News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Jodi Benson

MCfan2 Profile Photo
MCfan2
#25jodi benson
Posted: 8/3/06 at 8:19pm

Wow, I thought they had fantastic charisma. But I saw it in January 1993, so maybe they had had time to settle into the roles. (Actually, they had so much charisma by then it's difficult to see how they could ever have NOT have any!)

Fiction Writer Profile Photo
Fiction Writer
#26jodi benson
Posted: 8/3/06 at 8:25pm

If Karen was in BIG, would the show have become a hit?

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#27jodi benson
Posted: 8/3/06 at 8:35pm

No, just less of a flop.

And, pardon me Benson lovers, but her vibratto was so extreme that she could've caused three earthquakes with that... hmph.

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

lvpblues
#28jodi benson
Posted: 8/3/06 at 9:22pm

I too have to jump on the bandwagon of those who find Benson's voice less than desirable. I find with Crazy For You that I much prefer listening to Ruthie Henshall on the London album. (Though that's just one of the many reasons why I make that choice).

~K

Funny Face Profile Photo
Funny Face
#29jodi benson
Posted: 8/3/06 at 9:49pm

>>I could sing for a church group and still be a homo.

...Who said you couldn't?

seabyrd
#30jodi benson
Posted: 8/3/06 at 10:59pm

Yes, I saw her in Crazy for You - and I couldnt figure out how she got the role. Her voice was extremely annoying, and her personality not much better. She should stick to doing voices of cartoons for Disney. The rest of the cast was ok - Harry Groener was a little old for the part, but his dancing was pretty good. I have the video of the PaperMill production starring Jim Walton and Stacy Logan. If you can believe it, Stacy Logan was even MORE horrible than Jodi Benson. Where was Judy Garland when we needed her.....

nycdncr Profile Photo
nycdncr
#31jodi benson
Posted: 8/3/06 at 11:32pm

Just so y'all know, I'm convinced that vibrato-ey voice was a character choice for the role of Polly. You've all heard her sing the entire 'Little Mermaid' score...did you hear that vibrato anywhere in that recording?

I went to the same college as Jodi....Millikin University. During homecoming of my freshman year, she came back to do a concert with the show choir that I was in. She was an absolute dream to work with. I was shocked when she was singing to hear none of the vibrato from 'Crazy for You'. What I did hear, though, was one of the most versatile voices I've ever heard before in my life. She sang quite a few standards like 'Our Love Is Here To Stay' with a smokey, loungy sound and lots of Disney stuff with the typical Disney voice....do you have any idea how thrilling it is to stand backstage and watch her sing 'Part Of Your World'? I still get chills thinking about it. She also sang songs from Beauty and the Beast, Pocohontas, and Hunchback.

My mother made a video of the concert....the only one in existence. She was approached by an usher about recording it, but there was no notice in the program and no announcement made saying not to record it. Thankfully she stood her ground and was able to continue recording. I have that entire thrilling concert on video now!

As for being a Christian, she was and is. I think it's great to see performers who believe! She offered a prayer before the concert with our entire showchoir. Truly a wonderful experience. She's one of the nicest, most genuine people I've ever met. And....talented to boot.

Courage does not always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day that says, "I will try again tomorrow."

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#32jodi benson
Posted: 8/3/06 at 11:56pm

I'm convinced that vibrato-ey voice was a character choice for the role of Polly.

Well, what a strange choice, I thought I was watching the show on a massage chair or a dishwasher everytime she opened her mouth, and it didn't even feel good.

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

StageManager2 Profile Photo
StageManager2
#33jodi benson
Posted: 8/4/06 at 12:00am

Jodi was also the voice of Thumbelina in that Don Bluth animated musical.

Salve, Regina, Mater misericordiae
Vita, dulcedo, et spes nostra
Salve, Salve Regina
Ad te clamamus exsules filii Eva
Ad te suspiramus, gementes et flentes
O clemens O pia

TheEnchantedHunter
#34jodi benson
Posted: 8/4/06 at 12:01am

And how is her dear, handsome husband Ray?

Winthrop Paroo
River City, Iowa

nycdncr Profile Photo
nycdncr
#35jodi benson
Posted: 8/4/06 at 12:16am

i thought it fit....Polly wasn't supposed to be a singer...she was a country bumpkin from deadrock, nevada.

Courage does not always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day that says, "I will try again tomorrow."

BertCCRI Profile Photo
BertCCRI
#36jodi benson
Posted: 8/4/06 at 12:43am

Jodi also played the leading role of Doria Hudson in "Smile," one of my favorite flop musicals. Though there was never a cast album released, there was a private recording made for members of the production, of which I later obtained an imperfect (but still great to have) cassette copy. Jodi's rendition of "Disneyland," a terrific song by Marvin Hamlisch and Howard Ashman, was recorded by Bruce Kimmel on "Unsung Musicals."

Stphen1187
#37Jodi Benson
Posted: 8/4/06 at 1:49am

For anyone willing to give Jodi's vibrato in 'Crazy for You' (which I don't mind in the least...I find the the "character voice" she uses to be very fitting of Polly) another chance should look no further than her rendition of "Disneyland" on the aforementioned 'Unsung Musicals'...it's fantastic!!

eatlasagna
#38Jodi Benson
Posted: 8/4/06 at 1:55am

if i'm not mistaken... Jodi lives here in Burbank and is active in her church... i had a friend that went to her church and told me one day that "the little mermaid" sings at his church choir... haha... but that was back in 2002 so i don't know if she's still here...

49th Street
#39Jodi Benson
Posted: 8/4/06 at 12:09pm

Fiction Writer, so sorry you have such negativity associated with Christians...one bad egg could ruin everything. Unfortunately, there is more than one bad egg in the public eye touting "Born Again"

Just as in any group, not all Christians are this way.

cathywellerstein Profile Photo
cathywellerstein
#40Jodi Benson
Posted: 10/3/06 at 1:24pm

BUMP!!

Jodi Benson is signing autographs today at the Disney Store in NYC on 5th and 55th!

I'm not gonna lie... I kinda wanna go.

#41Jodi Benson
Posted: 10/3/06 at 1:52pm

Big would have flopped just as monstrously with Christa or Karen in the role. BTW, I really can't picture Karen as Susan because I can't picture her successfully seducing anyone.

StandingO
#42Jodi Benson
Posted: 10/3/06 at 2:17pm

Christa replaced Karen in the National Tour of Crazy for You when Karen left to go to Broadway. Christa was great in the role. I saw her in Boston.

#43Jodi Benson
Posted: 10/3/06 at 2:45pm

Uh, why do ya'll feel its okay to bash born again Christians? You don't have to be a drunk or a whore or even a homo to embrace any diety that works for you. Intolerence, even in jest, is offensive.

EverythingIsRENT Profile Photo
EverythingIsRENT
#44Jodi Benson
Posted: 10/3/06 at 2:56pm

she's at the Disney astore!?! I live three avenues over!! What time will she be there?? *giddiness*

Sunchips: Best Kept Secret in the chip aisle!!

cathywellerstein Profile Photo
cathywellerstein
#45Jodi Benson
Posted: 10/3/06 at 3:20pm

she's only there til 4!! HURRY!!

Reverie
#46Jodi Benson
Posted: 10/3/06 at 3:26pm

Aww, I wish I lived in NYC Jodi Benson

StephanietheStar Profile Photo
StephanietheStar
#47Jodi Benson
Posted: 10/3/06 at 4:15pm

Jodi Benson is my idol....

I saw that Millennium Park 3 divas concert last year too, whoever said that...that was the 2nd time I saw/met her.

and my professors know her, since she's from Rockford. and one in particular doesn't like her habit of pushing her beliefs on others, at least that's what I got out of our conversation...

I still think she is absolutely DIVINE. and she's still the #1 influence that got me into musical theatre/singing.

p.s. I have been watching the little mermaid special edition features, and I'm balling my eyes out..I'm that much of a nerd.

and all that I could do because of you was talk of love...

EverythingIsRENT Profile Photo
EverythingIsRENT
#48Jodi Benson
Posted: 10/3/06 at 7:59pm

crap i didnt make it...where was this information poosted!?! i hope she'll be doing other apearances wit hthe dvd release and all...

Sunchips: Best Kept Secret in the chip aisle!!

sondheimboy2 Profile Photo
sondheimboy2
#49Jodi Benson
Posted: 10/3/06 at 11:36pm

I saw her in the Donny Osmond-less, yet Osmond-filled tour of "Joseph". I got her autograph on a still from "Crazy for You" and my Playbill from "Smile."

She wrote "God Bless" on each of them, along with her name and her character's name.

Her husband, a cutie, played one of the brothers in the tour.

If she's happier singing about God than Gershwin, more power to her...

"A coherent existance after so many years of muddle" - Desiree' Armfelt, A Little Night Music "Life keeps happening everyday, Say Yes" - 70, Girls, 70 "Life is what you do while you're waiting to die" - Zorba

Videos