News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

So--who will replace Bernadette?- Page 9

So--who will replace Bernadette?

nasty_khakis
#200So--who will replace Bernadette?
Posted: 12/30/11 at 9:14pm

Marie Osmond is VERY interesting choice and could be quite good, however....she refuses to swear, mention drinking, etc. I remember in the broadway medley in her christmas show she changed the lyrics in "All That Jazz" to "Where the music's cold and the piano's hot."

Please prove me wrong and cite examples where she's swore and would play a woman who has attempted suicide.

ComingUpRoses2 Profile Photo
ComingUpRoses2
#201So--who will replace Bernadette?
Posted: 12/30/11 at 9:23pm

Is that true? Do you think it was for her audience? I know she has lots of religious fans.

Sally never really does that much offensive in the show, though, does she? It is mentioned that she drinks, right? I think Marie's squeaky clean image might work in her favor, since Sally is such a delusional, messed up character.

I hope she'd be open to doing it. Any cursing or alcohol references in Follies are far from gratuitous. It could be a great role for her.

nasty_khakis
#202So--who will replace Bernadette?
Posted: 12/30/11 at 9:47pm

I can't say for sure, but I do seem to remember her saying in some interview that there are very few parts she wants to play because she doesn't want to swear or promote things she doesn't approve of.

Maybe the Widow Goldman will change lines for her? haha

choitoy Profile Photo
choitoy
#204So--who will replace Bernadette?
Posted: 12/30/11 at 11:42pm

"Also, to whoever said that Norbert Leo Butz can play Buddy in a few years, I thought it was kind of funny because I checked and he's only 2 and 1/2 yrs younger than Danny Burstein. I think if you're a good enough actor, you can sell it in theatre even if your age isn't quite right. For example, look how well Danny made as believe he's a contemporary of the other leads..."

Having seen Norbert in "Catch Me..." in Seattle, and seeing Danny as Buddy in "Follies" in DC, Danny reads slightly younger than his cast members (but still believable), and Norbert reads older than Danny while he was sporting the mustache (and grayed out hair) in "Catch Me...", so I think this could work out great! But it looks like Danny is probably still in for the LA run, so I guess the point is moot...

Xanadu! Can't cry on cue!

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#205So--who will replace Bernadette?
Posted: 12/30/11 at 11:54pm

Has anyone considered casting Liza AND Pet Shop Boys?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mR_mjkxc7Ys

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

choitoy Profile Photo
choitoy
#206So--who will replace Bernadette?
Posted: 12/31/11 at 12:04am

"Has anyone considered casting Liza AND Pet Shop Boys?"

Brilliant!!!

No really, if they made a movie version of "Follies" back in the late 1980s/early 1990s, I always thought Liza would have been a great Carlotta.

Dollypop
#207So--who will replace Bernadette?
Posted: 1/1/12 at 2:38pm

This may be OT perhaps, but I saw this production of FOLLIES only recently and couldn't help but think that Bernadette's wig stylist must hate her. She's wearing the most unflattering wig throughout most of the play that it makes her seem a bit deformed. It wasn't until "Losing My Mind" that she had something she actually looked good in.

Bernadette Peters is an attractive woman but she needs her face to be framed with softer hair.

Okay, my piece is said, now back to the conversation....

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

BroadwayFan12
#208So--who will replace Bernadette?
Posted: 1/1/12 at 4:27pm

I think it's intentional because she's too beautiful for Sally, so they have to try and make her look not quite so good. It's why reason why the red dress didn't work in DC.

random person 112
#209So--who will replace Bernadette?
Posted: 1/5/12 at 8:54pm

So--who will replace Bernadette?

I still am rooting for warren, she still does read ten years younger heck she's been doing it for years on in plain sight. This a recent photo and i think she looks as good as peters.

SondheimFan5 Profile Photo
SondheimFan5
#210So--who will replace Bernadette?
Posted: 1/5/12 at 8:58pm

Can Shirley Jones still sing? She could be wonderful as Heidi if Rosalind Elias doesn't transfer(like when Joan Roberts starred in the 2001 production).

And while on that subject...What about Sean Cassidy for Ben (Shirley's son, who did 42nd St with her)?

Updated On: 1/5/12 at 08:58 PM

random person 112
#211So--who will replace Bernadette?
Posted: 1/5/12 at 9:02pm

Oh most certainly she even did a recent run at feinstiens and she still has her soprano, as strong as elias no but i think she could do one more kiss. :)

Dollypop
#212So--who will replace Bernadette?
Posted: 1/5/12 at 9:10pm

Darren Criss

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

nasty_khakis
#213So--who will replace Bernadette?
Posted: 1/5/12 at 9:13pm

Taylor Swift.

With Vanna White as Young Sally.

Gaveston2
#214So--who will replace Bernadette?
Posted: 1/5/12 at 9:31pm

"Marie Osmond is VERY interesting choice and could be quite good, however....she refuses to swear, mention drinking, etc. I remember in the broadway medley in her christmas show she changed the lyrics in "All That Jazz" to "Where the music's cold and the piano's hot."

Please prove me wrong and cite examples where she's swore and would play a woman who has attempted suicide."

I believe you. I think all the Osmonds have been marketed (at least) as good, practicing Mormons. So I was very surprised to see Marie in an infomercial over the weekend: she has obviously had a face-lift and collagen injections in her lips. Or that's how it appeared to me.

How is it your body is such a temple you can't drink caffeine, but you can inject artificial substances?

(My apologies in advance to Miss Osmond if I misjudged her appearance.)

DAME Profile Photo
DAME
#215So--who will replace Bernadette?
Posted: 1/6/12 at 9:16pm

Just a thought. And I know she is too pretty... But I wouldn't mind seeing her in this. Vanessa Williams.

HUSSY POWER! ------ HUSSY POWER!

random person 112
#216So--who will replace Bernadette?
Posted: 1/6/12 at 9:27pm

Vanessa is Phyllis or she is nothing. They mit have to cast a younger sally in the case of williams someone like megan mullally...

Gaveston2
#217So--who will replace Bernadette?
Posted: 1/6/12 at 9:32pm

I'm not saying she couldn't do it--she is obviously highly skilled--but I don't understand the Mullally support here. Nothing I have ever seen or heard of her doing is remotely like Sally.

random person 112
#218So--who will replace Bernadette?
Posted: 1/6/12 at 9:39pm

I am convinced on the acting front, due to part of her work on will and grace, particularly when they gave her some serious moments such as when she finds out stan is going to be in prison for a while.

theaterkid1015 Profile Photo
theaterkid1015
#219So--who will replace Bernadette?
Posted: 1/7/12 at 12:15am

Well, if they wanted easy marketing and schedules permitted, they could do a big Will and Grace reunion. Mullally as Phyllis with Debra Messing as Sally. I don't know if she could sing it, but Messing was the original Harper in workshops/readings of Angels in America. So something tells me she could act it.

Some people paint, some people sew, I meddle.

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#220So--who will replace Bernadette?
Posted: 1/7/12 at 12:19am

In real life, Messing has quite a lovely voice. Not super strong, but she can definitely sing.

choitoy Profile Photo
choitoy
#221So--who will replace Bernadette?
Posted: 1/7/12 at 1:04am

"they could do a big Will and Grace reunion. Mullally as Phyllis with Debra Messing as Sally"

Might as well complete this casting with Eric McCormack as Ben and Sean Hayes as Buddy.

And lets throw in Shelly Morrison (Rosario) as Hattie!

And you know, Blythe Danner played Will's Mom, and was a Phyllis. And Judith Ivey was Leo's Mom (Grace's husband, played by Harry Connic, Jr.) and she was a Sally, so I say bring them on and have them haunt the stage as "ghosts" of an inferior production!

I'd actually kinda pay good money to see that!

someone.else's.story2 Profile Photo
someone.else's.story2
#222So--who will replace Bernadette?
Posted: 1/7/12 at 1:13pm

Oh no, please no more Marin...yuck.

How about Ripley? That would be incredible...

“I regard the theatre as the greatest of all art forms, the most immediate way in which a human being can share with another the sense of what it is to be a human being.” ``oscar wilde``

random person 112
#223So--who will replace Bernadette?
Posted: 1/7/12 at 1:35pm

^Yes if she could still sing, she truined her voice soo much on the N2N tour it's wrecked. Let the woman rest for a good three four years then she and skinner can do follies.

Gaveston2
#224So--who will replace Bernadette?
Posted: 1/7/12 at 1:40pm

"...Messing was the original Harper in workshops/readings of Angels in America. So something tells me she could act it."

Debra Messing was just finishing grad school when MILLENNIUM APPROACHES opened on Broadway. Both parts had already premiered in California. Since Messing went to school in New York and the play was developed on the West Coast (first at the Eureka in San Francisco), I don't see how the above statement can be correct. (Maybe she did some readings in NYC while the show was being prepped for Broadway, but she was much too young to actually play Harper.)

Please note, I'm only questioning the chronology, not Messing's ability. I think she's wrong for Sally (if Sally were that statuesque, Ben might have married her), but I don't doubt her ability any more than I doubt Mullally's.

As for Mullally, I'm sure she can do drama. Most great comic actors can. I just haven't seen her do anything that reads "Sally" to me. I love her solo albums, but they sound much more like a Carlotta to my ear.

I assume we all understand that whether someone is right for a particular role involves more than whether he or she is skilled. Not even the best actor is right for every part.

someone.else's.story2 Profile Photo
someone.else's.story2
#225So--who will replace Bernadette?
Posted: 1/7/12 at 4:18pm

^ Pfft, I heard her recently and she sounds great! She's always had a different voice...

“I regard the theatre as the greatest of all art forms, the most immediate way in which a human being can share with another the sense of what it is to be a human being.” ``oscar wilde``

Videos