News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Next Disney Musical

Katie2 Profile Photo
Katie2
#75re: Next Disney Musical
Posted: 6/22/06 at 6:13pm

1. Hunchback
2. Pocahontas
3. Hercules
4. Aladdin

I was going to put "The Little Mermaid" on there until I found out that it's already going to be put on broadway.

waddledee524 Profile Photo
waddledee524
#76re: Next Disney Musical
Posted: 6/22/06 at 7:11pm

I'm all for Hercules. It would be nice to have a reminder of who exactly put the 'glad' in 'gladiator'.

Hear the words I sing: war's a horrid thing. So, I sing sing sing... Ding a ling a ling.

moosepower93
#77re: Next Disney Musical
Posted: 6/22/06 at 7:47pm

they actually are going to put high school musical on broadway (or altleast try.

personally i think that thw little mermaid is going to be not stupid....but...... weird or not very good. they're gonna have to have some amazing sets and costumes.

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#78re: Next Disney Musical
Posted: 6/22/06 at 7:54pm

I totally agree with whoever said Nightmare before christmas. That is an amazing movie that would make an amazing stage musical.

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

millie_dillmount Profile Photo
millie_dillmount
#79re: Next Disney Musical
Posted: 6/22/06 at 9:59pm

If they want to take "drag queen" out of the Wedding Singer to make the show more suitable for kids, then why would Harvey play Ursula in a Disney show? As much as I wouldn't mind seeing that lol.

Norbert Leo Butz as Eric? What happened to Gavin Creel?

I like the idea of Lea Salonga playing Mulan. After all, she did provide the singing voice in the movie. I actually like her "Reflection" more than Christina Aguilera's. Lea Salonga's is more youthful and pleasant sounding.

"We like to snark around here. Sometimes we actually talk about theater...but we try not to let that get in our way." - dramamama611

I<3bway Profile Photo
I<3bway
#80re: Next Disney Musical
Posted: 7/1/06 at 6:16pm

Hercules
Mulan
Oliver and Company
Toy Story

ActingAndy
#81re: Next Disney Musical
Posted: 7/1/06 at 6:21pm

Newsies would be great, but they wouldn't want to put the money up for all the kids in the show. They should try it out for vcommunity and high school productions though.
I heard the Aladdin fell through...

Dare2DefyGravity
#82re: Next Disney Musical
Posted: 7/1/06 at 10:21pm

They might have trouble doing Hercules... with all the titans and large scaled creatures that were in the movie... but it's Disney... so who knows.

And Sara Ramirez for Ursula in the Little Mermaind...

BwayBaby18 Profile Photo
BwayBaby18
#83re: Next Disney Musical
Posted: 7/1/06 at 10:26pm

Hercules.....

I say Chris Sieber and Susan Egan as Herc and Meg
aw, a Triumph of Love reunion.

ps. Sara wouldn't show up.

tourboi
#84re: Next Disney Musical
Posted: 7/1/06 at 10:31pm

Whoever suggested ALLADIN...it's already a stage musical at disneyland (decent production, too), and you can liscence the rights for schools.

And as for Country Bear Jamboree...didn't we already have that on Broadway? Oh, no, sorry, that was Ring Of Fire. re: Next Disney Musical

anthonycbaron@mac.co Profile Photo
anthonycbaron@mac.co
#85re: Next Disney Musical
Posted: 7/1/06 at 10:56pm

I am very worried about Little Mermaid, however since it is musically stronger than Tarzan as well as story-wise as a musical better than Tarzan I have less worries than I probably should. I fear very much for Mr. Slater having to compete with Howard Ashman's lyrics, even Tim Rice at times couldn't fill the shoes.

I think Mary Poppins is going to be Spectacular based on the cast recording I have from London. It might not run as long as Beauty & The Beast but it should be successful for about 3 years I would imgine.

What Dinsey needs is a show to replace Lion King...

What could come after Marry Poppins & Little Mermaid? I agree that Hunchback of Notre Dame would be perfect if they made it even more severe than the German Production and wrote more original songs, possibly close to sung through. Let's face it, with Menken & Schwartz doing Hunchback disney really is sitting on a gold mine of critical and viewer acclaim. That show, if done correctly could possibly become Broadway's next Phantom of The Opera or Les Miserables. Let's face it, American audiences love it when French novels are dumbed down for them to understand.

Newsies is another project I could get really excited about, however it would of course need to be completely reworked.

If High School Musical got almost all new songs (with a score done by Menken or another "disney staple" or established composer (Maybe ALW he's kind of desperate right now) I could see it being very lucrative. The story certainly is cute enough and it contains a few enjoyable characters, the one thing i don't see how they could emulate a gym like how there is in the movie and have it be received well.

What about using the connection with Touchstone Television to launch a musical based on Desperate Housewives or Commander In Chief? re: Next Disney Musical

Pochahantas is a DEBACLE saved by a decent score, I can't imagine why Disney would want to put it on Broadway.

Disney really needs to develop original broadway material rather than attempting to live their 1990s glory days on the stage. Let's face it, not all of these projects could possibly work, the two Menken/Ashman ones can very well because they were designed to, but even Aladdin & beyond is kind of a struggle without reworking and doing a Cameron MacIntosh version of events.

triplethreat Profile Photo
triplethreat
#86re: Next Disney Musical
Posted: 7/2/06 at 12:40am

I think they should do HURCULES! that would be so COOL!

everythingtaboo Profile Photo
everythingtaboo
#87re: Next Disney Musical
Posted: 7/4/06 at 8:39pm

I say Pocahontas, only if Whoopi Goldberg came out like she at the Oscars and asks, "What colour is my wind?"

"Hey little girls, look at all the men in shiny shirts and no wives!" - Jackie Hoffman, Xanadu, 19 Feb 2008
Updated On: 7/4/06 at 08:39 PM

OzarkElphaba Profile Photo
OzarkElphaba
#88re: Next Disney Musical
Posted: 7/4/06 at 8:55pm

Well, since Mermaid is due out...and hopefully with Emily Skinner as Ursula...my next thought would be Hocus Pocus, or Nightmare (both already mentioned) Nightmare's only really tricky moment is the removal of Jack's head during "Jack's Lament" but I'm sure something could be figured out. And Hocus is wickedly entertaining...although witch/vampire musicals (Wicked aside) don't sit well with NYC audiences, so who knows.

jacobsnchz14 Profile Photo
jacobsnchz14
#89re: Next Disney Musical
Posted: 12/7/10 at 11:40am

My cousin said she would like to see POCAHONTAS with Nicole Scherzinger in the title role. What do y'all think? lol.

Orangesaretuesdays
#90re: Next Disney Musical
Posted: 12/7/10 at 5:29pm

haha maybe but Aladdin has been confirmed.

jacobsnchz14 Profile Photo
jacobsnchz14
#91re: Next Disney Musical
Posted: 12/7/10 at 9:34pm

@Orangesaretuesdays HAHA! Now she says Nicole could play Jasmine!! lol.

CandiceElyse Profile Photo
CandiceElyse
#92re: Next Disney Musical
Posted: 12/7/10 at 10:02pm

SO excited for aladdin, but im still praying for the newsies to come to broadway :)

Judy Garland & Gene Kelly <3

BwyLuvr
#93re: Next Disney Musical
Posted: 12/7/10 at 10:34pm

I'm hoping for Hunchback.

And in no particular order: The Producers; Dirty Rotten Scoundrels; Legally Blonde; God of Carnage; A Steady Rain; Hairspray; Grey Gardens; Spamalot; Jersey Boys; The Odd Couple; Curtains; 39 Steps; Jersey Boys; Doubt; Rent; Mamma Mia; Chicago; Cats; Next to Normal; Memphis; Addams Family; Billy Elliot; Rock of Ages; La Cage aux Folles; Catch Me If You Can; Book of Mormon; Spider-Man; Sister Act; Master Class; How to Succeed...; Priscilla Queen of the Desert; War Horse; Once: Peter and the Starcatcher; Porgy and Bess: One Man Two Guvnors

Dre2387 Profile Photo
Dre2387
#94re: Next Disney Musical
Posted: 12/8/10 at 3:20am

It's Dumbo.

no joke. read it in backstage mag. under: workshops, in development, etc.

EDIT: " Dumbo, a stage version of the 1941 animated film. The New York Post reports that Disney is in talks with directors to bring it to Broadway. No dates or creative team as of yet."

http://www.backstage.com/bso/production-listings/new-york-production-listings-1004133438.story

<--- the set of A Midsummer Night's Dream that I was assistant stage manager for during the 2007 season at the STNJ outdoor stage.

-Dre-
You must remember all the same that at the crux of every game is knowing when it's time to leave the table... And it's important to be artful in your exit. No turning back, you must accept the con is done... It was a ball, it was a blast. And it's a shame it couldn't last. But every chapter has to end, you must agree.
~Dirty Rotten Scoundrels~

There's a special kind of people known as show people. We live in a world full of dreams. Sometimes we're not too certain what's false and what's real. But we're seldom in doubt about what we feel.
~Curtains~

It is a far, far better thing I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest I go to, than I have ever known.
~A Tale of Two Cities ~
Updated On: 12/8/10 at 03:20 AM

Overkill Profile Photo
Overkill
#95re: Next Disney Musical
Posted: 12/8/10 at 7:50am

Dumbo is next, and Aladdin and Newsies are seriously in the work, Newsies more so than Aladdin.

I think Dumbo is an inspired choice. Right off you're like "Wtf?" but when you think about it, you know they have a big vision. Especially if they're going to bring a movie that only runs an hour long to Broadway. They have BIG plans for it, and I think it could be really good. Then again, it could be really bad. You never know. But right now, you can count me among the very few who are excited to see what turns out!

jamiekennywicked Profile Photo
jamiekennywicked
#96re: Next Disney Musical
Posted: 12/8/10 at 8:17am

I'd love to see how Dumbo transfers to the stage. Off topic, but what where peoples thoughts on The Little Mermaid musical?

''With the number of people I ignore, I'm lucky I work at all in this town'' - Helena Bonham Carter

JMPlayer6 Profile Photo
JMPlayer6
#97re: Next Disney Musical
Posted: 12/8/10 at 12:26pm

I saw "Tangled" last night, and thought that it would make a great stage musical.

GlindatheGood22  Profile Photo
GlindatheGood22
#98re: Next Disney Musical
Posted: 12/8/10 at 9:27pm

I'm guessing they're gonna have to do something about the overtly racist crows in Dumbo.

I know you. I know you. I know you.

Videos