News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

RIP Jonathan Larson

leomaxfrank Profile Photo
leomaxfrank
#25re: RIP Jonathan Larson
Posted: 1/25/05 at 2:49pm

To add, I think the most touching part of tick, tick...BOOM is knowing that he was never able to harness all of his potential or even enjoy success while living. Hearing and seeing "Jonathan" talk about what he wants and lives for in ttB, strikes such a deep chord in many of us.

But I won't live alone in a house of regret.

Benzy92 Profile Photo
Benzy92
#26re: RIP Jonathan Larson
Posted: 1/25/05 at 3:03pm

Rest in peace Jonathan..

What a genious.

Jwaa
#27re: RIP Jonathan Larson
Posted: 1/25/05 at 3:09pm

I grew up on RENT, with more respect for JL than I'd ever had for anyone, i soon learnt every lyric and lived off the soundtrack for about half a year, now it stays with me everywhere, like a mental tattoo,

i love you Johnathon, your music actually changed my life.
Rest in peace
XXXx

kangaroo Profile Photo
kangaroo
#28re: RIP Jonathan Larson
Posted: 1/25/05 at 3:55pm

RIP.
Thanks for the musical and the Broadway stars from Rent. I love the musical, and it changed the view of Broadway
xoxo Kangaroo

NIL MAGNUM NISI BONUM "No greatness without goodness."

RENThead, enLIGHist, Ozalot, Grobanite, Ringer, Pickwick LW, Wicked, Lost, American Dreams, West Wing
Lea S. Hugh J. Adam P. Idina M. Matt M. Taye D.

EverythingIsRENT Profile Photo
EverythingIsRENT
#29re: RIP Jonathan Larson
Posted: 1/25/05 at 4:07pm

oh how wonderful that there are TWO threads dedicated to this amazing man! re: RIP Jonathan Larson Today, a guy in class asked about the "No Day But Today" quote on my shirt, so I told hi mall about the show, and i'm going to bring in the cd tomorrow so he can hear a few songs!! I was so proud!

Sunchips: Best Kept Secret in the chip aisle!!

BroadwayDiva Profile Photo
BroadwayDiva
#30re: RIP Jonathan Larson
Posted: 1/25/05 at 4:13pm

Rest in peace, Jon. You're a genius who has contributed so much to Broadway. Thank you for RENT.

I have my books and my poetry to protect me...

idinarocksmysocks!510 Profile Photo
idinarocksmysocks!510
#31re: RIP Jonathan Larson
Posted: 1/25/05 at 4:39pm

Rent changed my life, my whole entire outlook is just so different now. There really is "No day but today". RIP Jonathan Larson...

you say i'm weird! look at everyone you're sitting with! and hey, those guys over there just threw napkins up in the air like they were on something! it's contajous! you can't help it!

idinarocksmysocks!510 Profile Photo
idinarocksmysocks!510
#32re: RIP Jonathan Larson
Posted: 1/25/05 at 4:39pm

where'd you get your icon thingy?

you say i'm weird! look at everyone you're sitting with! and hey, those guys over there just threw napkins up in the air like they were on something! it's contajous! you can't help it!

Lwazi
#33re: RIP Jonathan Larson
Posted: 1/25/05 at 4:48pm

Jonathan,

Your true talent brings back memories of the great Broadway hit musical 'Rent' and its stars.

You were well enough to meet the original cast during its process but you passed away before the curtain goes up for its first performance.

I'm deeply saddened by the loss and you are the light who compose 'Rent' and died straight afterwards.

You are the best composer that I can think of and you will be solely missed.

Rest In Peace Jonathan

jezzebelle
#34re: RIP Jonathan Larson
Posted: 1/25/05 at 4:52pm

There's nothing more to be said that has not already...so

RIP Jonathan. You've had a profound influence on me and countless others, so thank you for that.

NightLaughs Profile Photo
NightLaughs
#35re: RIP Jonathan Larson
Posted: 1/25/05 at 5:03pm

If it wasn't for Jonathan and his work, I never would have had my eyes opened up to theater. I can't imagine how I'd get through these days minus that joy in my life. Without Rent, and the ways it inspired and effected me, I don't know who I would be. It sounds darastic but it's true.

He's touched so many others and will continue to forever.

RIP Jonathan. And thank you.

If you limit your choices to what seems possible or reasonable, you disconnect yourself from what you truly want, and all that is left is a compromise."- Robert Fritz

Adam Chris Profile Photo
Adam Chris
#36re: RIP Jonathan Larson
Posted: 1/25/05 at 5:26pm

I discovered RENT during a time when it seemed a lot of shows sounded the same. When RENT came flying through the speakers of my car it filled my imagination with the what could be possible in theater. It felt like Johnathan was writting about me and my friends. His music, including Tick, Tick, Boom, has encouraged me as a musician to look past the 'limits' of musical theater and strive towards the next level of raw , honest music writing. Thank you, Jonathan.

oxdreaminxo Profile Photo
oxdreaminxo
#37re: RIP Jonathan Larson
Posted: 1/25/05 at 5:58pm

Despite never actually seeing Rent, I have the OBCR instilled permenently into my mind. Jonathan Larson has influenced many people over the years with his music. As my signature says..."No day but today".
RIP

A most ingenious paradox.
Updated On: 1/25/05 at 05:58 PM

seasons of love Profile Photo
seasons of love
#38re: RIP Jonathan Larson
Posted: 1/25/05 at 6:15pm

wow... it's so wonderful how many people that jonathan has touched. like i said before, jonathan's music has really helped me. i never knew that a cast recording could change my life, but i guess i fooled myself...

"I am unfinished- I am diminished With or without you..."

spiderdj82 Profile Photo
spiderdj82
#39re: RIP Jonathan Larson
Posted: 1/25/05 at 6:31pm

Yes, musical theatre lost a great composer when Jon died. The thing that amazes me is that a lot of musicals that people like are for the music, or the spetical, or certain characters.....but RENT is liked by a lot of people because of the message it brings and it has touched many people's lives personally. I know that if it wasn't for RENT, I would not be on this message board today (Literally, because I was looking something up for RENT when it brought me here). I probably wouldn't have my collection of musical theatre cds in my car if it wasn't for RENT. I loved Phantom of the Opera but that was it for me then I heard RENT and it made me feel something and made me love theatre even more and it caused me to search out other musical theatre cds. Also, I have grown up in a southern baptist family where being gay is one of the worst sins and blah blah blah so I had this idea of gay people, but when I heard RENT it changed my thoughts. I now think of gay people as my brothers and sisters and I stick up for them when my dad makes stupid comments.

Jonathan, I want to say thank you and you are surely missed and will always be in mine, as well as other's thoughts. You have caused a generation to stand up and take action instead of sitting back and doing nothing. Because of you a lot of people have gotten through very tough times in their lives. We love you and you will never be forgotten. RIP, my man!

"They're eating her and then they're going to eat me. OH MY GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD!!!!" -Troll 2
Updated On: 1/25/05 at 06:31 PM

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#40re: RIP Jonathan Larson
Posted: 1/25/05 at 6:43pm

I keep feeling like I should post something more than just a sad face, and I've been thinking all day about what's even semi-appropriate. I listened to Tick, Tick... BOOM! before, and I have RENT on now. TTB made me cry. I've always known this was important, but a lot of stuff in the past year, just in my development as a fan of theatre has caused me to actually feel the emotional aspect of it. I keep thinking about that voicemail message at the end of TTB... the one from Sondheim, saying that there were great things in Jonathan's future, and it shatters my heart.

So, thank you, Jonathan Larson... for giving theatre one of the most beautiful things it's ever seen, and for opening my eyes, ears and mind up to a world from which (much in thanks to you) I never, ever care to depart. Broadway's missing a genius, that's for sure. re: RIP Jonathan Larson

<3

A work of art is an invitation to love.
Updated On: 1/25/05 at 06:43 PM

zippyjen Profile Photo
zippyjen
#41re: RIP Jonathan Larson
Posted: 1/25/05 at 7:21pm

I just want to send my condolences to his family and to say that like other people, rent and the no day but today concept has touched me and helped me through a hard period in my life. Thank you Johnathon Larson! You are missed.

"At the opening night party, they had clowns on stilts, jugglers, a chocolate fountain, popcorn, hot dogs. [My son] looked at me like I had been holding back. Like, 'This is what you do?' I had to tell him, 'No, no, darling. Opening nights don't usually look like this.' It's usually a dark bar with a bottle of vodka." ?Chitty Chitty Bang Bang's Jan Maxwell plus i proudly share the title of the shortest member over the age of 10 with wickedrentq!

UptownGirl Profile Photo
UptownGirl
#42re: RIP Jonathan Larson
Posted: 1/25/05 at 7:36pm

After listening to Rent, ttB, re-reading the Rent Bible over and over, I've really realized what a genius Jonathan Larson was. He took emotions and verbalized them perfectly. His music makes you think and feel. I feel terrible for his friends and family -- they had to accept the Tony and Pulitzer Prize for him, listen to all of the rave reviews, and absorb the fame -- while they should've been sitting back and letting Jonathan finally having his moment of glory. ttB and Rent have a lot of references to dying young which is so sad now that we listen to them. The message of "no day but today" has such a deeper meaning now. His death was a loss of a great man, and I know he'll be remembered forever.

"It's not how long you're here, but what you do while you're here"

Rest in peace, now and always. <333

"Learn how to laugh. Learn how to love. Learn how to live. That's my style." -Follies

Dreamcatcher Profile Photo
Dreamcatcher
#43re: RIP Jonathan Larson
Posted: 1/25/05 at 10:11pm

RIP Jonathan Larson! re: RIP Jonathan Larson
You have touched our hearts and souls in so many ways with your beautiful lyrics and RENT will live on forever. Thank you and you are with us always.

I wanted to get something that an "ex"-junkie like him would really appreciate and cherish....it's a brick of heroin shaped like a heart. -Scrubs

insomniak
#44re: RIP Jonathan Larson
Posted: 1/25/05 at 10:12pm

Taking a break from my break to add my piece about Mr Larson.

I must be one of the only people on the planet who didn't know a thing about Rent prior to first seeing it. Actually, I take that back. I'd asked around and someone told me it was happy, some said it was depressing, some liked it, some said it was crap. Anyway, I got a cheap ticket to the tour last fall through my school because we went as a group. I walked into the theater with no knowledge of what I was about to see and I left with something I didn't have when I had entered. It was a certain sense of hope, like it might be ok to be optimistic. It might be ok to not be scared of tommorrow. You can worry today about what will happen in another twenty-four hours or another five hundered twenty-five thousand six hundered minutes, but why? It's a kind of freedom, the ability to live and love today. A lot of people have a hard time really living like that, or even grasping the concept at all. A show like Rent brings it home more than any kind of lecture or self-help book can.

One of the things that I didn't like about Rent was what I found out about it later. Many people said it wasn't authentic, it was a sanitized version of reality, and that Mimi living was the worst thing Mr. Larson could've written for the show. After all my thought... I beg to differ. I don't claim to know anything about life in that time and place, but I can't throw Rent away either. A lot of people have been killed by the AIDS epidemic and I understand the viewpoint that says Mimi's revival belittles the crisis, but it does serve a higher purpose than just being a happy ending for the audience. Unreal? Yeah. I do believe that the show recognizes it, though, and while the characters get a second chance, the near-miss strongly reinforces living life to its fullest. If you let life pass by, you lose people like Roger nearly lost Mimi, and sometimes, just sometimes, enough passion will bring it back. Larson's themes reflected his life, or so it would seem to the outsider. It takes passion and a burning desire to make breathing worthwhile in order to create a powerful musical like Rent that has affected so many. Today is a sad day for broadway; theatre lost a talented budding composer far too soon. Despite his premature death, Mr. Larson left his mark with Rent. He can rest assured that he is not and will not be forgotten because he did live 'No Day But Today' and didn't waste what time he had. Thank you, Mr. Larson, for giving us much more than just a musical, but a piece of your own peace of mind.

Edited to apologize for length. Updated On: 1/25/05 at 10:12 PM

LetMeLeave
#45re: RIP Jonathan Larson
Posted: 1/25/05 at 10:18pm

Words cannot fully express how much I admire Mr. Larson and his work. In all seriousness RENT changed me and inspired me in ways I never thought anything could.

Thank you.

Dreamcatcher
#46re: RIP Jonathan Larson
Posted: 1/25/05 at 10:22pm

I have to say, people have written some of the most beautiful posts here. I agree, RENT has touched me in so many ways thanks to Jonathan's brilliant mind and my only regret is that I didnt find out about things like RENT sooner. re: RIP Jonathan Larson

I wanted to get something that an "ex"-junkie like him would really appreciate and cherish....it's a brick of heroin shaped like a heart. -Scrubs

Dreamcatcher
#47re: RIP Jonathan Larson
Posted: 1/25/05 at 10:22pm

I have to say, people have written some of the most beautiful posts here. I agree, RENT has touched me in so many ways thanks to Jonathan's brilliant mind and my only regret is that I didnt find out about things like RENT sooner. re: RIP Jonathan Larson

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#48re: RIP Jonathan Larson
Posted: 1/25/05 at 10:29pm

I almost virtually slapped you for posting, insomniak. But that was very well-written and heart-felt.

<3 for you, dear.

A work of art is an invitation to love.

brdlwyr
#49re: RIP Jonathan Larson
Posted: 1/25/05 at 10:37pm

insomniak - thanks for your words. Yes, a sad day - but a day to also celebrate the geniuns of Jonathan Larson.

Videos