News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

THE BOOK OF MORMON Reviews!- Page 7

THE BOOK OF MORMON Reviews!

Mythos
#150THE BOOK OF MORMON Reviews!
Posted: 3/25/11 at 5:54pm

The Marx Brothers sold anarchy--they were the Lords of Misrule. Yet, there was almost a romance that functioned as the moral order and spiritual center of their films. If there weren't, there'd be nothing for them to rebel against.

Such eternal verities don't exist for the most part in Parker and Stone vehicles because they target a dumbed-down adolescent demographic (hence no romance but for a sexless 'bromance' in TBOM---unthinkable in any other musical comedy!!). Sure, the critics can delude themselves of its 'sweetness.' But that's like arguing somebody is sweet because they smile while they take a dump on your plate during dinner. But enough said. See ya!

Updated On: 3/25/11 at 05:54 PM

themysteriousgrowl Profile Photo
themysteriousgrowl
#151THE BOOK OF MORMON Reviews!
Posted: 3/25/11 at 5:59pm

THE BOOK OF MORMON Reviews!

CHURCH DOOR TOUCAN GAY MARKETING PUPPIES MUSICAL THEATER STAPLES PERIOD OIL BITCHY SNARK HOLES

Jim3 Profile Photo
Jim3
#152THE BOOK OF MORMON Reviews!
Posted: 3/25/11 at 6:25pm

Scottsboro Boys was magnificent and should't be forgotten by the Tony committee

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#153THE BOOK OF MORMON Reviews!
Posted: 3/25/11 at 6:27pm

I believe the top price for this work is $ 147 clams. Already overpriced but they will probably be tempted to jack them up even more.Not my cup of tea anyhow but I wish all connected with it luck

The beat goes on.

Poster Emeritus

kyle4
#154THE BOOK OF MORMON Reviews!
Posted: 3/25/11 at 6:44pm

mythos

it is time for you to have a REESE'S PEANUT BUTTER CUP !!!

and i mean that in a kind way !!!!

WHAT ELSE IS THERE TO KNOW?!!!!!

wendilin622 Profile Photo
wendilin622
#155THE BOOK OF MORMON Reviews!
Posted: 3/25/11 at 6:46pm

Just called to get tickets for June (why I didn't get them before reviews came out...stupid me). The man at telecharge said almost all of his phone calls today were for the Book of Mormon! I bet advance is doing very well right now!

Katurian2 Profile Photo
Katurian2
#156THE BOOK OF MORMON Reviews!
Posted: 3/25/11 at 8:10pm

Is anyone going tonight or next week? I am curious if the line, "They know we are still in previews, right?" is still kept now that the show is no longer in previews. The big laugh from that line always came from the fact that the show itself was also in previews. It wouldn't seem to serve as much of a purpose now that the show has opened.

"Are you sorry for civilization? I am sorry for it too." ~Coast of Utopia: Shipwreck

After Eight
#157THE BOOK OF MORMON Reviews!
Posted: 3/25/11 at 8:21pm

Several people have addressed me questions, so to answer them all in a nutshell:

Yes, there are different kinds of humor.

Yes, one can enjoy different kinds of humor.

The problem with this show (among many) is that the humor is not.....

humorous.

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#158THE BOOK OF MORMON Reviews!
Posted: 3/25/11 at 8:26pm

Tonight on Channel 13 ny @ 12:30 AM Theater Talk features

TBOM

Poster Emeritus

DAME Profile Photo
DAME
#159THE BOOK OF MORMON Reviews!
Posted: 3/25/11 at 8:34pm

After 8. The show is a big ****ing hit and the people love it. Time for love baby. Time for love.

HUSSY POWER! ------ HUSSY POWER!

Astrid2 Profile Photo
Astrid2
#160THE BOOK OF MORMON Reviews!
Posted: 3/25/11 at 9:25pm

I'm starting to think that Rannells and Gad will be doubled up and both nominated for Best Actor (a la Idina and Kristen in Wicked). Then they can nominate Nikki M. James for Featured Actress and O'Malley for Featured Actor.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#161THE BOOK OF MORMON Reviews!
Posted: 3/26/11 at 12:47am

"Several people have addressed me questions, so to answer them all in a nutshell:

Yes, there are different kinds of humor.

Yes, one can enjoy different kinds of humor.

The problem with this show (among many) is that the humor is not.....

humorous."

No- the problem is you don't respond to the kind of the humor in the show. Simple. When everyone else around you is laughing, you are not the audience for the show.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

johnquincyadams
#162THE BOOK OF MORMON Reviews!
Posted: 3/26/11 at 12:53am

They've cut out the bit about previews entirely.
Updated On: 3/26/11 at 12:53 AM

After Eight
#163THE BOOK OF MORMON Reviews!
Posted: 3/26/11 at 4:43am

"No- the problem is you don't respond to the kind of the humor in the show. Simple. When everyone else around you is laughing, you are not the audience for the show."

Sorry, but............

no..

People were also laughing all around me at the abysmal film "The Hangover." It, like this show, was not humorous.

steveshack Profile Photo
steveshack
#164THE BOOK OF MORMON Reviews!
Posted: 3/26/11 at 7:44am

> "No- the problem is you don't respond to the kind of the humor in the show. Simple. When everyone else around you is laughing, you are not the audience for the show."

> People were also laughing all around me at the abysmal film "The Hangover." It, like this show, was not humorous.

Given the fact that I found both TBOM and The Hangover hilariously funny, you kind of made his point. You're not the audience for these shows.

The thing about comedy is you either laugh or you don't. If you laugh, it's funny. If you don't laugh, it's not funny. And all the argumentation in the world won't undo that.

But I think it's a bit silly to proclaim something as INHERENTLY not funny when every audience member and every critic disagrees.

You can say that YOU don't find it funny, but you cannot say that it's inherently not funny when you're the only one not laughing.

Updated On: 3/26/11 at 07:44 AM

After Eight
#165THE BOOK OF MORMON Reviews!
Posted: 3/26/11 at 8:49am

"But I think it's a bit silly to proclaim something as INHERENTLY not funny when every audience member and every critic disagrees."

Steve,

Every audience member? You've spoken to them all? Apparently not to the ones I have.

Every critic? Apparently, you haven't read all the reviews.

"You can say that YOU don't find it funny, but you cannot say that it's inherently
not funny when you're the only one not laughing. "

Uh, Steve, when I say the show is unfunny, juvenile junk, whose opinion do you think I'm stating? My own, or my cousin's friend's brother-in-law's?

And if merely one other person was not laughing then I COULD state it's inherently unfunny?

Honestly, Steve, I expected better from you.

But I still think the world of you.

steveshack Profile Photo
steveshack
#166THE BOOK OF MORMON Reviews!
Posted: 3/26/11 at 11:16am

I was just yankin' yer chain. :)

klacombe@uoguelph.ca Profile Photo
klacombe@uoguelph.ca
#167THE BOOK OF MORMON Reviews!
Posted: 3/26/11 at 11:41am

"The thing about comedy is you either laugh or you don't. If you laugh, it's funny. If you don't laugh, it's not funny. And all the argumentation in the world won't undo that.

But I think it's a bit silly to proclaim something as INHERENTLY not funny when every audience member and every critic disagrees. "

I agree with you Steve. I loved everything about this musical except for many of the jokes. Most of them just fell flat for me. It just isn't what gets me laughing. Not saying it's not funny just not funny to me. And I'm obviousely a minority since I would say 90% of the crowd laughed at every joke.

Still really liked the show though.

Patash Profile Photo
Patash
#168THE BOOK OF MORMON Reviews!
Posted: 3/26/11 at 12:06pm

After Eight, you seem to be having trouble explaining yourself. You don't think the show is funny yet no one seems to be able to understand your reasoning. So let me help out here and parapohrase what you've said so that everyone can understand your reasoning. OK?

"I don't think the show is funny and I am one of the very few people in the world who is a true authority on humor. Sure thousands are laughing at the show, and millions thought The Hangover was funny, but they are all wrong because I didn't think they were funny, and I'm the only one who has the right to decide what's funny. Some people seem to think that "sense of humor" is a matter of opinion, but they are wrong. Humor is fact -- if I say it's funny it's a fact, and if I say it's not funny, THAT'S a fact."

There, was that more clear? It seems to be a concise explanation of all the reasons you've given, so now maybe everyone can agree with you and we can get on with it.
Updated On: 3/26/11 at 12:06 PM

Broadwaywest Profile Photo
Broadwaywest
#169THE BOOK OF MORMON Reviews!
Posted: 3/26/11 at 12:10pm

I just got my tickets for June, and I was kinda shocked that I was able to get six tickets in the orchestra. I thought I wouldn't be able to get any, after all the raves for this show. Since I am seeing this on Sunday afternoon and sister act friday night. Anything for Saturday I should see, for my holier then thou broadway theme I have going on here.

canmark Profile Photo
canmark
#170THE BOOK OF MORMON Reviews!
Posted: 3/26/11 at 12:24pm

NYTimesTheater just tweeted this:

NYTimes Theater
Ben Brantley's @BookofMormonBWY review is the #3 most emailed article on the entire site! That rarely happens http://nyti.ms/hOyAaR

Who knew theatre reviews could be so popular?

Coach Bob knew it all along: you've got to get obsessed and stay obsessed. You have to keep passing the open windows. (John Irving, The Hotel New Hampshire)

steveshack Profile Photo
steveshack
#171THE BOOK OF MORMON Reviews!
Posted: 3/26/11 at 12:26pm

klacombe,

> I agree with you Steve. I loved everything about this musical except for many of the jokes.

You bring up a good point. The show, for my money, is not merely an excuse to make jokes. It has real substance as a statement about faith and the naivete many young religionists have about their ability to save the world.

And yet, it shows that sometimes even having good intentions and putting yourself out there can be enough, if you have the capacity to learn the biggest lesson of all. When you try to save someone else, you usually end up saving yourself.

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#172THE BOOK OF MORMON Reviews!
Posted: 3/26/11 at 5:25pm

I think advanced ticket sales will be through the roof this weekend. I walked by the theater yesterday around 2:30 and there was a long line(40-50ppl). I would guess that they were either trying to get tickets that night/weekend(which are sold-out) or simply buying tickets in advance. Plus, if telecharge is indeed overwhelmed with ticket demand, I'd expect this show to at least be sold-out through the June. Then if it wins Best Musical, it'll become a very hot ticket and could sell-out the rest of the year. I think Broadway has a new hit.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

goldenboy Profile Photo
goldenboy
#173THE BOOK OF MORMON Reviews!
Posted: 3/27/11 at 12:34am

To the poster who is Seeing Book of Mormon one day
and Sister Act the next....

The Book of Mormon is so damn good on so many levels that Sister Act will look lame and pedestrian.

That's what happenned to me.
Wednesday Book of Moromon Hooray for musical theatre.
Thursday Sister Act. Oy vey for musical theatre.

Book of Mormon has so much to say about religion and belief
with wit, intelligence, entertainment, humor and heart.
The score is delicious. The book delightful. The staging
imaginative.

It has moved the bar way up. If you are going to see it....
make it the last musical in the week!

I am sincerely afraid to see Priscilla and CAtch Me if you can now which I have tickets for later this week.

theatrepaul Profile Photo
theatrepaul
#174THE BOOK OF MORMON Reviews!
Posted: 3/28/11 at 9:51am

Sounds like one to add to my list of things to see when I'm in New York in May

Videos