News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

Voting for Bway.com's STAR OF THE YEAR- Page 2

Voting for Bway.com's STAR OF THE YEAR

jsand25 Profile Photo
jsand25
#25re: Voting for Bway.com's STAR OF THE YEAR
Posted: 12/16/05 at 8:54pm

This isn't the award for most courageous, its for star of the year. If it was most courageous, we would give it to the woman from Woman in White who had cancer and still performed!

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#26re: Voting for Bway.com's STAR OF THE YEAR
Posted: 12/16/05 at 8:55pm

It's also not the award for BEST PERFORMANCE OF THE YEAR.

Something some of you are failing to realize.

filmgirl325 Profile Photo
filmgirl325
#27re: Voting for Bway.com's STAR OF THE YEAR
Posted: 12/16/05 at 9:01pm

Norbert all the way!!

"It's the smile you smile that counts, happy thoughts in large amounts, any problem you can trounce, you can bounce right back."--Donald O'Connor

Feathah Profile Photo
Feathah
#28re: Voting for Bway.com's STAR OF THE YEAR
Posted: 12/16/05 at 9:38pm

Difficult choice. Kept going back and forth between Norbert and Cherry Jones but ultimately chose Norbert.

"The theater is my life. I live it. I breathe it. I fondle it till it falls asleep." Jack (Will And Grace) http://feathah.blogspot.com

Jazzysuite82
#29re: Voting for Bway.com's STAR OF THE YEAR
Posted: 12/16/05 at 10:40pm

Wow am I the only one who chose Chita. I mean COME ON the woman has nearly half a century in this business. She is 72 and can still out sing and out dance Christina Applegate. She's a living legend.

GYPSY1527 Profile Photo
GYPSY1527
#30re: Voting for Bway.com's STAR OF THE YEAR
Posted: 12/16/05 at 10:46pm

If it makes you feel any better, Chita was my second choice but Patti drew me into her web of fabulouseness!

Happy...Everything! Kaye Thompson

Elphaba3 Profile Photo
Elphaba3
#31re: Voting for Bway.com's STAR OF THE YEAR
Posted: 12/16/05 at 10:58pm

Norbert gets my vote.

musicalsaregreat
#32re: Voting for Bway.com's STAR OF THE YEAR
Posted: 12/16/05 at 11:17pm

Nobody is better than Cherry Jones!!!!

Dirty Rotten Scoundrel Profile Photo
Dirty Rotten Scoundrel
#33re: Voting for Bway.com's STAR OF THE YEAR
Posted: 12/16/05 at 11:24pm

Norbert, I felt that he definitely deserves it this year. He's finally gotten a part that he was able to make his own and get truly appreciated for. Go Norb!

What the heck is up with the votes for Christina?!

willact4food Profile Photo
willact4food
#34re: Voting for Bway.com's STAR OF THE YEAR
Posted: 12/16/05 at 11:47pm

I also voted for Christina. All of the nominees are very deserving of this award, but I feel that Applegate is the most deserving. Just my opinion!

#35re: Voting for Bway.com's STAR OF THE YEAR
Posted: 12/17/05 at 12:25am

big surprise here....Chita Rivera!

nomdeplume
#36How Now no Victoria Clark?
Posted: 12/17/05 at 12:42am

My vote would had gone to Victoria Clark who sings eight marathons a week in The Light in the Piazza and won the Tony for it.

As she was regrettably overlooked in whatever selection process there was, I will cast no vote...

FosseBoi
#37How Now no Victoria Clark?
Posted: 12/17/05 at 12:58am

CHITA CHITA CHITA!!!!! Shes a freeken legend! How can you not vote for her! My second choice was Patti, another legend.

"I've always secretly longed for an actress to get to the top of the cherry picker and projectile vomit all over the guards below."- Wonderwaiter in the "Defy Gravity?" thread. ~~~~~~~~My dream? Sutton Foster as Cassie in A Chorus Line

jimmirae Profile Photo
jimmirae
#38How Now no Victoria Clark?
Posted: 12/17/05 at 12:58am

I voted for LuPone. Anybody who can be part of the orchestra AND play Mrs. Lovett wins with me!

"It is bad enough that people are dying of AIDS, but no one should die of ignorance." - Elizabeth Taylor

Conor Profile Photo
Conor
#39How Now no Victoria Clark?
Posted: 12/17/05 at 1:00am

I voted Cherry. I think that Maria Fridman and Victoria Clark definitly belong on the list. And I'd throw in Cheyenne Jackson as well, cause ASU was soooo much fun. sigh. i miss it.

bare_nakedlady Profile Photo
bare_nakedlady
#40How Now no Victoria Clark?
Posted: 12/17/05 at 1:08am

CHERRY is the best pick out of all of them.

So here's to another Cherry vote!! She moves me in ways that are ineffable!

"It's like children's theatre for 40-year old gay people!" - XANADU THE MUSICAL

wickedrentq Profile Photo
wickedrentq
#41How Now no Victoria Clark?
Posted: 12/17/05 at 1:17am

Norbert definitely.

I mean I do happen to think of performance of the year when I think of star of the year, but if you want to use what you've been saying about Christina...well Norbert may not have had a broken foot or had to save his show, but it's not exactly like he gets to breeze through his performance. He's rolling on the floor, singing, dancing, jumping all over the place in GBS, slides down the stairs, etc. I was fortunate to go to a talkback after one performance and he sat w/ his bag on the stage and every so often he would fall onto his bag, he looked soo tired. But he gives it his all 8 times a week.

That and he gave the performance of the year(well Victoria was great to but she's not a choice...)

"If there was a Mount Rushmore for Broadway scores, "West Side Story" would be front and center. It snaps, it crackles it pops! It surges with a roar, its energy and sheer life undiminished by the years" - NYPost reviewer Elisabeth Vincentelli

#42How Now no Victoria Clark?
Posted: 12/17/05 at 1:17am

norby (:

lamentingenvelope Profile Photo
lamentingenvelope
#43How Now no Victoria Clark?
Posted: 12/17/05 at 10:00am

I voted for Christina.

gwalke4
#44How Now no Kelli O'Hara?
Posted: 12/17/05 at 10:14am

Where's Kelli O'Hara?

I voted for Cherry Jones, but she will always be a runner up to the astonishing Ms. O'Hara

#45How Now no Kelli O'Hara?
Posted: 12/17/05 at 10:35am

I would have chosen a Piazza triumvirate over Norbert, but I very willingly still vote for Norbert out of all of the nominees there. He was my choice, hands down. No one else on that list deserves it more than him.

Here's why:
Norbert Leo Butz is the most hilarious person you will see on stage this season. He commands your attention and has unbelievable stage presence. His performances of "Great Big Stuff" never grow old. His facial expressions, dance movements, and hand gestures are just a joy to watch. Norbert steals the show and is not one to be missed.

Jkor

Creative Lunatic
#46How Now no Kelli O'Hara?
Posted: 12/17/05 at 11:52am

Who is the Broadway.com Star of the Year for 2005? The Broadway.com editorial staff has nominated eight worthy performers that displayed the rare combination of talent, personality and undeniable stage presence—in shows that would have been all the less without them.

Using that criteria---It looks like a no-brainer---Chita---without her--there is No Dancers Life..
My suggestion would be that they reword their criteria...

YOU_aremyLucky_STAR
#47How Now no Victoria Clark?
Posted: 12/17/05 at 12:42pm

I voted for Norbert, but I am still shocked that Victoria Clark was not a choice.

My vote would have gone to Victoria hands down. Her part is emotionally exhausting, and yet she comes into each performance with a fresh start. She has vocally demanding songs and nails them dead on. Which makes me wonder how Christina was nominated?

Oh, well. Here's to Norbert! His performance in DRS is unforgettable, and hilarious. I absolutely hope he takes the win.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#48How Now no Victoria Clark?
Posted: 12/17/05 at 12:56pm

I don't understand why people don't get why Christina was nominated.

Were you people not alive during the Spring of last year? This is NOT for the BEST PERFORMER. It's for the BEST STAR, which means overall. Those nominees all accomplished something special. From the courage of Applegate to the big return of Chita Rivera to Norbert's huge star turn in Comedy which really put him on the map.

Incase some of you forgot what happened to Christina last Spring.

- Christina breaks foot in Chicago out of town try out of Sweet Charity.

- The producers announce the show will open with Charlotte d'Amboise

- The producers announce the show will just close out of town in Boston, and will not open on Broadway.

- Christina Applegate convinces the producers to keep the show going. She gets the show back and the jobs back of so many Broadway favorites and upcoming talents.

- Christina opens on Broadway and performs the show 8 times a week on a broken foot.

- Christina gets a well deserved Tony nomination.

Is that not enough to be nominated for STAR OF THE YEAR? Give me a break, some of you just can't get over what happened. Some of you are just bitter, jealous, and idiotic.

GYPSY1527 Profile Photo
GYPSY1527
#49How Now no Victoria Clark?
Posted: 12/17/05 at 1:06pm

Why do you try to convince people to change their opinion? You are so set on Christina its getting obnoxious. I didn't vote for Christina along with other people because I just didn't like her. I hold a high standard for Broadway performers and I believe that they should be the best of the best. I didn't think she was. Get over it.

Happy...Everything! Kaye Thompson

Videos