News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

Grey House on Broadway, Spring 2023, directed by Joe Mantello- Page 2

Grey House on Broadway, Spring 2023, directed by Joe Mantello

TaffyDavenport Profile Photo
TaffyDavenport
#25Grey House on Broadway, Spring 2023, directed by Joe Mantello
Posted: 2/21/23 at 12:03pm

Up on Telecharge, and the cast is:

Laurie Metcalf

Tatiana Maslany

Paul Sparks

Sophia Anne Caruso

Millicent Simmonds

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#26Grey House on Broadway, Spring 2023, directed by Joe Mantello
Posted: 2/21/23 at 12:10pm

This is a more effective trailer than most shows have.

The cast isn't effective, from a box office standpoint –– none of these folks are money names –– but I will be interested in seeing this.

nasty_khakis
#27Grey House on Broadway, Spring 2023, directed by Joe Mantello
Posted: 2/21/23 at 12:22pm

ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "east side story said: "And I’m still holding out hope that Mantello’s pre-pandemic revival of Virginia Woolf? starring Metcalf will see the light of day again."

I highly doubt that but weirder things have happened. As we know, Metcalf really doesn't sell tickets, and her costar Rupert Everett means even less. Maybe at an off-Bway nonprofit or for Audible.

The whole Metcalf run felt like a Rudin exercise in trying to "build" a star. He produced LADY BIRD, DOLL'S HOUSE 2, THREE TALL WOMEN, HILLARY & CLINTON, and VIRGINIA WOOLF. We got some good plays out of it, but 3TW is the only one that recouped (and barely so at that).
"

Rudin talked a lot about doing plays like those knowing he'd not recoup but needed the works/artists to be given the showcase. 

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#28Grey House on Broadway, Spring 2023, directed by Joe Mantello
Posted: 2/21/23 at 12:26pm

ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "The whole Metcalf run felt like a Rudin exercise in trying to "build" a star. He produced LADY BIRD, DOLL'S HOUSE 2, THREE TALL WOMEN, HILLARY & CLINTON, and VIRGINIA WOOLF. We got some good plays out of it, but 3TW is the only one that recouped (and barely so at that)."

I’m surprised a Doll’s House Part 2 didn’t recoup. I would’ve thought the fact the show extended with, almost, an entirely second cast meant it did well.

Curious if Rudin is somehow behind this show… like a major benefactor or something across those lines.

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

ErmengardeStopSniveling
#30Grey House on Broadway, Spring 2023, directed by Joe Mantello
Posted: 2/21/23 at 12:56pm

Call_me_jorge said: "I’m surprised a Doll’s House Part 2 didn’t recoup. I would’ve thought the fact the show extended with, almost, an entirely second cast meant it did well.

Curious if Rudin is somehow behind this show… like a major benefactor or something across those lines.
"

DH2 sold abysmally. Its best week was $646K, and it took 6 weeks for it to finally cross $200K. Word of mouth was positive but it took a long time for it to catch on, and Scott spent eyewatering amounts of money on advertising leading up to the Tonys. Then, in an act of hubris, Scott extended it with 2 actors who both meant even less than Chris Cooper & Laurie Metcalf. I think the title was a pretentious vibe killer for mass audiences who might have otherwise been interested in seeing those actors in a new play. (Similar to GARY a few years later.)

Rudin is not involved with Grey House. The producers are Tom Kirdahy (partner of the late Terrence McNally and a prolific producer in his own right) and Rob Ahrens (who has also produced a number of shows in recent years, including Little Shop alongside Kirdahy). Rudin isn't required to be involved with a Mantello/Melcalf play, nor did he collab with these producers pre-cancellation smiley

Updated On: 2/21/23 at 12:56 PM

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#31Grey House on Broadway, Spring 2023, directed by Joe Mantello
Posted: 2/21/23 at 12:58pm

Officially now my most anticipated show of 2023.

Alex M Profile Photo
Alex M
#32Grey House on Broadway, Spring 2023, directed by Joe Mantello
Posted: 2/21/23 at 1:06pm

Very excited about this. Without spoiling (if possible) would someone be able to say whats so gross about the show...just want to know what friends id feel comfortable going with. LOL

perfectpenguin
#33Grey House on Broadway, Spring 2023, directed by Joe Mantello
Posted: 2/21/23 at 1:29pm

Instant ticket purchase for me. Tatiana Maslany is one of my favorite actresses. I missed her in Network. I remember watching an interview with her a few months back saying she wanted to get back to the stage so I’m glad she’s able to! 

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#34Grey House on Broadway, Spring 2023, directed by Joe Mantello
Posted: 2/21/23 at 1:42pm

Laurie Metcalf and Mantello.....I am all in.

Just give the world Love.

Huss417 Profile Photo
Huss417
#35Grey House on Broadway, Spring 2023, directed by Joe Mantello
Posted: 2/21/23 at 1:53pm

It's too bad it isn't the production of  Who’s Afraid Of Virginia Woolf? that was cancelled but still happy to see Laurie Metcalf back on Broadway.

"I hope your Fanny is bigger than my Peter." Mary Martin to Ezio Pinza opening night of Fanny.

StageJunkie2
#36Grey House on Broadway, Spring 2023, directed by Joe Mantello
Posted: 2/21/23 at 2:19pm

perfectpenguin said: "Instant ticket purchase for me. Tatiana Maslany is one of my favorite actresses. I missed her in Network. I remember watching an interview with her a few months back saying she wanted to get back to the stage so I’m glad she’s able to!"

Same here. I snatched up 4th row center orchestra seat for the 2nd preview. I'm SO up for a live thriller. Sure do hope it delivers.

verywellthensigh
#37Grey House on Broadway, Spring 2023, directed by Joe Mantello
Posted: 2/21/23 at 2:23pm

Sophia Anne Caruso?

Grey House on Broadway, Spring 2023, directed by Joe Mantello

barcelona20
#38Grey House on Broadway, Spring 2023, directed by Joe Mantello
Posted: 2/21/23 at 2:25pm

Looks more like "White" House than Grey House to me.

Alex M Profile Photo
Alex M
#39Grey House on Broadway, Spring 2023, directed by Joe Mantello
Posted: 2/21/23 at 2:48pm

barcelona20 said: "Looks more like "White" House than Grey House to me."

I thought the same thing but theres still a few characters not cast yet...hoping for some more diversity.

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#40Grey House on Broadway, Spring 2023, directed by Joe Mantello
Posted: 2/21/23 at 3:15pm

As a person of color, I have no problem with an entirely white cast. It takes place in the mountains of Oregon. Not a place that you find a lot of POC. I would rather see a cast closer to reality than someone cast just for diversity. I have spent a lot of time in the mountains here in the US, a lot of times I was the only black person. JMO

ErmengardeStopSniveling
#41Grey House on Broadway, Spring 2023, directed by Joe Mantello
Posted: 2/21/23 at 3:20pm

The beauty of Broadway is that every play doesn't have to represent every group of people. Is it ideal that this is shaping up to be an all-white principal cast? No. But a range of demographics and perspectives and experiences is healthy for a diverse Broadway. Pictures From Home and Thanksgiving Play and Leopoldstadt can live alongside Six and Piano Lesson and Between Riverside & Crazy and Life of Pi.

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#42Grey House on Broadway, Spring 2023, directed by Joe Mantello
Posted: 2/21/23 at 3:23pm

ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "The beauty of Broadway is that every play doesn't have to represent every group of people. Is it ideal that this is shaping up to be an all-white principal cast? No. But a range of demographics and perspectives and experiences is healthy for a diverse Broadway. Pictures From Home and Thanksgiving Play and Leopoldstadt can live alongside Six and Piano Lesson and Between Riverside & Crazy and Life of Pi."

Exactly. Well put.

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#43Grey House on Broadway, Spring 2023, directed by Joe Mantello
Posted: 2/21/23 at 3:24pm

TAKE ALL MY MONEY. And Metcalf in something spooky? Okay!!

I actually thought she was terrific in Misery.

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#44Grey House on Broadway, Spring 2023, directed by Joe Mantello
Posted: 2/21/23 at 3:26pm

ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "The beauty of Broadway is that every play doesn't have to represent every group of people. Is it ideal that this is shaping up to be an all-white principal cast? No. But a range of demographics and perspectives and experiences is healthy for a diverse Broadway. Pictures From Home and Thanksgiving Play and Leopoldstadt can live alongside Six and Piano Lesson and Between Riverside & Crazy and Life of Pi."

THANK YOU. 

KJisgroovy Profile Photo
KJisgroovy
#45Grey House on Broadway, Spring 2023, directed by Joe Mantello
Posted: 2/21/23 at 3:46pm

This is a great way to say this and I agree wholeheartedly. Tho... the original cast of this show was quite diverse in a way this cast is not. I'm not sure that means anything. But. It is a thing. 

Jesus saves. I spend.

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#46Grey House on Broadway, Spring 2023, directed by Joe Mantello
Posted: 2/21/23 at 3:55pm

I just could not appreciate you more, Ermengarde.

But really, this truly is the way to a diverse Broadway. 

Oh look, a bibu!

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#47Grey House on Broadway, Spring 2023, directed by Joe Mantello
Posted: 2/21/23 at 4:00pm

KJisgroovy said: "ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "The beauty of Broadway is that every play doesn't have to represent every group of people. Is it ideal that this is shaping up to be an all-white principal cast? No. But a range of demographics and perspectives and experiences is healthy for a diverse Broadway. Pictures From Home and Thanksgiving Play and Leopoldstadt can live alongside Six and Piano Lesson and Between Riverside & Crazy and Life of Pi."

This is a great way to say this and I agree wholeheartedly. Tho... the original cast of this show was quite diverse in a way this cast is not. I'm not sure that means anything. But. It is a thing.
"

Casting is not complete for this production though. 

jpbran Profile Photo
jpbran
#48Grey House on Broadway, Spring 2023, directed by Joe Mantello
Posted: 2/21/23 at 4:03pm

Only the first preview overlaps with my next NY trip, so I got tix for that one. Have seen lots of previews over the years, but never a first one. 

Matt Rogers Profile Photo
Matt Rogers
#49Grey House on Broadway, Spring 2023, directed by Joe Mantello
Posted: 2/21/23 at 4:21pm

This sounds fantastic, and after I read all the rave Chicago reviews, I really can't wait to see this one. 

Videos