News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

THE WIZ: 2015 NBC LIVE MUSICAL- Page 22

THE WIZ: 2015 NBC LIVE MUSICAL

CarlosAlberto Profile Photo
CarlosAlberto
#525THE WIZ: 2015 NBC LIVE MUSICAL
Posted: 8/11/15 at 4:20pm

Oh okay, thanks for the clarification guys!

musicaltheatreman2
#526THE WIZ: 2015 NBC LIVE MUSICAL
Posted: 8/11/15 at 4:22pm

Sadly I dont think they could never do that watermelon moon today THE WIZ: 2015 NBC LIVE MUSICAL people are so sensitive and all about being politically correct.  I am afraid people would just get an uproar and be offended. I am black and I can find the humor in the watermelon moon, but sadly not everyone is as opened minded. 

CarlosAlberto
#527THE WIZ: 2015 NBC LIVE MUSICAL
Posted: 8/11/15 at 4:24pm

Yes, I would have to agree with you on that musicaltheatreman2.

Liza's Headband
#528THE WIZ: 2015 NBC LIVE MUSICAL
Posted: 8/11/15 at 4:25pm

Perhaps I'll get criticized for this but does anyone think there was a conscious directorial decision with having Toto be white for the production? Just noticed that...

Liza's Headband
#529THE WIZ: 2015 NBC LIVE MUSICAL
Posted: 8/11/15 at 4:25pm

Perhaps I'll get criticized for this but does anyone think there was a conscious directorial decision with having Toto be white for the production? Just noticed that...

musicaltheatreman2
#530THE WIZ: 2015 NBC LIVE MUSICAL
Posted: 8/11/15 at 4:27pm

sadly I dont think they could get away with doing that watermelon moon today THE WIZ: 2015 NBC LIVE MUSICAL people are so sensitive and politically correct about everything nowadays that I am afraid that they would not find the humor in it and raise a stink about it. I am black and i can see the humor in it,but sadly not everyone is not as openminded. 

CarlosAlberto
#531THE WIZ: 2015 NBC LIVE MUSICAL
Posted: 8/11/15 at 4:31pm

"Perhaps I'll get criticized for this but does anyone think there was a conscious directorial decision with having Toto be white for the production? Just noticed that..."

Yes Liza, it was a very conscious directorial decision. You see Toto represents the "white" race and as he is a dog he is "owned" by Dorothy who is black and is subservient to all the other black characters in the show. I am glad you caught that. Your very astute.

Updated On: 8/11/15 at 04:31 PM

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#532THE WIZ: 2015 NBC LIVE MUSICAL
Posted: 8/11/15 at 4:32pm

Yes, Glinda made her entrance on a watermelon crescent moon. Toto was white, when everyone else was black.

I don't think they could get away with that today either.

I'm not sure there was a significance to the eyes on Evilene's gown any more than the branches growing out of the witches' hairstyles, etc. Those eyes on her chest did blink once or twice and got a laugh. It was just its own strange, slightly organic universe (almost like the citizens of Oz grew from plants or other forms of nature).

I love those other photos on the archives site. Wow!

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#533THE WIZ: 2015 NBC LIVE MUSICAL
Posted: 8/11/15 at 4:35pm

I'm loving this additional shot of the Tornado Ballet, too!

Updated On: 8/11/15 at 04:35 PM

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#534THE WIZ: 2015 NBC LIVE MUSICAL
Posted: 8/11/15 at 4:37pm

So completely adorable at 16. And that voice!

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#535THE WIZ: 2015 NBC LIVE MUSICAL
Posted: 8/11/15 at 4:42pm

This is the cast I saw in the national tour. That's Annie Joe Edwards as Evilene. She played Venus (Olive's sassy maid) in the movie "Bullets Over Broadway."

And that's Lillias White in the chorus in front on the left! (You can see her better if you copy the photo into a second window and enlarge it.

And here's the Dorothy I saw (Deborah Malone) with the Yellow Brick Road. I love that the road was played by four very tall dancers who could really kill it. Wonderful concept.

Updated On: 8/11/15 at 04:42 PM

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#536THE WIZ: 2015 NBC LIVE MUSICAL
Posted: 8/11/15 at 5:31pm

Are there any pictures of the original show curtain? Or was there one?

I almost wish someone would revive this like A Chorus Line was as a kind of museum piece just so people can see what it was originally like. I would have loved to see The Wiz with those designs in person. 

musicaltheatreman2
#537THE WIZ: 2015 NBC LIVE MUSICAL
Posted: 8/11/15 at 5:54pm

Is anyone going to The Wiz concert tonight in Central Park? 

Starship
#538THE WIZ: 2015 NBC LIVE MUSICAL
Posted: 8/11/15 at 7:25pm

The original production designs truly are enchanting. I fear that the updated version we'll get this Dec will try too hard to be "funky" and "quirky" and "politically correct," in the end being a visual mess.

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#539THE WIZ: 2015 NBC LIVE MUSICAL
Posted: 8/11/15 at 7:28pm

Hopefully they'll learn from their mistakes because that's a pretty accurate description of what they did with Peter Pan.

musicaltheatreman2
#540THE WIZ: 2015 NBC LIVE MUSICAL
Posted: 8/11/15 at 7:42pm

It might just me, but after looking at all those beautiful production images of the original production of The Wiz the look of the production kinda reminded me of what the original production of what Jesus Christ Super Star looked like as far as the sets and costumes are concerned.  I am not saying that its a bad thing or that they look exactly alike, and I know they are two totally different shows, I just feel they have some similarities.  Did anyone else think this? 

Mr. Nowack Profile Photo
Mr. Nowack
#541THE WIZ: 2015 NBC LIVE MUSICAL
Posted: 8/11/15 at 10:19pm

You know the two designs really do have a similar feel. Very earthy and naturalistic and "funky" in a way only the '70s could produce.

Keeping BroadwayWorld Illustrated

oncemorewithfeeling2 Profile Photo
oncemorewithfeeling2
#543THE WIZ: 2015 NBC LIVE MUSICAL
Posted: 8/13/15 at 1:09pm

Ne-Yo: the poor man's Usher

No, in all honesty, the casting could be far worse. Common is an unexpected choice for this project, but I'm interested to see him in this part, no matter how small.

HenryTDobson Profile Photo
HenryTDobson
#544THE WIZ: 2015 NBC LIVE MUSICAL
Posted: 8/13/15 at 1:10pm

Seaweed from the Hairspray film... YES PLEASE. Elijah Kelley is an extraordinary talent. So excited to his scarecrow!

Showface
#545THE WIZ: 2015 NBC LIVE MUSICAL
Posted: 8/13/15 at 1:12pm

YES! YES! YES!

This is amazing casting all around! 

Elijah Kelley is wonderful!

And I love the casting of Common and Ne-Yo!

Updated On: 8/13/15 at 01:12 PM

Showface
#546THE WIZ: 2015 NBC LIVE MUSICAL
Posted: 8/13/15 at 1:13pm

All of the main characters have been cast at this point, right?

Liza's Headband
#547THE WIZ: 2015 NBC LIVE MUSICAL
Posted: 8/13/15 at 2:12pm

All except for Lord High Underling, who is basically Eveline's righthand man. I don't know if he will be in this version, though...  No singing. Just a decent amount of dialogue and interaction with the main characters in Act Two. 

Starship
#548THE WIZ: 2015 NBC LIVE MUSICAL
Posted: 8/13/15 at 6:20pm

A cast list for those who are new to the thread/haven't seen the updates:

Dorothy:  Shanice Williams

Scarecrow: Elijah Kelley

Tinman: Ne-Yo

The Lion: David Alan Grier

The Wiz: Queen Latifah

Evillene: Mary J. Blige

Aunt Em: Stephanie Mills

Lord High Underling: Common

Glinda: Uzo Aduba

Addaperle: Amber Riley

Updated On: 8/13/15 at 06:20 PM

Ado Annie D'Ysquith Profile Photo
Ado Annie D'Ysquith
#549THE WIZ: 2015 NBC LIVE MUSICAL
Posted: 8/13/15 at 6:22pm

Aieeeee! I think Ne-Yo has one of the best male voices in popular music. Forget DVR. I HAVE to watch this in real time! What a beautiful cast for (hopefully) a beautiful production!

So important...Lol

http://puccinischronicles.wordpress.com

Videos