News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Stephanie J. Block

bardolator
#100re: Stephanie J. Block
Posted: 5/6/06 at 11:10pm

Hee--Just read through this thread and thought I'd point out a few things:

1. Steph leaving Tour instead of renewing--check
2. Steph being snatched up by a new project instead of playing Elphaba on Broadway--check
3. Steph getting a project that is a driven by a single female character--check check check!
4. Steph winning a Tony for said role--remains to be seen, but I predict a big ol' CHECK!

I had the blessing of not only seeing Steph as Elphaba on the Tour, but of having her come out to my school to spend time with my students (upon which occasion she COMPLETELY won my heart) and of seeing her in concert last Saturday due the kindess of someone who gave me his ticket to Broadway Comes to Tampa--AND of hanging out with her afterwards and just chatting. Not asking questions and having them answered...just *chatting*. And it was wonderful, and she is every bit as marvelous (both as a performer and a person) as the people on this thread have said.

And I, too, have grown more dissatisfied with the OCR after hearing Steph....Just my $.03 (adjusted for inflation)

Popular Profile Photo
Popular
#101re: Stephanie J. Block
Posted: 5/7/06 at 12:03am

Wow Bard, you really know how to revive 'em!! This thread was, what, eight months old? You better make it 4 cents then, or maybe even 5... LOL

Ok, those are really great observations. Neat how they all came true so far. Glad you had such a great time in Tampa :)

#102re: Stephanie J. Block
Posted: 5/7/06 at 12:06am

Steph has won me over too..she is a DOLL! I HEART SJB!

GretchaSketh
#103re: Stephanie J. Block
Posted: 5/7/06 at 12:16am

Bard you crack me up! I LOVE that you just bumped this thread!!

I agree with number 5:) My fingers are crossed.

What is your dream role?
My dream role would be to be myself. To be performing at the Hollywood Bowl and to have an audience there just to see me, as Stephanie. They are there because they like what I do as a singer, an artist and a person (the last being the most important). I enjoy escaping and portraying other characters, but to be accepted and wanted as yourself... that's amazing! --Stephanie J. Block Just one of the many reasons I admire and respect Stephanie!!

softballmom
#104re: Stephanie J. Block
Posted: 5/7/06 at 12:25am

I love Stephanie J. Block!!!!!!!!!!!!

#105re: Stephanie J. Block
Posted: 5/7/06 at 12:29am

who?

Popular Profile Photo
Popular
#106re: Stephanie J. Block
Posted: 5/7/06 at 12:32am

yeah you heard her, she said stephanie j. block!!!!

LOL (sorry that was a joke for Gretch)

GretchaSketh
#107re: Stephanie J. Block
Posted: 5/7/06 at 12:35am

hehehehhee!!! I said new GLASSES!!!:p

What is your dream role?
My dream role would be to be myself. To be performing at the Hollywood Bowl and to have an audience there just to see me, as Stephanie. They are there because they like what I do as a singer, an artist and a person (the last being the most important). I enjoy escaping and portraying other characters, but to be accepted and wanted as yourself... that's amazing! --Stephanie J. Block Just one of the many reasons I admire and respect Stephanie!!

PaigeByPaige
#108re: Stephanie J. Block
Posted: 5/7/06 at 10:28am

She was so amazing as Liza in THE BOY FROM OZ, wish she would sing Elphaba in London instead of Ms Menzel...

All the best performers bring to their role something more, something different than what the author put on paper. That's what makes theatre live. That's why it persists. - Stephen Sondheim

bardolator
#109re: Stephanie J. Block
Posted: 5/7/06 at 11:11am

Nahhh, Steph is ready to move on and originate a new role. I love that she is so secure in her creativity that she doesn't need to rest on her laurels! (Though I WILL miss her in green.)

Still and all, it WOULD have been nice to introduce the UK to the glory that is SJB. (imagine that this is in tinytext-->) andthenthey'dgetanelphabawhocandance

Ahem. Nothing to see here. Carry on.

EDIT: By the way, I just have to say that every time a poster on here said something to the effect of "Idina is the FIRST and best Elphaba she ORIGINATED the role she is the best ever"...I groaned. Aloud.

And then read the ensuing onslaught with glee. re: Stephanie J. Block

Updated On: 5/7/06 at 11:11 AM

Popular Profile Photo
Popular
#110re: Stephanie J. Block
Posted: 5/7/06 at 2:46pm

It's Ok, Bard...

Just think about them negotiating to get Steph over to the UK to do Pirate Queen.

Smile at THAT thought!

bardolator
#111re: Stephanie J. Block
Posted: 5/7/06 at 3:05pm

I make an excellent pack mule, if she does head over the Pond for that purpose.

I'm dying to go back. I had six weeks outside Oxford and it wasn't enough (though I'll always prefer Scotland, the land of my ancestors--England/London is where the theatre is!). The only musical theatre I saw there was CATS, though I did also see _The Taming of the Shrew_ at the Barbican, with Josie Lawrence (who was wonderful!), _The Complete Works of William Shakespeare, Abridged_ with The Reduced Shakespeare Company (not sure where), and _The White Devil_ up in Stratford.... I really want to get to the Globe, now that it's restored; they weren't quite finished with it when I was last there in '96.

Topic...topic...I wonder if Steph would go (to London to do PQ). She might be on to originating yet ANOTHER role by then--guess it depends how "big" this one winds up being.

Popular Profile Photo
Popular
#112re: Stephanie J. Block
Posted: 5/7/06 at 3:09pm

Oh who said anything about her actually going?

I'm just happy with the thoughts of higher-ups begging and pleading. :) LOL

bardolator
#113re: Stephanie J. Block
Posted: 5/7/06 at 3:13pm

::snicker::

Maybe they'll do it in Ireland...shun England altogether....

Videos