News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

Gonna be a "quiet" Tony season, huh?- Page 2

Gonna be a "quiet" Tony season, huh?

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#25re: Gonna be a 'quiet' Tony season, huh?
Posted: 12/2/05 at 6:40pm

Yeah, don't count out TARZAN. Everything Disney has done has been golden.

"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle

RentBoy86
#26re: Gonna be a 'quiet' Tony season, huh?
Posted: 12/2/05 at 10:21pm

Yeah, Elton John's last show - Aida proved to be fairly successful, though he was pared with Disney on that one. I still think tarzan might surprise us as being a very artistic show.

sweeneyfan
#27re: Gonna be a 'quiet' Tony season, huh?
Posted: 12/2/05 at 10:29pm

Mamma Mia was nominated in 2002. A jukebox musical. Movin Out was nominated and won a couple in 2003. A juke box musical. A true jukebox muical, Smokey Joe's Cafe (it even played like one and had one on the show curtain) was nominated for several in 1997, and outran the "Best Musical" - Sunset Blvd. by almost 3 to 1.

"Cor! me bones is weary!" -Mrs. Lovett

jasobres
#28re: Gonna be a 'quiet' Tony season, huh?
Posted: 12/2/05 at 10:49pm

Smokey Joe's was NOT a jukebox musical. It was a REVUE! Big diff. A jukebox musical is basically a musical with a bunch of prewritten songs with a storyline written around the songs while a revue is just a performance of the songs.

"Ev'ry-buddy wants ta get into de act!" - Jimmy Durante "Breathe from your hoo-hoo." -Kristin Chenoweth

aegeusrocks Profile Photo
aegeusrocks
#29re: Gonna be a 'quiet' Tony season, huh?
Posted: 12/2/05 at 10:51pm

It seems that main idea to consider here is to never underestimate the power of mid-to-late season openings..."Spring Returns with balmy zephyrs softly springed" and such (non-musical theater song reference, as it looks cryptic).

Theatreboy49 Profile Photo
Theatreboy49
#30re: Gonna be a 'quiet' Tony season, huh?
Posted: 12/3/05 at 12:04am

The season will heat up once Tarzan and Lestat open. Plus remember that Wicked opened to mixed reviews and now its one of the mos tpopular shows on broadway so I'd say Color Purple could turn out to be incredible. I personally think the most intresting thing which we've yet to see will be lestat and mind u most people havent even heard the color purple yet so I say wait till the big contenders open and then we will have something to debate about.

<------ Me and my friends with patti Lupone at my friends afterparty for her concert with audra mcdonald during the summer of 2007.
"I am sorry but it is an unjust world and virtue is only triumphant in theatricle performances" The Mikado

FosseBoi
#31re: Gonna be a 'quiet' Tony season, huh?
Posted: 12/3/05 at 12:57am

We have The Queen Oprah in one corner, and The Almighty Disney in the other. I think it should be interesting. Plus, dont the shows send the voters things to persuade them to vote for their shows? I cant imagin with as much money as BOTH of them have, what the voters will be getting.

"I've always secretly longed for an actress to get to the top of the cherry picker and projectile vomit all over the guards below."- Wonderwaiter in the "Defy Gravity?" thread. ~~~~~~~~My dream? Sutton Foster as Cassie in A Chorus Line

RockabyeHamlet
#32re: Gonna be a 'quiet' Tony season, huh?
Posted: 12/3/05 at 2:08am

I'd say by the final stretch, this season will be anything but quiet. Too many big names to keep it quiet. That being said I think Tarzan, The Woman in White, The Drowsy Chaperone, and The Color Purple will be the final four Best Musical contenders. And Best Actress in a Musical will be interesting to watch as well. *crosses fingers for Patti*

Also, I'd love to be a TONY voter this year:)

"I wouldn't let Esparza's Bobby take my kids to the zoo...I'd be afraid he'd steal their ice cream and laugh."- YankeeFan
"People who like Sondheim enjoy cruelty."-LuvtheEmcee

RentBoy86
#33re: Gonna be a 'quiet' Tony season, huh?
Posted: 12/3/05 at 2:37am

I'd have to agree with ya ROCKABYEHAMLET - Webber, Oprah, Disney, and the little show that could. Sounds like a very interesting Tony awards. Considering none of those are guaranteed winners. Although I guess the past couple of season have proved that you can't really guess who is going to win.

apdarcey
#34re: Gonna be a 'quiet' Tony season, huh?
Posted: 12/3/05 at 4:04am

one can't ever forget crazy for you either. that one was very popular and well-received.

Smaxie Profile Photo
Smaxie
#35re: Gonna be a 'quiet' Tony season, huh?
Posted: 12/3/05 at 6:05am

Producers used to be able to send out whatever they wanted to the Tony voters to get their attention. But after the Wicked/Avenue Q year, that practice has been stopped. I believe producers are only allowed now to send a script, a CD, a souvenir book, or a packet of information, like reviews or quotes.

Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end: then stop.

Videos