News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

Movies that would be awesome shows...- Page 3

Movies that would be awesome shows...

Justin D Profile Photo
Justin D
#50re: Movies that would be awesome shows...
Posted: 10/20/06 at 3:50pm

Did I miss something of did Thomas S. of Disney recently say flat out thet there are no plans whatsoever for Hunchback to come to Broadway?

Pocohontas would be great, however I was thinking that could be better done as an arena touring show to capitalise on the posible rich lush sets of the forest that may not translate well in an ordinary theatre.

Musically I also liked Prince of Egypt, but we all know what happened to that last Moses Musical

and for that earlier post, please dont compare Noate Dame de Paris with Hunchback, same story, but radically different shows

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27199361@N08/ Phantom at the Royal Empire Theatre

Lizzya9
#51re: Movies that would be awesome shows...
Posted: 10/20/06 at 4:06pm

Ok SeanMartin. Seeing B&tB was the most amazing experience of my life-it really changed me as a person. So I respect your opinions but don't post them on a board unless it says "your opinions of shows", or something like that. This board is just to chat about movies that would be cool on stage, not what WOULDN'T be good on stage. And by the way Tarzan was an incredible film.

Dirty Rotten Scoundrel Profile Photo
Dirty Rotten Scoundrel
#52re: Movies that would be awesome shows...
Posted: 10/20/06 at 4:40pm

Lizzya- It's a message board. Message boards are meant for discussion. People are going to post their opinions no matter what, that's the point of a discussion. Opinions are bound to clash.

SeanMartin Profile Photo
SeanMartin
#53re: Movies that would be awesome shows...
Posted: 10/20/06 at 9:13pm

>> This board is just to chat about movies that would be cool on stage, not what WOULDN'T be good on stage. And by the way Tarzan was an incredible film.

You have GOT to be kidding me, right? On all counts.

Here's a clue: this is an open board. If you dont like a certain poster's remarks (like, oh, I dont know... mine, maybe), then here's what you do: dont read them. Skip over them and head to the next post that will make you feel all warm and fuzzy inside, rather than having to deal with messages that apparently subvert the whole raison d'etre for this board's existence.... in your opinion, anyway.

And I stand by my statement: most of the properties mentioned thus far simply would not work onstage, not with the same magic that we saw on screen. BEAUTY fails utterly in trying to be like the animated film, and TARZAN... well, the less said there the better. I'm all for the magic of a live performance, but let's make it something worth the magic, not a rehashed, half-%ssed version of a perfectly good movie. As much as technology has said otherwise, a stage has very physical limits -- and to take something as sprawling as POCOHANTAS or MULAN and even think you're going to rise to the film precedent is a fool's errand at best.

And this is precisely why LION KING works and BEAUTY doesnt. LION KING was a complete overhaul that ignored the film and went its own way, deeper into the core material and its sources. BEAUTY tries to be a reproduction of the film, and it works reasonably okay *until* the "objects" come on. Then it falls apart miserably because it's desperately trying to be something it just cant, and the inherent magic of the objects' personalities is utterly lost. It's just adults in big costumes, a grotesquery designed for one purpose and one purpose only: to make money. And it does that very, very well -- not because it's good theatre, but because it's got that recognition factor tourists love.

http://docandraider.com

fengshuihellnyc
#54re: Movies that would be awesome shows...
Posted: 10/21/06 at 12:09am

NO MOVIE SHOULD EVER BECOME A SHOW> PERIOD!!!!!!

Lizzya9
#55re: Movies that would be awesome shows...
Posted: 10/21/06 at 8:48am

OK I'm sorry. I just like B&tB, that's all. I think it's a lot deeper than the film and everything about it (sets, costumes, effects, music, etc.) makes it more magical to me. But I guess to each his own.

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#56re: Movies that would be awesome shows...
Posted: 10/21/06 at 11:41am

In the same vein as harold & Maude how about "Where's Poppa" ?

Poster Emeritus

americanboy99 Profile Photo
americanboy99
#57re: Movies that would be awesome shows...
Posted: 10/21/06 at 1:36pm

oh. how about:

CHICAGO

RENT

MEET ME IN ST. LOUIS

THE SOUND OF MUSICA

I love those musicals. I am so surprised someone hasn't made them Broadway shows. They have such good music.

RICRoyal2010 Profile Photo
RICRoyal2010
#58re: Movies that would be awesome shows...
Posted: 10/21/06 at 2:36pm

If I remember correctly MTI announced that Disney was working on a musical adaptation of Newsies. I co-own, and am a producer and designer for the RI youth theatre company Living Art Theatricks and I can recall getting a letter from MTI regarding Disney's newest endeavors Mulan was also in that letter. The Little Mermaid as we all know is coming in 2008. The only problem is Ariel doesn't speak nevermind sing much in the movie.

"I'm that one in a million chance when the director says 'you', the small town boy who makes it big, the one that little children and grown men and women will adore, I'm that shot in the dark everyone talks about, you may not know my name yet, but you will, everyone will, someday."- Me

RICRoyal2010 Profile Photo
RICRoyal2010
#59re: Movies that would be awesome shows...
Posted: 10/21/06 at 2:36pm

If I remember correctly MTI announced that Disney was working on a musical adaptation of Newsies. I co-own, and am a producer and designer for the RI youth theatre company Living Art Theatricks and I can recall getting a letter from MTI regarding Disney's newest endeavors Mulan was also in that letter. The Little Mermaid as we all know is coming in 2008. The only problem is Ariel doesn't speak nevermind sing much in the movie.

"I'm that one in a million chance when the director says 'you', the small town boy who makes it big, the one that little children and grown men and women will adore, I'm that shot in the dark everyone talks about, you may not know my name yet, but you will, everyone will, someday."- Me

Videos