform in nightly?

"

The people onstage, who are all within 6 feet of each other without masks, are all tested multiple times a week for covid.  Can you say the same about the audience members (who are not close enough to transmit to the cast) or potential guests at a party in a tight space?   Or are you going to pay for an understudy for every person in the show?  

PipingHotPiccolo
#459SOME LIKE IT HOT On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 11/19/22 at 5:53pm

ShowBro said: "The producers can throw a show pre-party for “NYC tastemakers and celebs” but won’t throw an opening night party for their own dedicated company and crew.

"

Seems like a slight to cast/crew to not throw traditional opening night bash, if thats what you're saying is happening, but business-wise, the a party for tastemakers in NYC makes a hella lot more sense and I'd imagine if they had to choose, the cast/crew would rather the show run long-term than not.

Bill Snibson Profile Photo
Bill Snibson
#460SOME LIKE IT HOT On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 11/19/22 at 6:56pm

Michelle Birnbaum said: "We got tickets for today's matinee through TDF.

We were sitting in the orchestra and enjoyed it. The performances were excellent.

"

Agreed. A lot of those dance numbers could be pared down.  So much tap dancing! Snip, snip, snip!  This show should be 2:25

nativenewyorker2
#461SOME LIKE IT HOT On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 11/19/22 at 9:20pm

They could also cut down the run time by making intermission the standard 15 mins. Not sure why it’s 20+ when act 2 stars with everyone in the same set as position and before

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#462SOME LIKE IT HOT On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 11/19/22 at 10:01pm

Bill Snibson said: "Michelle Birnbaum said: "We got tickets for today's matinee through TDF.

We were sitting in the orchestra and enjoyed it. The performances were excellent.

"

Agreed. A lot of those dance numbers could be pared down. So much tap dancing! Snip, snip, snip! This show should be 2:25
"

They have 2 more weeks of previews so we shall see how much gets shaved off as they are making cuts and the show opens on Sunday 12/11

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George
Updated On: 11/19/22 at 10:01 PM

Broadwaybaby332
#463SOME LIKE IT HOT On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 11/20/22 at 1:57am

I've seen a lot of musical flops on Broadway (Tuck Everlasting, Dr. Zhivago, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, ect.) but I think this might be the worst one yet. I cannot reccomend buying a ticket to this show under any circumstances. Review from showscore below: 

See it if If you HAVE to see how they re-work “Let’s Be Bad” from Smash (2012) into this show at all costs.

Don't see it if If you don’t want a show where the creative team took the phrase “Let’s be Bad” literally.

Also Claims to be a musical comedy, but the script and score are not funny in the slightest. Desperate to be “woke,” but actually has nothing interesting to say on gender, queerness, sexism, or racism. A dramaturgical mess. Has absolutely no sense of time or place. The characters are all two dimensional. The show has no stakes. A complete miss in every way. 

Michelle Birnbaum
#464SOME LIKE IT HOT On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 11/20/22 at 7:18am

It currently has a score of 84 on Show Score.

inception Profile Photo
inception
#465SOME LIKE IT HOT On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 11/20/22 at 9:14am

Michelle Birnbaum said: "

It currently has a score of 84 on Show Score."

That seems like a pretty average score.  Both Death of a Salesman A Strange Loop also are scored at 84, while ChicagoBeetlejuice​​​​​, & The Piano Lesson are all at 83.

I really don't know how useful the scores there are.  I find you need to read the actual  reviews & try to get a feel for whether or not each writer's sensibilities align with your own. 
Edit: This is why I find using this board more helpful.  Over the years of reading you get a better feel for each reviewer/poster.  For example, for myself when I see that many people here are jumping on the bandwagon for some little show that is doing poorly financially & saying how marvelous it is (I really don't want to pick on any specific show, but let's use KPOP as an example)  I know without a doubt that I can readily skip seeing that show.

Updated On: 11/20/22 at 09:14 AM

Broadwaybaby332
#466SOME LIKE IT HOT On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 11/20/22 at 11:35am

Show Score reviews are not an accurate gauge of quality in my opinion. I saw the Music Man revival the night before it opened and was the first person to give it a negative review on Show Score. It was then panned by the critics. And as much as I hated that it was infinitely better than this was. I’d be shocked if this doesn’t open to absolutely abysmal reviews.  

nealb1 Profile Photo
nealb1
#467SOME LIKE IT HOT On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 11/20/22 at 11:40am

Saw the show last night, and loved it.  Thought it was fantastic!  

christinelavin
#468SOME LIKE IT HOT On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 11/20/22 at 1:54pm

Am I misunderstanding something here? This musical is still a work-in-progress. I know firsthand because I have seen it a number of times and have been witness to costume changes, dialogue changes, reworked scenes -- it hasn't been "frozen" yet, so why do some write as if it is?

I thought it was considered bad form to bad mouth a production before it is set in stone -- it seems unfair to the cast and crew to spread negative opinions as they work it out in front of an audience.  

My first thought seeing the first preview was that a show like this, if seen by those on the Fair Right politically, could do more to open their hearts and minds than a thousand speeches admonishing them for hate speech and anti-gay and trans sentiment. I still feel that way, and am astonished at those who find fault in the story they are telling.

It''s a very difficult path they are taking -- trying to please theater aficionados and the general ticket-buying public at the same time, so I wish them all the success in the world as they work out the kinks.

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#469SOME LIKE IT HOT On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 11/20/22 at 2:00pm

nealb1 said: "Saw the show last night, and loved it. Thought it was fantastic!"

Our neighbors saw it last night and raved about it  LOVED and said it's going to be a  Big Hit! 

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

PipingHotPiccolo
#470SOME LIKE IT HOT On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 11/20/22 at 2:36pm

christinelavin said: "Am I misunderstanding something here? This musical is still a work-in-progress. I know firsthand because I have seen it a number of times and have been witness to costume changes, dialogue changes, reworked scenes -- it hasn't been "frozen" yet, so why do some write as if it is?"

Anyone that paid money to sit and watch this show in a Broadway theater can report back what they experienced, and so many of us did. As simple as that.

Broadwaybaby332
#471SOME LIKE IT HOT On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 11/20/22 at 3:20pm

PipingHotPiccolo said: "christinelavin said: "Am I misunderstanding something here? This musical is still a work-in-progress. I know firsthand because I have seen it a number of times and have been witness to costume changes, dialogue changes, reworked scenes -- it hasn't been "frozen" yet, so why do some write as if it is?"

Anyone that paid money to sit and watch this show in a Broadway theater can report back what they experienced, and so many of us did. As simple as that.
"

This show will not improve post previews as fundamentally it is a disaster. It does not work on any level. I am in the industry and have been in the previews stage of a new musical before. Things may get tweaked, performances may be tightened, but the core of the show itself will not change.

I am just providing my opinion on the piece. It’s ironic that someone is now criticizing me for criticizing the show. Art is meant to be critiqued. I’m only disappointed the show was bad because I love musical theater and really want new work (especially work that has made it to Broadway) to be good. Believe it or not I don’t enjoy seeing things that are not of the caliber they should be. 

Also to touch on what you said about this changing the mind of the far right, I disagree fundamentally there as well. First of all almost no one on the far right will ever see this show. It is at best pandering to an audience that already agrees with it. At worst it is offensive to those in the trans community who actually see it as quite regressive. It is “woke” only because they think that will get people to buy a ticket. It is constantly patting itself on the back for how progressive it is towards trans people, black people, and women, despite the fact that 4 out of the 5 people on the creative team are none of those things. It is two and a half hours of talking points with nothing progressive or interesting to say. It’s not funny or entertaining either. As a piece of art it is completely hollow. I find that so disheartening which is why I wanted to share my initial thoughts here in the first place.

bearhorn Profile Photo
bearhorn
#472SOME LIKE IT HOT On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 11/20/22 at 4:03pm

Just heading home from my Fall theatre trip & gotta say this show was my favorite of the long weekend.  Agree with comments regarding repetition, but I really loved the score - and the cast (especially the five primary roles) was great.  

PipingHotPiccolo
#473SOME LIKE IT HOT On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 11/20/22 at 5:45pm

Broadwaybaby332 said: 

I am just providing my opinion on the piece. It’s ironic that someone is now criticizing me for criticizing the show. Art is meant to be critiqued. I’m only disappointed the show was bad because I love musical theater and really want new work (especially work that has made it to Broadway) to be good. Believe it or not I don’t enjoy seeing things that are not of the caliber they should be."

Agreed and well said. I cant wrap my head around the concept that a paying audience should "forgive" a bad performance/score because its "still previews." BY ALL MEANS charge half price if you want us to watch you rehearse, and see who shows up, but for $200 a pop, I'm not gonna be shy.

THAT SAID- interesting to watch how the initial adulation for this show is turning into disappointment. To each their own, and I certainly am one who often finds myself rolling my eyes at stuff everyone else seems to love, but it does seem like I saw a different show than others did. We can disagree over whether the score works (we agree the ballads dont) and I totally get that the excessive tap numbers might irritate some, but not funny? Not witty? The audience at the performance I attended was genuinely hollering with laughter at all of Borle's and Natasha Yvette Williams' shtick, and the place went totally crazy for J Harrison Ghee. 

Without the right reviews (and I can see critics being cold to this) the show's success is up in the air, but suggestions that audiences arent enjoying it just dont hold much water.

poisonivy2 Profile Photo
poisonivy2
#474SOME LIKE IT HOT On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 11/20/22 at 7:09pm

I mean this with no disrespect, but I suspect the people who really like this either: 1) never saw the movie; or 2) never seen shows that really tackle issues of sexuality, gender fluidity and racism. 

Videos