News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Tony Award Nominations

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#50re: Tony Award Wins 2006
Posted: 1/20/06 at 11:01pm

I think Sweeney could possibly win the most awards this year for a musical..

major possibilities..

Best Revival
Best Actress
Best Actor
Best Orchestrations
Best Lighting
Best Direction

And I also think Manoel Felciano will be a strong contender for Best Featured Actor, and I wouldn't be suprised if the delightful Lauren Molina is nominated for her Johanna.
Updated On: 1/20/06 at 11:01 PM

Rentaholic2
#51re: Tony Award Wins 2006
Posted: 1/21/06 at 12:00am

Will the Drowsy Chaperone be on Broadway this season or next?

Is there any way that Dancer's Life could be up for 'Best Musical'? I ask because, number one, it has new music in it (right?)...and number two, I was just thinking if something like 'Fosse' can be considered a 'Best New Musical' (which I strongly disagree with) than is there a chance of that happening here? Not that I want it to...let them take the 'special event' and free up spots for musical.

So do most people like the Color Purple's score? I haven't been able to find clips anywhere online, I'd love to hear it, especially if several of you think it'll win best score.

I know I'm in the minority, but I'd love to see Tarzan take home a lot....maybe even for score for Phil Collins, because I LOVE the music from the movie.

I REALLY hope Jersey Boys and Sweeney Todd tour!!!!! Never forget how lucky you are to live in NYC! (if you do, that is)

DirtyRottenGirl Profile Photo
DirtyRottenGirl
#52re: Tony Award Wins 2006
Posted: 1/21/06 at 12:14am

Rentaholic 2, you can find some clips for Color Purple on www.barnesandnoble.com and I believe there are some on Color Purple's website.

broadwaybelter Profile Photo
broadwaybelter
#53re: Tony Award Wins 2006
Posted: 1/21/06 at 12:16am

im rooting for THE COLOR PURPLE all the way and right behind that WEDDING SINGER

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#54re: Tony Award Wins 2006
Posted: 1/21/06 at 12:24am

Some of my guesses:

Best Musical: Jersey Boys
Revival: Sweeney
Direction: Doyle

Definatley Best Actress will be a toss-up between Patti, LaChanze, and Maria. And Best Actor is going to be between Michael Cerveris and Josh Llyod Young. I think, though, Young has a better chance than Cevberis since Cerveris just wn a Tony and Young recieved such favorable reviews.

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

crzyrocket Profile Photo
crzyrocket
#55re: Tony Award Wins 2006
Posted: 1/21/06 at 12:25am

Re: replacement Tony

How fantastic would it be to have Ron Eldard and Dame Eileen Atkins win? Although Atkins was out when I saw the show, but from early reports, she does not disappoint. Eldard was an incredible Father Flynn.

"The sense that everything's going right is a sure sense that everything's going wrong." -The Goat, or Who Is Sylvia?

Wanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
#56re: Tony Award Wins 2006
Posted: 1/21/06 at 1:12am

The Drowsy Chaperone has not even announced plans to come to Broadway. If it does, it will be at the earliest this fall (next season).

There is only one replacement performance Tony (for the best actor or actress). There are no announced nominees and the winner is decided upon by the nomination committee, not the Tony voters. The winner will be announced separately from the Tony Awards broadcast. I would love to see Eileen Atkins win a long overdue Tony Award. Though I wish she could have her moment on stage to make a speech like all the other winners. She has been nominated 4 times in her career and has yet to win.

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)
Updated On: 1/21/06 at 01:12 AM

MargoChanning
#57re: Tony Award Wins 2006
Posted: 1/21/06 at 2:00am

DANCER'S LIFE is a special event, just as ELAINE STRITCH AT LIBERTY was a special event a couple of seasons ago. All "special events" have new music and/or new material. It is precisely the kind of retrospective show that the category was created for.

FOSSE was a revue. Revues have always been part of the Best Musical category. From SIDE BY SIDE BY SONDHEIM to FIVE GUYS NAMED MO to BLUES IN THE NIGHT to SMOKEY JOE'S CAFE to AIN'T MISBEHAVIN' (which won the Best Musical Tony) to JEROME ROBBINS' BROADWAY (which also won the Best Musical Tony), revues have always been a known and respected part of many Broadway seasons.

"What a story........ everything but the bloodhounds snappin' at her rear end." -- Birdie [http://margochanning.broadwayworld.com/] "The Devil Be Hittin' Me" -- Whitney

crzyrocket Profile Photo
crzyrocket
#58re: Tony Award Wins 2006
Posted: 1/21/06 at 2:16am

From the Tony Awards site:

"According to the new guidelines, this award may be bestowed by the Tony Administration Committee to honor an actor or actress for an outstanding performance in a "recreated role." Up to one actor and one actress in a given season may receive an award in this category.

It's worded a little awkwardly, but I was under the impression that in a given year, two people could possibly win.

"The sense that everything's going right is a sure sense that everything's going wrong." -The Goat, or Who Is Sylvia?

Wanna Be A Foster
#59re: Tony Award Wins 2006
Posted: 1/21/06 at 2:18am

Any idea of whether BRIDGE & TUNNEL will fall into Theatrical Event or Best Play?

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."

MargoChanning
#60re: Tony Award Wins 2006
Posted: 1/21/06 at 2:25am

Bridge & Tunnel will be a "Theatrical Event."

"What a story........ everything but the bloodhounds snappin' at her rear end." -- Birdie [http://margochanning.broadwayworld.com/] "The Devil Be Hittin' Me" -- Whitney

MargoChanning
#61re: Tony Award Wins 2006
Posted: 1/21/06 at 2:29am

And, incidentally, Sir Anthony Sher's PRIMO will likely be a Best Play (which will make him eligible for Best Actor).

FoscasBohemianDream
#62re: Tony Award Wins 2006
Posted: 1/21/06 at 2:43am

Not to go off-topic too much but just because a show doesn't have new music, it doesn't mean it's not a new musical. Fosse was a tribute to one of the most influential choreographers in the history of Broadway, same as Jerome Robbins' Broadway, and I actually agree they both deserved their respective awards.
Margo, I had completely forgotten about Primo, thanks for that remark. Anthony Sher will most likely win the Best Actor in a Play award, his acting was impeccable and he was so committed to the text. Plus, I don't see any major contenders for this category. I wonder if the Odd Couple duo will be nominated, I highly doubt it though, perhaps Lane will be.
Anyone knows if Jill Clayburgh will be considered a featured actress?

Wanna Be A Foster
#63re: Tony Award Wins 2006
Posted: 1/21/06 at 3:12am

For Naked Girl or Barefoot?

-Kad

Wanna Be A Foster
#64re: Tony Award Wins 2006
Posted: 1/21/06 at 6:26am

It looks like the Leading Actress in a Play category is going to be very competitive this year. We have two plays that have already closed that are guaranteed nominations: Kate Burton for THE CONSTANT WIFE and Judy Kaye for SOUVENIR. Critics raved about Burton's performance and Judy was the gem at the heart of SOUVENIR. Other very likely nominations are Cynthia Nixon for RABBIT HOLE and Julia Roberts for THREE DAYS OF RAIN. Of course, neither production has opened yet so we'll have to wait and see what critics say. People on this board have mentioned Amanda Peet for BAREFOOT IN THE PARK, but again, we'll have to see what critics say. As far as Jill Clayburgh goes, I think she's going to be considered a Leading Actress for A NAKED GIRL ON THE APPIAN WAY and a Featured Actress for BAREFOOT IN THE PARK. Clayburgh has always been a critical favorite from what I understand, but she has yet to receive a Tony nomination for any of her work on Broadway. It seems like a Victoria Clark type of situation--Vicki was always praised but she never received Tony attention until Piazza. Anyway, what other actresses do we have in plays upcoming this season? And also, what new plays do we have this season aside from RABBIT HOLE and PRIMO?

-Kad

Updated On: 1/21/06 at 06:26 AM

melissa errico fan Profile Photo
melissa errico fan
#65re: Tony Award Wins 2006
Posted: 1/21/06 at 6:47am

And also, what new plays do we have this season aside from RABBIT HOLE and PRIMO?

The History Boys
Shining City
Festen
A Naked Girl on the Appian Way

I would love to see Antony Sher take the Best Actor trophy for his truly stunning performance in PRIMO. I sincerely hope that enough Tony voters got the chance to see it during its far-too-short run.
Updated On: 1/21/06 at 06:47 AM

Smaxie Profile Photo
Smaxie
#66re: Tony Award Wins 2006
Posted: 1/21/06 at 8:20am

Has a verdict really been rendered on Bridge and Tunnel as special event vs. play? If The Search for Signs of Intelligent Life in the Universe was a play, I suppose Bridge and Tunnel could be one.

In the Best Actor in a Play categories, there are a lot of actors coming up that could be serious contenders: Oliver Platt and Brian O'Byrne in Shining City, Richard Griffiths in The History Boys (who won an Olivier Award for his performance), Bradley Cooper and Paul Rudd in Three Days of Rain (since that play is mostly about the boys anyway), Ben Gazzara in Awake and Sing, Ralph Fiennes in Faith Healer, plus whomever will star in Festen and Journey's End. Plus, Lieutenant of Inishmore could make a leap to Broadway, if it is well-recieved.

Tyne Daly is indeed wonderful in Rabbit Hole, but so is Frances de la Tour in The History Boys. There's also Martha Plimpton in Shining City, who is always interesting. And everyone loved Jane Houdyshell in Well. So, I think there's a race for Supporting Actress for a Play.

As far as Drowsy Chaperone, I do hear that they are still holding out hope of making it in before the end of this season, although where it would go is still a question mark.

And Tarzan should be considerd a major contender in all of the musical catergories.

Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end: then stop.

DirtyRottenGirl Profile Photo
DirtyRottenGirl
#67re: Tony Award Wins 2006
Posted: 1/22/06 at 1:31am

My Predictions For The Tonys
Best Musicals: The Color Purple
Best Revival: Sweeney Todd
Best Actress: Patti LuPone
Best Actor: John Lloyd Young
Best Featured Actress: Lauren Molina
Best Featured Actor: Michael Ball
Best Play: Primo
Best Revival Play: Odd Couple
Best Orchestrations: The Woman in White
Best Score: The Color Purple
I also think Tarzan will be up for some technical awards and The Woman in White will win for what ever you call that new projector thing ever though sometimes it was kind of annoying.

somethingwicked Profile Photo
somethingwicked
#68re: Tony Award Wins 2006
Posted: 1/22/06 at 8:36am

My predictions ( as of right now:)

Best Musical- "The Color Purple"
Best Revival- "Sweeney Todd"
Best Actor in a Musical- Michael Cerveris, "Sweeney Todd"
Best Actress in a Musical- LaChanze, "The Color Purple"
Best Featured Actor in a Musical- Michael Ball, "The Woman in White"
Beast Featured Actress in a Musical- Elisabeth Withers-Mendes, "The Color Purple"
Best Play- "The Rabbit Hole"
Best Revival of a Play- "The Odd Couple"
Best Actor in a Play- Ben Gazzarra, "Awake and Sing"
Best Actress in a Play- Julia Roberts, "Three Days of Rain"
Best Featured Actor in a Play- (Not Sure)
Best Featured Actress in a Play- Jill Clayburgh, "Barefoot in the Park"

Tonya Pinkins: Then we had a "Lot's Wife" last June that was my personal favorite. I'm still trying to get them to let me sing it at some performance where we get to sing an excerpt that's gone.
Tony Kushner: You can sing it at my funeral.

somethingwicked
#69re: Tony Award Wins 2006
Posted: 1/22/06 at 8:38am

Also, a category I think I can fully predict:

Best Actress in a Musical

Laura Benanti, "The Wedding Singer"
Maria Freedman, "The Woman in White"
LaChanze, "The Color Purple"
Patti Lupone, "Sweeney Todd"
Kelli O'Hara, "The Pajama Game"

Tonya Pinkins: Then we had a "Lot's Wife" last June that was my personal favorite. I'm still trying to get them to let me sing it at some performance where we get to sing an excerpt that's gone.

melissa errico fan Profile Photo
melissa errico fan
#70re: Tony Award Wins 2006
Posted: 1/22/06 at 8:39am

If Three Days of Rain gets good reviews, I think it will be unbeatable for Best Play Revival. I think Julia Roberts could trump Matthew and Nathan any day.

LaCageAuxFollesFan Profile Photo
LaCageAuxFollesFan
#71re: Tony Award Wins 2006
Posted: 1/22/06 at 9:10am

Musical: THE COLOR PURPLE
L Actress: PATTI LUPONE (Sweeney Todd)
L Actor: MICHAEL CERVERIS (Sweeney Todd)
F Actress: ELISABETH WITHERS-MENDES (The Color Purple)
F Actor: MICHAEL BALL (The Woman In White)
Score: THE COLOR PURPLE
Book: THE COLOR PURPLE
Orchestrations: THE WOMAN IN WHITE
Lighting/Set/Costume: TBD
Direction: SWEENEY TODD
Revival: SWEENEY TODD
Choreography: Kathleen Marshall, THE PAJAMA GAME

Play: Rabbit Hole
L Actor: Anthony Sheer (PRIMO)
L Actress: Cynthia Nixon (RABBIT HOLE)
F Actor: George Grizzard (SEASCAPE)
F Actress: Tyne Daly (RABBIT HOLE)
Set: John Lee Beaty (RABBIT HOLE)
Lighting/Costime: TBD
Direction: Joe Mantello (Three Days of Rain)
Revival: THREE DAYS OF RAIN
Updated On: 1/22/06 at 09:10 AM

somethingwicked
#72re: Tony Award Wins 2006
Posted: 1/22/06 at 9:35am

ddtruitt, I am seeing it July 12th. :)

Wanna Be A Foster
#73re: Tony Award Wins 2006
Posted: 1/22/06 at 9:36am

I'm glad to finally hear that I'm not the only one who feels Featured Actress in a Musical belongs to Elisabeth Withers-Mendes. I love Felicia P. Fields and I think she's kick-ass (no pun intended) in The Color Purple, but I'm sorry, Shug Avery gets THE best songs, and I'm not even talking about "Push Da Button", which is an awesome song. "What About Love" and "The Color Purple" are THE most gorgeous songs in this show, and Withers-Mendes delivers with precision and grace.

-Kad

Wanna Be A Foster
#74re: Tony Award Wins 2006
Posted: 1/22/06 at 10:20am

With the mixed critical reception THE DANCER'S LIFE has received, what do you think the chances are of Off-Broadway's critical darling, BRIDGE & TUNNEL, beating out Chita for Best Special Theatrical Event? And say, they give Chita a Lifetime Achievement Award as a consolation. I adore Chita, but I hate to see a new artist not get the recognition she deserves if hers is the better work.

-Kad

Videos