News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

STREEP TO PLAY MRS. LOVETT IN FILM!! -- I heard it from someone in LA who w- Page 3

STREEP TO PLAY MRS. LOVETT IN FILM!! -- I heard it from someone in LA who w

Wanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
#50re: It's OFFICIAL-- STREEP TO PLAY MRS. LOVETT IN FILM!!
Posted: 9/15/06 at 4:32pm

Oh lord, that we should suffer this woman's mannerisms and tics that pass themselves off as acting. I can't think of anything worse than Streep in this part.

Mr. Brantley, is that you?

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)

FOAnatic Profile Photo
FOAnatic
#51re: It's OFFICIAL-- STREEP TO PLAY MRS. LOVETT IN FILM!!
Posted: 9/15/06 at 4:45pm

In case anyone's interested...

I know someone involved in casting the film and they tell me Bernadette Peters was brought in to read/sing for the role a week or two ago...I sh*t you not.

As much as her being cast would make me cream myself...I don't see it happening. She just wouldn't sell tickets.

Unless the supporting cast was just that amazing.

"I love talking about nothing. It is the only thing I know anything about." - Oscar Wilde

Scarywarhol Profile Photo
Scarywarhol
#52re: It's OFFICIAL-- STREEP TO PLAY MRS. LOVETT IN FILM!!
Posted: 9/15/06 at 5:09pm

Word from my insider friend is that Bernadette is playing the Beadle.

alliez92092 Profile Photo
alliez92092
EponineAmneris Profile Photo
EponineAmneris
#54re: It's OFFICIAL-- STREEP TO PLAY MRS. LOVETT IN FILM!!
Posted: 9/15/06 at 5:13pm

This is great news! I am even more excited about it now re: It's OFFICIAL-- STREEP TO PLAY MRS. LOVETT IN FILM!!

"TO LOVE ANOTHER PERSON IS TO SEE THE FACE OF GOD"- LES MISERABLES--- "THERE'S A SPECIAL KIND OF PEOPLE KNOWN AS SHOW PEOPLE... WE'RE BORN EVERY NIGHT AT HALF HOUR CALL!"--- CURTAINS

JohnBoy2 Profile Photo
JohnBoy2
#55re: It's OFFICIAL-- STREEP TO PLAY MRS. LOVETT IN FILM!!
Posted: 9/15/06 at 5:15pm

So, she's determined to do all of Lansbury's iconic roles? I suppose MAME is next.

EponineAmneris Profile Photo
EponineAmneris
#56re: It's OFFICIAL-- STREEP TO PLAY MRS. LOVETT IN FILM!!
Posted: 9/15/06 at 5:16pm

This is great news! I am even more excited about it now re: It's OFFICIAL-- STREEP TO PLAY MRS. LOVETT IN FILM!! I hope it's true.

"TO LOVE ANOTHER PERSON IS TO SEE THE FACE OF GOD"- LES MISERABLES--- "THERE'S A SPECIAL KIND OF PEOPLE KNOWN AS SHOW PEOPLE... WE'RE BORN EVERY NIGHT AT HALF HOUR CALL!"--- CURTAINS

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#57re: It's OFFICIAL-- STREEP TO PLAY MRS. LOVETT IN FILM!!
Posted: 9/15/06 at 5:16pm

"Word from my insider friend is that Bernadette is playing the Beadle."

Yes, but which one? John, Paul, Sartre, or Ringo?

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22

Scarywarhol
#58re: It's OFFICIAL-- STREEP TO PLAY MRS. LOVETT IN FILM!!
Posted: 9/15/06 at 5:24pm

Pete Best, actually.

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#59re: It's OFFICIAL-- STREEP TO PLAY MRS. LOVETT IN FILM!!
Posted: 9/15/06 at 5:25pm

Those ticks that you complain about are what make Streep's performances so life-like, so entrancing, and so accomplished. She is simply the greatest actress working today, and I firmly believe that people who bash her are simply doing so just to avoid popular opinion.

Acting is being. Ticks and idiosyncrasies add layers to a performance, when used correctly. All of Streep’s choices are character based, and clearly aren’t bad acting habits. Detail is so important to a performance.

Take Donna Murphy. She fills her performances with the same nuances as Streep. It is thrilling to watch.

This is great news. I can't wait to see her big breakdown. She will be genius.

Scarywarhol
#60re: It's OFFICIAL-- STREEP TO PLAY MRS. LOVETT IN FILM!!
Posted: 9/15/06 at 5:28pm

If she's in it.

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#61re: It's OFFICIAL-- STREEP TO PLAY MRS. LOVETT IN FILM!!
Posted: 9/15/06 at 5:33pm

I love the idea of Depp and Streep (or is it Deep and Strepp?) playing these roles.

I do hope it pans out.

They are two of the most fearless and experimental film stars out there, and I'm sure they'd be taking all sorts of risks with these two characters... something that will NEED to be done for a cinematic telling of Sondheim's "Sweeney." It will be anything but straight-forward and "expected."

I would really look forward to seeing what they came up with. It won't be boring, that's for sure. Kinda like watching a highwire act... with no net!

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22

Rathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
#62re: It's OFFICIAL-- STREEP TO PLAY MRS. LOVETT IN FILM!!
Posted: 9/15/06 at 6:50pm

Ms. Lader certainly has her work cut out.

Have I ever shown you my Shattered Dreams box? It's in my Disappointment Closet. - Marge Simpson

PARISinNYC Profile Photo
PARISinNYC
#63re: It's OFFICIAL-- STREEP TO PLAY MRS. LOVETT IN FILM!!
Posted: 9/15/06 at 7:37pm

Whoa, Bernadette as BEADLE?

Seriously, what a [rumored] cast list this is turning out to be! I'm so excited!!

SweeneyTodd3
#64re: It's OFFICIAL-- STREEP TO PLAY MRS. LOVETT IN FILM!!
Posted: 9/15/06 at 8:12pm

*squiee* :) i do want lupone fore this(lansbury is to old or dosnt have enough energy to make a movie) but i would HIGHLY dout(sp?) that they would pick some one with that little credit popular on broadway definetly but its just sad that thay want "famous people" for a movie insted of a good persion but my top three choices are(not in order its to hard to gues ther talent for this) 1.bett midler
2.glen close
3.merril streep

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#65re: It's OFFICIAL-- STREEP TO PLAY MRS. LOVETT IN FILM!!
Posted: 9/15/06 at 8:20pm

Although never published from a "rumored news" source nor the press, Streep has been in talks since before Burton came on to once again direct.

Here's the latest on the film, soon to be published on the new MovieMusicals.net:

SWEENEY TODD [DEVELOPMENT]

In 1997, a book entitled Sondheim on Music: Minor Details and Major Decisions by Mark Eden Horowitz was published. In it, Sondheim is quoted in saying that Tim Burton was very interested in turning SWEENEY TODD into a movie musical.

In June 2003, however, Variety reported that Steven Spielberg intended in mounting the film version for DreamWorks.

Just a month later, Variety then reported that Sam Mendes would direct a film adaptation with Walter Parkes and Laurie MacDonald producing, also for DreamWorks. They also confirmed that the Burton-led project fell through.

In February 2004, Scamp Films again announced it planned on bringing Stephen Sondheim’s SWEENEY TODD to the big screen. John Logan (‘The Aviator;’ ‘Gladiator’) was named to pen the screenplay. Sam Mendes, who co-founded Scamp, was still rumored to direct the project.

In March 2005, the Daily Mail newspaper reported that Russell Crowe was “mulling over” whether or not to accept the title role also known as “the demon barber of Fleet Street.” As for Mrs. Lovett: Emma Thompson, Imelda Staunton and Toni Collette were “in the mix” of possibilities.

In January 2006, MovieMusicals.net reported that Tim Burton was once again set to direct the film after Mendes dropped out of the running, opting to direct JARHEAD instead. Johnny Depp was announced to star. Later in June, Variety confirmed and also announced that the project would move forward faster than expected, since Burton’s RIPLEY’S BELIEVE IT OR NOT was sent back into development.

In September 2006, DreamWorks announced principal photography would begin on February 5, 2007 in London. Casting is expected to take place in the coming weeks.

"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle

Producer2 Profile Photo
Producer2
#66re: It's OFFICIAL-- STREEP TO PLAY MRS. LOVETT IN FILM!!
Posted: 9/15/06 at 8:38pm

i said on a post a very long time ago that Bernadette would be a great Mame

bwayondabrain
#67re: It's OFFICIAL-- STREEP TO PLAY MRS. LOVETT IN FILM!!
Posted: 9/15/06 at 9:05pm

this is quite exciting
I'm sure (if she does it) she will be a marvelous Lovett!
I sure hope, though, we get a more official announcement soon... the suspense is killing me! :P

The Distinctive Baritone Profile Photo
The Distinctive Baritone
#68re: It's OFFICIAL-- STREEP TO PLAY MRS. LOVETT IN FILM!!
Posted: 9/16/06 at 2:57am

PARISinNYC--The poster was joking when they said Bernadette would be playing the Beadle, but it is true that she was recently brought in to audition for Mrs. Lovett. I highly doubt she will get it though. She's just too sweet to turn people into meat pies.

PARISinNYC Profile Photo
PARISinNYC
#69re: It's OFFICIAL-- STREEP TO PLAY MRS. LOVETT IN FILM!!
Posted: 9/16/06 at 3:04am

Yeah, I got that eventually. Haha, i'm sorry. I'm really bad at recognizing sarcasm when it's typed. That's why I always tend to write it like: *sarcasm* after my sentence...

....yeah, it usually kills the punchline.

BwayBaby18 Profile Photo
BwayBaby18
#70re: It's OFFICIAL-- STREEP TO PLAY MRS. LOVETT IN FILM!!
Posted: 9/16/06 at 3:13am

Does no one have imagination sometimes the best casting is going for the opposite. Like putting a no talent actor (Johnny Depp) in a major musical role. So why couldn't we have an ageless sweet beauty play Mrs. Lovette?

sicetergo
#71re: It's OFFICIAL-- STREEP TO PLAY MRS. LOVETT IN FILM!!
Posted: 9/16/06 at 3:59am

"Those ticks that you complain about are what make Streep's performances so life-like, so entrancing, and so accomplished. She is simply the greatest actress working today, and I firmly believe that people who bash her are simply doing so just to avoid popular opinion"

It's a matter of taste,but having seen truly great actresess at work - the likes of Dench or Mirren, you can see the difference. Unfortunately Streep, who is clearly an intelligent woman does not posess the modesty to cover her art. She's very good at showing you her "art". Essentially, it's comes over as paint by numbers acting - you can see the joins.

Updated On: 9/16/06 at 03:59 AM

Scarywarhol
#72re: It's OFFICIAL-- STREEP TO PLAY MRS. LOVETT IN FILM!!
Posted: 9/16/06 at 7:42am

The pretention in this thread is heating up.

devonian.t Profile Photo
devonian.t
#73re: It's OFFICIAL-- STREEP TO PLAY MRS. LOVETT IN FILM!!
Posted: 9/16/06 at 9:31am

Whilst I LOVE Toni Colette, I am intrigued by Streep, who has shown that she can more tha hold a tune!

I love the idea of Helen Mirren, too- as long as she does not feel obliged to get her t*ts out!

MS Pinkins would also devour the role!

#74re: It's OFFICIAL-- STREEP TO PLAY MRS. LOVETT IN FILM!!
Posted: 9/16/06 at 9:39am

it was so easy to block Chanti, that now ive gone ahead & blocked the haters; the people who ONLY ever post negative & hateful things.

Videos