News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

WAR PAINT Previews

broadwayboy223
#50WAR PAINT Previews
Posted: 3/7/17 at 8:24pm

I saw the show in Chicago as well and LOVED IT. Was it perfect? No. But I think for a new musical I've seen far worse shows. Patti and Christine gave incredible performances. And the score has lots of standouts to me: Pink, Back on Top, Face To Face, If I Were A Man, Fire and Ice, Now You Know, A Women's Face etc. I think if they can tighten and pull together the themes I know they are going for, it could really be a special show. 

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#51WAR PAINT Previews
Posted: 3/7/17 at 8:58pm

Episode 4: Pucker Up: Backstage at WAR PAINT with Steffanie Leigh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aiGiN6DS_yQ

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#52WAR PAINT Previews
Posted: 3/7/17 at 10:00pm

From photos on Instagram. The new pre show curtain is incredible.

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#53WAR PAINT Previews
Posted: 3/7/17 at 10:20pm

Call_me_jorge said: "From photos on Instagram. The new pre show curtain is incredible.

Here ~ David KorinsWAR PAINT Previews

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

LimelightMike Profile Photo
LimelightMike
#54WAR PAINT Previews
Posted: 3/7/17 at 10:56pm

Chompin' at the bit for some reviews from tonight's first preview! Guys, c'mon!

Updated On: 3/7/17 at 10:56 PM

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#55WAR PAINT Previews
Posted: 3/7/17 at 11:01pm

LimelightMike said: "Chompin' at the bit for some reviews from tonight's first preview! Guys, c'mon!

According to someone in this thread, the invited dress ran 3 hours, so it's possible the show is just now letting out!

Updated On: 3/7/17 at 11:01 PM

QueenAlice Profile Photo
QueenAlice
#56WAR PAINT Previews
Posted: 3/7/17 at 11:20pm

Saw this tonight. The two women are wonderful. There are some nice frocks. But I thought the rest of the show was fairly terrible. The score felt like something you would hear from a NYMF production, and while  the characters and the rivalry are unto  themselves somewhat interesting, they have not found a unique or creative device to make it all an exciting subject for musical. The show is also way too long-- the ex husband / advertising manager roles should have been reduced-  they had the two worst songs of the night which could easily be cut. I don't see this running past summer. 

“I knew who I was this morning, but I've changed a few times since then.”

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#57WAR PAINT Previews
Posted: 3/7/17 at 11:23pm

Sounds like they changed zilch from Chicago. 

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

VotePeron Profile Photo
VotePeron
#58WAR PAINT Previews
Posted: 3/7/17 at 11:23pm

Yikes. The Nederlander claims its latest victim.

This was one of the most excruciating nights at the theatre i’ve had in a while. It’s ridiculously dull, the direction is lifeless, and the book/music is unbelievably mediocre. Every song sounded the exact same as the last, and I couldn’t wait for it to end. 

I was really underwhelmed with every performance, and can honestly imagine neither ladies getting a Tony nom - if one of them do, it’ll be Patti, who has the juicier role, but is unintelligible with the accent, mixed with the sound design.

I went in with no knowledge of the show, and can’t believe how disappointed I am in the result. 

QueenAlice Profile Photo
QueenAlice
#59WAR PAINT Previews
Posted: 3/7/17 at 11:41pm

I also predict a very possible Tony snub for both women. Way too many other strong contenders this season to give courtesy noms here. 

WhizzerMarvin Profile Photo
WhizzerMarvin
#60WAR PAINT Previews
Posted: 3/7/17 at 11:44pm

I'm just getting home from tonight's previous and I thought it was a pretty glorious evening. Patti and Christine were on fire! On fire, I tell ya! Patti's voice is in such peak condition that she could sing eight War Paint performances a week on top of eight Evita performances. Christine is in equally resplendent voice and Face to Face (the act one closer) has been playing on a loop since I heard it. 

I loved the show in Chicago and I still love it now. They made some changes, including the cutting the original opening, 85-90% of the show arrived intact. 

I score is terrific. The melodies are tuneful and catchy; it's beyond refreshing to hear such intelligent lyrics too. I appreciated the book even more than I did in Chicago. There are so many nice little scenes that convey so much with so very little. 

But, this is a double star vehicle and that's what this evening is all about. Yes they are exploring themes about feminism and beauty- these two women were CEOs and power players long before it was socially acceptable to be so, and yet they created beauty products that could be considered decidedly anti-feminist. And yet, everything else about the evening is insignificant when you get to engage in such rarefied diva worship as you are able to in War Paint. I plan on seeing this many, many times. 

Marie: Don't be in such a hurry about that pretty little chippy in Frisco. Tony: Eh, she's a no chip!

QueenAlice Profile Photo
QueenAlice
#61WAR PAINT Previews
Posted: 3/7/17 at 11:48pm

Oh god how I WISH this had been Patti just singing the songs of Evita...

The problem is there isn't enough opportunity for diva worship. Would've been a lot more fun if they had just gone totally fictional and let the women have real face to face interaction (even if it were in fantasy) instead of that weird and tepid last scene.

Trish2
#62WAR PAINT Previews
Posted: 3/7/17 at 11:49pm

Yikes, who to trust? I usually go with the wonderful Whizzard, but......

wagon.wheel.watusi
#63WAR PAINT Previews
Posted: 3/7/17 at 11:56pm

Could you tell us more about the changes? How was the opening changed from Chicago?

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#64WAR PAINT Previews
Posted: 3/7/17 at 11:58pm

I knew nothing about the show, only that it had something to do about cosmetics. I found the story very interesting and actually enjoyed many of the musical moments. Not my favorite show I have seen recently, but still incredibly enjoyable. What made the evening were the performances of Patti and Christine. The libretto offers magical one-liners and zingers and musical ka-pow!'s which Patti and Christine milk appropriately. Patti especially shines. The costumes are stunningly gorgeous. I was surprised by this one, since the feedback from Chicago was mixed to negative. A pleasant surprise!

"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle

gleek4114 Profile Photo
gleek4114
#65WAR PAINT Previews
Posted: 3/8/17 at 12:10am

It's super fascinating to me to hear the differing opinions. I also saw the show in Chicago and I loved it (I saw the 2nd preview, so with changes I'd bet I love it more now). I do wonder if this show will be another one that's pretty polarizing. I look forward to hearing other POVs throughout the preview period and run. 

broadwayboy223
#66WAR PAINT Previews
Posted: 3/8/17 at 12:12am

WhizzerMarvin said: "I'm just getting home from tonight's previous and I thought it was a pretty glorious evening. Patti and Christine were on fire! On fire, I tell ya! Patti's voice is in such peak condition that she could sing eight War Paint performances a week on top of eight Evita performances. Christine is in equally resplendent voice and Face to Face (the act one closer) has been playing on a loop since I heard it. 

I loved the show in Chicago and I still love it now. They made some changes, including the cutting the original opening, 85-90% of the show arrived intact. 

I score is terrific. The melodies are tuneful and catchy; it's beyond refreshing to hear such intelligent lyrics too. I appreciated the book even more than I did in Chicago. There are so many nice little scenes that convey so much with so very little. 

But, this is a double star vehicle and that's what this evening is all about. Yes they are exploring themes about feminism and beauty- these two women were CEOs and power players long before it was socially acceptable to be so, and yet they created beauty products that could be considered decidedly anti-feminist. And yet, everything else about the evening is insignificant when you get to engage in such rarefied diva worship as you are able to in War Paint. I plan on seeing this many, many times. 

"

THIS POST IS EVERYTHING. Whizzed you nailed exactly how I felt. When you say the opening is changed, do they no longer use A Women's Face? I actually really liked that song. 

WhizzerMarvin Profile Photo
WhizzerMarvin
#67WAR PAINT Previews
Posted: 3/8/17 at 12:26am

That is correct- A Women's Face and that motif has been cut from the show. Sad news because I loved the melody, but that opening robbed the women of their star entrances later on so it makes sense they cut it. The women of the ensemble now sing a new song as a kind of thematic prologue. 

Seeing as how taken I was with the show I'm surprised by the negative reactions, but maybe this one will divide people. Really it's been one of my favorite shows of the season, right up there with Jitney, Come From Away and Sweat. 

Marie: Don't be in such a hurry about that pretty little chippy in Frisco. Tony: Eh, she's a no chip!

Sally Durant Plummer Profile Photo
Sally Durant Plummer
#68WAR PAINT Previews
Posted: 3/8/17 at 12:27am

Whizzer, loved your review last summer, and love it even more now.

I need to see this. Now

"Sticks and stones, sister. Here, have a Valium." - Patti LuPone, a Memoir

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#69WAR PAINT Previews
Posted: 3/8/17 at 1:02am

Just got in from the first preview performance. I enjoyed it.

When Lupone amd Ebersole sing together it is pure electric. "Face to Face" at the end of Act I left me breathless. I have never seen/heard Ebersole live. She sounds better live than recorded. Just amazing.

With that said, the score is serviceable. The "Fire & Ice" number goes on a tad bit too long in my opinion. The opening to "Step on Out" is weird. It sounded like he was not in time with the orchestra and in the wrong key. But I am assuming it was written that way as I noticed this in another song. The 2 11 o'clock numbers are fine and lean towards the vocal strengths of the two of them. Patti just sang her face off tonight. The two evidentally are enjoying singing this score which is a big plus. Nothing really memorable. "Pink" is a standout.

The lighting is beautiful and the sets are nice. The costumes are out of control fabulous all the way around.

There is an Ebersole look a like in the ensemble and the audience accidently gave her Ebersole's entrance applause during the opening number. But it was a Patti house. The audience went nuts when she entered and she got greater respomse to her numbers. Felt a bit bad for Ebersole.

The young girl in the scene before the finale is awkward. The actress just seemed very amateurish and the dialoug was not the best.

I can only speak for the Mezz but at the end cell phones started coming out during the finale and ushers swooped in making people stop takimg pictures. Even shining flashlights. I was in an aisle seat so was a bit distracted by that and a guy about 5 rows down who decided to film the finale.

It will be interesting to read the reviews. The story is told well and the acting is solid all around, with that one exception. I expect positive reviews for the performances but lukewarm for the show as a whole. Even negative reviews. This is not a tourist show. I hope people who are familiar with Arden and Rubenstein flock to this show. For us theater buffs, it is heaven. These two ladies are consumate artists and their chemistry is electric. You are kind of in awe the whole night.

Just give the world Love.
Updated On: 3/8/17 at 01:02 AM

Robert16 Profile Photo
Robert16
#70WAR PAINT Previews
Posted: 3/8/17 at 1:10am

If you have never scene Patti or Christine before buy a cheap ticket and go. Patti's Polish accent made it difficult to understand the lyrics but she never dissapoints. Christine was clear, strong and a powerhouse. Besides a Wednesday matinee crowd, honestly, who cares about the story? Costumes were gorgeous and staging interesting. Act 2 was better than Act 1. At least 30 minutes should be cut. That's what Previews are for. 

Scarywarhol Profile Photo
Scarywarhol
#71WAR PAINT Previews
Posted: 3/8/17 at 1:16am

I was there tonight as well and had a lovely time. Sure, this score is not walk-out-the-door hummable, but it is so much more sophisticated than 90% of what we get on Broadway--cause for celebration. My god, these lyrics! These rhymes! This is real craftsmanship. 

Patti and Christine are both in terrific voice and wring the material for all it's worth, both comedically and emotionally. I don't know what else to say; they had the audience eating out of their hands. 

The show has adjusted quite a bit since Chicago, just as Grey Gardens did between the Off- and Broadway albums. The opening number is gone to give the ladies separate proper entrances, and I think to start from a place that is a bit more thematic and theatrical. "A Woman's Face" was one of the show's catchier tunes, so I'm surprised it was sacrificed, but it makes sense and was a smart choice. A few other musical moments were cut; was there not a title song in the war sequence originally? 

I think it's still got some focusing to do. The question of whether these women were feminist pioneers or tools of the larger patriarchy is fascinating and dramatic, and it deserves MUCH more than the flip little moment that addresses it at the end of the night. This is something the writers should put some more thought into. To be honest, this is clearly a slightly-campy gay man's take on these characters, not a woman's. 

Still, this is an old-school Broadway star vehicle with some excellent contributions from all the creatives. It's no Grey Gardens, perhaps. But suffice it to say the hats alone are worth the ticket, and you get a LOT more than hats. 

Updated On: 3/8/17 at 01:16 AM

gleek4114 Profile Photo
gleek4114
#72WAR PAINT Previews
Posted: 3/8/17 at 1:26am

Could someone post the song list? I'd love to compare it to the one in my playbill from The Goodman.

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#73WAR PAINT Previews
Posted: 3/8/17 at 1:36am

Act I

BEST FACE FORWARD

BEHIND THE RED DOOR

BACK ON TOP

MY SECRET WEAPON

MY AMERICAN MOMENT

STEP ON OUT

IF I'D BEEN A MAN

BETTER YOURSELF

OH, THAT'S RICH

FACE TO FACE

Act II

INSIDE OF THE JAR

NECESSITY IS THE MOTHER OF INVENTION

BEST FACE FORWARD (Reprise)

NOW YOU KNOW

NO THANK YOU

FIRE AND ICE

DINOSOURS

PINK

FOREVER BEAUTIFUL

BEAUTY IN THE WORLD

FINALE

Just give the world Love.

gleek4114 Profile Photo
gleek4114
#74WAR PAINT Previews
Posted: 3/8/17 at 1:41am

uncageg said: "Act I

BEST FACE FORWARD

BEHIND THE RED DOOR

BACK ON TOP

MY SECRET WEAPON

MY AMERICAN MOMENT

STEP ON OUT

IF I'D BEEN A MAN

BETTER YOURSELF

OH, THAT'S RICH

FACE TO FACE

Act II

INSIDE OF THE JAR

NECESSITY IS THE MOTHER OF INVENTION

BEST FACE FORWARD (Reprise)

NOW YOU KNOW

NO THANK YOU

FIRE AND ICE

DINOSOURS

PINK

FOREVER BEAUTIFUL

BEAUTY IN THE WORLD

FINALE

"

Wow. Looks like a lot was cut/replaced since Chicago. It kinda kills me that they cut "War Paint" and "Hope in a Jar", but kept "Step on Out" and "Dinosaurs". 

Videos