News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Tony Award Nominations

LaCageAuxFollesFan Profile Photo
LaCageAuxFollesFan
#75re: Tony Award Wins 2006
Posted: 1/22/06 at 10:49am

Spelling mistake corrected.

And FOSTER: Yes, I am on the same exact page you are with Fields/Withers-Mendes. Fields is GREAT, and fantastic in her role as is Jill Paice in WOMAN IN WHITE and Lauren Molina in SWEENY TODD, but Withers-Mendes has the material to topple them all and she is downright FANTASTIC at it. Her acting, songs, and dancing all just scream: tony, Tony, TONY!

Kicks8567
#76re: Tony Award Wins 2006
Posted: 1/22/06 at 11:48am

I think this year will be unpredictable in every category. But you have to remember that Hugh Panaro might very well be nominated for Leading Actor for Lestat, even though the show was not well-received. The Wedding Singer and Tarzan also seem to be possibilities this season. Thus far my predictions are:

Best Musical- "The Color Purple"
Best Musical Revival- "Sweeney Todd"
Best Actor in a Musical- John lloyd Young
Best Actress in a Musical- LaChanze
Best Featured Actor in a Musical- Michael Ball
Beast Featured Actress in a Musical- Felicia Fields
Best Play- "Rabbit Hole"
Best Revival of a Play- "Three Days of Rain"
Best Actor in a Play- Anthony Sher
Best Actress in a Play- Julia Roberts
Best Featured Actor in a Play- Not Sure
Best Featured Actress in a Play- Tyne Daly

Sumofallthings Profile Photo
Sumofallthings
#77re: Tony Award Wins 2006
Posted: 1/22/06 at 12:35pm

I'd be extremely hesitant to consider Michael Cerveris a lock for Best Actor. He just won a Tony Award for a revival of a Sondheim show two seasons ago and such a win weighs heavily on voters minds. I think someone such as John Lloyd Young has a better chance if just for the fact that he hasn't won before.

BSoBW2: I punched Sondheim in the face after I saw Wicked and said, "Why couldn't you write like that!?"

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#78re: Tony Award Wins 2006
Posted: 1/22/06 at 12:54pm

I'd like to see Maria Friedman win for Best Actress. She is such a dynamo performer and an amazing all-around woman. She deserves more than a Tony award. She was phenomenally good in WIW.

Character Actor Profile Photo
Character Actor
#79re: Tony Award Wins 2006
Posted: 1/22/06 at 2:02pm

What is the new category at the Tonys? Like best replacement (of course worded MUCH better lol) or something? And what are the stipulations?

thanks for the help!

FoscasBohemianDream
#80re: Tony Award Wins 2006
Posted: 1/22/06 at 3:40pm

The new category is extremely ambiguous. I am too lazy to go on broadway.com and find the article explaining the rules but I'm sure if you go on tonyawards.com you'll find them. From what I can remember, the role must have been eligible for best actor/actress in the original season it opened, the actor must be hired for 6 months in the show, he/she couldn't have played the role in the original production, there are no nominations announced, more than one actor can win the same year, and it can also be the case that no award is given in a particular season.

I think the Best Actress in a Play category is going to be one of the best, Julia Roberts, Cynthia Nixon, Amanda Peet, and Jill Clayburgh in the same category should be promising.
Does anyone think Will Chase or Terrence Mann have any chances of getting nominations for Lennon? The show was a disaster, in my opinion, but the critics singled them out as the only reason the show wasn't unbearable which is my opinion as well. I hope at least Will Chase will get recognized for his great work.

Rellaax Profile Photo
Rellaax
#81re: Tony Award Wins 2006
Posted: 1/25/06 at 7:15pm

I agree with you DD... Christian Hoff is most deserving of a Tony nomination for his portrayal of Tommy DeVito in Jersey Boys. Christian is amazing and completely carries the entire first act. Tommy DeVito is the reason the Four Seasons came to be and the most intriguing character in the show in my opinion.

Broadway_Boy
#82re: Tony Award Wins 2006
Posted: 1/25/06 at 7:24pm

The Caine Mutiny Court-Martial might win best play revival
David Schwimmer might win best actor in a play

Check out the app Todaytix if you haven't already for theatre tickets around the world. My referral code is DGHVR

FoscasBohemianDream
#83re: Tony Award Wins 2006
Posted: 1/25/06 at 9:48pm

Schwimmer would have to give the best performance of his career if he wants to win over Anthony Sher for Primo.

Cages or Wings
#84re: Tony Award Wins 2006
Posted: 1/25/06 at 10:40pm

It's so early at this point that i think we're getting ahead of ourselves. Who knows what will be open by the time Tony time comes around, and how all these shows will end up. That said i realize this is more for interesting conversation than accuracy, so....

I just want to add to the Manoel Felciano for best featured Actor campaign. He is so unbelievably good, and i hope he gets some well deserved recognition. I'm loving the Sweeney buzz.

TimeSuckage
#85re: Tony Award Wins 2006
Posted: 1/26/06 at 1:28pm

This replacement category is really nauseating. It's just a cheap ploy to help producers lure stars into jumping into existing shows without having to offer them the opening and the chance to be on the OBC recording. All this is going to do is take away opportunities from talent who are well known in the theater community but not "names". It's like, instead of having Shoshana or Eden take over for Idina, they'll approach a big name and dangle the replacement Tony as a carrot.

If Julia Roberts is able to walk and talk at the same time, she's won the Tony.

I can't see Michael Cerveris beating JLY. Stranger things have happened, but I just can't see it. Not after JLY's unbelievable reviews.

hen88
#86re: Tony Award Wins 2006
Posted: 1/26/06 at 1:43pm

I don't have any idea who will actually win this year. It's a hopelessly political game that is almost impossible to predict before less than half the new shows even open. So far, my hope is that Sweeney will get everything, even though it's not at all realistic. But I think that both LuPone and Cerveris have more than decent shots at their respective awards. I really hope The Color Purple doesn't get anything because I thought it was one of the worst shows I've ever seen on Bway. And if it wins best musical or the book or score award... let's just say that I won't be happy. There has to be something better out there. The fact that I'm hoping that The Wedding Singer and Tarzan will be critical hits really says something. We'll see what happens.

I think that the plays are a complete toss-up at this point.
Updated On: 1/26/06 at 01:43 PM

Ourtime992 Profile Photo
Ourtime992
#87re: Tony Award Wins 2006
Posted: 1/26/06 at 1:48pm

I haven't heard the Wedding Singer score myself, but based on what I heard of The Rhythm Club, Sklar and Beguelin are talented guys. I'd love to see up-and-comers like them snag a Best Score Tony.

Wanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
#88re: Tony Award Wins 2006
Posted: 1/28/06 at 3:01am

hen88, you failed to mention Jersey Boys. If you haven't seen it and you get a chance, check it out. It might change your predictions. And regardless, it's a thoroughly enjoyable show worth taking a look at.

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)
Updated On: 1/28/06 at 03:01 AM

AlmostFamous Profile Photo
AlmostFamous
#89re: Tony Award Wins 2006
Posted: 1/28/06 at 8:58am

I'm hoping WIW wins something! I loved it! Maria and Michael deserve a tony. AS well as the rest of the cast like Angela and Jill.

SingOutLoud928 Profile Photo
SingOutLoud928
#90re: Tony Award Wins 2006
Posted: 1/29/06 at 11:11pm

Sweeney Todd.
Patti, and Michael should definately be nominated and win also.

bestnurse Profile Photo
bestnurse
#91re: Tony Award Wins 2006
Posted: 1/29/06 at 11:30pm

Woman in White but The Color Purple will probably win since Divine Miss Oprah has her hands all over it and with all the politics involved she will certainly pull something for her fragile ego.

Wanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
#92re: Tony Award Wins 2006
Posted: 1/29/06 at 11:34pm

Oprah has no ins whatsoever with the American Theater Wing or the Tony voters themself. What has she done for American Musical Theater that she deserves to be favored? Nothing. She'll be equally considered among the others.

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)

bestnurse Profile Photo
bestnurse
#93re: Tony Award Wins 2006
Posted: 1/29/06 at 11:37pm

Sure. Don't be so naive.

Videos