News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

SOME LIKE IT HOT On Broadway - Reviews & News Thread- Page 23

SOME LIKE IT HOT On Broadway - Reviews & News Thread

sondheimfan2 Profile Photo
sondheimfan2
#550SOME LIKE IT HOT On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 11/30/22 at 1:00pm

I have to agree with what round 2 said. In addition, I saw the show two weeks ago and wasn't that impressed. The show has some elements going for it, but not enough to score a success. Although there are moments of musical comedy joy, the real problem is that it is missing heart. It's a paint-by-numbers musical without a real purpose. 

GiantsInTheSky2 Profile Photo
GiantsInTheSky2
#551SOME LIKE IT HOT On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 11/30/22 at 2:10pm

sondheimfan2 said: "Although there are moments of musical comedy joy, the real problem is that it is missing heart. It's a paint-by-numbers musical without a real purpose."

These sentences truly do not make sense. ‘Missing heart’? Did you leave after intermission and miss half of the plot?

Jarvis was wonderful as Daphne. Shaiman even gave him a shout out on Instagram for filling in with such short notice - He had a little bit more energy than JHG but overall both performers do the role justice. It’s covering the Borle role that I think we will be the bigger challenge.

I am big. It’s the REVIVALS that got small.

Jarethan
#552SOME LIKE IT HOT On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 11/30/22 at 2:20pm

round2 said: "I'm curious what the elements of SOME LIKE IT HOT that leave some people surprised it's not doing bigger business in previews? It doesn't have ticket-selling stars, the property can't be ticket-selling to current audiences (the movie is 63 years old), there's no recognizable pop music tunestack, and so on. What are the elements that would sell the show big right out of the gate?"

I also imagine that people are apprehensive after sitting through Tootsie and Mrs. Doubtfire in recent years, not to mention other movie-to-musical messes in the past few years, e.g., Pretty Woman, Mr. Saturday Night (with no star).  

The real question, given the fact that Covid still has people buying tickets less far out on the calendar than in the past, coupled with winter doldrums -- you can get great, reasonably priced seats seats for Funny Girl in January last I looked looked) -- is what is going to happen if it gets great reviews.  With no stars, will it become a smash or will people continue to only purchase seats for a relatively short lead-time?  How long will it take to build a 'hit-sized' audience, now that Covid has changed things, at least for now.  Hopefully it will get great reviews and people will lap up tickets with abandon.

hearthemsing22
#553SOME LIKE IT HOT On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 11/30/22 at 2:21pm

Jarethan said: "round2 said: "I'm curious what the elements of SOME LIKE IT HOT that leave some people surprised it's not doing bigger business in previews? It doesn't have ticket-selling stars, the property can't be ticket-selling to current audiences (the movie is 63 years old), there's no recognizable pop music tunestack, and so on. What are the elements that would sell the show big right out of the gate?"

I also imagine that people are apprehensive after sitting through Tootsie and Mrs. Doubtfire in recent years, not to mention other movie-to-musical messes in the past few years, e.g., Pretty Woman, Mr. Saturday Night (with no star).

The real question, given the fact that Covid still has people buying tickets less far out on the calendar than in the past, coupled with winter doldrums -- you can get great, reasonably priced seats seats for Funny Girl in January last I looked looked) -- is what is going to happen if it gets great reviews. With no stars, will it become a smash or will people continue to only purchase seats for a relatively short lead-time? How long will it take to build a 'hit-sized' audience, now that Covid has changed things, at least for now. Hopefully it will get great reviews and people will lap up tickets with abandon.
"

Regarding Funny Girl in January--I think yesterday I looked at some dates, and the tickets priced below $100-I think that is because Lea Michele will be out on those dates. 

Jarethan
#554SOME LIKE IT HOT On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 11/30/22 at 2:48pm

hearthemsing22 said: "Jarethan said: "round2 said: "I'm curious what the elements of SOME LIKE IT HOT that leave some people surprised it's not doing bigger business in previews? It doesn't have ticket-selling stars, the property can't be ticket-selling to current audiences (the movie is 63 years old), there's no recognizable pop music tunestack, and so on. What are the elements that would sell the show big right out of the gate?"

Regarding Funny Girl in January--I think yesterday I looked at some dates, and the tickets priced below $100-I think that is because Lea Michele will be out on those dates.
"

My point was that there are a ****-load of tickets available for performances in which she is scheduled to appear.  The cheapest tickets are available in large numbers -- $119 seeming to be the cheapest.

hearthemsing22
#555SOME LIKE IT HOT On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 11/30/22 at 4:25pm

Jarethan said: "hearthemsing22 said: "Jarethan said: "round2 said: "I'm curious what the elements of SOME LIKE IT HOT that leave some people surprised it's not doing bigger business in previews? It doesn't have ticket-selling stars, the property can't be ticket-selling to current audiences (the movie is 63 years old), there's no recognizable pop music tunestack, and so on. What are the elements that would sell the show big right out of the gate?"

"

My point was that there are a ****-load of tickets available for performances in which she is scheduled to appear. The cheapest tickets are available in large numbers -- $119 seeming to be the cheapest.

"

Yeah that's what I saw too. I think my best bet if I want to see Lea would be lottery. I'm not getting my hopes up though. 

MCW1227 Profile Photo
MCW1227
#556SOME LIKE IT HOT On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 11/30/22 at 5:19pm

This show has it all!! Didn’t go in thinking I would like it but the singing, comedy, the dancing, costumes, sets are just fabulous. Shaiman & Wittman have more than made up for CATCF and Catch Me If You Can and are back in a big way! .

Be Kind

MadsonMelo
#557SOME LIKE IT HOT On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 11/30/22 at 5:33pm

I liked this show very much, I think what Lopez and Amber did was the best they could do about the show coming to the stage, but I have to say that both the book and the score kinda made Suga a role that I couldn't actually cared, even tho Hicks' vocals were some of the most powerful that I ever listen on Broadway.

Borle is doing his thing, and its amazing, I love this man so much.

Kevin and Natasha are very good, not very nuanced, but they are milking what they can, and both performers deserves a lot of praise to what they are achieving.

The real star is J. Harrison Ghee, his Act 2 solo is a SHOWSTOPPER and I hope he gets some awards to be doing this 8x a week. He was my Lola on Broadway and I'm glad that he continues to be amazing.

I liked the score quite enough, hope gets out soon.

There's a lot of tap, and could be less, but the chasing scene is just sheer perfection, top-tier work for Nicholaw, probably the best number he has ever staged on Broadway to me.

BuddyStarr Profile Photo
BuddyStarr
#558SOME LIKE IT HOT On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/1/22 at 1:57am

Saw this for a second time tonight and it didn’t disappoint.  TDF tickets and was third row left.

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#559SOME LIKE IT HOT On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/1/22 at 6:11am

BuddyStarr said: "Saw this for a second time tonight and it didn’t disappoint. TDF tickets and was third row left."

How was Jarvis B. Manning, Jr. as Jerry/Daphne?

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

BuddyStarr Profile Photo
BuddyStarr
#560SOME LIKE IT HOT On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/1/22 at 6:43pm

ACL2006 said: "BuddyStarr said: "Saw this for a second time tonight and it didn’t disappoint. TDF tickets and was third row left."

How was Jarvis B. Manning, Jr. as Jerry/Daphne?
"

He was good. I thought he gave a different take on the character or maybe because I was so close I noticed more subtle acting choices  (I was in the Mez the first time I saw it ). Or it could be that J. Had more time to rehearse so he was more comfortable 9n the role  hard to say.  
Still a great show, all the cast is excellent and no one stands out because they all do their job superbly.   

Luscious Profile Photo
Luscious
#562SOME LIKE IT HOT On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/2/22 at 4:02pm

Saw it! Loved it! See it!!

broadwayboy118
#563SOME LIKE IT HOT On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/6/22 at 10:41am

I was wondering if anyone has done the lottery for this show recently and if they could tell me where the seats have been. I won for tomorrow night's show. 

Thanks!

labellaragazza1 Profile Photo
labellaragazza1
#564SOME LIKE IT HOT On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/6/22 at 11:32am

I won it a couple of weeks ago and it was row J in the Mezz

FANtomFollies Profile Photo
FANtomFollies
#565SOME LIKE IT HOT On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/6/22 at 2:40pm

For those that have seen the show more than once - were any significant changes made during previews?

jacobsnchz14 Profile Photo
jacobsnchz14
#566SOME LIKE IT HOT On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/7/22 at 12:25pm

“I really hope that peoples’ arms are going to relax and they’re going to see that we have taken it very seriously—and it’s also really ****ing funny.” —Marc Shaiman talks to Playbill about Some Like It Hot Musical.

https://playbill.com/article/marc-shaiman-and-scott-wittman-have-read-your-criticisms-about-broadways-some-like-it-hot

OuttaTowner
#567SOME LIKE IT HOT On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/7/22 at 12:53pm

I was a tad disappointed. Saw this last weekend. Audience response seemed polite enough but never what I’d call enthusiastic. To me, it was like a soufflé baking in the oven, but the cook keeps opening the door and deflating it. The ingredients are all there for something tasty, but it never elevates to its potential. 

The Good: Ghee (heaven’s, he’s tall) and Del Aguila. When they’re together, this pops. 

The Not So Good: The book scenes play the same beats repeatedly in act 1.  The “danger” that Jerry and Joe are running from all but disappeared in act 1 save for a brief scene before intermission and really don’t pop up again until the finale. The character of Sugar seems underwritten or perhaps just underplayed. And enough with the ballads!  Some have complained about too much tap, but for my money, there were too many torch songs for Sugar that stopped this dead in its tracks. I found most of the costumes to be oddly unflattering (I know - some are SUPPOSED to be). And I guess Borle is an acquired taste. I loved him in Peter and the Starcatcher, and less so in most of his subsequent stage appearances - his penchant for broad mugging goes unchecked by most directors (I cringed at it in Little Shop), and Nicholaw hasn’t stopped him here. 

Anyway FWIW, I was so hoping to love this, but came away merely mildly entertained. Curious to see where the critics will land on it. 

KitKatBoy24 Profile Photo
KitKatBoy24
#568SOME LIKE IT HOT On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/7/22 at 2:01pm

Selling a lotto ticket for tonight’s 8:00 show. $45 side Mezz row J. Message me if you’re interested! 

"In here, life is beautiful"

christinelavin
#569SOME LIKE IT HOT On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/8/22 at 1:47pm

It's official -- last night I met on the ticket holders' line two men from Delaware who, like me, are "Some Like It Hot" Heads.  Yup, we now have a name.  I was there to see it for the 12th time -- they were there to see it for their 9th time.  And they live in Delaware -- so it means every time they come to NYC to see it they incur travel and hotel expenses -- but they don't care because they love the show that much.

We compared notes as to the many changes made since that first preview -- and we compared notes afterwards, since there were so many changes since they last saw it.  

So we now have a name -- we are proudly Some Like It Hot Heads, and if you are, too, maybe I'll see you there tonight.  I'm taking a friend from Boston (who is on a train as I type) who has never been to a Broadway show in his life. We will be in the last row of the orchestra, right smack dab in front of the soundboard. We'll both be wearing masks -- not to hide our identity, but to stay safe in the crowd.  

The two guys from Delaware will also be in the audience. Can't wait to say hi to them. 

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#570SOME LIKE IT HOT On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/8/22 at 1:57pm

christinelavin said: "It's official -- last night I met on the ticket holders' line two men from Delaware who, like me, are "Some Like It Hot" Heads. Yup, we now have a name. I was there to see it for the 12th time -- they were there to see it for their 9th time. And they live in Delaware -- so it means every time they come to NYC to see it they incur travel and hotel expenses -- but they don't care because they love the show that much.

We compared notes as to the many changes made since that first preview -- and we compared notes afterwards, since there were so many changes since they last saw it.

So we now have a name -- we are proudly Some Like It Hot Heads, and if you are, too, maybe I'll see you there tonight. I'm taking a friend from Boston (who is on a train as I type) who has never been to a Broadway show in his life. We will be in the last row of the orchestra, right smack dab in front of the soundboard. We'll both be wearing masks -- not to hide our identity, but to stay safe in the crowd.

The two guys from Delaware will also be in the audience. Can't wait to say hi to them.
"

Must be nice to be in the 1% to travel up, hotel, price of the ticket that many times. And the show has only been running, what, two months? Good for you all for enjoying it so much. 

christinelavin
#571SOME LIKE IT HOT On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/8/22 at 2:09pm

RippedMan said: "christinelavin said: "It's official -- last night I met on the ticket holders' line two men from Delaware who, like me, are "Some Like It Hot" Heads. Yup, we now have a name. I was there to see it for the 12th time -- they were there to see it for their 9th time. And they live in Delaware -- so it means every time they come to NYC to see it they incur travel and hotel expenses -- but they don't care because they love the show that much.

So we now have a name -- we are proudly Some Like It Hot Heads, and if you are, too, maybe I'll see you there tonight. I'm taking a friend from Boston (who is on a train as I type) who has never been to a Broadway show in his life. We will be in the last row of the orchestra, right smack dab in front of the soundboard. We'll both be wearing masks -- not to hide our identity, but to stay safe in the crowd.

"

Must be nice to be in the 1% to travel up, hotel, price of the ticket that many times. And the show has only been running, what, two months? Good for you all for enjoying it so much.
"

Four words:  Rush tickets. Credit cards. 

Bill Snibson Profile Photo
Bill Snibson
#572SOME LIKE IT HOT On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/8/22 at 2:12pm

Don't be bitter because someone has the means to enjoy something they really like.  "Compare and despair" will crush you if you live by this model.  Broadway needs people like this to keep it afloat. Live your life and let others live theirs. 

Lola Getz2 Profile Photo
Lola Getz2
#573SOME LIKE IT HOT On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/8/22 at 5:10pm

christinelavin said: "So we now have a name -- we are proudly Some Like It Hot Heads,"

Sorry, we have already dubbed ourselves: Hot Heads! LOL

JSquared2
#574SOME LIKE IT HOT On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/8/22 at 6:17pm

RippedMan said: "Must be nice to be in the 1% to travel up, hotel, price of the ticket that many times. And the show has only been running, what, two months? Good for you all for enjoying it so much."

Bitter -- Party of 1?  Your "to go" bag is ready!!!

Videos