News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

Final Bows You Disagree With- Page 3

Final Bows You Disagree With

amasis Profile Photo
amasis
#50re: Final Bows You Disagree With
Posted: 7/10/05 at 9:45pm

I think Pippin should have final bow because it is the leading player telling PIPPIN'S story.

I dunno... The leading player kind of ties everything up together. He's behind everything that happens to Pippin, at least until the very end when Pippin finally goes against him and refuses to do the Finale. It makes perfect sense to me to have the LP bows last.
Updated On: 7/10/05 at 09:45 PM

WickedGeek28 Profile Photo
WickedGeek28
#51re: Final Bows You Disagree With
Posted: 7/10/05 at 9:50pm

This is a bit off topic, but ti bothers me that the orginal wicked billing was krisitn and then idina. then when krisitn left it was idina and then jen. then when jen left it was jen and then shoshana. now its shoshana and then megan! It drives me crazy, stick to one format. i mean it seems whoever is there longer gets first billed.

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view - until you climb into his skin and walk around in it."
To Kill A Mockingbird

#52re: Final Bows You Disagree With
Posted: 7/10/05 at 9:52pm

I never really understood the final bows for ITW. I never thought that the Witch was the biggest part, but it seemed like the witch was usually played by the most famous person.

jonartdesigns Profile Photo
jonartdesigns
#53re: Final Bows You Disagree With
Posted: 7/10/05 at 10:31pm

heres a tough one for y'all- Damn Yankees

my vote has always been
Joe Hardy
Lola
Applegate

"Grease," the fourth revival of the season, is the worst show in the history of theater and represents an unparalleled assault on Western civilization and its values. - Michael Reidel

James2 Profile Photo
James2
#54re: Final Bows You Disagree With
Posted: 7/10/05 at 10:42pm

On the Sweeney Todd DVD with Hearn & Lansbury, I've always thought that the bowing order is a little off:
Ensemble
Beadle
Beggar Women
Pirelli
Joanna
Anthony
Judge Turpin
Tobias
Sweeney
Mrs. Lovett

It should be:
Ensemble
Pirelli
Beggar Woman
Beadle
Joanna
Tobias
Anthony
Judge Turpin
Sweeney & Mrs. Lovett come out at the same time, bow together, then Mrs. Lovett bows individualy, then Sweeney bows individualy.

My avatar = A screencap from Avatar, arguably the greatest animated show of all

The Distinctive Baritone Profile Photo
The Distinctive Baritone
#55re: Final Bows You Disagree With
Posted: 7/10/05 at 11:35pm

It's hard to determine a bow order in "Sweeney", because the supporting roles are very comparable in size. However, I do agree that Sweeney should get the last bow. Angela Lansbury only got top billing and the last bow because...well, she's Angela Lansbury.

BreakingTheCircle07 Profile Photo
BreakingTheCircle07
#56re: Final Bows You Disagree With
Posted: 7/11/05 at 12:11am

I'm biased towards Pippin as well because I played the Lead Player, but I'm one of the few who think Pippin should receive final bow. It's his story. He did far more than me. I think Ben's Broadway royalty status and Tony award landed him his bow. One fun thing was on our final performance, Pippin(my best friend David) and I bowed together. It was sweet.

Variations on a Theme blog: http://panekattack.blogspot.com/

theatreguy Profile Photo
theatreguy
#57re: Final Bows You Disagree With
Posted: 7/11/05 at 3:58am

As far as Pippin goes, I think it depends on the production. The Leading Player is a much showier role and, when played by the right person, can seem larger than Pippin. Much like with the Emcee in Cabaret. Depending on who plays it, it can be considered lead or supporting.

kas Profile Photo
kas
#58re: Final Bows You Disagree With
Posted: 7/11/05 at 6:25am

what kinds of shows do company bows? rent? hair? (actually, not many of us have seen hair :)

Princeton78 Profile Photo
Princeton78
#59re: Final Bows You Disagree With
Posted: 7/11/05 at 11:34am

JoMarch asked about "The Secret Garden"...
I believe the order on Bway went as such...
Chorus/Ensemble
Medlock and Ben together
Dickon and Martha together
Lily, Neville and Craven together
Colin
Mary

Never quite undersood how Colin scored the 2nd to last bow. Hmm.

"Y'all have a GRAND day now"

melissa errico fan Profile Photo
melissa errico fan
#60re: Final Bows You Disagree With
Posted: 7/11/05 at 11:40am

I'm trying to remember, but didn't the Emcee get the final bow in Cabaret? If so, I disagree with that. Sally should get the final bow.

ruthiefan_felix Profile Photo
ruthiefan_felix
#61re: Final Bows You Disagree With
Posted: 7/11/05 at 11:48am

Freakin Brooke Shields got her own bow! It's so unfair as she was the WORST in the show! DISASTER!

All That Jazz Check out & support my drawings @ www.facebook.com/felixdrawings

melissa errico fan Profile Photo
melissa errico fan
#62re: Final Bows You Disagree With
Posted: 7/11/05 at 11:50am

Brooke Shields gets her own bow because she's Brooke Shields. It has nothing to do with her performance.

WonderBoy Profile Photo
WonderBoy
#63re: Final Bows You Disagree With
Posted: 7/11/05 at 12:30pm

I think that people need to remember what a curtain call is and why you bow. It is not so the audience can give the actor an ego boost but rather a chance for the actors to thank their audience. Sure, we love that the audience enjoyed our performance but that isn't why we have a curtain call. Hell, I think some shows are better without one, i.e., JCS. Last bow also has nothing to do with who's name is in the title, or has more to do, etc. Most of the time the last bow is for the "star" of the show. You put a name as The Witch, The Leading Player, etc. Remember that in 42ND STREET Orbach and Grimes were "names" and Richert wasn't really a "name" compared to them.

"For me, THEATRE is an anticipation, an artistic rush, an emotional banquet, a jubilant appreciation, and an exit hopeful of clearer thought and better worlds." ~ an anonymous traveler with Robert Burns

BwayBaby18 Profile Photo
BwayBaby18
#64re: Final Bows You Disagree With
Posted: 7/11/05 at 12:47pm

as reply to the names being aligned on Wicked.... it is all the way you look at it......

Idina has top billing because her name reads higher then Kristin's but scince Kristin's name is further to the left you read it first because of the way we are trained to read

whatyouown223 Profile Photo
whatyouown223
#65re: Final Bows You Disagree With
Posted: 7/11/05 at 12:55pm

Corny Collins getting a bow after Link, Amber, Penny, and Seaweed.

WindyCityActor Profile Photo
WindyCityActor
#66re: Final Bows You Disagree With
Posted: 7/11/05 at 1:48pm

Regarding the order of bows....

In the end, the audience really decides on it's own.

Ah, yes....to be that supporting player what gets the huge burst of applause becuase you are the audience's favorite.

However, having the final bow, and noticing that the applaused has diminshed.

Heart-breaking.

Candleshoe2 Profile Photo
Candleshoe2
#67re: Final Bows You Disagree With
Posted: 7/11/05 at 4:13pm

I like it when there is just one single bow by the entire audience. Especially during a show like Ragtime or Les Mis.

Princeton78 Profile Photo
Princeton78
#68re: Final Bows You Disagree With
Posted: 7/11/05 at 5:17pm

Um...yeah. I like it when the audience gets up and bows too.

"Y'all have a GRAND day now"

jam_man
#69re: Final Bows You Disagree With
Posted: 7/18/05 at 1:50am

I just saw a college production of Oklahoma! today (pretty good, overall), and their curtain call didn't sit well with me. It went (I believe):

Kids
Womens ensemble
Mens ensemble (w/ minor male parts)
Jud, Aunt Eller, and Ali Hakim
Will and Ado Annie
Curly
Laury

I feel it should be more like on the London DVD:

Various ensemble groups
Minor male parts (Andrew Carnes, etc.)
Ali Hakim
Will and Ado Annie
Jud
Aunt Eller
Laury and Curly

Though, depending on who is playing Jud and/or Eller, I could definetly see switching them.

I also just saw a community production of Grease (not too shabby), and if there ever was a show that deserved a single, cast curtain call, it's Grease.

"Who is Stephen Sondheim?" -roninjoey
"The man who wishes he had written Phantom of the Opera!" - SueleenGay

GO CARDINALS!!!

jonartdesigns Profile Photo
jonartdesigns
#70re: Final Bows You Disagree With
Posted: 7/18/05 at 1:55am

as i recall in millie (although its a foggy memory) didn't mrs meers bow before muzzy and jimmy? I could be totally wrong but it just came to me listening to the bows music the other day

"Grease," the fourth revival of the season, is the worst show in the history of theater and represents an unparalleled assault on Western civilization and its values. - Michael Reidel

hortonhearsasam
#71re: Final Bows You Disagree With
Posted: 7/18/05 at 2:30am

I was in a production of The Pajama Game where Hines got the last bow. None of us really cared about it (and hey, as Sid, I was already expecting to get the second-to-last bow, but before Babe, not Hines), but it was just so random! Updated On: 7/18/05 at 02:30 AM

tagiunagi
#72re: Final Bows You Disagree With
Posted: 7/18/05 at 3:08am

Sam, I want to get in your pants.

Question: Will Esparza win for The Homecoming? BobbyBubby: I hope so. If only for the mental health of many people on this board.

ConductorMan
#73re: Final Bows You Disagree With
Posted: 7/18/05 at 3:34am

Many times in Broadway shows bows are a negotiable thing. I know of lots of people who have when they bow in their contracts. It has to do with the name value of the star, not always the size of the role. If you have a big star in the show, you can bet they are going to get the last bow because usually they are selling the tickets. That is not always the right thing to do, but that is the reality of it!

hortonhearsasam
#74re: Final Bows You Disagree With
Posted: 7/18/05 at 4:28am

Priscilla, I saw your post above complaining about not getting a better bow as Bloody Mary. I wasn't going to say anything.

Videos