News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

NYCC Grand Hotel

CindersGolightly Profile Photo
CindersGolightly
#125NYCC Grand Hotel
Posted: 3/22/18 at 11:36am

Jordan Catalano said: "York proved it is possible to fill Jane Krakowski’s very large shoes and was sweet and sad and superb. It feels like someone always says now that every Encores show “needs” to transfer, but this one absolutely does."

I can't echo this enough. What a revelation Heléne Yorke is in this role - or, frankly, in every role. Would love to see this transfer for a limited run and to see her finally get Tony recognition. And then see her make another return in 2019 with "Kiss Me, Kate" - how sweet that would be.

And, yes, Snyder is also bright and magnificent. I really, really hope Roundabout gets their hands on this.

They/them. "Get up the nerve to be all you deserve to be."

WhizzerMarvin Profile Photo
WhizzerMarvin
#126NYCC Grand Hotel
Posted: 3/22/18 at 11:38am

Great as Snyder was in Cry-Baby, his big coming out moment was singing the title song in Fanny. I remember the chills all over hearing his voice swell on the big notes. His acting was very good in Fanny too.

I know people aren’t really writing shows like Fanny anymore- much to our loss- but Marius is the type of role he should be playing on Broadway.

Marie: Don't be in such a hurry about that pretty little chippy in Frisco. Tony: Eh, she's a no chip!

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#127NYCC Grand Hotel
Posted: 3/22/18 at 11:46am

I can’t believe I forgot about FANNY! That was one of my favorites that I saw there, folllowed by Florence Henderson’s Q&A!

Peter2 Profile Photo
Peter2
#128NYCC Grand Hotel
Posted: 3/22/18 at 11:50am

Tony2600 said: "If Encores ever gets arounhd to doing "Silk Stockings” Irina Dvorovenkowould be a natural."

Or “On Your Toes.”

Michael Bennett Profile Photo
Michael Bennett
#129NYCC Grand Hotel
Posted: 3/22/18 at 11:56am

Irina Dvorovenko actually did ON YOUR TOES for Encores a few seasons ago. I think she is fascinating and has a lot of potential, but she is clearly new to the world of acting, and I think needs stronger direction than what she has currently in this production. The two scenes between The Ballerina and The Baron fell unusually flat - though the actors were not helped by the unnecessary ttrims to the script and score.

Jordan Catalano
#130NYCC Grand Hotel
Posted: 3/22/18 at 11:58am

MB, for maybe the first time ever, I disagree with you. I actually found her acting to be really great and thought she seemed a natural. Interesting how she came across so differently to different people.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#131NYCC Grand Hotel
Posted: 3/22/18 at 12:00pm

I thought Irina Dvorovenko absolutely stole On Your Toes and displayed a real natural ability for musical comedy.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

givesmevoice Profile Photo
givesmevoice
#132NYCC Grand Hotel
Posted: 3/22/18 at 12:04pm

I haven't seen her yet, so cannot comment on her performance, but this was her first time singing at all. She recounts getting a call from someone at City Center about auditioning for Grand Hotel and saying that she wasn't sure she could sing.

http://www.dancemagazine.com/former-abt-star-irina-dvorovenko-on-acting-2550830128.html

When I see the phrase "the ____ estate", I imagine a vast mansion in the country full of monocled men and high-collared women receiving letters about productions across the country and doing spit-takes at whatever they contain. -Kad

Michael Bennett Profile Photo
Michael Bennett
#133NYCC Grand Hotel
Posted: 3/22/18 at 12:07pm

Jordan -- My complaint is ultimately with the director of the show, who I think wasn't really able to bring the actors in this large ensemble piece to a unified place of continuity in style, tone, etc. Perhaps it could get there with more rehearsal.  I agree that Dvorovensko has a naturalism that is hugely appealing. But - for me - she doesn't yet have natural authority as an actress, which is where I think her inexperience (without the help of great direction) wasn't always an asset in playing this character. But I did like her.

The scenes between the Baron and the Ballerina originally was more thrilling largely because Montevecci had such command (and vulnerability).

Updated On: 3/22/18 at 12:07 PM

WhizzerMarvin Profile Photo
WhizzerMarvin
#134NYCC Grand Hotel
Posted: 3/22/18 at 12:10pm

Jordan, I’m with you. I thought her acting was wonderful and even the singing enchanted me.

Marie: Don't be in such a hurry about that pretty little chippy in Frisco. Tony: Eh, she's a no chip!

Tony2600
#135NYCC Grand Hotel
Posted: 3/22/18 at 2:01pm

Dvorovenko has great stage presence and IMHO sings and acts the part better than Montevecci did. As for Josh Rhodes’ rookie shot at directing and choreographing I would say this is a pretty auspicious debut. 

Jordan Catalano
#136NYCC Grand Hotel
Posted: 3/22/18 at 2:38pm

Also, this show has an abundance of roles just ripe for “stunt casting” to sell it, should it move to broadway.

forgetmenotnyc Profile Photo
forgetmenotnyc
#137NYCC Grand Hotel
Posted: 3/22/18 at 3:09pm

Morosco: I was in the front rows mezz right & the lady who yelled out at the end of the Dance you asked about was speaking in Russian so I'm not sure what it was but it sounded like something like "NOSTROVIA"? I had never seen the show before & found some sections very moving. LIke someone else said here, it does not appear to be an Encore prod. at all because no one was on script & everything was staged & lit fully. I think the show is a bit overrated & the audience response was largely one of nostalgia for the orig. prod. - but that doesn't mean you should pass it by. If you can get seats house LEFT - it would be recommended because the whole set angles in that direction. I missed a good 10% of the show because of my far right seat.

jewishboy Profile Photo
jewishboy
#138NYCC Grand Hotel
Posted: 3/22/18 at 5:24pm

Haven’t seen this yet, but I’m super excited to see it on Monday. I do want to echo Michael Bennett’s critiques of Dvorovenko based on what I saw during On Your Toes. Amazing natural ability, but was also practically begging for more fine tuning, crafting and authority. Of course none of that was true when she danced. I think Warren Carlyle was in over his head on that show with pulling double duty for direction and choreography. I did enjoy her singing in that brief clip.

Tony2600
#139NYCC Grand Hotel
Posted: 3/22/18 at 5:50pm

Ben Brantley New York Times review

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/22/theater/grand-hotel-review-encores.html

sylvesterbird Profile Photo
sylvesterbird
#140NYCC Grand Hotel
Posted: 3/22/18 at 6:53pm

I appreciated how fully staged this production was, though especially for some of the more involved book scenes I felt like I could see/hear the actors thinking through their lines and blocking (kudos to everyone involved for somehow pulling this off!). Dvorovenko is a beautiful dancer and really quite a good singer, but I found her acting rather exaggerated and awkward, which I would blame more on the director. Snyder sounded absolutely phenomenal - the end of "Love Can't Happen" gave me goosebumps! Yorke is giving one of the more fully realized performances, along with Uranowitz, and both also tear the roof off of their solo numbers. Similar to someone's post above, I found the musical numbers much more polished than the book scenes - "We'll Take A Glass Together" was absolutely exhilarating. 

As someone who was completely unfamiliar with the show, I was surprised at how dark, and really quite strange, the show is. Not sure it would be able to run successfully outside of an Encores! audience without some significant big-name casting, but it really was a wonderful night. 

Up In One Profile Photo
Up In One
#141NYCC Grand Hotel
Posted: 3/23/18 at 12:43am

Saw Grand Hotel tonite, Thursday, this was the most fully realized and satisfying Encores staging since Chicago. It respected the original using the same vocabulary within the Encores set restrictions that always includes a full orchestra - without feeling like just another Encores show. Tommy Tune should be honored. Wish I was able to see it again this weekend.

Up In One

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#142NYCC Grand Hotel
Posted: 3/23/18 at 1:36pm

Saw the original...we are so excited to see this on Saturday in the Orchestra Center row A!

NYCC Grand HotelNYCC Grand HotelNYCC Grand Hotel

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

broadway_show_fan Profile Photo
broadway_show_fan
#143NYCC Grand Hotel
Posted: 3/23/18 at 2:30pm

Sounds to me like the person yelling in the video is saying "na zdrowie"

(https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/na_zdrowie)

wish i were here2 Profile Photo
wish i were here2
#144NYCC Grand Hotel
Posted: 3/23/18 at 2:39pm

I originally had a ticket for Wednesday, the day of the snow storm, so I called them and they gave me a Snow Comp ticket for yesterday's performance. I thought it was a good show. I love seeing this pretty much fully realized revival, much like Brigadoon and most of Assassins! I went in knowing nothing except for infamous "We'll Take A Glass Together," which, if you were curious, brought down the house, yesterday. I'm not sure if it was because I was really tired, but first half felt really slow, with the exception of songs like "I Want To Go To Hollywood" and "Love Can't Happen." But, the second half had me engaged with every moment. Not really sure if I would see it again, but it was a lovely show!

Owen22
#145NYCC Grand Hotel
Posted: 3/23/18 at 8:38pm

I think Brantley killed any chance of a transfer.

CindersGolightly Profile Photo
CindersGolightly
#146NYCC Grand Hotel
Posted: 3/24/18 at 7:16am

His review wasn’t negative, though. More mixed, but leaning highly positive.

They/them. "Get up the nerve to be all you deserve to be."

Melissa25 Profile Photo
Melissa25
#147NYCC Grand Hotel
Posted: 3/24/18 at 9:51am

I thought the costumes were beautiful but that tiered set was awful.   I hated that those glorious dancers were stuck under that scaffolding which kept stealing my attention.  The staging felt too crammed and the grand staircase, for the amount of space it took up, did not get a return on it’s investment for me.  Maybe I am being too harsh expecting moving sets at an encores production but I found all that scaffolding just way too distracting.

Glad I saw it but not one of my favorites.  

It was exciting to see Borle, Block and Arcelus arrive to take center orchestra seats at 7:50ish.

ELP
#148NYCC Grand Hotel
Posted: 3/24/18 at 10:47am

Owen22 said: "I think Brantley killed any chance of a transfer."

Google Frank Rich’s NYT review of the original Broadway show. Way more negative than Brantley’s. Went on to win a bunch of Tonys with over 1,000 performances. 

Updated On: 3/24/18 at 10:47 AM

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#149NYCC Grand Hotel
Posted: 3/25/18 at 2:00am

Wasn’t it originally staged with tiered scaffolding? I’m not understanding the complaints. Where some of you hoping for a new approach?

Videos