News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

thoughts on SUDDENLY LAST SUMMER- Page 2

thoughts on SUDDENLY LAST SUMMER

muchado Profile Photo
muchado
#25re: thoughts on SUDDENLY LAST SUMMER
Posted: 11/6/06 at 5:44am

Anyone else seen this show in the last few days and have an opinion? I'm putting together some review quotes for interested parties.

WithoutATrace Profile Photo
WithoutATrace
#26re: thoughts on SUDDENLY LAST SUMMER
Posted: 11/6/06 at 10:18am

I saw it on Saturday afternoon. Blyth Danner and Gale Harold were not very good, but it Carla Gugino's (sp?) performance was incredible. I didn't know the story beforehand, and hadn't seen the movie, so I wasn't really prepared for the strange storyline. I thought it was OK, but I think I would have enjoyed myself more had I known the story ahead of time, rather than trying to figure out what was going on (why the son had died, what he had done wrong, why the mother was so uptight about the subject, etc.). Still, it is worth seeing just for Carla's excellent performance.

Fiction Writer Profile Photo
Fiction Writer
#27re: thoughts on SUDDENLY LAST SUMMER
Posted: 11/6/06 at 12:53pm

TCM had the movie on a few nights ago.
I'm still kicking myself for not watching it.

WithoutATrace
#28re: thoughts on SUDDENLY LAST SUMMER
Posted: 11/6/06 at 1:02pm

I'm going to have to rent it soon!

MrMidwest Profile Photo
MrMidwest
#29re: thoughts on SUDDENLY LAST SUMMER
Posted: 11/6/06 at 9:46pm

I hope Carla does an interview about the show soon. I'm interested to know how she approached the character.

"The gods who nurse this universe think little of mortals' cares. They sit in crowds on exclusive clouds and laugh at our love affairs. I might have had a real romance if they'd given me a chance. I loved him, but he didn't love me. I wanted him, but he didn't want me. Then the gods had a spree and indulged in another whim. Now he loves me, but I don't love him." - Cole Porter

muchado Profile Photo
muchado
#30re: thoughts on SUDDENLY LAST SUMMER
Posted: 11/7/06 at 7:03am

"I saw it on Saturday afternoon. Blyth Danner and Gale Harold were not very good, but it Carla Gugino's (sp?) performance was incredible."

Seems to be the consesus. I'm holding off on the write up in the hopes that Blythe and Gale will feel more at ease with their roles given time. Its very early days and I'd like to have something more positive to include. I'm interested in how the supporting cast are coming along also.

WithoutATrace
#31re: thoughts on SUDDENLY LAST SUMMER
Posted: 11/7/06 at 9:24am

While none of them really had much to do in the show, the supporting cast members were all excellent, IMO.

dkellergrl Profile Photo
dkellergrl
#32re: thoughts on SUDDENLY LAST SUMMER
Posted: 11/7/06 at 9:35am

Thanks for posting your thoughts on the show. I've read other really great reviews on Carla Gugino's performance.

WithoutATrace
#33re: thoughts on SUDDENLY LAST SUMMER
Posted: 11/7/06 at 9:39am

Carla really was fabulous in the role. I hope this show helps her career and gets her more parts in the future. A wonderful actress.

chrrymn
#34re: thoughts on SUDDENLY LAST SUMMER
Posted: 11/7/06 at 12:07pm

I thought Blythe was quite boring. She, also, stumbled on several lines. Gale is hot...good thing he has that going for him... Carla, saves this play. Her accent was great and consistant. I thought she was flawless. I couldn't really follow Blythe because of her performance, but as soon as Carla starts speaking you sort of "get it". Does that even make sense? ha.

And I didn't know it was also a movie. I look forward to seeing it.

Given the chance to see it again, I'd pass.

::Sarah::
"Mrs. Lovett, how I did without you all these years I'll never know!"

heist
#35re: thoughts on SUDDENLY LAST SUMMER
Posted: 11/8/06 at 5:25pm

I'm rather surprised that there have been several reports of Blythe Danner's performance being 'boring' or not very good. She's such a vivacious actress. If anything, I thought she'd be the one who stole the show, not to say that the other cast members wouldn't have that ability. But I think she's proven herself over and over to be an extremely well established actress, I've never seen her give a lackluster performance.

chrrymn
#36re: thoughts on SUDDENLY LAST SUMMER
Posted: 11/8/06 at 6:12pm

I was really surprised at Blythe's performance myself. You have this thought in your head about her being a top notch Hollywood actress, which she is, but she just did not deliver at all for me (and a good number of others who've seen the play).

::Sarah::
"Mrs. Lovett, how I did without you all these years I'll never know!"

wexy
#37re: thoughts on SUDDENLY LAST SUMMER
Posted: 11/8/06 at 10:00pm

I'm going Friday. Will report back.

'Take me out tonight where's there's music and there's people and they're young and alive.'

muchado Profile Photo
muchado
#38re: thoughts on SUDDENLY LAST SUMMER
Posted: 11/9/06 at 4:34am

"I'm going Friday. Will report back."

Wonderful! Please do.

As for Blythe, its been a mixed bag, though no one has gone past saying she gave a "solid performance". But, like I said, its early days.

I hope the reviewers don't mind me including name-tags with the good and not-so-good quotes? If so, just let me know.

heist
#39re: thoughts on SUDDENLY LAST SUMMER
Posted: 11/9/06 at 11:16am

I'm remembering an interview that Blythe did recently, and I recall her saying that her role as Mrs. Venable happens to be one of the most challenging roles she's had to do. I've read the play, and think it's wonderful, but I imagine it's got to be a challenge to carry out on stage. I think she and the rest of the cast will fit will into their roles eventually.

muchado Profile Photo
muchado
#40re: thoughts on SUDDENLY LAST SUMMER
Posted: 11/11/06 at 8:08am

Well I went on the hunt via google and searched various Gale Harold message boards and found that, on the whole, his fans who have seen the play have been delighted with his performance. And yeah... ofcourse they're biased, but they still pay their money to have a good night out like everyone else.

Blythe Danner and Carla Gugino were also highly praised.

Broadwayworld.com reviews - especially after the weekend shows - would be greatly appreciated if anyone can spare the time.

Updated On: 11/11/06 at 08:08 AM

wexy
#41re: thoughts on SUDDENLY LAST SUMMER
Posted: 11/11/06 at 10:47am

I saw it last night. The theatre was freezing which was distracting.

While people said that Blythe Danner was 'stumbling', we have to remember that the charachter had a stroke, Before I realized that, I thought that Blythe herself might be sick.
The outstanding performance was Carla Gugino, she was riveting.

Gale Harold's performance was fine. It wasn't "wow" or "what the heck was that. The rest of cast did their jobs.

At the Roundabout after party, I met Gale as well as Karen Walsh, Becky Ann Baker and Wayne Wilcox. Nice people, I asked them "Were you guys cold?" They said they were freezing (on this tropical set) And tried to get the temperature fixed. The whole audience were talking amongst ourselves at the party how freaking cold we were. If everyone was concentrating on staying warm, it took a bit away. Ms Gugino's performance made me forget that I was literally shivering.

'Take me out tonight where's there's music and there's people and they're young and alive.'

muchado Profile Photo
muchado
#42re: thoughts on SUDDENLY LAST SUMMER
Posted: 11/11/06 at 4:30pm

Lol. Being cold is distracting. I always take a jacket with me to the cinema in summer because they have the airconditioning on and when you haven't moved for more than half an hour it begins to get cold.

Thank you for the review. I especially liked the "Ms Gugino's performance made me forget that I was literally shivering." comment.

What did you think of the set?

wexy
#43re: thoughts on SUDDENLY LAST SUMMER
Posted: 11/11/06 at 5:40pm

Lots of vines. The garden looked a bit overgrown, Don't know if thats normal for New Orleans or if things had been let go a little since the death of her son.

iluvtheatertrash
#44re: thoughts on SUDDENLY LAST SUMMER
Posted: 11/11/06 at 5:45pm

Is the show really only an hour and a half long? Seeing it tonight, trying to make plans afterwards.

"I know now that theatre saved my life." - Susan Stroman

MrMidwest Profile Photo
MrMidwest
#45re: thoughts on SUDDENLY LAST SUMMER
Posted: 11/11/06 at 6:07pm

I really can't wait to get to NY to see this. If Carla is as good in it as people are saying she is, she'd probably be a terrific Maggie in Cat on a Hot Tin Roof. I could also imagine her playing Cherie in Bus Stop.

"The gods who nurse this universe think little of mortals' cares. They sit in crowds on exclusive clouds and laugh at our love affairs. I might have had a real romance if they'd given me a chance. I loved him, but he didn't love me. I wanted him, but he didn't want me. Then the gods had a spree and indulged in another whim. Now he loves me, but I don't love him." - Cole Porter

wexy
#46re: thoughts on SUDDENLY LAST SUMMER
Posted: 11/11/06 at 6:26pm

90 minutes . No intermession. Cast guys said they really liked that.

Chris030
#47re: thoughts on SUDDENLY LAST SUMMER
Posted: 11/12/06 at 8:58am

Thanks for sharing. Was the after party you mentioned after the play Friday night? Would you might elaborating a bit on it? If there's anything else to tell that is. lol Thanks :)

MrMidwest Profile Photo
MrMidwest
#48re: thoughts on SUDDENLY LAST SUMMER
Posted: 11/12/06 at 9:15am

Here's an article that I found from a weeks ago where Carla talks about how she feels about her role.
Carla the Wild

Calvin Profile Photo
Calvin
#49re: thoughts on SUDDENLY LAST SUMMER
Posted: 11/12/06 at 10:28am

Saw it last night, and couldn't agree more about Carla Gugino, but I thought Blythe Danner was wonderful as well. Ditto what wexy said about the stroke.

Gale Howard was pretty weak in comparison. The way he delivered his lines reminded me of someone, and I couldn't remember who until this morning: Alan Campbell on the "Sunset Boulevard" Broadway cast recording.

There also was one other weak supporting member whom I shall not name in the chance that it was an off night for him/her.

Videos