News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Piazza's Ideal Cast

FrancisGumm Profile Photo
FrancisGumm
#50re: Piazza's Ideal Cast
Posted: 12/30/05 at 12:56am

pasquale is HOT! i wish i could have heard him sing this!

"Beating AIDS and extreme, stupid poverty, this is our moon shot. This is our civil rights struggle, our anti-apartheid movement. This is what the history books will remember our generation for--or blame us for, if we fail."-Bono

#51re: Piazza's Ideal Cast
Posted: 12/30/05 at 1:19am

steven is AMAZING! i wish he would have done the OBC too. he has always really wanted to be on TV and movies, so i am happy for him.
he is gonna be famous..just watch! oh, and he isn't gay! someone asked that once but i didn't know how to post yet. not that there is anything wrong with being gay!!( "Seinfeld" ) hahahah

broadwaybelter Profile Photo
broadwaybelter
#52re: Piazza's Ideal Cast
Posted: 12/30/05 at 1:23am

if he were gay...that'd be okay, i mean cuz hey! i'd love him anyways, because you see if it were me i would feel free to say that he is gay but he's not gay

IssaMe
#53re: Piazza's Ideal Cast
Posted: 12/30/05 at 7:37am

Having worked with Bernadette through the years, all I can say is that there isn't a nicer and more talented woman in the business...she is "the top" in every way - and everyone who knows her and who has worked with her adores her.

However, she has had vocal inconsistencies for years (going back into the 1970s).

When she can sing in top form, she's fantastic...but her voice is very fragile and she frequently loses it. I have seen her go on like a trouper when she's had zero voice (particularly in a club setting)...and pull through for her fellow performers and for the audience.

But you simply can't do that with the role of Margaret --- you can't have someone in the role when you don't know if that person can sing it with consistency and reliability from performance to performance. This is a work of operatic scope which requires incredible vocal stamina.

There is much that Bernadette can and should do --- however, a long run in "Piazza" is not, IMHO, one of those things at this point!

dancingthrulife04 Profile Photo
dancingthrulife04
#54re: Piazza's Ideal Cast
Posted: 12/30/05 at 8:14am

Minor threadjack to say that must have been awesome working with Bernadette.

http://www.beintheheights.com/katnicole1 (Please click and help me win!) I chose, and my world was shaken- So what?
The choice may have been mistaken, The choosing was not...
"Every day has the potential to be the greatest day of your life." - Lin-Manuel Miranda
"And when Idina Menzel is singing, I'm always slightly worried that her teeth are going to jump out of her mouth and chase me." - Schmerg_the_Impaler

IssaMe
#55re: Piazza's Ideal Cast
Posted: 12/30/05 at 9:08am

"Awesome"???

"AWESOME" ???

Even in capital letters, much too weak a word.

The experience(s) of a lifetime is more like it.

And, yes...awesome.

nomdeplume
#56re: Piazza's Ideal Cast
Posted: 1/1/06 at 2:25am

OBC for me...

soulman83
#57re: Piazza's Ideal Cast
Posted: 1/1/06 at 3:24am

I have to say that i think the OBC would have been perfect if Burnham had the role over Morrison. ive seen matthew three time and he is good but you could tell he didnt truly know what he had and i am not convinced that he appreciated the role. i mean to work with such an amazing composer like Guettel is just amazing and every time i saw him in the role it was like "eh whatever" it annoyed me. he was still amazing but you cant beat david. H had me on the edge of my seat the entire show and you could tell her lived and breathed that role. i told him that. i mean he was fabrizio. when he sung his songs it was almost like at any moment he could rip off is skin just to express how much the love he had for clara was killing him. i mean he was so beautiful in the role. completely breathtaking. david is the best ive ever seen in the role. The thing is he was very much on par with the rest of the cast and made you remember who he was. i will never forget him in the role. not to mention he has the best vocal training out of all the fabrizio's. Listening to matthews poppy sound in the show made me sick sometimes. on the other hand matthew is amazing and i would still take him anyday.

nomdeplume
#58re: Piazza's Ideal Cast
Posted: 1/1/06 at 8:28am

I haven't seen David
But this I know
To where Matthew took it
No one else could go

bwaybabe85 Profile Photo
bwaybabe85
#59re: Piazza's Ideal Cast
Posted: 1/1/06 at 4:33pm

I would LOVE to see Peter Lockyer tackle the role of Fabrizio.

soulman83
#60re: Piazza's Ideal Cast
Posted: 1/2/06 at 3:24am

ive seen matthew and david
and this i know
david is the best fabrizio

somethingwicked Profile Photo
somethingwicked
#61re: Piazza's Ideal Cast
Posted: 1/2/06 at 11:14am

If this is a stupid question I apologize, but can Bernadette even get up into the range needed for Margaret? I didn't think she was a soprano at all, so I couldn't imagine her hitting those notes...

Tonya Pinkins: Then we had a "Lot's Wife" last June that was my personal favorite. I'm still trying to get them to let me sing it at some performance where we get to sing an excerpt that's gone.
Tony Kushner: You can sing it at my funeral.

flaemmchen Profile Photo
flaemmchen
#62re: Piazza's Ideal Cast
Posted: 1/2/06 at 11:26am

Mmmmm...Peter Lockyer could do it, but I think he's a bit old.

As Piazza has only had two casts, I can't really say which would be ideal, because I really love the elements that the various performers I've seen have brought to the roles. I can say, however, that I can't picture the show without Vicki Clark as Margaret--she's such a force of nature up there and is clearly the major rock in the show, and it's hard for me to imagine anyone else who can perform the role like her, though there obviously are actors out there who can.

Bah, I need a fix. Badly.

"Peace! The charm's wound up." --Macbeth

nomdeplume
#63re: Piazza's Ideal Cast
Posted: 1/2/06 at 2:57pm

only because you push it soulman
(otherwise I would prefer not as comparison is odious)

The onstage presence
Of both I have seen
David's fine butter
Matthew is cream

#64re: Piazza's Ideal Cast
Posted: 1/2/06 at 3:05pm

I think Kelli was the weakest link of the OBC but I haven't seen any other Clara's to post a better choice.

Phantom2 Profile Photo
Phantom2
#65re: Piazza's Ideal Cast
Posted: 1/2/06 at 5:41pm

Personally, I fell in love with Kelli's performance.

"I'm learning to dig deep down inside and find the truth within myself and put that out. I think what we identify with in popular music more than anything else is when someone just shares a truth that we can relate to. That's what I'm searching for in my music." - Ron Bohmer

"I broke the boundaries. It wasn't cool to be in plays- especially if you were in sports & I was in both." - Ashton Kutcher

nomdeplume
#66re: Piazza's Ideal Cast
Posted: 1/2/06 at 6:35pm

Awww...

The quality of operatic sound that Kelli hit at certain places like "queen," "the beauty is," "museo" was so exquisite on the ear. And she expresses such vulnerability onstage. Not to mention her physical beauty, pretty hair and sweet Irish eyes. That Tony ought have been hers.

I look forward to seeing her in Pajama Game! Bet it'll be a completely different persona!

#67re: Piazza's Ideal Cast
Posted: 1/2/06 at 6:48pm

It wasnt her singing that bothered me. She is good at that. And I do give her that it was a very very difficult role, but I dont think she nailed it the way that everyone else in that show seemed so perfect. I dont mean to say that she was bad. From my first review of the show:

"Kelli O'Hara has a tough tough job! Portraying a 26 yr old with the mental & emotional capacity of a 12 year old who seems to have grown... I dont know that theres a perfect way to get all that across, and in the end her mother comments that she seems very much the same age as Fabrizio, who is 20. She definitely displays naivety and innocence but it just seems as if no matter what age she plays it, itll make *someone* go hmmm? She changed things a bit between the times I saw the show so shes still experimenting it seems. I hope she finds the perfect answer."

somethingwicked Profile Photo
somethingwicked
#68re: Piazza's Ideal Cast
Posted: 1/2/06 at 7:37pm

Isn't Fabrizio 26 and Clara 20?

Tonya Pinkins: Then we had a "Lot's Wife" last June that was my personal favorite. I'm still trying to get them to let me sing it at some performance where we get to sing an excerpt that's gone.
Tony Kushner: You can sing it at my funeral.

#69re: Piazza's Ideal Cast
Posted: 1/2/06 at 7:57pm

no.

bwaybabe85 Profile Photo
bwaybabe85
#70re: Piazza's Ideal Cast
Posted: 1/2/06 at 9:02pm

flaemmchen, Peter may be getting there age-wise, but he certainly doesn't look it!

IssaMe
#71re: Piazza's Ideal Cast
Posted: 1/3/06 at 7:24am

Speaking of "Piazza's Ideal Cast" - interesting that the original Seattle & Chicago "Clara" and "Fabrizio" - Keenan-Bolger & Pasquale - will be appearing with current sometimes-Fabrizio, Burnham, - all together in "Forward" -------------
at Makor Jan. 16. Right before Burnham takes over "Fabrizio" for a week.
Updated On: 1/3/06 at 07:24 AM

Videos