News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

HELLO, DOLLY! Previews

vegas2
#700HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 4/16/17 at 7:58pm

I have only seen Midler perform a few times, and never in the "Divine" persona, nor have I seen any other production of Dolly.  But when I saw this production about 10 days ago it seemed to me that Midler was very much playing the Dolly character throughout.  There weren't any flubs in the performance I saw, and I don't think there were any adlibs.  Midler created a plausible character, and showed some fine comic chops. She play-acted at being worn out a few times, but she did so as Dolly, and Midler herself most definitely was not worn out, as she continued to perform energetically for the remainder of the show.   She seemed thoroughly professional and dedicated to performing the show as written.

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#701HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 4/16/17 at 8:08pm

Um, if you've seen Bette Midler in concert, you've seen The Divine Miss M persona.  That's who she is in performance AND she acknowledges it during every opening number and throughout.  She generally just calls herself "The Divine."

Auggie27 Profile Photo
Auggie27
#702HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 4/16/17 at 8:19pm

Saw Jane Morgan at the Shady Grove Music Fair. Whether she copied Channing or not, she was not much of an actor, and certainly not a comedienne. a "Dolly" without a Dolly who's reason to see the show just doesn't work. People complaining that Bette is too much Bette in the role -- or some version of that critique -- seem to forget the very reason she is ideal: she's bigger than life, and capable of giving a performance that's a centerpiece.  If you don't have that synergy -- that alchemy -- of actor and role, why do "Dolly?"  It has nothing to do with the charms of the piece, but everything to do with a musical comedy built around a star. 

"I'm a comedian, but in my spare time, things bother me." Garry Shandling

SmokeyLady Profile Photo
SmokeyLady
#703HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 4/16/17 at 8:37pm

Auggie27 said: "Saw Jane Morgan at the Shady Grove Music Fair. Whether she copied Channing or not, she was not much of an actor, and certainly not a comedienne. a "Dolly" without a Dolly who's reason to see the show just doesn't work. People complaining that Bette is too much Bette in the role -- or some version of that critique -- seem to forget the very reason she is ideal: she's bigger than life, and capable of giving a performance that's a centerpiece.  If you don't have that synergy -- that alchemy -- of actor and role, why do "Dolly?"  It has nothing to do with the charms of the piece, but everything to do with a musical comedy built around a star. 

"

There are people complaining?   Probably sourpusses that can't get a ticket. 

carnzee
#704HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 4/16/17 at 8:53pm

"

There are people complaining?   Probably sourpusses that can't get a ticket. 

Pretty much. The complaints about Bette doing Bette and not Dolly mostly seem to come from folks who haven't seen it and are reacting to reports from those that have. Those who have seen her usually say she is playing Dolly, as well as delivering the "Divine "  persona. I mean, it doesn't have to be either or. If you watch a Bette Davis movie, for example, Davis is always Davis, but also Regina Giddens, Baby Jane, Queen Elizabeth, etc. 

MrsSallyAdams Profile Photo
MrsSallyAdams
#705HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 4/16/17 at 9:12pm

If folks want to see a naturalistic Dolly they are better off watching "The Matchmaker." I adore Shirley Booth's work in the 1958 film but the script was pared down. Dolly is offstage for a lot of the play and it can be a slog if Malachi, Aunt Flora and the other forgotten supporting roles aren't played with zest. Kristine Neilsen couldn't save the dull 2016 production at the Goodman despite a charmingly understated performance. 

threepanelmusicals.blogspot.com

vegas2
#706HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 4/16/17 at 10:50pm

BrodyFosse123, 

Regarding your "Um":

I have not seen Midler in concert.  So I stand by my statement that I have not seen the "Divine" persona. I have always seen her play characters.  And that is what she is doing here.

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#707HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 4/17/17 at 5:40am

vegas2 said: "I have not seen Midler in concert.  So I stand by my statement that I have not seen the "Divine" persona. I have always seen her play characters.  And that is what she is doing here."

Well, yes, but if you haven't seen one of the things being compared, you can't really say whether it is a unique character or that same character being brought into Dolly...

poisonivy2 Profile Photo
poisonivy2
#708HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 4/17/17 at 6:14am

Here's a clip of her in the Divine persona:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bK7l_JWu50

DAME Profile Photo
DAME
#709HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 4/17/17 at 11:20am

vegas2 said: "BrodyFosse123, 

Regarding your "Um":

I have not seen Midler in concert.  So I stand by my statement that I have not seen the "Divine" persona. I have always seen her play characters.  And that is what she is doing here.

"

I am confused.  In your fist statement you said you had seen her perform before. She has only done one play recently and the rest is concerts.  So if not in concert.. what were you referring too?

HUSSY POWER! ------ HUSSY POWER!

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#710HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 4/17/17 at 11:20am

Here's another performance clip of La Midler in her Divine Miss M persona.  This one is of an older Bette and the one most recognize today.  She sings, dances a bit and speaks to the audience.  This somewhat represents (alas here she is a bit stronger) what she brings slightly to her Dolly Levi.  

https://youtu.be/A_Sb7PpLoS0

CT2NYC Profile Photo
CT2NYC
#711HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 4/17/17 at 11:47am

Add me to the list of people who thought she did a great job of staying in character as Dolly. As someone who knows her work mainly from movies and TV, I was expecting her to be more Bette Midler-ish, for lack of a better term, than she was. Of course she brings her distinctive voice and certain mannerisms to the role, but I thought it was surprisingly restrained.

Updated On: 4/17/17 at 11:47 AM

Jimmyb1969
#712HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 4/17/17 at 12:33pm

Just saw the show for the third time this weekend and it just keeps getting better and better. I loved it on opening night of previews and it has now gotten so tight and the humor and nuance in the performances is excellent. Bette really gets me when she talks to Efrim outside the store. And vocally Bette is using her upper range more which only makes her stellar performance that much richer. David Hyde Pierce is outstanding and Kate Baldwin has kicked the feistiness up a notch really evolving her performance. And the Harmonia Garden Waiters dance is so much tighter and frankly thrilling! This is a must see, joyous, makes ya grin ear-to-ear show! 

vegas2
#713HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 4/17/17 at 1:57pm

I did not say I had seen Midler perform live.  I have seen much of her film and television work, where, in my opinion, she has performed a wide variety of characters quite well.  I had forgotten, also, that I had heard a recording of at least part of a concert performance many decades ago, so perhaps I have heard the persona even if I haven't seen it.

Nonetheless, I don't think one needs to see an actress perform in her own persona in order to judge whether she is performing in-character in a play or musical.  Most actors rarely perform in their own personas, yet we have no difficulty judging whether they are in character.  One can judge an in-character performance by assessing whether the performer's tone and style are consistent with the script, the time period, and the performances of those surrounding them, and whether they are reaching for laughs or audience responses in a way that takes us out of the unfolding story. A serious and talented actor or actress has no need to do this unless the script itself is dreadful.  Hello Dolly may be a bit creaky, but I wouldn't call it dreadful.  So it seems to me that Midler is working the role exactly as she should.

But go see the show and judge for yourself.  So far, those who have seen it seem to agree that Midler is being respectful of the character and the show.  Dolly's character breaks the fourth wall, so Midler must do so as well.  She does so very selectively, and shows a lot of restraint.  I think she is taking her job very seriously.

RagtimeRay
#714HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 4/17/17 at 2:41pm

I saw Betsy Palmer at Music Carnival in the suburbs of Cleveland, OH. It was a large tent for theatre in the round productions. I hadn't remembered that particular staging of the Sunday Clothes number, so it's possible it was stage similar to your memory. I just recall enjoying the production, because at that point in time I'd already seen the Broadway production a number of times.

Ray is the author of the Brad Frame mystery series, and two suspense novels. He is also the author of a one man play based on Ben Franklin. http://www.rayflynt.com

CT2NYC Profile Photo
CT2NYC
#715HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 4/17/17 at 3:53pm

During the performance I saw, when Kate Baldwin made her first entrance behind Beanie Feldstein, there was some applause in the audience. After it subsided, Beanie took the opportunity to slip in a very humorous "Thank you!", as if they had been clapping for her. Has this happened at any other performance? I'm assuming that the cast has a certain amount of leeway with regard to ad libbing, in order to deal with what I can imagine will be very enthusiastic crowds throughout Ms. Midler's run.

Updated On: 4/17/17 at 03:53 PM

binau Profile Photo
binau
#716HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 4/17/17 at 4:41pm

That happened on Saturday night...not sure if that was the same performance. 

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#717HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 4/17/17 at 4:55pm

She also did that two weeks ago. 

CT2NYC Profile Photo
CT2NYC
#718HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 4/17/17 at 5:06pm

I figured as much. In any event, I thought it worked well, and she gave me quite a few laugh-out-loud moments.

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#719HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 4/17/17 at 10:52pm

CT2NYC said: "During the performance I saw, when Kate Baldwin made her first entrance behind Beanie Feldstein, there was some applause in the audience. After it subsided, Beanie took the opportunity to slip in a very humorous "Thank you!", as if they had been clapping for her. Has this happened at any other performance? I'm assuming that the cast has a certain amount of leeway with regard to ad libbing, in order to deal with what I can imagine will be very enthusiastic crowds throughout Ms. Midler's run.

She did that when we saw it as well on the 12th!

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

CT2NYC Profile Photo
CT2NYC
#720HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 4/17/17 at 10:56pm

Robbie2 said: "CT2NYC said: "During the performance I saw, when Kate Baldwin made her first entrance behind Beanie Feldstein, there was some applause in the audience. After it subsided, Beanie took the opportunity to slip in a very humorous "Thank you!", as if they had been clapping for her. Has this happened at any other performance? I'm assuming that the cast has a certain amount of leeway with regard to ad libbing, in order to deal with what I can imagine will be very enthusiastic crowds throughout Ms. Midler's run.

She did that when we saw it as well on the 12th!

Actually, that's when I saw the show, the 12th at 8:00p.

Trish2
#721HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 4/17/17 at 11:12pm

Looking forward to seeing the show on the last preview performance!

Just curious--is there a Wednesday matinee this week?

CT2NYC Profile Photo
CT2NYC
#722HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 4/17/17 at 11:16pm

Trish2 said: "Looking forward to seeing the show on the last preview performance!

Just curious--is there a Wednesday matinee this week?

No, not this week.

Musical Master Profile Photo
Musical Master
#723HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 4/17/17 at 11:28pm

I noticed that the online ads are starting to use Ben Brantley quotes early. Has that ever happened before for the other shows using review quotes early before the show opens?

Ortensiah
#724HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 4/19/17 at 12:01am

I was there tonight and Beanie Feldstein did the hilarious "thank you!" ad-lib again. And I've got to say I was blown away by the show. I splurged on a ticket basically knowing nothing but that the song from Wall-E was in it, and boy was it worth it!

Videos