News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

BCEFA FLEA MARKET COLLECTORS UNITE!!- Page 9

BCEFA FLEA MARKET COLLECTORS UNITE!!

Sorry-Grateful Profile Photo
Sorry-Grateful
#200BCEFA FLEA MARKET COLLECTORS UNITE!!
Posted: 9/26/17 at 11:51am

Jordan Catalano said: "I think you underestimate those burly men's reasoning for buying Playbills. Burly men are some of the biggest theater queens alive and Playbills don't sell for anything at all hardly."

As a queen myself, I can say these were no mere theater lovers. And unfortunately there is a market for Playbills. Sought after shows, especially ones that closed early or had a key cast member leave early in the run, can sell for alot.

There's this one Playbill re-seller out of Oregon who is a particular scourge on the hobby. They literally trawl eBay looking for any and every Playbill that they can make any re-sell margin on no matter how thin, and then they bid those items up to ridiculous amounts. I've lost so many auctions to this one single re-seller, and like clockwork, the very item appears as a new listing in their eBay store one week later with a HEAVY markup from what they paid for it. It's a bit like the company that buys up diamonds to create artificial scarcity. Re-sellers are ruining the hobby, and this one Oregon re-seller is the worst of the whole lot of them.

TodayTix Code: XGAXA
Updated On: 9/26/17 at 11:51 AM

mattyp4
#201BCEFA FLEA MARKET COLLECTORS UNITE!!
Posted: 9/26/17 at 12:17pm

haterobics said: "mattyp4 said: "I saw one of these ogres ganking a bunch of Deconstructing Patti Playbills on Sunday night. It was before the show even started. I was hoping to snatch an extra copy for a friend on my way out but there were none to be found."

So you're against people taking extra since it means you can't take extra?! Sounds about right.
"

I'm not against people taking one or two extra Playbills. This guy was shoving a short stack in his bag. Kind of douchey. I guess I'll have to buy one of his extras on eBay.

mattyp4
#202BCEFA FLEA MARKET COLLECTORS UNITE!!
Posted: 9/26/17 at 12:19pm

haterobics said: "In any event, good news, you can get one for your friend after all:http://www.ebay.com/itm/Deconstructing-Patti-Lupone-Playbill-Broadway-Seth-Rudetsky-/263228632126"

$15?! Gross! My friend will survive not having one. And I'm happy with my one copy.

Alfie6
#203BCEFA FLEA MARKET COLLECTORS UNITE!!
Posted: 9/26/17 at 1:34pm

I thought the layout was insane but happy with my haul and the  weather- some highlights include a playbill from Contact, shot glass from Come From Away, Broadway Cares 2015 snow globe (which they were practically giving away at the end of the day), shirt from Twelfth Night/Richard III, free copy of Plenty by David Hare, Beauty & the Beast mug, playbill yearbook (I really wish they didn't stop making those) Liasons shirt, a pretty nice journal from The Price (which I didn't even see them sell at the show). I skipped the Roundabout plastic cups/stress relievers which I usually go for, why I feel a need to get those stress relievers is beyond me but Flea is not a day when I make rational purchases. 

northlandfan
#204BCEFA FLEA MARKET COLLECTORS UNITE!!
Posted: 9/26/17 at 2:38pm

Just got back from a wonderful trip to New York City! I fulfilled all my goals and then some! My first mission was to get dear Evan Hansen tickets and scored some great orchestra seats last Thursday! Thank God Ben was in the show!! That man is a talentbeyond belief! we lucked out on day number two with hello Dolly tickets. Knowing the tickets were in excess of $400 from looking at Telecharge we walked up to the  box office and were stand that we were offered first          row mezzanine seats at $189 for Friday night!!! It just     goes to show you that it really pays to get your tickets at the box office within 24 hours of showtime! What a wonderful performance!

The fleamarket exceeded my expectations as I really lucked out on buying super rare collectibles for the shows that I love so much. I purchased some items I did not even know existed and I presume they are either opening night Gifts or promotional items. Most were very reasonably priced. Let's just say I went crazy with the dear Evan Hansen merchandise as I saw a one-of-a-kind items I could not resist! These were not even at the dealer Evan Hansen table believe it or not....

Starting with Dear Evan Hansen items I found a beautiful hard cover book which is called dear Evan Hansen the journey.

At the same table they had an unusual item that looked so unique I did not hesitate buying it and this was a dear Evan Hansen purse(hardshell) with the logo on one side and credits and cast on the other. It had a gold clasp and a strap. Hoping  that this was a promotional item?

Next item at the same table was a book called dear Evan Hansen galley which looks like a pre-printed version of the new script. I also picked up a opening night party invitation at the Pierre after opening night and a white beach towel with the logo wrapped in a beautiful blue ribbon. I'm not sure if this was sold at the theater or not. They also had a second stage and pride play bill which were not very expensive and a fully autographed current playbill. The next item was a printed version of a Sirius  radio interview done in a spiral book with blue cover. Just when I thought they could not have more items I picked up a torso shaped   pillow( so cute)with the sweater as the pillow case. I could not believe my eyes as these items were not very expensive either. Needless to say I bought them all and needed more cash for the remaining tables. The great comet table had such a huge lineup and had run out of the curtain prints that I moved on. Bought at hello Dolly program for 20 bucks instead of the $45 inside the theater as well as the business cards that she hands out during the show. They were initially going for $40 then 25 and I picked one up for $10 right at the end. They had a beautiful playbill signed by her for $250 but I passed on that one having cleaned up with dear Evan Hansen merchandise! A nice bonus was a Hamilton opening-night playbill in mint shape that one table was selling for $750 !!signed by Lin .(crazy!!) I found one unsigned  for $50 at a different table. at 5 PM once there was no longer a lineup at the comet table I picked up some red eggs at five dollars apiece. Also a falsettos baseball stating nominated for five Tony awards on it and the logo for one dollar just because it looked cute. Never saw the show and I don't know the significance of it? Would appreciate any of your comments regarding the history of the dear Evan Hansen items above having never seen or heard of them before and if they are rare?Thx!!

Updated On: 9/26/17 at 02:38 PM

Eliza2 Profile Photo
Eliza2
#205BCEFA FLEA MARKET COLLECTORS UNITE!!
Posted: 9/26/17 at 3:32pm

Does the purse look like these?

http://www.bagswithattitudeinc.com/bagitudeshop.html#!/Playbills/c/4669162/offset=0&sort=normal

I've seen these, and others that look similar, around. Beverley Bass, the American Airlines pilot who is played by Jenn Colella in Come From Away, has one made from a CFA playbill. That's the first time I ever saw one.

schubox
#206BCEFA FLEA MARKET COLLECTORS UNITE!!
Posted: 9/26/17 at 4:01pm

northlandfan said: " Also a falsettos baseball stating nominated for five Tony awards on it and the logofor one dollar just because it looked cute. Never saw the show and I don't know the significance of it? 
"

This is the significance of the baseball, actually a pretty cool collectible.

https://youtu.be/uRJmDBbsULY

northlandfan
#207BCEFA FLEA MARKET COLLECTORS UNITE!!
Posted: 9/26/17 at 4:23pm

Thank you so much for that link. Yes it does look similar to those bags. I know now a little bit more about the history of this purse as someone close to one of the producers said that very few were made for several women closely associated with the show prior to the Tonys to thank them for all their hard work in producing such a successful show. She was surprised to hear that one was at the flea market as she cherishes her so much. I will be doing the same! If you have any information on the book dear Evan Hansen hard cover with the words the journey on the inside with many outstanding reviews of the shows and pictures of cast and creative team please let me know who this  book was supposed to be distributed to?

northlandfan
#208BCEFA FLEA MARKET COLLECTORS UNITE!!
Posted: 9/26/17 at 4:25pm

Do you mean she wears it in the show or outside the show when on the street?

broadwaynerdnewbie Profile Photo
broadwaynerdnewbie
#209BCEFA FLEA MARKET COLLECTORS UNITE!!
Posted: 9/26/17 at 5:04pm

Everyone who couldn't go to flea should check out eBay and see if any of the items they want are on there because personally I've scoured there today for DEH stuff that I saw at flea and I'm seeing a lot of it on eBay. At seriously marked up prices too but just throwing that out there.

Eliza2 Profile Photo
Eliza2
#210BCEFA FLEA MARKET COLLECTORS UNITE!!
Posted: 9/26/17 at 5:08pm

northlandfan said: "Do you mean she wears it in the show or outside the show whenon the street?"

If this is directed at me regarding the CFA purse, I mean the real life Beverley Bass has one that she carries on the street. The first time I saw it was when I was at the show the day before the Tonys and she was there in the audience with it. 

BlackElleWoods Profile Photo
BlackElleWoods
#211BCEFA FLEA MARKET COLLECTORS UNITE!!
Posted: 9/26/17 at 5:18pm

I got one playbill that I was really excited about and that was an OBC crybaby . I love Alli Mauzey so this was a great find for me ! I also grabbed a really cute Annie doll & a host of other common playbills all for $1 ! 

greenifyme2
#212BCEFA FLEA MARKET COLLECTORS UNITE!!
Posted: 9/26/17 at 6:36pm

broadwaynerdnewbie said: "Everyone who couldn't go to flea should check out eBay and see if any of the items they want are on there because personally I've scoured there today for DEH stuff that I saw at flea and I'm seeing a lot of it on eBay. At seriously marked up prices too but just throwing that out there."

I am quite annoyed that the Tony Voter GHD booklet I passed on for $5 is listed on eBay for $99. I passed on it because I didn't know what I would do with it and  thought another fan would want it more. I should have just bought it and given it away on here. Ugh.

OKBroadwayFan Profile Photo
OKBroadwayFan
#213BCEFA FLEA MARKET COLLECTORS UNITE!!
Posted: 9/26/17 at 6:42pm

Here is a link that shows Beverly Bass with her Playbill handbag   

https://www.rediscoverhandbags.com/news

OKBroadwayFan Profile Photo
OKBroadwayFan
#214BCEFA FLEA MARKET COLLECTORS UNITE!!
Posted: 9/26/17 at 6:43pm

On that same page is information about Dear Evan Hanson ordering bags for their show.

broadwaynerdnewbie Profile Photo
broadwaynerdnewbie
#215BCEFA FLEA MARKET COLLECTORS UNITE!!
Posted: 9/26/17 at 6:54pm

greenifyme2 said: "broadwaynerdnewbie said: "Everyone who couldn't go to flea should check out eBay and see if any of the items they want are on there because personally I've scoured there today for DEH stuff that I saw at flea and I'm seeing a lot of it on eBay. At seriously marked up prices too but just throwing that out there."

I am quite annoyed that the Tony Voter GHD booklet I passed on for $5 is listed on eBay for $99. I passed on it because I didn't know what I would do with it and thought another fan would want it more. I should have just bought it and given it away on here. Ugh.
"

I feel you I saw on eBay someone purchased a booklet of a transcribed DEH townhall that I think went for 15 bucks at flea put it on eBay for like 70 bucks.

JustAnotherNewYorker
#216BCEFA FLEA MARKET COLLECTORS UNITE!!
Posted: 9/26/17 at 6:54pm

greenifyme2 said: "broadwaynerdnewbie said: "Everyone who couldn't go to flea should check out eBay and see if any of the items they want are on there because personally I've scoured there today for DEH stuff that I saw at flea and I'm seeing a lot of it on eBay. At seriously marked up prices too but just throwing that out there."

I am quite annoyed that the Tony Voter GHD booklet I passed on for $5 is listed on eBay for $99. I passed on it because I didn't know what I would do with it and thought another fan would want it more. I should have just bought it and given it away on here. Ugh.
"

Yes, you should have. I spent most of my time at Flea looking for one BCEFA FLEA MARKET COLLECTORS UNITE!!

lambchop2
#217BCEFA FLEA MARKET COLLECTORS UNITE!!
Posted: 9/26/17 at 8:51pm

greenifyme2 said: "
I am quite annoyed that the Tony Voter GHD booklet I passed on for $5 is listed on eBay for $99. I passed on it because I didn't know what I would do with it and thought another fan would want it more. I should have just bought it and given it away on here. Ugh."

I think I saw listings from the same seller. Just ONE of the Anastasia "fake Anastasia" letters which sold at the market in bundles of 4 for $10 is on ebay for $99. Ridiculous!

MX888 Profile Photo
MX888
#218BCEFA FLEA MARKET COLLECTORS UNITE!!
Posted: 9/27/17 at 1:01am

Stupid question but does anyone know if Broadway Cares would ever post a full list of the auctions with the winning bids? Thanks...

hmph Profile Photo
hmph
#219BCEFA FLEA MARKET COLLECTORS UNITE!!
Posted: 9/27/17 at 1:23am

I'm a little jealous of anyone that got a Belton bear drawing! It seems like he popped up at the GC table and the drawings were gone pretty quickly.

I'm also wondering who bought the Great Comet paintings from the theater they had hanging up on the backdrop and for how much. When I asked around 11, they were going for $400. They also had a larger framed section of the red drapes for $500. 

theater_tech
#220BCEFA FLEA MARKET COLLECTORS UNITE!!
Posted: 9/27/17 at 1:39am

Someone took home the painting at the end of the day for $75, if I remember correctly. I think another painting was $150, when I asked. 

@z5
#221BCEFA FLEA MARKET COLLECTORS UNITE!!
Posted: 9/27/17 at 2:04am

JustAnotherNewYorker said: "greenifyme2 said: "broadwaynerdnewbie said: "Everyone who couldn't go to flea should check out eBay and see if any of the items they want are on there because personally I've scoured there today for DEH stuff that I saw at flea and I'm seeing a lot of it on eBay. At seriously marked up prices too but just throwing that out there."

"

Yes, you should have. I spent most of my time at Flea looking for one BCEFA FLEA MARKET COLLECTORS UNITE!!
"

UGH! I totally would have gotten one!!! But I did get a STUNNING big book for TONY voters for "A Doll's House Part 2" for $5 and I got ones from TONY voters for  "The Front Page" "The Crucible (2016)" and "A View From the Bridge (2016)" --  I absolutely adore these and if anyone has one they'd be willing to part with I'd happily buy!

JustAnotherNewYorker
#222BCEFA FLEA MARKET COLLECTORS UNITE!!
Posted: 9/27/17 at 7:57am

@z5 said: "

UGH! I totally would have gotten one!!! But I did get a STUNNING big book for TONY voters for "A Doll's House Part 2" for $5 and I got ones from TONY voters for"The Front Page" "The Crucible (2016)" and"A View From the Bridge (2016)" -- I absolutely adore these and if anyone has one they'd be willing to part with I'd happily buy!"

I got that Doll's house book too as a gift for my wife (who was at Doll's House final performance at the time). She was very happy, but wish I had also bought the collected reviews book.

Already ordered the Doll's house script for her--she loves that play.

ren598
#223BCEFA FLEA MARKET COLLECTORS UNITE!!
Posted: 9/27/17 at 9:03am

JustAnotherNewYorker said: "@z5 said: "

UGH! I totally would have gotten one!!! But I did get a STUNNING big book for TONY voters for "A Doll's House Part 2" for $5 and I got ones from TONY voters for"The Front Page" "The Crucible (2016)" and"A View From the Bridge (2016)" -- I absolutely adore these and if anyone has one they'd be willing to part with I'd happily buy!"

I got that Doll's house book too as a gift for my wife (who was at Doll's House final performance at the time). She was very happy, but wish I had also bought the collected reviews book.

"

At the end of the day, there were boxes of unopened Doll's House scripts, review books, etc.  I opened one of the boxes to see what else was in there.  Unfortunately there didn't seem to be a lot of takers.

JustAnotherNewYorker
#224BCEFA FLEA MARKET COLLECTORS UNITE!!
Posted: 9/27/17 at 9:30am

ren598 said: "JustAnotherNewYorker said: "@z5 said: "

"

At the end of the day, there were boxes of unopened Doll's House scripts, review books, etc. I opened one of the boxes to see what else was in there. Unfortunately there didn't seemto be a lot of takers.
"

End of day just didn't work for me--had to pick up my daughter at test prep. Sigh. I'm sure I would have bought lots more. 

Guess we'll do that next year (and bring the little one for all day)

Videos