News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

Thanks for the VIRGINIA WOOLF production.- Page 2

Thanks for the VIRGINIA WOOLF production.

lildogs Profile Photo
lildogs
#25re: Thanks for the VIRGINIA WOOLF production.
Posted: 9/7/05 at 5:47pm

So sad to see this one leave! How it lost revival to Glengarry I'll never know and I can say the same for Lenox beating Enos for Featured Actress...ridiculous...

MusicalDirector109
#26re: Thanks for the VIRGINIA WOOLF production.
Posted: 9/7/05 at 9:05pm

I really don't understand the revival going to "Glengarry" either. Was it the big names associated with the play?? IMHO, I felt that I was watching a great team work when I saw "Virginia Woolf". It was truly one of my greatest theatre moments. Still kicking myself for not being there last Sunday!!

H.Higgins Profile Photo
H.Higgins
#27re: Thanks for the VIRGINIA WOOLF production.
Posted: 9/7/05 at 9:14pm

As soon as the closing was announced, we decided to get tickets to the final show and I cannot express how absolutely thrilled I am that we did.

This was the most riveting, stunning, and captivating piece of theatre I have ever experienced. Kathleen Turner was utter perfection as Martha and Bill Irwin was simply a revelation and is truly a master of his craft.

Thank you to all involved for such a brilliant production.

Bravo!

melissa errico fan Profile Photo
melissa errico fan
#28re: Thanks for the VIRGINIA WOOLF production.
Posted: 9/8/05 at 6:42pm

Intersting story:

About ten years ago, Lea DeLaria and Mary Testa approached Albee to do a same-sex production of VIRGINIA WOOLF (Lea as George; Mary as Martha). Albee turned them down, as he does with all requests to produce the play with a same-sex cast.

MargoChanning
#29re: Thanks for the VIRGINIA WOOLF production.
Posted: 9/8/05 at 6:50pm

From Musto's column this week:

"There's only one KATHLEEN TURNER—great segue, right?—and I'm sorry to read she's split from her one and only longtime hubby JAY WEISS. Could the theater itself be the third party? When Turner prepared to play the drunk, rumble-loving Martha in the stage revival of Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?, I interviewed her for Show People magazine and she said, "Martha is keeping me up at night . . . I have to be really careful that Martha doesn't cross over into my life too much. I have a marriage of 20 years and I don't want to take Martha home and turn my husband Jay into George." Who's afraid that may have happened?

I am, kids, I am."

"What a story........ everything but the bloodhounds snappin' at her rear end." -- Birdie [http://margochanning.broadwayworld.com/] "The Devil Be Hittin' Me" -- Whitney

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#30re: Thanks for the VIRGINIA WOOLF production.
Posted: 9/8/05 at 6:53pm

There should be an audience for both "crap" like Spamalot & WAOVW. Everything cannot be high art. Unfortunately, high ticket prices make it necessary for people to make choices. Since much of Broadway is geared to tourists & their wants & desires, this is what happens. Someone from Iowa ( no offense intended ) wants to see a big splashy musical as opposed to drama. A sad fact of life but a fact nonetheless

My wife & I both loved it as all we ever saw peviously was the movie which was a whole different take on it. We were shocked when we saw the show at how different it was.

Poster Emeritus
Updated On: 9/8/05 at 06:53 PM

StephanietheStar Profile Photo
StephanietheStar
#31re: Thanks for the VIRGINIA WOOLF production.
Posted: 9/8/05 at 7:08pm

That show is currently at my college right now, we have professional theatre company that comes in to use our stages now (and we get equity points if we are in the show!) one of my good friends is an u/s..it opens Friday...

Rockford College in Rockford Il if anyone is in the area..:)

and all that I could do because of you was talk of love...

cturtle Profile Photo
cturtle
#32re: Thanks for the VIRGINIA WOOLF production.
Posted: 9/8/05 at 8:51pm

ditto ditto, echo echo, everyone's enthusiastic remarks! it was a wonderful three hours of theatre!

RIP glebby <3

Videos