News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

songs without any relevance to the musical- Page 3

songs without any relevance to the musical

Urban
#50re: songs without any relevance to the musical
Posted: 2/23/07 at 6:53am

"What A Game" does make alot more sense at its place in the story if one has read the book.

In fact if "Ragtime" has one song that has absolutely no relevance to the plot, it is bloody "Sarah Brown Eyes", which A&F openly admit too writing only to give Audra actual time in the second act (oh I am not complaining btw - I adore them for giving me extra minutes to listen to Audra), but really "Sarah Brown Eyes" actually distracts from the high intensity of the second act more then "What A Game" ever does.

Others that (I find) have really little relance to the show:

"Little Lamb" in "Gypsy"
"A Little Bit of Love" in "Chicago"
"Sister Suffragette" in "Mary Poppins" (well the movie)

re: songs without any relevance to the musical

husk_charmer
#51re: songs without any relevance to the musical
Posted: 2/23/07 at 8:47am

SidJone09-
The reason "Officer Krupke" is there is BECAUSE it would be too dark without it.

A lot of these numbers that are being called "irrelevant" really aren't quite. Many of them, like "Krupke" are used to break the action to give the audience a break. While it may not really fully advance the plot, if it's been incredibly intense, and you don't relieve that tension a little bit, your audience will hate it.

Act 1 Finales, especially in the 60s and 70s were meant to end, with a BANG (Hence "Turkey Lurkey Time") to keep audiences' blood going, and to help convince them to stay until Act 2 (Having the main character in something we want to see them get into/out of helps too).

http://www.youtube.com/huskcharmer

roseaddams Profile Photo
roseaddams
#52re: songs without any relevance to the musical
Posted: 2/23/07 at 10:32am

As much as I love it -- The Ladies Who Lunch. Joanne doesn't like a whole bunch of people. This helps Robert not at all through his confusion about marriage.

"You mean what was the best picture of the year or what did they pick as the best picture of the year?" - California Suite

vmlinnie
#53re: songs without any relevance to the musical
Posted: 2/23/07 at 10:42am

There are far too many songs that are completely irrelevant. I was njust discussing this yesterday with a friend, with special mention of 'Motherhood' in 'Hello, Dolly!'. I saw a pantomime last night, and not a single song had any relevance to anything whatsoever. Really annoying. I suppose this is all about the 'I want, I am, New' breakdown. Almost all 'New' songs are unnecessary, but they give life and often some fun to the show.

The rain we knew is a thing of the past -
deep-delving, dark, deliberate you would say
browsing on spire and bogland; but today
our sky-blue slates are steaming in the sun,
our yachts tinkling and dancing in the bay
like racehorses. We contemplate at last
shining windows, a future forbidden to no one.

Derek Mahon

"Maybe all one can do is hope to end up with the right regrets."

Arthur Miller
Updated On: 2/23/07 at 10:42 AM

LoringsGuy
#54re: songs without any relevance to the musical
Posted: 2/23/07 at 11:00am

Someone mentioned "Oom Pa Pa" from Oliver! I've only seen the movie, so I can't comment on how it fits in with the stage version, but if I remember correctly, Nancy sings the song as a distraction tactic so she can get Oliver away from Bill Sykes. So, in that regard, it's necessary to the plot.

"Dancing Thru Life" from Wicked, as has been already mentioned, is absolutely CRUCIAL to the story because so many plot points and character development occur in those 10 or 15 minutes. If you took that song out, nothing that takes place after would make any sense.

"Word of advice: Be who you are, wear what you want---just learn how to run real fast." Marc, UGLY BETTY

vmlinnie
#55re: songs without any relevance to the musical
Posted: 2/23/07 at 11:17am

I was in a professional production of Oliver a couple of years ago. Now, I was only ten years old, so forgive me if my memory is lacking, but I don't recall Bill Sikes even being there when she sings Oom Pah Pah, nevermind Oliver. I thought it was just a drinking song.

The rain we knew is a thing of the past -
deep-delving, dark, deliberate you would say
browsing on spire and bogland; but today
our sky-blue slates are steaming in the sun,
our yachts tinkling and dancing in the bay
like racehorses. We contemplate at last
shining windows, a future forbidden to no one.

Derek Mahon

"Maybe all one can do is hope to end up with the right regrets."

Arthur Miller

LoringsGuy
#56re: songs without any relevance to the musical
Posted: 2/23/07 at 11:31am

Like I said, I've only seen the movie, and Bill Sykes and Oliver are definitely there. Nancy sings the song to engage the crowd and create a distraction. It could've been just a drinking song in the stage version, in which case the powers-that-be on the film made a smart choice by utilizing it to advance the plot.

"Word of advice: Be who you are, wear what you want---just learn how to run real fast." Marc, UGLY BETTY

BDrischBDemented
#57re: songs without any relevance to the musical
Posted: 2/23/07 at 12:09pm

"Oom-pah-pah" was just a drinking song in the stage show thrown in to give Nancy more to do and open Act 2. It's a fun song to open with, but had it been cut from the stage show, it wouldn't have been a big deal. In the movie, it was given a purpose, which was clever on their part.

"Your lyrics lack subtlety! You can't just have your characters announce how they feel! That makes me feel angry!"

dirty rotten guy Profile Photo
dirty rotten guy
#58re: songs without any relevance to the musical
Posted: 2/23/07 at 12:55pm

You did NOT just say "The Ladies Who Lunch".

Did you pay ANY attention to the following scene?!

"The hallmark of aristocracy is responsibility. Oh brother, that got me, that did me in!"

ClumsyDude15 Profile Photo
ClumsyDude15
#59re: songs without any relevance to the musical
Posted: 2/23/07 at 1:07pm

"Who's Got The Pain?-DAMN YANKEES "

Its to set up the "show" for Joe Hardy.
Its part of the fan club appercation thing at the end of ACT 1.
It just shows the fan clubs, and how Lola has created one.
[That and the HEART [reprise] fit to show the fan clubs ]

"Anybody that goes to the theater, I think we’re all misfits, so we ended up on stage or in the audience.” --- Patti LuPone.

jonartdesigns Profile Photo
jonartdesigns
#60re: songs without any relevance to the musical
Posted: 2/23/07 at 2:18pm

Urban- "A little bit of good" in chicago, while annoying introduces mary sunshine (not to mention giving the actor playing billy some time to breathe before he does "we both reached for the gun"

"Grease," the fourth revival of the season, is the worst show in the history of theater and represents an unparalleled assault on Western civilization and its values. - Michael Reidel

#61re: songs without any relevance to the musical
Posted: 2/23/07 at 6:42pm

Nearly every Rodgers and HArt song? I guess old style musicals don't count...

All I Need is the Girl in Gypsy? the thing is I would hate seeing a Gypsy without the song and I trhink it adds to Lousie's feelings but...

Rose_MacShane Profile Photo
Rose_MacShane
#62re: songs without any relevance to the musical
Posted: 2/23/07 at 6:50pm

Who's Got The Pain was originally written into Damn Yankees to showcase Gwen Verdon. It's irrelevant, and, let's be honest, the fan club stuff is pretty pointless, too.

http://community.livejournal.com/ltd_brands_suck/

#63re: songs without any relevance to the musical
Posted: 2/23/07 at 6:54pm

Wa Steam Heat already mentioned?

the thing is these kinda moments/songs are IMHO partly why I love musicals--even though I don't want a show like Passion to have a Steam Heat--you know what I mean
Updated On: 2/23/07 at 06:54 PM

Julian2
#64re: songs without any relevance to the musical
Posted: 2/23/07 at 7:19pm

Feed the Birds - Mary Poppins
A Spoonful of Sugar - Mary Poppins

I have several names, one is Julian2. I am also The Opps Girl. But cross me, and I become Bitch Dooku!

thevolleyballer
#65re: songs without any relevance to the musical
Posted: 2/23/07 at 7:30pm

Some songs are just there for fun, with really nothing added to the plot. Most of the songs named in the first post were, in fact, important songs. Unimportant songs that don't add plot would be:

"Show Off" from Drowsy Chaperone -- It, of course, adds characterization, but for plot, it does nothing.
"Mama Says (You Can't Back Down" from Footloose
"Everyone's A Little Bit Racist" from Avenue Q
"(The Legend Of) Miss Baltimore Crabs" from Hairspray

They are, of course, character songs, but every song out there is a character song, so long as a character is singing it.

xM3L24x Profile Photo
xM3L24x
#66re: songs without any relevance to the musical
Posted: 2/23/07 at 7:41pm

"Spring Awakening - Mama Who Bore Me, Mama Who Bore Me (Reprise), My Junk, Touch Me, And Then There Were None, I Believe, Blue Wind, The Word of Your Body (Reprise), The Song of Purple Summer"

How can you say 'And Then There Were None' has NO relevance to the musical? It's Moritz' mother responding to his letter where he hints at killing himself. It shows how Moritz is very unstable and foreshadows his suicide.

misschung
#67re: songs without any relevance to the musical
Posted: 2/23/07 at 7:51pm

I'm laughing out loud about the "Feed the Birds" entry because it's totally true.

Also, I second "Miss Baltimore Crabs" from Hairspray. I think it's meant to be a funny little side thing, but definetly the weak link of the show.

The morning star always gets wonderful bright the minute before it has to go --doesn't it?

roseaddams Profile Photo
roseaddams
#68re: songs without any relevance to the musical
Posted: 2/23/07 at 10:10pm

The scene following The Ladies Who Lunch is incredibly important -- but the song doesn't lead into it at all. The song happens, then Bobby starts talking to Joanne, who isn't speaking to him because she's just come to a harsh realization. Joanne's proposition of Bobby, which leads to his breakthrough, does not derive from that song at all.

"You mean what was the best picture of the year or what did they pick as the best picture of the year?" - California Suite

goldenstate5
#69re: songs without any relevance to the musical
Posted: 2/23/07 at 11:15pm

Um, guys, stop mentioning the Drowsy Chaperone. I mentioned it as a joke, because, especially with "As We Stumble Along" and "Show Off", they really aren't meant to deal with a plot because it isn't SUPPOSED to be a great show in terms of writing. It, as the Man in Chair explains, was mainly about showing off the actors' talents, and nothing else.

I also am going to chime in another entry, "Sit Down, You're Rocking the Boat" in Guys and Dolls is completely irrelevant. The scene carries on after like it would've without a big show-stopper in the middle of it, almost as if it never happened in the first place...

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#70re: songs without any relevance to the musical
Posted: 2/23/07 at 11:54pm

LITTLE LAMB is soooo relevant.

All the songs from JERSEY BOYS are irrelevant.
(and i quess that's the point)

wickedrentq Profile Photo
wickedrentq
#71re: songs without any relevance to the musical
Posted: 2/24/07 at 1:14pm

Krupe is relevant to WSS, aside from the fact that it adds some humor to the tension. Though it doesn't directly affect the intense action and tension of the second act, it serves as important commentary on the situation--the police/adults are completely clueless when it comes to handling these "juvenile deliquents"--and they're well aware. This completely coincides with the last visual pose of the musical--the gangs have walked out, and all the adults stand on the stage, looking at each other, completely clueless has to handle any of this. It's an important theme of WSS, and an important underlying in all the action that goes on.

I want to disagree with Sit Down You're Rocking the Boat, but thinking about it, you are right.

Feed the Birds has very important plot relevance! For the movie, Mary instills the idea of feeding the birds, so Michael won't give his toppins to the bank because he wants to feed the birds, that's what starts the whole problem at the bank and results in Mr. Banks' almost firing, and eventual character change.

I'll Share It With You and Who Do You Love I Hope don't seem to serve that big a function in Annie Get Your Gun, aside to give those characters something to sing, and to be a bitch to the musicians. re: songs without any relevance to the musical Old fashioned wedding kind of feels the same way, since as soon as the song is over, they decide not to get married. Moonshine Lullaby is my favorite song, but really serves no plot relevance. I don't think Sun in the morning is that important either, except for a huge dance break.

My favorite song in Guys and Dolls may not be that important either--More I Cannot Wish You. i guess it serves some purpose, encouraging Sarah to accept/love Sky.

I'm not sure that Ascot Gavrotte is essential in MFL. I guess it establishes the class distinctions and the world Eliza is trying to get into, but it doesn't need to be described in song. Plus, I don't like it.

Though I really like it, Wishing You Were Somehow Here Again isn't essential to Phantom. I mean, we know Christine misses her father. It's nice to get her to get the grave for Wandering Child, but she didn't need to sing. It's mostly a show-off song for Christine.

That's enough for now. There's definitely more I can name.

"If there was a Mount Rushmore for Broadway scores, "West Side Story" would be front and center. It snaps, it crackles it pops! It surges with a roar, its energy and sheer life undiminished by the years" - NYPost reviewer Elisabeth Vincentelli

brooklynbecca Profile Photo
brooklynbecca
#72re: songs without any relevance to the musical
Posted: 2/26/07 at 5:51pm

"Lonely Goatherd" from Sound of Music

Neverandy Profile Photo
Neverandy
#73re: songs without any relevance to the musical
Posted: 2/26/07 at 6:12pm

Re: What a Game-IT is for character development of Father trying to actually be a father to his son instead of being self absorbed.

One song of no relevance that comes to my mind is "Those Magic Changes" in Grease. It neither moves the plot along nor reveals anything about the character singing it.

Other than that, did you enjoy the play Mrs Lincoln?

Sant
#74re: songs without any relevance to the musical
Posted: 2/26/07 at 6:31pm

"Another Suitcase In Another Hall" - EVITA. A pretty song, yes. A hit, yes. Relevant to the plot or the character? No. Could the song be cut and the show would still remain the same? Yes.

This one doesn't add anything to the plot. The only thing it reveals about the mistress is sad to be dumped. And that doesn't have any relevance to the story. Seems to me that the only relevance to the show this song has, is that it allowes the actess playing Eva change costume (and wig?) and have a couple of minutes off stage.

Videos