News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

RIP Jonathan Larson

BEKA531
#50re: RIP Jonathan Larson
Posted: 1/25/05 at 11:56pm

i know you've all heard and read these words over and over and over again. but read them one more time, and think about jonathan.

i'm writing one great song before i...
one song
glory
one song
before i go
glory
one song to leave behind
find one song
one last refrain
glory
from the pretty boy front man
who wasted opportunity
one song
he had the world at his feet
glory
in the eyes of a young girl
a young girl
find glory
beyond the cheap colored lights
one song
before the sun sets
glory - on another empty life
time flies - time dies
glory - One blaze of glory
one blaze of glory -- glory
find
glory
in a song that rings true
truth like a blazing fire
an eternal flame
find
one song
a song about love
glory
from the soul of a young man
a young man
find
the one song
before the virus takes hold
glory
like a sunset
one song
to redeem this empty life
time flies
and then - no need to endure anymore
time dies

dear jonathan,

thank you. words cannot express how i truly feel, but i will try. your masterpiece that is rent has changed my life forever and opened my eyes to musical theatre. not a day passes that i don't listen to your music and think about rent and your life that was just too short. it is selfish that we are all still here to enjoy your beautiful work when you are not here to feel proud of it. yet you can rest assured that your legacy will live on forever.

whenever i am having a bad day and start thinking negatively about life, i just say to myself "NO DAY BUT TODAY". it truly keeps me optimistic and ready to move forward one day at a time.

thank you, mr. larson, from the bottom of my heart.

love, rebecca

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#51re: RIP Jonathan Larson
Posted: 1/25/05 at 11:58pm

*sigh*
It literally makes me cry to read through this thread and see how much he'll never get to know.

A work of art is an invitation to love.

BEKA531
#52re: RIP Jonathan Larson
Posted: 1/26/05 at 12:00am

exactly. what hurts me the most is the fact that he can never see what his words have evolved to. being played over and over by people, translated into many languages, and STILL RUNNING ON BROADWAY.

thespian geek Profile Photo
thespian geek
#53re: RIP Jonathan Larson
Posted: 1/26/05 at 12:23am

With only so much time to spend
Don't wanna waste the time I'm given
Have it all, play the game
Some recommend
I'm afraid, it just may be time to give in

I'm twenty-nine, Michael and I
Live on the west side of SoHo and Y

Nine A.M. I write a lyric or two
Mike sings a song now on Mad Avenue
I sing, "come to your senses
Defenses are not the way to go"
Over and over and over
Till I got it right

When I emerge from B Minor or A
Five o'clock, diner calls, I'm on my way

I think,
Hey, what a way to spend a day
Hey, what a way to spend a day

I make a vow
Right here and now

I'm gonna spend my time this way
I'm gonna spend my time this way
Updated On: 1/26/05 at 12:23 AM

LoudIrishGirl
#54re: RIP Jonathan Larson
Posted: 1/26/05 at 12:27am

I think it would be amazing if, for the 10th anniversary of his death and of Rent itself (next year), all around the world fans of Rent were asked to light a single candle and let it burn for a while in honor of everything he has given us through Rent.

And I would like to just say that everybody has been posting such beautiful things. I have definitly been reduced to tears a few times.

And I am sure that Jonathan would be incredibly touched to know that not only are his words still being sung and heard by more and more people, but that they have been taken deeply to heart by so many.

Thank you Jonathan.

"If you can talk, you can sing...if you can walk, you can dance." - T.K. Greene

BEKA531
#55re: RIP Jonathan Larson
Posted: 1/26/05 at 12:37am

he is still watching...

thespian geek
#56re: RIP Jonathan Larson
Posted: 1/26/05 at 12:43am

It was strange. I have no idea exactly what time Jonathan passed away, but I had this urge to light a white candle earlier and it wasn't until about an hour ago that I realized that it was pretty close to the time... probably. Maybe.

*Shushes up*

BEKA531
#57re: RIP Jonathan Larson
Posted: 1/26/05 at 12:44am

it was 3:30 AM last night...

thespian geek
#58re: RIP Jonathan Larson
Posted: 1/26/05 at 12:52am

I thought it was the 25th into the 26th?

BEKA531
#59re: RIP Jonathan Larson
Posted: 1/26/05 at 12:54am

25th

luvtheEmcee
#60re: RIP Jonathan Larson
Posted: 1/26/05 at 12:55am

*cries*

I have a friend who, I don't remember how he pulled this off, but has actually been to that apartment.

thespian geek
#61re: RIP Jonathan Larson
Posted: 1/26/05 at 12:57am

re: RIP Jonathan Larson

I say next year for the 10th we all go set up a memorial at the apartment complex or something. Or is that too weird?

SallyBrown Profile Photo
SallyBrown
#62re: RIP Jonathan Larson
Posted: 1/26/05 at 12:58am

aww!

I'm feeling exactly the same with all of you

I was so honored when I stood outside the Moondance Cafe I was like "Jonathan Larson stepped here, and here and HERE!!"
IT as great.

its so sad though, a tradgedy really re: RIP Jonathan Larson

"It's a great feeling of power to be naked in front of people. We're happy to watch actual incredible graphic violence and gore, but as soon as somebody's naked it seems like the public goes a bit bananas about the whole thing."

BEKA531
#63re: RIP Jonathan Larson

definitely not too weird.

i'm assuming there will be an OBC reunion as well?

BEKA531
#64re: RIP Jonathan Larson

definitely not too weird.

i'm assuming there will be an OBC reunion as well?

luvtheEmcee
#65re: RIP Jonathan Larson

How about at the Neder, thespian geek?

Maybe I'll hit up the Moondance this weekend. I've actually never been.

thespian geek
#66re: RIP Jonathan Larson
Posted: 1/26/05 at 1:02am

The Neder would work.

And about the OBC thing, I think Anthony said he really hopes for there to be a 10 year reunion/concert of sorts like they did for the 5th.

luvtheEmcee
#67re: RIP Jonathan Larson
Posted: 1/26/05 at 1:03am

I think I'd hyperventilate of happiness if they had a reunion.

LoudIrishGirl
#68re: RIP Jonathan Larson
Posted: 1/26/05 at 1:03am

Wow, an OBC reunion concert would be amazing.

"If you can talk, you can sing...if you can walk, you can dance." - T.K. Greene

broadwaystar2b Profile Photo
broadwaystar2b
#69re: RIP Jonathan Larson
Posted: 1/26/05 at 1:04am

Whether I live in the city or not in a year, if there is a 10th reunion, I'm there

thespian geek
#70re: RIP Jonathan Larson
Posted: 1/26/05 at 1:05am

I can't imagine there not being one. A handful of them will be around each other a lot anyways because of the movie.

tshell88 Profile Photo
tshell88
#71re: RIP Jonathan Larson
Posted: 1/26/05 at 1:05am

i want to contribute my thoughts here, but i don't really know how to put anything into words. rent really did change my life. i've always loved theatre so who's to say it wouldn't have happened anyway, but i really search deeper within how i could incorporate theatre into my life because of rent. both through jonathan's words ann through meeting cast members from various companies of rent, i realized that living a dream can be a reality. so that's what i'm striving to do. i won't live the life that's easiest or most convenient. i will be myself and be proud of who i am because of what rent taught me. what jonathan taught me. and i feel so honoured to be able to say that. Updated On: 1/26/05 at 01:05 AM

leomaxfrank Profile Photo
leomaxfrank
#72re: RIP Jonathan Larson
Posted: 1/26/05 at 1:12am

It truly is amazing how many young people's lives he touched.

But I won't live alone in a house of regret.

Dreamcatcher Profile Photo
Dreamcatcher
#73re: RIP Jonathan Larson
Posted: 1/26/05 at 1:31am

Its amazing how many lives he has touched. I'm not all that religious myself but I do believe that he is out there somewhere and that he knows how much his words and life has touched people all over the world and brought them together. And though he, himself, may not be alive to witness it, his family and friends have all seen what his work has accomplished and how many people honor him and his amazing life. I think its beautiful how the most different of people come together to celebrate his life in peace.

I wanted to get something that an "ex"-junkie like him would really appreciate and cherish....it's a brick of heroin shaped like a heart. -Scrubs

Cassie2
#74re: RIP Jonathan Larson
Posted: 1/26/05 at 1:44am

Thanks for posting this.

Rent completely turned my life around. I look back in my journals, when I was in the deep dark pits of anorexia and bulimia and one entry read:

June 12,
Went to see RENT today.

Unbelievable.

and that was all it said, the next time I wrote in that journal I was in recovery and I signed every entry with "No day but today."

I know it sounds really sappy (and yes other things contributed to my recovery), but I don't know what where I'd be if Jonathan Larson had never came along. I'm eternally grateful to that man, and I always will be.

But we didn't have any coffee filters...so I used all we had which was...toilet paper...and we didn't have any coffee grinds so I used..peanut butter..and I found that...all you get is scalding hot peanut...water... <---Why should you always memorize your monologues? Oh yes...there was that one Chorus Line audition...

Videos