News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

I saw Cats!

FranklinShepard-Inc.
#25re: I saw Cats!
Posted: 3/8/05 at 2:47pm

Updated On: 3/8/05 at 02:47 PM

FranklinShepard-Inc.
#26re: I saw Cats!
Posted: 3/8/05 at 2:49pm

oy, something went wrong with my pc, ouch!

robbiej Profile Photo
robbiej
#27re: I saw Cats!
Posted: 3/8/05 at 2:57pm

I'm sure it was something in its day, but by the time I saw it (I 1995, I think) it was TIRED!!! I just wanted to scream, 'Put the poor creatures DOWN, for God's sake!'

"I'm so looking forward to a time when all the Reagan Democrats are dead."

cathywellerstein Profile Photo
cathywellerstein
#28re: I saw Cats!
Posted: 3/8/05 at 4:06pm

i never saw cats live before, but i've recently just gotten into the movie and i really like it. i haven't watched the whole thing all the way through, so maybe i wouldn't like the show. but there are plenty of songs that i love and thoroughly enjoy!

Gothampc
#29re: I saw Cats!
Posted: 3/8/05 at 4:11pm

"i never saw cats live before, but i've recently just gotten into the movie and i really like it."

The bad thing about the Cats video/DVD is that they didn't film the Growltiger sequence.

If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.

Katecab99 Profile Photo
Katecab99
#30re: I saw Cats!
Posted: 3/8/05 at 4:24pm

CATS was definitley my first broadway show. i only saw it the one time, when i was like 10 years old, so i thought it was great. it's what began to set me on a road towards a career in musical theatre, so i have to be greatful for it!

MaTakeALookAtMe Profile Photo
MaTakeALookAtMe
#31re: I saw Cats!
Posted: 3/8/05 at 5:24pm

This was the best show ever...until Wicked came along!

Rose_MacShane Profile Photo
Rose_MacShane
#32re: I saw Cats!
Posted: 3/8/05 at 6:20pm

JakeB is right. The CATS bashing is to CATS fans what "Wicked" bashing is to "Wicked" fans. Not that I believe my li'l voice will stop either one, but still...
Having said that, CATS holds a very special place with me. It was the one show I had wanted to see since I was a kid, when "Reading Rainbow" did a segment on it. I saw it on tour when I was 14 and on Broadway the next year. I have never experienced something like seeing CATS on Broadway, in the theater where it had been playing 17 years, where the original cast performed. And the theater itself was a work of art. There are pictures of it, but to really get the magic you had to be there.
Seeing CATS made me realize that you never have to totally grow up, a concept I'd been struggling with (hell, I have a hard time with it now, at 20). Being in the theater allowed me to feel like a kid, to let the awe and, yes, the magic overwhelm me. Knowing that I don't have to totally abandon my more childlike qualities has helped me embrace growing up.
...wow. Sorry for the long post, but when I get going...

http://community.livejournal.com/ltd_brands_suck/

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#33re: I saw Cats!
Posted: 3/8/05 at 6:22pm

You have my sympathies

Poster Emeritus

Rose_MacShane
#34re: I saw Cats!
Posted: 3/8/05 at 6:43pm

You better not had been referring to me, Mr. Roxy.

BSoBW2
#35re: I saw Cats!
Posted: 3/8/05 at 6:54pm

I love Cats...

Saw it the week before it closed, front row...amazing!

spiderdj82 Profile Photo
spiderdj82
#36re: I saw Cats!
Posted: 3/8/05 at 7:04pm

Who cares if CATS doesn't have a plot (Which it does by the way......a small one.....but still a plot). It is a fun musical with great dancing and some fun songs. Who cares?

"They're eating her and then they're going to eat me. OH MY GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD!!!!" -Troll 2

Rose_MacShane
#37re: I saw Cats!
Posted: 3/8/05 at 7:20pm

Indeed, spider.

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#38re: I saw Cats!
Posted: 3/8/05 at 7:22pm

To Rose Mc Shane

I was referring to anyone who saw CATS & definitely not you personally

Poster Emeritus

Rose_MacShane
#39re: I saw Cats!
Posted: 3/8/05 at 7:33pm

Okay. Sorry, then.

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#40re: I saw Cats!
Posted: 3/8/05 at 7:36pm

One of my better bosses was a Pat Mc Shane

He left @ 2 everyday & very few knew it. He left his monitor on,had a phony sports coat draped around his chair , a spare pair of glasses on his desk. All so he could go play the ponies

Life is great

Poster Emeritus

spiderdj82 Profile Photo
spiderdj82
#41re: I saw Cats!
Posted: 3/8/05 at 7:41pm

um....that was one trip out post there. Gave me a buzz just reading it.

"They're eating her and then they're going to eat me. OH MY GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD!!!!" -Troll 2

Elphaba Profile Photo
Elphaba
#42re: I saw Cats!
Posted: 3/8/05 at 7:48pm

I've never even made it all the way through the video.....

It is ridiculous to set a detective story in New York City. New York City is itself a detective story... AGATHA CHRISTIE, Life magazine, May 14, 1956

Princeton78 Profile Photo
Princeton78
#43re: I saw Cats!
Posted: 3/8/05 at 8:06pm

Rose_MacShane...
Nicely put. I feel similarly.

"Y'all have a GRAND day now"

EponineThenardier Profile Photo
EponineThenardier
#44re: I saw Cats!
Posted: 3/8/05 at 8:42pm

I wish I had seen it as a kid. Because I'm sure I'd have loved it. Instead I saw it with my mother as a hormonal teenager (after we had had a big fight), we were in the nosebleed section and couldn't see very well, and the two people behind us were commenting on all the pu$$y on stage.

Justice Profile Photo
Justice
#45re: I saw Cats!
Posted: 3/9/05 at 12:23am

I smoked a blunt when I watched the video. Not even that could enhance the entertainment. It still sucked.

"Do you know what pledge time is, Andrew"? said the PBS Executive. "Yes", Lloyd Webber replied. "My 50th birthday special must be one program that gets done a lot." "No", mused the man from PBS heedlessy. "Not so much. Our Stephen Sondheim Carnegie Hall concert. That's a big one." Spoons, forks and knives seemed suddenly to suspend their motion in horror, all around the table.

sidneybruhl Profile Photo
sidneybruhl
#46re: I saw Cats!
Posted: 3/9/05 at 9:19pm

Cats--the most overrated musical ever!

EponineThenardier Profile Photo
EponineThenardier
#47re: I saw Cats!
Posted: 3/10/05 at 12:40am

You have to admit that the video version is at least better than "A chrous Line" video that had Michael Douglas, I wanted to claw my eyes out. Instead I just turned the TV off

Rose_MacShane
#48re: I saw Cats!
Posted: 3/10/05 at 12:55am

CATS is one of those shows that's virtually impossible to film well. It would have been much better if they had filmed a performance of it.
Take the overture: On the video, they run the credits with the overture and have all these superimposed cats' eyes all over the place, which I thought was silly and confusing. When you see it live, you can see little lights go on all around you, and you really get the impression that the theater is filling up with alley cats on the prowl. Then, the performers come out with light-up glasses and walk around, literally walking right in front of you. It's so cool.

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#49re: I saw Cats!
Posted: 3/10/05 at 9:32am

I love all the comments regarding the lack of plot. What exactly were they expecting? It was based on poems that had no plot. There was nothing that claimed it had a plot. It is not the first or last musical that doesn't have a plot. It is exactly what it was meant to be. The title says it all. Do these people feel somehow deceived thinking they were walking into a dramatic book show or old-fashioned musical comedy?

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

Videos