News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

Free Streaming of Book of Mormon Cast Album- Page 6

Free Streaming of Book of Mormon Cast Album

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#125Free Streaming of Book of Mormon Cast Album
Posted: 5/11/11 at 12:00am

also, just found this out that starting tomorrow, Broadway.com will have a series of videos called "A Month of Mormon". a new episode will appear daily with 28 total episodes.

Broadway.com's A Month of Mormon

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#126Free Streaming of Book of Mormon Cast Album
Posted: 5/11/11 at 12:06am

^I actually saw a few of those videos- they were on Broadway.com's youtube channel. However, they were made private, so I guess someone uploaded them by mistake. Still, they were fun and pretty interesting.

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

CockeyedOptimist2 Profile Photo
CockeyedOptimist2
#127Free Streaming of Book of Mormon Cast Album
Posted: 5/11/11 at 12:13am

"What's great to me is what a MUSICAL THEATRE score this is."

I completely agree bwayfan7000, and I did appreciate the references. I just thought that there were a few too many for my taste, which took some of the originality out of it. Does that make sense? Obviously it's original in its take on these old styles, and it is delightful and funny to hear familiar melodies and structures. But for me, it was just a little over the top in its pastiche-ness (can't think of the word I'm trying to use). Don't get me wrong, I think it's a delightful score and a very easy listen, but I just wish it were a little more original-sounding.

bwayfan7000
#128Free Streaming of Book of Mormon Cast Album
Posted: 5/11/11 at 12:16am

It is coming across way more to me listening to the recording. In the theatre, I thought it was just delightful and this stuff didn't even cross my mind. I also think it's Parker/Stone's way of saying, "Hey, we know we're new here, but we're going to be very respectful to the genre." I don't think it was because of a lack of originality. But, in essence, I agree with what you're saying.

"Art, in itself, is an attempt to bring order out of chaos."-Stephen Sondheim

OlBlueEyes Profile Photo
OlBlueEyes
#129Free Streaming of Book of Mormon Cast Album
Posted: 5/11/11 at 12:24am

I never thought that I would enjoy this score so much. These guys are brilliant satirists. I just question why they have to use so much obscenity. They are probably limiting their potential audience. I'm not at all sure that this will play in Peoria.

Funny, BOM is not listed as a critic's choice of Ben Brantley or any other Times' critic in the online edition. And Brantley's review has disappeared. Not even included among his other 21 recent reviews that are available. I wonder if the Times is catching some heat from somewhere.

PopAria Profile Photo
PopAria
#130Free Streaming of Book of Mormon Cast Album
Posted: 5/11/11 at 12:31am

Lopez made references to other musicals in the Avenue Q score, too.

does anyone recall "Something's coming, something good."

I think it's awesome and it was done really well compared to Wonderland where their references were TERRIBLE!

PS. am I the only one who didn't know LOPEZ wrote Finding Nemo The Musical?! I LOVE that show's music! Especially Crush's song "Go With The Flow"
Updated On: 5/11/11 at 12:31 AM

CockeyedOptimist2
#131Free Streaming of Book of Mormon Cast Album
Posted: 5/11/11 at 12:33am

Yep, there was the "Something Coming" reference in Avenue Q, as well as "The More You Ruv Someone" being a spin on "Something Wonderful" from The King and I. There may have been others in that score, but I feel like there were a lot more musical theater references in "The Book of Mormon" score than in "Avenue Q."

BwayTday Profile Photo
BwayTday
#132Free Streaming of Book of Mormon Cast Album
Posted: 5/11/11 at 12:41am

The beginning beats of the encore totally sounds like "You Can't Stop the Beat" too.

SporkGoddess
#133Free Streaming of Book of Mormon Cast Album
Posted: 5/11/11 at 1:01am

There's a reference to "Being Alive" in Avenue Q as well, in "The Money Song."

And yeah, The Book of Mormon has more, I just like to point that one out. :)

Jimmy, what are you doing here in the middle of the night? It's almost 9 PM!
Updated On: 5/11/11 at 01:01 AM

lull89 Profile Photo
lull89
#134Free Streaming of Book of Mormon Cast Album
Posted: 5/11/11 at 1:46am

One more in Avenue Q is the end of Special is the Rose's Turn "For Me" riff, although in a slightly different context Free Streaming of Book of Mormon Cast Album

Older composers used to do the same kind of thing, except with classical composers, so it doesn't really bother me, and it's fun to realize them on repeat listens.

PopAria Profile Photo
PopAria
#135Free Streaming of Book of Mormon Cast Album
Posted: 5/11/11 at 1:47am

"Man Up" wasn't a stand-out hit when I saw the show, but I did love the medley of hits at the end of the song.
Even as I listen to the OBCR I only like Man Up for the last 2 minutes.

The TONY performance should be a medley of Hello and Two By Two and the last 1 minute and 30 seconds from Man Up. That way all of the characters will be on there. OR they could go all South Park and make the TONY performance the SPOOKY MORMON HELL DREAM. Ha.

Could you imagine HELL DREAM on the Tonys?!

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#136Free Streaming of Book of Mormon Cast Album
Posted: 5/11/11 at 1:47am

What are some of the other references in Mormon? I've only listened once and just caught Wicked, Fiddler and Lion King references. Are there a lot more than that?

BwayTday Profile Photo
BwayTday
#137Free Streaming of Book of Mormon Cast Album
Posted: 5/11/11 at 1:50am

As in direct references in lyrics or musical allusions?

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#138Free Streaming of Book of Mormon Cast Album
Posted: 5/11/11 at 2:00am

Either. You guys are making me feel like I missed a whole bunch of them.

CockeyedOptimist2
#139Free Streaming of Book of Mormon Cast Album
Posted: 5/11/11 at 2:19am

Off the top of my head:

"You And Me (But Mostly Me)"- sounds like "Defying Gravity" in Wicked...a few of the chords. It also has bits of "The Wizard and I" in there.

"Hasa Diga Eebowai"- the non-Disney version of "Hakuna Matata"

"Sal Tlay Ka Siti"- Same structure and a similar tune to "Somewhere That's Green" from Little Shop...which in turn sounds a lot like "Part of Your Word" from Little Mermaid. All of these songs are classic "I Want" songs with a girl dreaming of a place far from what she knows.

"Making Things Up Again"- As pointed out by another poster, has a similar sound to Lopez's "Life After College" from Avenue Q, but I think this is less of a reference than it is just a composer having the same sound (see above- Alan Menken wrote both "Somewhere That's Green" and "Part of Your World").

"I Believe"- it starts out with an almost too-strong reference to "I Have Confidence" from The Sound of Music. I don't have the lyrics in front of me, but "a captain with seven children, what's so fearsome about that?" becomes "a warlord _______, what's so scary (?) about that?"

"Joseph Smith American Moses"- this show's take on "Small House of Uncle Thomas Ballet" from The King and I.

I'm sure there are more that other posters could find or that I can later when I listen to the cast recording again. I really do appreciate these references and find many of them delightful, but it is just one too many for my taste.

BwayTday Profile Photo
BwayTday
#140Free Streaming of Book of Mormon Cast Album
Posted: 5/11/11 at 2:39am

I had to go back and listen to hear most of these once they were pointed out. I like them really. Just because they have these allusions doesn't mean it isn't original. It's a nice wink and nudge to Broadway but I can see how it could be viewed as a bit too much.

rufussars Profile Photo
rufussars
#141Free Streaming of Book of Mormon Cast Album
Posted: 5/11/11 at 3:07am

I'll let the pro-faith conversation slide as everyone will have a different interpretation mostly due to one's own personal feelings about a particular religion/religion in general.

As far as the references, there is quite a handful, but is that REALLY such an awful thing considering how few original scores come along these days among all the revivals and jukebox shows? What really bothers me more is the pop slant-rhyming in a good 1/3 of the score. "Days/AIDS", "late/way", "butt/c---"...and that's all in ONE song! Perhaps I'm nitpicking a bit with this (after all, Elton John, Eric Idle, Dolly Parton, and Bono & The Edge all did it due to their musical backgrounds), but I do miss the perfect-rhyme purity in musical theatre that Sondheim made a point of defining in all his works.

Incidentally, am I the only one who hears the melody of "Orlando, Orlando, I love ya, Orlando" as "Tomorrow, tomorrow, I love ya, tomorrow"?

...And so, there I was at the stage door for "Equus". The enthused avalanche of "Harry Potter" fans was literally pushing me into the barricades. As I was thrust face-first into Daniel Radcliffe's hat, I suddenly felt the thumb of a lanky gentleman behind me pressing firmly into my back. It was then that I realized that both of his hands had Playbills, and that both arms were outstretched in front of me...

CockeyedOptimist2
#142Free Streaming of Book of Mormon Cast Album
Posted: 5/11/11 at 3:13am

Yep, I heard the "Orlando"-"Tomorrow" connection, but had forgotten it.

I agree that these references are more homage than plagiarism, and I completely understand that it makes this show a tribute to Broadway musicals in general. Just for me, it was a bit much.

goldenstate5
#143Free Streaming of Book of Mormon Cast Album
Posted: 5/11/11 at 3:18am

""Making Things Up Again"- As pointed out by another poster, has a similar sound to Lopez's "Life After College" from Avenue Q, but I think this is less of a reference than it is just a composer having the same sound (see above- Alan Menken wrote both "Somewhere That's Green" and "Part of Your World")."

It actually sounds similar to "Life Outside Your Apartment", not "I Wish I Could Go to College" but I can see what you're saying. It's just that there are two brand new composers working with him here (and leading as well), so it's kind of surprising that his style would come out so strongly.
Updated On: 5/11/11 at 03:18 AM

Cape Twirl of Doom Profile Photo
Cape Twirl of Doom
#144Free Streaming of Book of Mormon Cast Album
Posted: 5/11/11 at 3:25am

"Making Things Up Again"- As pointed out by another poster, has a similar sound to Lopez's "Life After College" from Avenue Q, but I think this is less of a reference than it is just a composer having the same sound (see above- Alan Menken wrote both "Somewhere That's Green" and "Part of Your World").

The first few notes of "Making Things Up Again" reminded me of "Color & Light" from Sunday in the Park With George.

"It's Phantom meets Hamlet... Phamlet!"

CockeyedOptimist2
#145Free Streaming of Book of Mormon Cast Album
Posted: 5/11/11 at 4:06am

Yep, that was my bad. I was mixing up "Life Outside Your Apartment" with "I Wish I Could Go Back to College." I meant "Life Outside Your Apartment." Thanks for catching that!

dramarama3
#146Free Streaming of Book of Mormon Cast Album
Posted: 5/11/11 at 4:26am

There's something quite disney-ish about it. And I mean that in the best sort of way.

Formerly 'dramarama2'

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#147Free Streaming of Book of Mormon Cast Album
Posted: 5/11/11 at 6:59am

"Hasa Diga Eebowai"- the non-Disney version of "Hakuna Matata"

I think it actually sounds more like I Just Can't Wait To Be King.

strummergirl Profile Photo
strummergirl
#148Free Streaming of Book of Mormon Cast Album
Posted: 5/11/11 at 9:57am

I definitely think the Lion King references and riffs in "Hasa Diga Eebowai" were on purpose considering the boys both having certain ideas of Africa and 'Hakuna Matata' referenced during the song that is turned on its head.

I felt like almost all of the similarities in other songs from other shows definitely fit most of the songs' context.

bwayfan7000
#149Free Streaming of Book of Mormon Cast Album
Posted: 5/11/11 at 10:03am

I just listening to You and Me (But Mostly Me) again, and I now DEFINITELY see the similarities between that and Defying Gravity. Wow. But I still really think all of these similarities are clever.

"Art, in itself, is an attempt to bring order out of chaos."-Stephen Sondheim

Videos