News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

GO LaCHANZE !!!

Mantber
#50re: GO LaCHANZE !!!
Posted: 6/12/06 at 12:31am

TEAM LACHANZE

WriteInNYC
#51re: GO LaCHANZE !!!
Posted: 6/12/06 at 12:46am

I'm so happy for her. She's such a major talent who hasn't, in my opinion, gotten the attention she deserves up to this point. I hope this leads to many more Tony wins for her in the future. Also, she scores an A+ for being incredibly gracious in her acceptance speech. A class act all the way.

Anakela Profile Photo
Anakela
#52re: GO LaCHANZE !!!
Posted: 6/12/06 at 12:56am

I was one saying that "LaChanze should win, but Patti will win." I am so glad I was wrong.

and I loved LaChanze's speech- so gracious.

FosseBoi
#53re: GO LaCHANZE !!!
Posted: 6/12/06 at 12:57am

Though I havent seen her yet, I REALLY wanted her to win and I'm SOOOOOO GLAD she did!!! Theatreboi, my friends and I said the same thing about getting paid to thank Oprah. Also, I would LOVE to know what Patti said/thought when LaChanze name was called.

"I've always secretly longed for an actress to get to the top of the cherry picker and projectile vomit all over the guards below."- Wonderwaiter in the "Defy Gravity?" thread. ~~~~~~~~My dream? Sutton Foster as Cassie in A Chorus Line

MTVMANN Profile Photo
MTVMANN
#55re: GO LaCHANZE !!!
Posted: 6/12/06 at 1:38am

This was the best part of the night! So Happy for her! It was also what I listed for the Tony Upset that I wanted most.

WithoutATrace Profile Photo
WithoutATrace
#56re: GO LaCHANZE !!!
Posted: 6/12/06 at 1:41am

best. upset. ever.

muscle23ftl Profile Photo
muscle23ftl
#57re: GO LaCHANZE !!!
Posted: 6/12/06 at 1:45am

LaChanze sooooooooooooo deserved it.

"People have their opinions and that doesn't mean that their opinions are wrong or right. I just take it with a grain of salt because opinions are like as*holes, everyone has one". -Felicia Finley-

WithoutATrace Profile Photo
WithoutATrace
#58re: GO LaCHANZE !!!
Posted: 6/12/06 at 1:47am

so happy re: GO LaCHANZE !!!

WordedGrace Profile Photo
WordedGrace
#59re: GO LaCHANZE !!!
Posted: 6/12/06 at 1:52am

It was a big upset indeed but a well deserved win in my humble opinion. I read these boards and saw how no one gave her a chance but tonight proved them all wrong. Maybe now she'll learn her last name and use it!

I'm not gonna hate you in the magazines, (I'm better than that) I'm not gonna compromise my Christianity, (I'm better than that) You know I'm not gonna diss you on the Internet Cause my momma taught me better than that.

Effie Im TIRED Profile Photo
Effie Im TIRED
#60re: GO LaCHANZE !!!
Posted: 6/12/06 at 1:53am

I wonder what LaChanze will do after she leaves Purple.

Wrong, sir. Wrong! Under section 37B of the contract signed by him, it states quite clearly that all offers shall become null and void if - and you can read it for yourself in this photostatic copy - "I, the undersigned, shall forfeit all rights, privileges, and licenses herein and herein contained," et cetera, et cetera..."Fax mentis incendium gloria cultum," et cetera, et cetera..."Memo bis punitor delicatum"! It's all there, black and white, clear as crystal! You stole fizzy lifting drinks. You bumped into the ceiling which now has to be washed and sterilized, so you get nothing! You lose! Good day sir!

BSoBW2
#62re: GO LaCHANZE !!!
Posted: 6/12/06 at 2:22am

I've never been so happy watching an awards show!

I knew she would pull through!

Hairspraydoll Profile Photo
Hairspraydoll
#63re: GO LaCHANZE !!!
Posted: 6/12/06 at 2:36am

Oh My God!!!! Yes! I screamed and jumped up and down when her name was announced! I loved her in this! She rocks!

Be the change you want in the world....

MusicAndPassion Profile Photo
MusicAndPassion
#64re: GO LaCHANZE !!!
Posted: 6/12/06 at 6:40am

I knew she was going to win! I even told her that in April and she called me sweet.

She totally deserved it. I was so afraid Patti Lupone was gonna win. I was shaking & love LaChanze's reaction!

All_For_Laura Profile Photo
All_For_Laura
#65re: GO LaCHANZE !!!
Posted: 6/12/06 at 6:55am

Yay LaChanze! I was in a Tony Chatroom at the time, and we all just started cheering!!! I am very happy for her!

...What happened next, was stranger still, a woman breathless and afraid, appeared out of the night, completely dressed in white. She had a secret she would tell, of one who had mistreated her. Her face and frightened gaze, my mind cannot erase...But then she ran from view. She looked so much like you...

Fiction Writer Profile Photo
Fiction Writer
#66re: GO LaCHANZE !!!
Posted: 6/12/06 at 7:14am

Why doesn't she go by Rhonda Sapp anymore? (I spent a lot of the evening at IBDB today.)

Christoph
#67re: GO LaCHANZE !!!
Posted: 6/12/06 at 11:15am

I am surprised and glad that La Chanze won, but then I was hoping anyone but Patti LuPone would get it (And yes, I did see all of the nominees and liked them better). I had always wanted to see LuPone on stage, but when I saw ST she seemed bored and rushed, as if showing up and merely singing the words were enough. By contrast, her co-stars were terrific right down the line. I know that I will be blasted by LuPone fans now, who automatically go on the attack when anyone is critical of her ST work, but some of them do not seem to differentiate between this lone performance and her entire body of work, so they act as if you are criticizing LuPone the Icon as opposed to LuPone the ST performer. I had one fervent fan tell me that perhaps I was not smart enough to understand that "Patti" made a conscious acting decision to appear bored and indifferent as her approach to this role, which she "owned". Well, that may be, but I have had the pleasure of seeing Angela Lansbury, Dorothy Loudon and Christine Baranski in this part. All had different approaches and all were wonderful in their own right, but I cannot recall any of them delivering a performance that I would describe as bored and indifferent.

broadwaybelter Profile Photo
broadwaybelter
#68re: GO LaCHANZE !!!
Posted: 6/12/06 at 12:07pm

yea i was literally applauding in my room!

Danielm
#69re: GO LaCHANZE !!!
Posted: 6/12/06 at 12:47pm

I'm totally with you on this. LaChanze deserved this award so much and I was worried she wouldn't get it because Patti has such a history and fan base. I love Patti, but nothing she did in Sweeney made me think she should win this over LaChanze. The nominees are all great but none had the opportunity to carry the show like LaChanze does.

Yes, we do need a third vampire musical.--Little Sally, Gypsy of the Year 2005.

Lavieboheme3090 Profile Photo
Lavieboheme3090
#70re: GO LaCHANZE !!!
Posted: 6/12/06 at 12:50pm

I love her.

meggsison
#71re: GO LaCHANZE !!!
Posted: 6/12/06 at 12:54pm

Yes! I was so EXCITED when I heard her name announced, I thought for sure it would have been Patti or Sutton. I had no hope left after TCP lost all the other catagories...

But, CONGRATS TO HER! She was FANTASTIC in TCP and she was amazing in the performance last night as well!

<-----yeah, she rocks.

The course of true love never did run smooth.

tz0o
#72re: GO LaCHANZE !!!
Posted: 6/12/06 at 1:59pm

LaChanze is a talented actress, indeed. It's just a shame she wasn't given better material to work with.

You insult me, I ignore you. That's how the system works around here.

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#73re: GO LaCHANZE !!!
Posted: 6/12/06 at 2:10pm

An extremely disappointing evening - and this just was the cherry on the cake.

Patti LuPone not winning for SWEENEY TODD just proves even further that the Tony Awards are a joke and do not, in fact, represent excellence but theatrical politics, personal bias, and just money money money.

I'm happy that La Chanze is happy...but to give her the most coveted theatre award for her mediocre, uneven performance in THE COLOR PURPLE just makes the Tony voters look like fools.

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

BSoBW2
#74re: GO LaCHANZE !!!
Posted: 6/12/06 at 2:11pm

her mediocre, uneven performance

OK.

imafantu Profile Photo
imafantu
#75re: GO LaCHANZE !!!
Posted: 6/12/06 at 2:27pm

Couldn't have said it better myself BSobW!

I'm guessing his choice didn't win, and if politics and money were involved, then Felicia would have won for featured so that they could vicariously award oprah for "sophia" and inevitably secure her financial support of all things broadway...didn't happen.

Congratulations, Lachanze- For gracefully aging a character from 14-60 in 2h 40m... For a vocal performance that is tops night after night. And for being the medium through which the majority of 8 audiences each week send the sales of kleenex into orbit! You are a class act!

Your Potential is greater than your problems, and your problems will bring out your potential- Vashti Murphy McKenzie. Honey...don't be ashamed, be comfortable with who you are. Stay true to yourself.- Elisabeth Withers-Mendes

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#76re: GO LaCHANZE !!!
Posted: 6/12/06 at 2:46pm

No, my choice didn't win - clearly.

I'm happy for La Chanze...it's just unfortunate that people get rewarded for performances that are not absolutely brilliant.

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

Videos