News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

STREEP TO PLAY MRS. LOVETT IN FILM!! -- I heard it from someone in LA who w- Page 4

STREEP TO PLAY MRS. LOVETT IN FILM!! -- I heard it from someone in LA who w

TheaterJunkie
#75re: It's OFFICIAL-- STREEP TO PLAY MRS. LOVETT IN FILM!!
Posted: 9/16/06 at 11:21am

Streep is amazing and I think she could pull off almost any role, I think someone else could play Mrs. Lovett better. Even though it's very unlikely (on the verge of impossible), It would crack me up to see Bernadette Peters in this role! But, I agree she is too nice to play Mrs. Lovett.

Rathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
#76re: It's OFFICIAL-- STREEP TO PLAY MRS. LOVETT IN FILM!!
Posted: 9/16/06 at 11:29am

First of all, it's Sweeney Todd. Being able to "more than carry a tune" is not quite enough.

Secondly, what's with all this "Bernadette is too nice" stuff? It's called acting. She's done it before.

Have I ever shown you my Shattered Dreams box? It's in my Disappointment Closet. - Marge Simpson

GClef2 Profile Photo
GClef2
#77re: It's OFFICIAL-- STREEP TO PLAY MRS. LOVETT IN FILM!!
Posted: 9/16/06 at 12:01pm

I think Glenn Close could have been great, but Im excited for Streep...

She looked fabulous is the Devil Wears Prada...

"The only way we live beyond our lives is to connect and carve ourselves into the souls of those we love." -Little Fish

Rathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
#78re: It's OFFICIAL-- STREEP TO PLAY MRS. LOVETT IN FILM!!
Posted: 9/16/06 at 12:03pm

I'd rather Streep than Close. At least Streep's voice doesn't sound like a thousand cats in pain.

Have I ever shown you my Shattered Dreams box? It's in my Disappointment Closet. - Marge Simpson

devonian.t Profile Photo
devonian.t
#79re: It's OFFICIAL-- STREEP TO PLAY MRS. LOVETT IN FILM!!
Posted: 9/16/06 at 12:08pm

Rathnait, I'm quite familiar with the show's score thank you.

Mrs Lovett is a character part, which Angela Lansbury pulled off without having been trained as a classical singer. Meryl Streep seems quite qualified to meet the demands of the role.

I'll be careful with my understatement next time.

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#80re: It's OFFICIAL-- STREEP TO PLAY MRS. LOVETT IN FILM!!
Posted: 9/16/06 at 12:09pm

"...a thousand cats in pain."

Ouch! Slap! Whack!! Punch!!!

Hey, wouldn't that be perfect for "Mrs. Mooney" if it was a singing part?

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22

MrMidwest Profile Photo
MrMidwest
#81re: It's OFFICIAL-- STREEP TO PLAY MRS. LOVETT IN FILM!!
Posted: 9/16/06 at 12:12pm

I'm pretty sure that Streep could sing the score without any changes.

"The gods who nurse this universe think little of mortals' cares. They sit in crowds on exclusive clouds and laugh at our love affairs. I might have had a real romance if they'd given me a chance. I loved him, but he didn't love me. I wanted him, but he didn't want me. Then the gods had a spree and indulged in another whim. Now he loves me, but I don't love him." - Cole Porter

Rathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
#82re: It's OFFICIAL-- STREEP TO PLAY MRS. LOVETT IN FILM!!
Posted: 9/16/06 at 12:12pm

Lansbury has a great deal more power to her voice than Streep has. Streep has a sweet, pretty, but ultimately weak voice.

Marguerite Chauvelin
#83re: It's OFFICIAL-- STREEP TO PLAY MRS. LOVETT IN FILM!!
Posted: 9/16/06 at 12:19pm

I think Streep would attract more people to the movie and if Sondheim is personally involved somehow (even though I'm not sure whether he will be) it should be amazing.

If Percy Blakeney were in Les Mis....

Percy: Sink me! If it isn't Javvurt!
Javert: Zsah-vair, it's pronounced Zsah-vair.
Pecry: But it's spelled J-A-V-E-R-T Javvurt.
Javert: Repeat after me Zsah...Zsah....
Percy: Oh! Zsa-Zsa! Like the Gabor sister! Well I personally have always prefered Eva.
Javert: (Looks for gun)

Rathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
#84re: It's OFFICIAL-- STREEP TO PLAY MRS. LOVETT IN FILM!!
Posted: 9/16/06 at 12:22pm

I'm still hoping for Thompson.

A girl can dream.

birdboy782
#85re: It's OFFICIAL-- STREEP TO PLAY MRS. LOVETT IN FILM!!
Posted: 9/16/06 at 12:32pm

"sweet, pretty, but ultimately weak voice"....?

Did you happen to catch Mother Courage in the park???

I was hugely impressed with her abilities in this. Her voice was excellent...strong and gutteral!! No, by no means is she considered a "typical musical theatre actress" - but thank god! That is what makes her so appealing in this project...She approaches all text from the character's perspective and doesn't go into "I-hope-my-voice-sounds-pretty-musical-theatre-La-La-Land" and mentally drops out when the music starts...as so often seems to be the case! She is a fearless TIGRESS!

Let's hope this is true....That, or would have to vote for Toni Collette...after such an impressive turn in Wild Party...

Rathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
#86re: It's OFFICIAL-- STREEP TO PLAY MRS. LOVETT IN FILM!!
Posted: 9/16/06 at 12:34pm

I did not - I have only heard her sing on film a couple of times, so that's GREAT to hear! Obviously she's been working hard. Thank you.

I like the idea of Collette as well, but she's too young.

Updated On: 9/16/06 at 12:34 PM

birdboy782
#87re: It's OFFICIAL-- STREEP TO PLAY MRS. LOVETT IN FILM!!
Posted: 9/16/06 at 12:38pm

And Stephen Sondheim did come to see her as Courage the night I was there...

Divaheath
#88re: It's OFFICIAL-- STREEP TO PLAY MRS. LOVETT IN FILM!!
Posted: 9/16/06 at 12:59pm

I think Meryl Streep would be amazing but if she is not in it what about CYNDI LAUPER??!! I think she would be fantastic!!

Kevinoes Profile Photo
Kevinoes
#89re: It's OFFICIAL-- STREEP TO PLAY MRS. LOVETT IN FILM!!
Posted: 9/16/06 at 3:05pm

Hehe, I just finished watching ANGELS IN AMERICA - again - and so I am extremely content with this news. She's one of the most versatile actresses we have out there...

Scarywarhol Profile Photo
Scarywarhol
#90re: It's OFFICIAL-- STREEP TO PLAY MRS. LOVETT IN FILM!!
Posted: 9/16/06 at 3:15pm

"I think Meryl Streep would be amazing but if she is not in it what about CYNDI LAUPER??!!"
I'd love that, too.

Fiction Writer Profile Photo
Fiction Writer
#91re: It's OFFICIAL-- STREEP TO PLAY MRS. LOVETT IN FILM!!
Posted: 9/16/06 at 4:45pm

I'm still excited to see Streep, and I hope this movie doesn't fall through.

BSoBW2
#92re: It's OFFICIAL-- STREEP TO PLAY MRS. LOVETT IN FILM!!
Posted: 9/16/06 at 6:13pm

Streep's voice is anything but weak.

And it also carries the punch of Mohammed Ali in his better days.

And the only disappointing thing about Streep as Lovett would be no Cyndi Lauper re: It's OFFICIAL-- STREEP TO PLAY MRS. LOVETT IN FILM!! Updated On: 9/16/06 at 06:13 PM

FOAnatic Profile Photo
FOAnatic
#93re: It's OFFICIAL-- STREEP TO PLAY MRS. LOVETT IN FILM!!
Posted: 9/16/06 at 6:23pm

Would Cyndi sell tickets though?

Don't get me wrong. She's a big name...but not amongst movie crowds. She may draw audiences out of the sheer intrigue to see if she can act (which we're priviledged to know already).

I could see her being cast if the supporting cast contains some bankable names.

"I love talking about nothing. It is the only thing I know anything about." - Oscar Wilde

sicetergo
#94re: It's OFFICIAL-- STREEP TO PLAY MRS. LOVETT IN FILM!!
Posted: 9/16/06 at 6:58pm

Well let's hope that these American actresses can pull off a cockney slattern, personally, I think it unlikely. Streep is far too dignified and Peters couldn't pull off an RP accent for Song and Dance (Lord knows where that was supposed to be from, probably the same inexpicable place that Lansbury got hers from).

Maybe it would be wise tocast someone who could really do it -like Collette, perhaps, or B-C or Thompson....

Michael Bennett Profile Photo
Michael Bennett
#95re: It's OFFICIAL-- STREEP TO PLAY MRS. LOVETT IN FILM!!
Posted: 9/16/06 at 7:01pm

Oh, Meryl Streep is terrible at doing accents, I forgot that. Yeah, scrap her from the list.

Rathnait62 Profile Photo
Rathnait62
#96re: It's OFFICIAL-- STREEP TO PLAY MRS. LOVETT IN FILM!!
Posted: 9/16/06 at 7:13pm

"Streep is far too dignified"

You've never seen She-Devil, I trust.

sicetergo
#97re: It's OFFICIAL-- STREEP TO PLAY MRS. LOVETT IN FILM!!
Posted: 9/16/06 at 7:16pm

Yes I did. That was a travesty.

And there's a difference between playing at slumming it and being able to convince an audience of the reality. Updated On: 9/16/06 at 07:16 PM

MrMidwest Profile Photo
MrMidwest
#98re: It's OFFICIAL-- STREEP TO PLAY MRS. LOVETT IN FILM!!
Posted: 9/16/06 at 7:23pm

She wasn't exactly dignified in Silkwood either.

"The gods who nurse this universe think little of mortals' cares. They sit in crowds on exclusive clouds and laugh at our love affairs. I might have had a real romance if they'd given me a chance. I loved him, but he didn't love me. I wanted him, but he didn't want me. Then the gods had a spree and indulged in another whim. Now he loves me, but I don't love him." - Cole Porter

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#99re: It's OFFICIAL-- STREEP TO PLAY MRS. LOVETT IN FILM!!
Posted: 9/16/06 at 7:26pm

She can't do acccents? I hope you're joking.

Her accents in SOPHIE'S CHOICE and ANGELS IN AMERICA were perfect.

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

Videos