News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

Who DESERVES a jukebox musical?- Page 2

Who DESERVES a jukebox musical?

darquegk Profile Photo
darquegk
#25re: Who DESERVES a jukebox musical?
Posted: 7/6/09 at 11:21am

It's like the current "Fame's not a musical... but they sing in it" debate, or "is Spiderman 3 a musical just because it has musical numbers and a few dance sequences?"

TimesSquareRegular Profile Photo
TimesSquareRegular
#26re: Who DESERVES a jukebox musical?
Posted: 7/6/09 at 11:31am

Of the suggestions already made, I must say the idea of a DURAN DURAN musical has me ... well, hungry like a wolf.

If they could figure out how to duplicate some of the visuals in their music videos .....

2016 These Paper Bullets (1/02) Our Mother's Brief Affair (1/06), Dragon Boat Racing (1/08), Howard - reading (1/28), Shear Madness (2/10), Fun Home (2/17), Women Without Men (2/18), Trip Of Love (2/21), The First Gentleman -reading (2/22), Southern Comfort (2/23), The Robber Bridegroom (2/24), She Loves Me (3/11), Shuffle Along (4/12), Shear Madness (4/14), Dear Evan Hansen (4/16), American Psycho (4/23), Tuck Everlasting (5/10), Indian Summer (5/15), Peer Gynt (5/18), Broadway's Rising Stars (7/11), Trip of Love (7/27), CATS (7/31), The Layover (8/17), An Act Of God (8/31), The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time (8/24), Heisenberg (10/12), Fiddler On The Roof (11/02), Othello (11/23), Dear Evan Hansen (11/26), Les Liaisons Dangereuses (12/21) 2017 In Transit (2/01), Groundhog Day (4/04), Ring Twice For Miranda (4/07), Church And State (4/10), The Lucky One (4/19), Ernest Shackleton Loves Me (5/16), Building The Wall (5/19), Indecent (6/01), Six Degrees of Separation (6/09), Marvin's Room (6/28), A Doll's House Pt 2 (7/25) Curvy Widow (8/01)

breakfree303
#27re: Who DESERVES a jukebox musical?
Posted: 7/6/09 at 11:38am

I actually had this idea a few weeks ago, but I was thinking they make something like New Jersey: The Musical and all the songs are from famous singers from Jersey.

I'd see it. :)

"'Cats' is the second worst thing that ever happened to New York City"-Jersey Girl

Byron Abens
#28re: Who DESERVES a jukebox musical?
Posted: 7/6/09 at 12:00pm

"And even then, all the musical numbers are "in the musical" scenes. Today's directors wouldn't call it a musical at all. The characters don't sing unless they're actually singing."

I've only seen the revival version, but there are a numbers in that that are not related to the fictional show. "Go Into Your Dance," "Getting Out of Town," "Sunny Side to Every Situation," the first half of "I Only Have Eyes for You," "About a Quarter to Nine," and of course "Lullaby of Broadway."

As for the topic at hand. I would like to see a Cyndi Lauper jukebox musical.

lull89 Profile Photo
lull89
#29re: Who DESERVES a jukebox musical?
Posted: 7/6/09 at 12:00pm

Call me crazy, but I've always thought that a Weird Al Yankovic jukebox musical would be awesome. It doesn't even have to feature any of his parodies (although some of them might be really good), much of his original stuff tells stories really well. Songs like "Albuquerque" and "Why Does This Always Happen to Me?" tell fantastic stories. And songs like "I Remember Larry" and "Wanna B Ur Lover" establish some great characters.

I also think he could write an awesome original musical, that didn't necessarily have to be parody (since Forbidden Broadway kind of has that covered), but could certainly be funny as heck.

Jamie Pierce Profile Photo
Jamie Pierce
#30re: Who DESERVES a jukebox musical?
Posted: 7/6/09 at 12:02pm

The B-52's

Borstalboy Profile Photo
Borstalboy
#31re: Who DESERVES a jukebox musical?
Posted: 7/6/09 at 12:10pm

I always thought Twyla Tharp should do a great MOVIN' OUT style musical with the music of Kate Bush. Problem is, am I the only one who would go see it?

"Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing.” ~ Muhammad Ali

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#32re: Who DESERVES a jukebox musical?
Posted: 7/6/09 at 12:38pm

Cyndi Lauper or Tina Turner (A musical version of "What's Love Got To Do With It" would do great, I think)

jarred03
#33re: Who DESERVES a jukebox musical?
Posted: 7/6/09 at 12:40pm

I second Madonna and Elton John, they both have a ton of great songs that could easily translate to stage.

I also think Aerosmith, Heart, and Journey would be great choices.

Mary J. Blige as well.

#34re: Who DESERVES a jukebox musical?
Posted: 7/6/09 at 4:16pm

STARSHIP- "We Built This City"

Two lovers fight big brother in the future, using rock and roll to return the land to the people.

Someone make it happen.

winston89 Profile Photo
winston89
#35re: Who DESERVES a jukebox musical?
Posted: 7/6/09 at 4:41pm

I just got off of Pete Townshend's website his recording of The Lifehouse Project.

For those of you that don't know Lifehouse was a rock opera that Pete wrote that was supposed to be produced shortly after Tommy but was never completed. Many of the songs that were going to be written for Lifehouse can be heard on the album Who's Next.

Or, I would love to see Townshed go further with his stage adaptation of his newest rock opera Wire and Glass which was done upstate a year or so ago.

"If you try to shag my husband while I am still alive, I will shove the art of motorcycle maintenance up your rancid little Cu**. That's a good dear" Tom Stoppard's Rock N Roll

yay_gerb Profile Photo
yay_gerb
#36re: Who DESERVES a jukebox musical?
Posted: 7/6/09 at 5:31pm

The Insane Clown Posse

BROADWAY IMPACT!
TAKE ACTION! EQUALITY!
http://www.broadwayimpact.com/

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#37re: Who DESERVES a jukebox musical?
Posted: 7/6/09 at 5:43pm

The Mamas and the Papas.

Mattt Profile Photo
Mattt
#38re: Who DESERVES a jukebox musical?
Posted: 7/6/09 at 5:46pm

Ben Folds could write AMAZING stuff for theater.

Mark_E Profile Photo
Mark_E
#39re: Who DESERVES a jukebox musical?
Posted: 7/6/09 at 6:18pm

Britney!

Only kidding, although it probably will happen.

singtopher Profile Photo
singtopher
#40re: Who DESERVES a jukebox musical?
Posted: 7/6/09 at 6:26pm

I second the Carpenters.

And regarding Britney, I was thinking about The Marvelous Wonderettes the other day, and it made me think about all the 50's/60's revues out there geared towards older audiences. So, by this logic, when my generation is old will we all flock to the Broadway Palm to see a Britney/Christina/Mariah musical revue?

"If this is going to be a Christian nation that doesn't help the poor, either we have to pretend that Jesus was just as selfish as we are, or we've got to acknowledge that He commanded us to love the poor and serve the needy without condition and then admit that we just don't want to do it." -Stephen Colbert

zooxanthellae Profile Photo
zooxanthellae
#41re: Who DESERVES a jukebox musical?
Posted: 7/6/09 at 7:15pm

Cher (& Sonny)

After Eight
#42re: Who DESERVES a jukebox musical?
Posted: 7/6/09 at 8:27pm

"Dream a Little Dream," a musical about the Mamas and the Papas, appeared off-Broadway in 2003.

Eris0303 Profile Photo
Eris0303
#43re: Who DESERVES a jukebox musical?
Posted: 7/6/09 at 8:30pm

So, by this logic, when my generation is old will we all flock to the Broadway Palm to see a Britney/Christina/Mariah musical revue?

Couldn't Girls Night be seen as the beginning of that?

"All our dreams can come true -- if we have the courage to pursue them." -- Walt Disney We must have different Gods. My God said "do to others what you would have them do to you". Your God seems to have said "My Way or the Highway".

TalkinLoud Profile Photo
TalkinLoud
#44re: Who DESERVES a jukebox musical?
Posted: 7/6/09 at 8:30pm

Elton John would be great.

David Bowie's music would also lend itself VERY well to a jukebox musical.

Katurian2 Profile Photo
Katurian2
#45re: Who DESERVES a jukebox musical?
Posted: 7/6/09 at 8:48pm

Another one I thought of:

Eric Clapton

He already has a fabulous autobiography out, and has played with some of the most influential bands/individuals of blues rock.

"Are you sorry for civilization? I am sorry for it too." ~Coast of Utopia: Shipwreck

bondgirl
#46re: Who DESERVES a jukebox musical?
Posted: 7/6/09 at 8:54pm

From what I remember, Meatloaf's "Bat Out of Hell" was written to be a rock opera that never happened. That would be my choice.

Pianolin717 Profile Photo
Pianolin717
#47re: Who DESERVES a jukebox musical?
Posted: 7/6/09 at 9:05pm

Ingrid Michaelson or Regina Spektor. I could def see a Regina Spektor jukebox musical and I would see it!

MisterRussell Profile Photo
MisterRussell
#48re: Who DESERVES a jukebox musical?
Posted: 7/6/09 at 10:04pm

Not the ticket-buying public, and certainly not the Modern Theatre.

CyCoSpAz2 Profile Photo
CyCoSpAz2
#49re: Who DESERVES a jukebox musical?
Posted: 7/6/09 at 10:14pm

Savage Garden

Videos