News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

FINDING NEVERLAND Reviews- Page 6

FINDING NEVERLAND Reviews

Bilbo3 Profile Photo
Bilbo3
#125FINDING NEVERLAND Reviews
Posted: 4/16/15 at 11:32am

Which is why I don't think it's critic proof. Wicked didn't get these bad reviews.

Countdown til Jordan comes on raging about how much loves me! 3..2..1...

newintown Profile Photo
newintown
#126FINDING NEVERLAND Reviews
Posted: 4/16/15 at 11:34am

These days, when it can take 2-3 years for a show to merely break even, I'd call a 1 year, 8 month run "not very long," implying "not as along as a successful show."

GreasedLightning Profile Photo
GreasedLightning
#127FINDING NEVERLAND Reviews
Posted: 4/16/15 at 11:52am

Sidetrack, a little: Can anyone weigh in on Row A (or B) of the Rear Mezz and what the view is like from there for this show? 

If anyone is wondering, I'm looking into tickets for May and they seem so scarce. I don't know how it's happening, but it's happening. 

SmokeyLady Profile Photo
SmokeyLady
#128FINDING NEVERLAND Reviews
Posted: 4/16/15 at 11:56am

Interesting that you say they are scarce.  Hasn't it been a regular on TKTS?  And with these awful reviews; I would say it might have a decent run with the money behind it...but not become a hot ticket.

Updated On: 4/16/15 at 11:56 AM

SmokeyLady Profile Photo
SmokeyLady
#129FINDING NEVERLAND Reviews
Posted: 4/16/15 at 11:59am

And I just found plenty of seats in May, June, July.... etc... not scarce at all.  

TheatreKid3
#130FINDING NEVERLAND Reviews
Posted: 4/16/15 at 12:03pm

I think it's a little unfair to say MERMAID's closing was largely due to it's reviews.  Let's not forget that, like ALADDIN, it was the best-selling show of its season and, once its closing was announced, the entire run sold out several weeks in advance of the final performance.

From what I've been told, the lawsuit that occurred after a performer suffered what may have been a career-ending injury really impacted the show financially.  Additionally, Disney was just not very happy with the way it turned out.

With that said, would it have run longer if it had gotten raves?  I'd definitely say so.  But I think it could have run a lot longer anyway.  Disney just wanted to cut their losses.

I think NEVERLAND will do just fine for a while.  And I do think it will still be nominated over closed shows and SHOULDA for Best Musical.

GreasedLightning
#131FINDING NEVERLAND Reviews
Posted: 4/16/15 at 12:06pm

Well, I only said May. And that's because of the 6 or 7 dates I checked it seemed to be sold pretty well. That's all. 

Up In One Profile Photo
Up In One
#132FINDING NEVERLAND Reviews
Posted: 4/16/15 at 12:27pm

The folks who are buying these tickets are parents and aunts and uncles of kids who were brought up on everything Peter Pan. I saw kids dressed up in Cambridge when I saw it and I can bet dollars to donuts they were brought there on the Peter Pan brand alone. Add to that the bright whimsical press pictures and the thought of children on stage ... and a dog and reviews do not matter. Throw in a pair of TV stars and the blind buying triples. This will take the same trajectory as Matilda and do really well at the start and spike when the kids are off from school. It should not be nominated for awards but that still wont matter. cant wait to see how Harvey gets the show on the Tony's if it doesn't get nominated. 

Up In One

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#133FINDING NEVERLAND Reviews
Posted: 4/16/15 at 12:30pm

The show will probably run for a while, but these terrible reviews will still be hanging over it's head. THE ADAMS FAMILY ran for a while too. The comments about Morrison and Grammer not really being "into it" have to hurt the performers.  Why are people saying this show is "critic proof"? Is it that NEVERLAND is in the title? Or the two "TV Stars"? Lots of shows with stars have tanked, and if putting NEVERLAND in the title all shows would do this: HONEYMOON IN NEVERLAND, IT SHOULDA BEEN NEVERLAND? I also believe Weinstein is savy enough to "fix" sales and advance reports to make the show look like it is doing better than it actually is. 

GreasedLightning
#134FINDING NEVERLAND Reviews
Posted: 4/16/15 at 12:52pm

"cant wait to see how Harvey gets the show on the Tony's if it doesn't get nominated. "

He'll put up the money for them to perform, like countless other non-nominated shows in the past have done… 

neonlightsxo
#135FINDING NEVERLAND Reviews
Posted: 4/16/15 at 1:27pm

Yup, Harvey will pay for them to perform no matter what. He even paid for it last year.

Wicked is not an apt show to compare this to. Addams Family is. It got a similar pan from Brantley, yet ran at that same theater for 722 performances.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#136FINDING NEVERLAND Reviews
Posted: 4/16/15 at 1:54pm

Critic Proof meaning: it will be financially successful in spite of the critics not liking it.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

yankeefan7 Profile Photo
yankeefan7
#137FINDING NEVERLAND Reviews
Posted: 4/16/15 at 2:07pm

"The comments about Morrison and Grammer not really being "into it" have to hurt the performers."

I think that comment is probably a crock of junk, I can't picture Matthew Morrison or Kelsey grammer going thru the motions especially with a new show. Maybe I am taking the comment wrong but it does not seem right to me.

CarlAlan610
#138FINDING NEVERLAND Reviews
Posted: 4/16/15 at 2:12pm

yankeefan - I saw the show and I can tell you those comments about Morrison and Grammar are RIGHT ON! Esp when compared to Jordan and McGrath 

valeposh Profile Photo
valeposh
#139FINDING NEVERLAND Reviews
Posted: 4/16/15 at 2:27pm

I will never understand critics. I loved this show, and I've seen hundreds. I was falling asleep at On The Town- first time it ever happened to me- and it got great reviews. I don't think this show is perfect, but I don't think it deserved what Brantley gave it. I loved Honeymoon, but I can't imagine it being a better show than Neverland, according to Brantley. Oh well. 

"Mr Sondheim, look: I made a hat, where there never was a hat, it's a Latin hat at that!"

lotiloti Profile Photo
lotiloti
#140FINDING NEVERLAND Reviews
Posted: 4/16/15 at 2:37pm

I think you are all missing the point. The one thing critics cannot take, is a show that that they know is critic proof. Some of the worst notices I can remember, was for a little show called 'Les Miserables'  I wonder what became of that.

Auggie27 Profile Photo
Auggie27
#141FINDING NEVERLAND Reviews
Posted: 4/16/15 at 2:39pm

The actual quote is "...Neither Mr. Grammer nor the show’s leading man, Matthew Morrison, appear wholly invested in their performances. But that’s O.K. Their mere presences do most of the work for them."

I didn't read that as a question of being (professionally) "into" the vigorous demands of performing in a musical play, but rather a comment on the two actors' making nuanced choices about the roles that might excavate darker nooks and crannies, i.e. to find some story-enhancing subtext.  When Brantley says that Jordan exuded a "sweetness-thinning anguish," that suggests a very different exploration beyond simply committing to the demands of songs and dances.  Anguish is very much in Barrie. Yet other than in "Piazza," I haven't seen the talented Morrison find a range of colors in his work.  He is blessed with extraordinary looks and a nice voice; but he's not a male ingenue anymore, and for this role other depths are required. I've heard several people address his inherent blandness.  And when Brantley notes the absence of sensuality in "Neverland", it's consistent with my impression: despite his handsomeness, he seldom plays sexuality.  "Glee" went through multiple seasons without giving the character many opportunities to exhibit it. TV writers write to the qualities actors bring to the party.     

"I'm a comedian, but in my spare time, things bother me." Garry Shandling
Updated On: 4/16/15 at 02:39 PM

CurtainPullDowner
#142FINDING NEVERLAND Reviews
Posted: 4/16/15 at 3:37pm

I know  what "critic proof" means, but how does it pertain to this show?

neonlightsxo
#143FINDING NEVERLAND Reviews
Posted: 4/16/15 at 3:39pm

Dear god, when I said critic proof I didn't know so many people didn't know what that is.

Finding Neverland received poor reviews. My point was it doesn't need the reviews. It seems like they will sell tickets and make money no matter what the critics say. Why is that so hard to understand?

Jay94
#144FINDING NEVERLAND Reviews
Posted: 4/16/15 at 3:44pm

Honestly (and I don't want to sound like a conspiracy theorist) but to me the theatre critics have it out for Weinstein. Sure, I'd be willing to accept that it's not a great show but I think Weinstein's presence and reputation have pushed the reviews into pan (no pun intended) territory.

neonlightsxo
#145FINDING NEVERLAND Reviews
Posted: 4/16/15 at 3:46pm

It certainly didn't help.

CurtainPullDowner
#146FINDING NEVERLAND Reviews
Posted: 4/16/15 at 3:50pm

Why is my question so hard to understand?  Not what critic-proof is but why is THIS  show being labled that?  And of course, we won't know if it is "critic-proof" for at least 6 months.

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#147FINDING NEVERLAND Reviews
Posted: 4/16/15 at 3:53pm

While I'm sure there is no love lost between Weinstein and most of the community, it's ludicrous to suggest that this show got harsh reviews because of the producer. As much as people here complain about the critics, they are professionals and in many cases are educated and intelligent about theatre. This show got poor reviews because the critics didn't like it- Harvey Weinstein being  an ass is irrelevant. 

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#148FINDING NEVERLAND Reviews
Posted: 4/16/15 at 5:16pm

Because despite the poor reviews this got.out of Boston this is selling pretty well. Any comment people are making about it is guessing.  

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

SweetLips Profile Photo
SweetLips
#149FINDING NEVERLAND Reviews
Posted: 4/16/15 at 5:29pm

Loved the film but after watching those musical highlights, nothing appeals to make me want to rush out and buy a ticket though there is an audience for this type of formulated musical.

Videos