News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

New Tony Predictions?

ggersten Profile Photo
ggersten
#150New Tony Predictions?
Posted: 1/30/15 at 9:24pm

>>Do we know for sure that Emily Padgett and Erin Davie will be considered separately?<<
Yes. This was the ruling of the Tony Awards Administration Committee:

"Erin Davie and Emily Padgett will be considered eligible in the Best Performance by an Actress in a Leading Role in a Musical category for their respective performances in Side Show."

Respective performances.

And since the announcement was silent - presumably, Side Show did not have enough new music to be eligible for Best Score.

Davie and Padgett are Separated Updated On: 1/30/15 at 09:24 PM

Bilbo3 Profile Photo
Bilbo3
#151New Tony Predictions?
Posted: 1/30/15 at 9:49pm

I wouldn't be surprised if Side Show didn't get a best revival nomination. Everyone in town told the producers to not do this show. It got pretty good critic reviews but the show overall didn't really fly well with audiences or the theatre community. Also, doesn't one of the lead girls have a reputation for being rude/diva-ish? Yeah I doubt this show will get much.

Countdown til Jordan comes on raging about how much loves me! 3..2..1...

Phillypinto Profile Photo
Phillypinto
#152New Tony Predictions?
Posted: 1/30/15 at 9:56pm

"It got pretty good critic reviews but the show overall didn't really fly well with audiences or the theatre community"

ummm audiences LOVED that show. The reason why it closed so soon was because it was a tough sell, but the audiences love that show.

"Also, doesn't one of the lead girls have a reputation for being rude/diva-ish?"
What does that have to do with anything? And NO they are both really nice, people on these boards like to say stuff that isn't true about people.

Side Show will be nominated over On The Town. bye bye

Use my fabulous TodayTix code: JEYCY

Bilbo3 Profile Photo
Bilbo3
#153New Tony Predictions?
Posted: 1/30/15 at 10:07pm

Oh God. This kid again. Maybe I should try out that ignore button. Yeah that's what I'll do.

ethan231h Profile Photo
ethan231h
#154New Tony Predictions?
Posted: 1/30/15 at 10:10pm

^^I actually agree with you

Both critics and audiences loved Side Show in any possible way. I feel On the Town as great as it is will be snubbed. Will Side Show go home with the big win no but I hope it gets some love. also Bilbo3, where did you here that one of the actors playing the sisters is rude. I met Emily and Erin at the stage door and they were both such sweet hearts!

Jeffrey Karasarides Profile Photo
Jeffrey Karasarides
#155New Tony Predictions?
Posted: 1/30/15 at 10:16pm

"Doesn't one of the lead girls have a reputation for being rude/diva-ish? Yeah I doubt this show will get much."

That almost reminds me of a theory Michael Riedel had when Arthur Laurents was snubbed for a Best Director nomination for his production of West Side Story back in 2009...
Full Story Here! Updated On: 1/31/15 at 10:16 PM

Bilbo3 Profile Photo
Bilbo3
#156New Tony Predictions?
Posted: 1/30/15 at 10:17pm

Not that I really care, but I guess I can say this one more time: On the town isn't getting snubbed. Side Show couldn't find an audience, yes the fans who already knew the show loved it and a few others, but it didn't really reach the general population (again). I'm not saying it won't get nominated, but it certainly won't get nominated over On The Town.

During an interview people were commenting on how one of them were being rude or obnoxious.

Phillypinto
#157New Tony Predictions?
Posted: 1/30/15 at 10:17pm

Bilbo3 just likes messing with people and starting problems. Thats the only reason why he always comes at me, and posts right after i say something on here.

Phillypinto
#158New Tony Predictions?
Posted: 1/30/15 at 10:20pm

"During an interview people were commenting on how one of them were being rude or obnoxious."

yeah, thats just people starting problems, and makin **** up.

"That almost reminds me of a theory Michael Riedel had when Arthur Laurents was snubbed for a Best Director nomination for his production of West Side Story back in 2009... "

wasn't that revival not critically acclaimed anyway?

Jeffrey Karasarides
#159New Tony Predictions?
Posted: 1/31/15 at 8:40am

^That may have been one reason, but Michael Riedel had this theory about a very 'tough' article Jesse Green wrote that he felt reminded the nominators about how cruel and nasty Arthur Laurents was...

Full Story Here! Updated On: 1/31/15 at 08:40 AM

AAO26 Profile Photo
AAO26
#160New Tony Predictions?
Posted: 2/18/15 at 2:12am

New Musical - The Visit

Best Score : The Visit

Leading Actress in a Musical : Chita Rivera

Wilmingtom
#161New Tony Predictions?
Posted: 2/18/15 at 3:14am

Philly, why don't you investigate PM and take your petty grievances there rather than clogging the board with them?

seahag2 Profile Photo
seahag2
#162New Tony Predictions?
Posted: 2/18/15 at 3:58am

"An American in Paris
Doctor Zhivago
Fun Home
The Visit "

This list is WONDERFUL. I know it's only a prediction but it makes me super excited to watch their live performances. A few posters have mentioned Honeymoon In Vegas getting a nom but that seems unlikely at this point. What's its pull? (And by the way, as of right now I'm only going by what I like. I don't know enough about ticket sales/financial security/creative team to make a well informed decision regarding how well a show does through a critic's eyes-- that being said I didn't like the Honeymoon cast recording and so I'm trying to understand the hype)

so I smile like Mona Lisa and I lay my Visa down

seahag2 Profile Photo
seahag2
#163New Tony Predictions?
Posted: 2/18/15 at 3:58am

"An American in Paris
Doctor Zhivago
Fun Home
The Visit "

This list is WONDERFUL. I know it's only a prediction but it makes me super excited to watch their live performances. A few posters have mentioned Honeymoon In Vegas getting a nom but that seems unlikely at this point. What's its pull? (And by the way, as of right now I'm only going by what I like. I don't know enough about ticket sales/financial security/creative team to make a well informed decision regarding how well a show does through a critic's eyes-- that being said I didn't like the Honeymoon cast recording and so I'm trying to understand the hype)

so I smile like Mona Lisa and I lay my Visa down

Inigomontoya
#164New Tony Predictions?
Posted: 2/18/15 at 4:05am

Just a quick question, Why isn't The Visit competing in the revival category? Isn't it the same to what they did with Assassins?

Princeton Returns Profile Photo
Princeton Returns
#165New Tony Predictions?
Posted: 2/18/15 at 8:29am

'I met Emily and Erin at the stage door and they were both such sweet hearts!'

This seems to be a common statement, but the in reality the stage door is just another performance for the majority of actors and you cant go by meeting someone at the stage door as a judgement on what they are really like.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#166New Tony Predictions?
Posted: 2/18/15 at 8:34am

Just a quick question, Why isn't The Visit competing in the revival category? Isn't it the same to what they did with Assassins?

Not at all. Assassins played off-Broadway, London, had a cast recording, and was a licensed musical. THE VISIT has had three regional productions and one NYC concert. This transferred WTF production is a revision and different from the other incarnations, becoming a one act musical. The producers are strongly branding it as a "new musical."

Updated On: 2/18/15 at 08:34 AM

Jeffrey Karasarides
#167New Tony Predictions?
Posted: 2/18/15 at 10:03am

"A few posters have mentioned Honeymoon In Vegas getting a nom but that seems unlikely at this point."

It did get some pretty glowing reviews from the critics. And because of the Bridges snub for a Best Musical nomination last year (especially with the possibility of a fifth show being nominated), I think some Tony nominators might feel a little more sympathy towards Honeymoon in Vegas, and I'm sure the producers are hoping they can make it into awards season to see how the box office can benefit from Honeymoon's potential nominations. Updated On: 2/18/15 at 10:03 AM

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#168New Tony Predictions?
Posted: 2/19/15 at 9:59pm

After seeing the sneak peak presentation of 5 production numbers at the Little Shubert of "Something Rotten!" I am now adding that to the list of best new musicals.
It's smart, fresh, totally original with fun clever songs. I feel it has a lot of potential with the possibility of being a hit.

MUSICALS
Fun Home
Something Rotten
The Visit
An American in Paris or Finding Neverland

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

Phillypinto
#169New Tony Predictions?
Posted: 2/19/15 at 10:01pm

i HIGHLY doubt An American in Paris will be nominated.

ggersten Profile Photo
ggersten
#170New Tony Predictions?
Posted: 2/19/15 at 10:07pm

I hesitate to ask, Phillypinto, but why do you HIGHLY doubt it? It got some pretty glowing reviews for the Paris production.
Or is it just that you think there will be four more deserving shows?

Some reviews Updated On: 2/19/15 at 10:07 PM

Phillypinto
#171New Tony Predictions?
Posted: 2/19/15 at 10:22pm

well there might be 5 nominated shows, and idk An American in Paris just seems like dancy fluff, and another love story. Honeymoon in Vegas, Something Rotten, and It Shoulda Been You are fluff too, but I think they're more likely to be nominated because they're different, and completely original except Honeymoon, but at least they have an original score.

My predictions:
Fun Home
The Visit
Honeymoon In Vegas
It Shoulda Been You
Something Rotten or Finding Neverland

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#172New Tony Predictions?
Posted: 2/19/15 at 10:30pm

Well, Kinky Boots won Best Musical, at that's dancy fluff too

ethan231h Profile Photo
ethan231h
#173New Tony Predictions?
Posted: 2/19/15 at 11:05pm

I think An American in Paris over Something Rotten.

Phillypinto
#174New Tony Predictions?
Posted: 2/19/15 at 11:23pm

eh I don't think Kinky Boots was fluff. Its about acceptance, plus it had a great original score, and is such a fun show. There are like 20 other shows like An American in Paris

Videos