News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

The Official TONY Random Comments Thread.- Page 23

The Official TONY Random Comments Thread.

Rotel1026
#550re: The Official TONY Random Comments Thread.
Posted: 6/11/07 at 12:08am

Michael Mayer's speech was "heinous" so not sure what he was talking about, and explaining it over on Playbill.com didn't make it not heinous.

As for Raul not winning, I figured my best chance at seeing the show when I'm in NYC in July was for Company to win best revival and best actor, hopefully one out of two is good enough. And what happened to Doyle getting it as a way to make up for being snubbed last year? Maybe he'll get it for the next one?

And someone said Idina didn't look like she wanted to be there, did you happen to notice Claire Danes?

And there are some good looking men on the stage, Liev just makes me sick he's so good looking. And Boyd Gaines, very handsome. Not to mention Patrick Wilson and Harry Connick, but still Liev is just so good looking it makes me sick, it's not fair.

And was that Raul's wife sitting next to him? Didn't they split and he start dating a man according to his interview with the Times (I think?) back when Company was just in previews?

HeyMrMusic Profile Photo
HeyMrMusic
#551re: The Official TONY Random Comments Thread.
Posted: 6/11/07 at 12:10am

According to Broadway.com, Reidel predicted Raul to win.

~Steven

HeyMrMusic Profile Photo
HeyMrMusic
#552re: The Official TONY Random Comments Thread.
Posted: 6/11/07 at 12:11am

Rotel, John Doyle won for Best Direction of a Musical last year.

~Steven

Theatreboy49 Profile Photo
Theatreboy49
#553re: The Official TONY Random Comments Thread.
Posted: 6/11/07 at 12:13am

I would think that was his wife Rotel. And am i have to ask am I the only one who is so happy for SA. People seem to just be bashing it and praise it every other day. It is so good and im so happy for the cast. I also forgot to say that audra made me want to go buy the 110 cd.

<------ Me and my friends with patti Lupone at my friends afterparty for her concert with audra mcdonald during the summer of 2007.
"I am sorry but it is an unjust world and virtue is only triumphant in theatricle performances" The Mikado

misschung
#554re: The Official TONY Random Comments Thread.
Posted: 6/11/07 at 12:15am

I really liked Mayer's speech for Spring Awakening.

The morning star always gets wonderful bright the minute before it has to go --doesn't it?

muscle23ftl Profile Photo
muscle23ftl
#555re: The Official TONY Random Comments Thread.
Posted: 6/11/07 at 1:00am

I miss Julie Andrews!

"People have their opinions and that doesn't mean that their opinions are wrong or right. I just take it with a grain of salt because opinions are like as*holes, everyone has one". -Felicia Finley-

SondheimFan2
#556re: The Official TONY Random Comments Thread.
Posted: 6/11/07 at 1:06am

everyone keeps talking about how "idina menzel's face was priceless"..is that just cause she looked so bored?

Becoz_i_knew_you21 Profile Photo
Becoz_i_knew_you21
#557re: The Official TONY Random Comments Thread.
Posted: 6/11/07 at 1:20am

I must say, I knew Spring Awakening would win all it did tonight since the show opened. It's amazing to me that a show that people said wouldn't last until the Tony's has won Best Musical. I had a break down when Gallagher won. I also had an attack when Sater gave a Guilty Ones shout out. I was thinking "I mod there, that's me!" I know that sound incredibly nerdy but, I just had to get all that out.

raphael06 Profile Photo
raphael06
#558re: The Official TONY Random Comments Thread.
Posted: 6/11/07 at 1:42am

The Spring Awakening performance was such a let down.

Fantasia suprised the hell out of me and gave the best performance of the night! IMO

People need to learn how to read teleprompters.

If Raul could control his vibrato he would be so much more incredible.

"I chose and my world was shaken. So what? The choice may have been mistaken. The choosing was not."-Sunday in the Park with George

broadwaybaby086
#559re: The Official TONY Random Comments Thread.
Posted: 6/11/07 at 2:08am

HAHA, jennyish. I was thinking the same thing about the mothers. Damn you, Douglas Carter Beane for permanently emblazoning that thought in my head.

Totally F*CKed was about the same speed it is onstage, which is much faster than on the CR.

Raúl looked devastated. Double-blink, jaw-clench, clap. So sad.

I love Grey Gardens and Christine and even I felt the performance was lacking. She was audibly hoarse; I was praying she'd make it through the song. It was rough, especially with the early entrance on "staunch." But we can't be perfect all of the time!

Even DHP predicted Raúl would take it; I'm fairly sure I read that somewhere, but his face when they announced his name and subsequent "ode" to Raúl made that clear. Shocked, and disappointed for the latter, but happy for Pierce.

Had a great time tonight at two Tony parties!

"I'll cut you, Tracee Beazer!!!! ...Just kidding. I'd never cut anyone." -Tina Maddigan, 9/30/06, WS stage door
Avatar: JULIE "EFFING" WHITE, 2007 TONY WINNER. Thank God. I'm thinking about legally changing my name to Lizzie Curry...

ahmelie Profile Photo
ahmelie
#560re: The Official TONY Random Comments Thread.
Posted: 6/11/07 at 2:37am

This is totally random, but I just realized that it was 15 years ago tonight that that Sondheim: Celebration at Carnegie Hall thing happened.

I'm convinced I was concieved sometime during that.
Christ, I'm ridiculous.

Theatre is a safe place to do the unsafe things that need to be done. -John Patrick Shanley

PARISinNYC Profile Photo
PARISinNYC
#561re: The Official TONY Random Comments Thread.
Posted: 6/11/07 at 4:44am

I just finished re-reading this entire thread. Seriously! BWWers REALLY seem to hate Spring Awakening? Why are you so against it? I understand we can't have classics like Mame, West Side Story, Kiss Me Kate anymore but this is new Broadway. What do you expect? There's just going to be a lot more modern musicals. So you're all comparing Avenue Q, A BEST MUSICAL WINNER, to West Side Story? Are you comparing Hairspray, A BEST MUSICAL WINNER, to My Fair Lady? Okay, yeah the medley was a terrible representation of the show but could you honestly look past those songs they picked and look at something like "Touch Me"? "Mirror Blue Night"? Or even "Those You've Known"? I know I'm young and I'm gonna be completely bashed for saying all this with stuff like "you have no idea what you're talking about silly little child" but I just have seen so much hate in this one thread alone. I think I see like three positive Spring Awakening comments in this entire 26 page or whatever thread. I'm amazed.

Again, I don't agree with your opinions on the choreography at all. PLEASE stop looking at it LITERALLY. It all has a FIGURATIVE interpretation. The choreography that appears throughout the entire show, the movements during "Touch Me", are very carefully crafted.

First day of rehearsals Bill T. Jones asked Lea Michele, "what would you do if you were looking at yourself naked in a mirror?" She covered her eyes. That's the first step in the movements. It's not just random. There's a reason for each motion. Bill T. Jones is an amazing dancer, and finally stepping into musical theatre is a great move for him. I'm hoping he sticks to theatre and does some more amazing work for us. When it comes to the "jumping around", notice how it's in the rock numbers. When the music explodes, so do the character's inner selves. Do you honestly remember being a teenager and just feeling so STRESSED OUT that you just want to scream your head off or just flip out? Yeah, seems familiar, doesn't it?

Oh, and don't judge the score based on something like "Totally F'd". Sheik & Sater have some haunting melodies. "Left Behind" is so emotionally draining. I don't think it's fair you're judging based on the fact that they're trying to sell tickets to TEENAGERS so DUH when they advertise they will advertise the ROCK stuff that TEENAGERS want to SEE.

PARISinNYC was banned from BWW three days later. I can see it now.

muscle23ftl
#562re: The Official TONY Random Comments Thread.
Posted: 6/11/07 at 6:44am

I think Spring Awakening deserved the Tony a 100%
and their performance was fantastic!

Im very happy with all the Awards given, I was hoping for A Chorus Line to win best revival, but I haven't seen Company, so who knows? Congrats to all the Tony winners!

Congrats for the nomination Charlotte!

And I don't know about you guys, but here, while watching the Tonys, the comment was, Felicity Huffman should have worn contacts!

"People have their opinions and that doesn't mean that their opinions are wrong or right. I just take it with a grain of salt because opinions are like as*holes, everyone has one". -Felicia Finley-

muscle23ftl
#563re: The Official TONY Random Comments Thread.
Posted: 6/11/07 at 6:48am

I absolutely loved Spring Awakening performance, and the girls singing "Mama Who Bore Me" were amazing!
Great medley, I wish Grey Gardens would have done the same thing, or at least if Christine could have sang a part of "Another Winter" at least to show her real singing voice for a little bit. She doesn't showcase her voice with the song she performed...

Dirty_Rotten_Guy Profile Photo
Dirty_Rotten_Guy
#564re: The Official TONY Random Comments Thread.
Posted: 6/11/07 at 7:59am

Wow, so Spring Awakening walked home with 8 Tonys
Though I may not be a big fan of the show, I am really proud of the cast and creative team because they all really deserve it

My 2007/2008 Season: Grey Gardens (7/5) 110 in the Shade (7/6) Mary Poppins (7/7) Xanadu (7/7) Deuce (7/8) Spamalot (7/8) Jersey Boys (8/25) The Year of Magical Thinking (8/25) Mauritius (11/2) Young Frankenstein (11/3) Rock 'N' Roll (11/3) Pygmalion (11/4) Mauritius (11/10) Mauritius (11/21) Mauritius (11/21) Sunday in the Park with George (3/6) South Pacific (3/7) Gypsy (3/8) Cat on a Hot Tin Roof (3/9)

karen24 Profile Photo
karen24
#565re: The Official TONY Random Comments Thread.
Posted: 6/11/07 at 8:32am

I actually thought that as awards shows go, looking at it as objectively as I can, this one was really pretty good television. It moved along quickly (except for a few speeches that dragged on a bit too long), there was a lot of music, lots of nice shots of Broadway marquees (making NYC's theater district look enticing), and not too many horribly awkward, scripted speeches by the presenters. I didn't even really miss an official "host".
In terms of the awards, my sons and I were really shocked and disappointed that Raul didn't win, but if someone had to win over him, I'm glad it was DHP. I kind of resent the comment made earlier on this thread that DHP somehow used "business" or "connections" to get the vote. I'm sure that he did what any actor or actress in his situation would have done, which is to go out and do publicity for the benefit of his show--I'm sure Raul did the same. But to imply that DHP somehow engineered his win in an underhanded way is, I think, insulting to an actor who has always been gracious to all of his fellow actors, put his show before himself, and worked hard for his craft for a good number of years. I honestly can't say if I think he deserved the win over Raul, but I do think he deserved to win, if that makes sense.
And I will just add that after the upset with DHP, we were holding our breaths until we heard Christine's name read out!

Maggie-the-schnoodle

muscle23ftl
#566re: The Official TONY Random Comments Thread.
Posted: 6/11/07 at 11:04am

I agree Karen, the Tonys were very entertaining and moved quickly.

I don't think David Hyde Pierce used any conections to win that award, I think he is a brilliant, charismatic actor who chooses bad shows to star in. Although Spamalot won a Tony for best musical, still don't know why.

Updated On: 6/11/07 at 11:04 AM

BustopherPhantom Profile Photo
BustopherPhantom
#567re: The Official TONY Random Comments Thread.
Posted: 6/11/07 at 12:27pm

My Random Comments on the Tony Awards:

STEVE SATER WINNING FOR "BEST BOOK":
OH, COME ON! How stupid...

MARY LOUISE WILSON FOR "GREY GARDENS"
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! I agree.

I can't believe she had the balls to say "I don't believe I didn't deserve this".

BILL T. JONES WINNING "BEST CHOREOGRAPHY"
This man has brought new meaning to the phrase "victory walk". And it was awesome!

DAVID HYDE PIERCE WINNING OVER RAUL ESPARZA IN "BEST LEADING ACTOR IN A MUSICAL":
Last night, when I saw Steven Sater win the Best Book award over someone like Doug Wright or Rupert Holmes, I yelled at the TV and pretty much raged for a couple of seconds.

But when David Hyde won the award over Raul, I... just... groaned...

I saw it coming, unfortunately - I didn't want to believe it, and yet I knew it would happen.

It was all because they didn't give the Book award to Rupert Holmes; the one award that could have gone to them and it wouldn't have felt like a snub. But they didn't, and now they were stuck in the situation where they had to snub Raul just to give "the very LAST Kander and Ebb show EVER" an award SOMEHOW.

How freakin' disappointing.

Well, I guess this'll be a smack in the face to anyone who tries, in the future, to say that someone or something is a sure thing. "Well, remember Raul?"

*I'm sure I'll think of more later.

"Y'know, I think Bertolt Brecht was rolling in his grave."
-Nellie McKay on the 2006 Broadway production of The Threepenny Opera, in which she played Polly Peachum

Flaunt It
#568re: The Official TONY Random Comments Thread.
Posted: 6/13/07 at 7:15pm

Albin says: "only Tommy Tune has a bigger vibrato than Raul."

And 9 more tonys than him!

muscle23ftl
#569re: The Official TONY Random Comments Thread.
Posted: 6/13/07 at 9:46pm

"I can't believe she had the balls to say 'I don't believe I didn't deserve this"

I didn't like that comment, Mary Louise Wilson lacks humility.
Not saying she doesn't deserve the award, since I found her to be brilliant in the show.
Although I must add that the real character that she played hit higher notes, and was a better singer, I think. That can be seen on the documentary.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#570re: The Official TONY Random Comments Thread.
Posted: 6/13/07 at 10:01pm

When you're that age and haven't won a Tony yet, you can say whatever the hell you want. Especially when you're giving one of the most unbelievable featured performances in years.

She is TRULY a masterclass. Just like Christine says. Her acting ability is simply astonishing.
Updated On: 6/13/07 at 10:01 PM

Mattbrain
#571re: The Official TONY Random Comments Thread.
Posted: 6/13/07 at 10:07pm

Theatreboy, you're not alone. I couldn't be happier for Spring Awakening's win. It is, in my book, an experience not to be missed.

Butters, go buy World of Warcraft, install it on your computer, and join the online sensation before we all murder you. --Cartman: South Park ATTENTION FANS: I will be played by James Barbour in the upcoming musical, "BroadwayWorld: The Musical."

bwaygal1 Profile Photo
bwaygal1
#572re: The Official TONY Random Comments Thread.
Posted: 6/13/07 at 10:34pm

When you're that age and haven't won a Tony yet, you can say whatever the hell you want. Especially when you're giving one of the most unbelievable featured performances in years.

Hell yeah! She'd been screwed over so many times, too.
Very talented lady. And by the way, she does a fine job with her singing material.
She isn't really Edith. But, she does a damn fine job of channeling her in a similar way as Christine Ebersole channels Edie.

"A birdcage I plan to hang. I'll get to that someday. A birdcage for a bird who flew away...Around the world." "Life is a cabaret old chum, only a cabaret old chum, and I love a cabaret!"-RIP Natasha Richardson-I was honored to have witnessed her performance as Sally Bowles.

Videos