News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Stephanie J. Block

Aigoo Profile Photo
Aigoo
#25re: Stephanie J. Block
Posted: 7/12/05 at 12:35am

Her injury.

This is my signature.

Tap16 Profile Photo
Tap16
#26re: Stephanie J. Block
Posted: 7/12/05 at 2:01am

The best elphaba....i'd have to disagree, but i guess i'm just not used to hearing defying gravity sung by any one but idina, who i think was the best.

MouseInfo
#27re: Stephanie J. Block
Posted: 7/12/05 at 2:10am

When I saw her on the 8th, I enjoyed her acting, but was not impressed with her singing. She may of had an off night.

Adjie Profile Photo
Adjie
#28re: Stephanie J. Block
Posted: 7/12/05 at 9:04am

Now I have to add my two cents!! Cindy I feel your pain - I'm in TO too and missed the stage door opportunity - needed to pick-up my son, I was TOTALLY blown away by Stephanie and can't wait for her to return to Broadway. I also need my own picture with her so I can be like POPULAR (Hi pal!). She is not only an AMAZING performer but seems to be above all a WONDERFUL, KIND, CARING person and I can't wait to finally meet her.

xxnewgirlxx Profile Photo
xxnewgirlxx
#29re: Stephanie J. Block
Posted: 7/12/05 at 12:24pm

I liked her a lot as Elphaba, but right now, I'm on a Ana Gateyer high. She is SO fabulous in the role. So, of the 4 Elphabas I've seen (Idina, Stephanie, Eden, and Ana), I'd say my favorites are:

Idina
Ana
Stephanie
Eden

All four of these ladies were great, though.

kombatkoala
#30re: Stephanie J. Block
Posted: 7/12/05 at 12:31pm

She was great as Elphaba in LA. And she's a sweetheart. I really hope she goes back to New York sometime soon. But I'd rather see her do something new.

ken8631 Profile Photo
ken8631
#31re: Stephanie J. Block
Posted: 7/12/05 at 1:10pm

Absolutely.

Heard her do "Defying Gravity" at Birdland in NYC - fantastic (and yes, did hear Idina do it in "Wicked"). Steph was amazing. Also saw her in BFO 28 times.

She'll be in Philly with the Wicked tour, haven't heard anything about her being back in NYC again, though.

moonstruck1225
#32re: Stephanie J. Block
Posted: 7/13/05 at 4:39pm

She was also great in Boy From Oz as Liza. I met her and she is really nice. I even got an autograph!

Radioactiveduck Profile Photo
Radioactiveduck
#33re: Stephanie J. Block
Posted: 7/18/05 at 1:39am

There are seriously no words to describe how much I love Stephie in Wicked. I've seen Idina, Shoshana, and Eden(in Brooklyn, but I've still seen her), and I think Steph is one of the most brilliant Elphies there will ever be. Sorry, I'm still on a Wicked buzz.

MLE Profile Photo
MLE
#34re: Stephanie J. Block
Posted: 7/18/05 at 1:43am

Hehe, I understand, I tend to gush about Stephanie in Wicked, too! Although I haven't been as lucky as you and been able to see Idina or Shoshana.

I just love Steph. Period. But I especially love her as Elphie!!! She's always too talented for one person! re: Stephanie J. Block Updated On: 7/18/05 at 01:43 AM

StephanietheStar Profile Photo
StephanietheStar
#35re: Stephanie J. Block
Posted: 7/18/05 at 1:49am

She is by far THE best Elphaba..I don't care what anyone says...I've seen Idina do stuff (on tv..etc) I can't imagine anyone being better...

I've seen 3 more Elphaba's too...still the best!

and all that I could do because of you was talk of love...

#36re: Stephanie J. Block
Posted: 8/10/05 at 7:32pm

Being from Los Angeles, I have only seen one Elphaba, Stephanie J. Block. She is absolutely incredible -- her acting is phenomenal and she has a beautiful, rich, voice that is perfectly suited for the role.

I've never seen Idina Menzel perform live, but I've heard her on the cast recording, and I prefer Stephanie J. Block. Here's why: When I first saw Wicked, I had never heard the music before, so I had no preconceived notions about what Elphaba was supposed to sound like. Stephanie J. has a deep, full, emotive voice and she projects a pensive, vulnerable, modest, strength when she performs the role, which is just perfect for a lonely, misunderstood character like Elphaba.

When I eventually heard the cast recording, I was surprised by Idina Menzel's pop-diva performance of the songs. Don't get me wrong - Idina has a great voice - but I just don't see Elphaba as the "Celine Dion" type. I find Idina's singing a bit flashier than appropriate for Elphaba's character. That style was perfect for Maureen in Rent but in this role I find it a little too much.

I venture to guess that most people who think Idina is better than Stephanie probably saw Idina first or heard the cast recording first, and were therefore expecting Stephanie to sing the role like a pop diva. Since Stephanie doesn't perform like that, people who were expecting that might have been disappointed. But I urge anyone who sees Stephanie on tour to have an open mind, abandon preconceived notions of Idina Menzel, and enjoy Stephanie's performance in its own right.

As an aside, of all the Elphabas I've seen photos of, Stephanie looks the best in green! In my opinion, she is the only one who, upon being "greenified," is still truly beautiful. Perhaps some of you think that makes her less desirable as Elphaba, since Elphaba is supposed to be ugly...

lfae Profile Photo
lfae
#37re: Stephanie J. Block
Posted: 8/10/05 at 7:43pm

I'd give my right arm to see her as Elphaba re: Stephanie J. Block IMO, she's second only to Idina. But Eden's an extremely close third, so I'm still happy. Totally adore Steph though!!

Elphaba3 Profile Photo
Elphaba3
#38re: Stephanie J. Block
Posted: 8/10/05 at 7:45pm

I adore Stephanie. Idina is my favorite Elphaba, but Steph is a close second.

HBP Profile Photo
HBP
#39re: Stephanie J. Block
Posted: 8/10/05 at 7:57pm

Stephanie is an absolutely AMAZING Elphaba! She did such an amazing job in the role. I was completely blown away. I always watch those press clips of her, I can't get enough! I hope she comes to Broadway to do the role! When I saw her she was sooo on it was amazing. Idina's my favorite still, but that's because she was my first Elphaba.

Also - David Garrison = the BEST Wizard by far.

MissElphie Profile Photo
MissElphie
#40re: Stephanie J. Block
Posted: 8/10/05 at 8:03pm

I ADORE Steph! Ahem! If you love her too, join my fanlisting... :)
|
|
|
V
Updated On: 8/10/05 at 08:03 PM

Popular Profile Photo
Popular
#41re: Stephanie J. Block
Posted: 8/10/05 at 8:46pm

Pardon my ignorance but what exactly is the difference between a fansite, a fan listing, a live journal... this is all new to me. I know, kind of sad.

chenofan Profile Photo
chenofan
#42re: Stephanie J. Block
Posted: 8/10/05 at 11:15pm

So. I just got back from NYC and have now seen all fiur of the main Elphaba'a. Here is my order:
Steph.
Idina
Shoshanna
Eden (did not care for her at all. Her voice is not a fav of mine. It is ok but nothing I would get excited about. I'm really glad some like her though and she looks great in the green. Better thank most of them actualy!)

"You look like a Christmas tree with a drinking problem!" - MEMPHIS

MrBundles Profile Photo
MrBundles
#43re: Stephanie J. Block
Posted: 8/11/05 at 12:07am

I used to LOVE Idina as Elphie, but after seeing Steph, I dont really like Idina in the role anymore. People say they dont like recordings of her....but I listened to a recording of Steph sing defying gravity before I saw her live and I didnt like it, but she didnt sound anything like she did on the recording. In person was AWESOME.

Your fupa is showing.

cindy013 Profile Photo
cindy013
#44re: Stephanie J. Block
Posted: 8/11/05 at 12:07am

this thread makes me so happy! :)

"It breaks my heart to see a grown man dressed as a Taco." -David Sedaris
I love Les Miserables.
My new pic is me(on the left)at my last dance recital:(

HBP Profile Photo
HBP
#45re: Stephanie J. Block
Posted: 8/11/05 at 1:02am

Me too, I love that so many people love Stephanie. I didn't realize. Stephanie, if you're out there, come to Broadway!

Orsomething Profile Photo
Orsomething
#46re: Stephanie J. Block
Posted: 8/11/05 at 1:06am

just gotta say that stephanie is amazing and i love her!!!!

"If I ever go looking for my heart's desire again, I won't look any further than my own back yard. Because if it isn't there, I never really lost it to begin with!" -Wizard of Oz

#47re: Stephanie J. Block
Posted: 8/11/05 at 1:24am

She seems like a really genuine person, and I love that about her. From what I have seen, I think she would be a great Elphaba. I have yet to see her... but I will in the future. I don't really think it's necessary to compare each of the Elphabas, because each person who has played her took their own interpretation of how they felt the character should be... in their own different ways, I think they each suceeded.

--korenglish

WickedOne2 Profile Photo
WickedOne2
#48re: Stephanie J. Block
Posted: 8/11/05 at 1:29am

I prefer Idina over Stephanie. Idina's vocals blew me away. Stephanie's acting was good, but she seemed to play Elphaba too old. And she didn't extend her notes -- Wizard and I seemed very rushed. She has good voice and I did really enjoy her versions of I'm Not That Girl and No Good Deed (AMAZING!!!)

"I wish the stage were as narrow as the wire of a tightrope dancer, so that no incompetent would dare step upon it." Goethe

flirtandflounce Profile Photo
flirtandflounce
#49re: Stephanie J. Block
Posted: 8/11/05 at 1:55am

I'm really looking forward to seeing her when the tour comes to Hartford in December, she sounds like she's amazing and I've heard so many stories about how sweet a person she is!

Videos