News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

GYPSY REVIVAL ASAP!

#50re: GYPSY REVIVAL ASAP!
Posted: 8/16/06 at 10:21pm

i love reading people's thoughts, experiences & feelings about GYPSY!

any version of GYPSY!

please, keep 'em comin!

ILUVTOMG Profile Photo
ILUVTOMG
#51re: GYPSY REVIVAL ASAP!
Posted: 8/16/06 at 11:29pm

i would settle for patti/gypsy with the philharmonic or a limited run at lincoln center. a full-blown bway revival? not after the last one crashed and burned. laurents may be 'opinionated' but GYPSY is definitely his baby. The 1989 revival was beautifully directed and performed. but GYPSY has never been a popular show (despite it's brilliance) and i doubt if investors will be lining up to back yet another revival that's bound to tank. but i do hope that patti gets to play it again at some point .. at least before she turns into Grandmama Rose

Doulton Profile Photo
Doulton
#52re: GYPSY REVIVAL ASAP!
Posted: 8/17/06 at 12:54am

My husband and I saw GYPSY on Saturday night. The Ravinia production was made by Patti LuPone. Her Rose was the most complicated Rose I have seen. I think that LuPone must have simply considered the incredible range of feelings that a character like Mme Rose has and how quickly those feelings can be cycled through---anger, envy, seduction, desire, projection, transference, ambition, ruthlessness--and yet a comic side, a childish side, an insecure side, a heartbroken side, an absolutely demented side. I've never seen a Broadway character played so 3 dimensionally. And LuPone embodies Rose in an absolutely realistic way.

I'm rather tired of the one-dimensional Rose: you don't need a "gimmick" to be Rose, you need to have the full range of emotions available to you and to be able to slip from one to another with quicksilver speed.

I have now seen Patti five times in the past four years and each and every time has been a different tribute to her versatility as an actress and a singer. She never fails to be better than one could possibly hope for.

I also am eager to hear if Ravinia did tape the show for either DVD or CD. It would be a crime to have that calibre of a performance not available for posterity.

The Symphony was excellent; the supporting cast was just fine but nobody was as luminous as Patti.

Videos