News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

2018 Drama Desk Nominations & Awards- Page 4

2018 Drama Desk Nominations & Awards

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#752018 Drama Desk Nominations & Awards
Posted: 4/26/18 at 6:48pm

TFMH18 said: "^In the universe in which Band's Visit does not exist, best musical SpongeBob SquarePants would in fact be very possible in this strange season. But alas, THAT universe does not exist, so in that case nor does that possibility."

Isn't Band's Visit ineligible because it was nominated when it was Off-Broadway last season?

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#762018 Drama Desk Nominations & Awards
Posted: 4/26/18 at 8:26pm

JayG 2 said: "LaChanse???? What is that all about?"

That's not even her name. 

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#772018 Drama Desk Nominations & Awards
Posted: 4/26/18 at 8:29pm

haterobics said: "TFMH18 said: "^In the universe in which Band's Visit does not exist, best musical SpongeBob SquarePants would in fact be very possible in this strange season. But alas, THAT universe does not exist, so in that case nor does that possibility."

Isn't Band's Visit ineligible because it was nominated when it was Off-Broadway last season?
"

I don't know if you're kidding, because it has been mentioned 5 times in this thread already. 

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#782018 Drama Desk Nominations & Awards
Posted: 4/26/18 at 9:27pm

blaxx said: "I don't know if you're kidding, because it has been mentioned 5 times in this thread already."

I figure if people keep bringing up it being overlooked, we have to keep coming up with different ways to explain it wasn't, heh.

henrikegerman Profile Photo
henrikegerman
#792018 Drama Desk Nominations & Awards
Posted: 4/27/18 at 5:11am

Almost everyone seems to agree that this year's Tony for best musical may well go to either Katrina Lenk or Lauren Ambrose or Hailee Kilgore.  I have yet to see Kilgore in OOTI, but IMHO both Ambrose and Lenk are giving sensational performances and Tony couldn't go wrong either way.

Neither Lenk (last year) nor Ambrose (this year) nor Kilgore (this year) got even a nomination for the Drama Desk.

Updated On: 4/27/18 at 05:11 AM

ScottyDoesn'tKnow2
#802018 Drama Desk Nominations & Awards
Posted: 4/27/18 at 9:24am

It is sort of wild that there is absolutely no overlap between the Outer Critics Circle Awards and the Drama Desk when it came to Best Actress in the Musical. On these forums, the talk is all about Lenk with Ambrose possibly playing spoiler and Kilgore receiving a nomination. Then the talk for the other two spots were between the Mean Girls and the Frozen actresses with the possibility of Mueller and LaChanze getting in. OCC seemed to follow the more conventional wisdom on this forum and nominated all Tony-eligible nominees while the Drama Desk Awards went in a completely different direction only nominated two Tony-eligible candidates and neither of the two were included among the five candidates that OCC nominated. It'll be interesting to see what will happen come Tony time. 

Updated On: 4/27/18 at 09:24 AM

TFMH18 Profile Photo
TFMH18
#812018 Drama Desk Nominations & Awards
Posted: 4/27/18 at 10:15am

It is interesting that all three sure bets for the Tony leading actress (Lenk, Kilgore, Ambrose) were not nominated for the Drama Desk. I do believe if Lenk were eligible this year she of course would have been but, nevertheless, what's true is true. I think there is still little suspense as to who will take it Tony night (Lenk), but there is a bit more uncertainty than the last two years, which is exciting.

VintageSnarker
#822018 Drama Desk Nominations & Awards
Posted: 5/22/18 at 12:58pm

Any word on whether they're going to livestream the show again this year?

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#832018 Drama Desk Nominations & Awards
Posted: 5/22/18 at 2:10pm

VintageSnarker said: "Any word on whether they're going to livestream the show again this year?"

I haven't seen any news either way on this, but as far as I'm aware, they've been doing it pretty consistently for several years, so I would assume they're doing it again this year. 

Videos