News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

THE CHER SHOW Previews

Rhoda4 Profile Photo
Rhoda4
#200THE CHER SHOW Previews
Posted: 11/20/18 at 12:19pm

Now that previews have been in play for a while.... does anyone who has seen the show lately have the current running time?  Trying to finalize some plans for after the show this weekend.

Updated On: 11/20/18 at 12:19 PM

InTheBathroom1
#201THE CHER SHOW Previews
Posted: 11/20/18 at 12:38pm

It runs about 2:25 - 2:30 the changes they’ve been making continue to cut time off. Will report back when I see it later this week.

JSquared2
#202THE CHER SHOW Previews
Posted: 11/20/18 at 12:41pm

This past Sunday's 2PM matinee let out at 4:40PM

Rhoda4 Profile Photo
Rhoda4
#203THE CHER SHOW Previews
Posted: 11/20/18 at 12:46pm

Thanks for the information!

paphillyguy
#204THE CHER SHOW Previews
Posted: 11/20/18 at 11:09pm

Show the show tonight and enjoyed it very much. A very entertaining evening. It ran about 2:30 minutes. One highlight was the real Cher was in attendance. She came in and waved to her fans and posed for pics. She got a huge ovation. She sat around row J. She was the first up dancing in her seat at the end of the show but when the stage went dark and the curtain call came Cher was gone and allowed the cast to get the ovation they deserved.

Miles2Go2 Profile Photo
Miles2Go2
#205THE CHER SHOW Previews
Posted: 11/20/18 at 11:32pm

^ That’s awesome!

CukorLover Profile Photo
CukorLover
#206THE CHER SHOW Previews
Posted: 11/21/18 at 10:08am

Wow! Was this production ever a let down!

Stephanie J. Block certainly starts things off with a bang, but the scenes that follow just bring the show to a halt. The book scenes are banal and stiff. While the three gals all have great pipes, with a standout performance by Block, the show rarely thrills. There are moments, but only moments, that hit the mark.

There’s an overall cheapness to the proceedings, and even the eye-popping costumes of Bob Mackie only add sparkle momentarily.

Jarrod Spector shines as Sonny Bono; and I’m sure the late Mr. Bono would be thrilled to have embodied that chiseled torso. As sexy as it looks,  it’s oddly discerning. Even the chorus boys, who ably dance the clunky and pedestrian choreography of Christopher Gattelli, exhibit bodies built by Mark Fisher fitness. It’s a clever ploy to aid in the cover-up of a dull and barebones show. 

Emily Skinner (always a winner) does a fine job as Cher’s mom, but we don’t need to hear Lucille Ball sing. That and the Robert Altman scene are bungle-some.

And all of this from director Jason Moore. The guy responsible for that other musical extravaganza , “Avenue Q.”

How could a singer with Cher's distinctive talent and versatility be given such a drab production?  A total misfire. 

I'm glad to hear that Cher is showing up and dancing in her seat—they’re going to need her to continue that attendance record displaying that kind of enthusiasm.

Updated On: 11/21/18 at 10:08 AM

paphillyguy
#207THE CHER SHOW Previews
Posted: 11/21/18 at 10:15am

Well if the audience last night was any sign, the older ladies and the gay guys are eating it up.  It was a full house.  My review to a friend was it isn't going to win the Tony but I was very entertained. 

robskynyc
#208THE CHER SHOW Previews
Posted: 11/21/18 at 10:39am

I won the lottery last night (again) and FINALLY got front row. The front row view with this stage is AMAZING.

And heres a snap of Cher

https://ibb.co/eqRfcA

IMG-3677

Updated On: 11/21/18 at 10:39 AM

petewk87
#209THE CHER SHOW Previews
Posted: 11/21/18 at 3:53pm

Does anyone know if the show is frozen/doing press night this coming weekend? Thanks!

ghostlight2
#210THE CHER SHOW Previews
Posted: 11/21/18 at 4:32pm

The show will not be frozen this weekend. Changes are being made daily. My guess it will be frozen around the 27th or 28th.

Marlothom Profile Photo
Marlothom
#211THE CHER SHOW Previews
Posted: 11/21/18 at 6:07pm

What are some of the changes they've made since previews started? 

"Observe how bravely I conceal this dreadful dreadful shame I feel."

Gizmo6
#212THE CHER SHOW Previews
Posted: 11/21/18 at 7:55pm

Hey all just wondering on Broadway are the souvenir programmes out during previews? 

Will they be the same price as Hello Dolly? 

Thanks 

ChgoTheatreGuy Profile Photo
ChgoTheatreGuy
#213THE CHER SHOW Previews
Posted: 11/23/18 at 4:49pm

Both times that I saw the show in previews in Chicago, I played the lottery and won twice!  I sat in the same two seats both times, front row center!   Was very saddened that the first time that I went there were two empty seats to my left.  Who on earth would win tickets to a show like this and not show up?...The front row is the best place to see this show!

BuddyStarr Profile Photo
BuddyStarr
#214THE CHER SHOW Previews
Posted: 11/23/18 at 5:26pm

I finally caught this show this past Wednesday Matinee.  I know it was a matinee and to be expected but most of the audience was the elderly and gay men.  Showed up at the BO at 1:10 and snagged a 5th row center seat.  There appeared to be a number of empty seats about me.  The third row looked mostly empty.

I thought the opening was definitely cheesy and was going to be a two hour Cher Tribute concert led by a drag queen (who was a woman) but not long after I totally bought into the show.  I was hesitant about the whole "3 Chers" thing but bought into.

People have been complaining about the book but I found worked. I found the show very entertaining.  The chorus boys do have rocking bodies and reminded me of "Solid Gold" dancers, yeah, it was cheesy but it worked. While I enjoyed the super buff male dancer with the large thighs and chest, he did pull your focus because he was so much more muscular than the other chorus members  Jarrod was great as Sonny and Gregg Altman was very sexy.

I especially loved the montage in the 2nd act of the Star Chef going to the academy awards.  It reminded me of the Fuge from Sweet Charity.  Babe was a standout.  

Unfortunately, Lady Cher was the show's weakest link, not sure if that is the actress or the role.  Babe gets you going and you grow to love her and well, Star Cher grabs you at the beginning and holds onto you till the very end.  Stephanie Block must be exhausted at the end of the show.

The Dark Lady number was reminiscence of the "Roxanne" number from Moulin Rouge the movie, but honestly, The Cher Show was more entertaining and intereating than Moulin Rough the Broadway Musical.  The book is one hundred times better than MR.

All in all it was very entertaining but I wonder who the audience is for this show.  It appears to be the elderly and gay men like the matinee. I say that because the Sonny & Cher Show scene got huge applause just at the beginning and well, gay men love Cher no matter what.

I also thought it was interesting that they call Chasity, Chaz, everytime they speak about him.  Kudos to the book writers and/or Cher for doing that.

jakebloke Profile Photo
jakebloke
#215THE CHER SHOW Previews
Posted: 11/23/18 at 7:02pm

I won the lottery today on standby. Orchestra row G far left seats. Somewhat obstructed. I couldn’t see much of the screens at the back of the stage, but 95% of the action was just fine. I left entertained. SJB was amazing. The other 2 had their moments, but because SJB was so good, they left me feeling a bit unconvinced.....which is unfair probably. Anyways, like I said I left entertained, although I thought I’d enjoy it more than I did. The audience was certainly not eating it up like previous posters have said. Most of the sonny and Cher jokes fell totally flat. Little to no laughs. The general consensus at intermission was ‘its ok’. The big finale was a bit underwhelming, but having said that, I’m glad I saw it, but even more glad it cost me only $30. :)

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#216THE CHER SHOW Previews
Posted: 11/23/18 at 9:23pm

Lottery Question:

If you enter for 2 seats...will they be together and where are most located?

Orchestra-Mezz?

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

Steve C. Profile Photo
Steve C.
#217THE CHER SHOW Previews
Posted: 11/24/18 at 10:02am

We saw the show last night and we were blown away. A very "tongue-"way"-in-your-cheek" adaptation.

The bio dedication from Ric Elise brought me to tears. Everything else is really coming together, Stephanie J Block is a powerhouse! Teal and Micaela are right behind her! The three of those ladies just kill!

The fashion show, the sets, the set recreations of past times in their lives...very very good. And I know I would TURN BACK TIME to be with Jared Spector and those abs!!! I know Sonny never had abs like this!!

They must be trimming songs and scenes now with a razor blade! But we're going to go back soon, I'm just checking for orchestra codes, dates, etc..

Let's go see this Bitches!!! (and the 4 magnet set is totally dope Cher merch!!)

I Can Has Cheezburger With This?
Updated On: 11/24/18 at 10:02 AM

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#218THE CHER SHOW Previews
Posted: 11/24/18 at 10:16am

Robbie2 said: "Lottery Question:

Orchestra-Mezz?
"

Yes, the 2 tickets will be together.  Based on the 3 people I know who won the lottery (after being on standby status), they sat in full-view front row seats ("partial view" was not printed on the tickets).  

robskynyc
#219THE CHER SHOW Previews
Posted: 11/24/18 at 11:20am

Robbie2 said: "Lottery Question:

Orchestra-Mezz?
"

Ive won 3 times.

first time far ORCH house right marked partial view

second time ORCH house left middle of row full view

third time front row center

ChgoTheatreGuy Profile Photo
ChgoTheatreGuy
#220THE CHER SHOW Previews
Posted: 11/24/18 at 2:02pm

I am selling collections of items from the Original Chicago Preview Engagement this summer at the Oriental Theatre:

Playbill, Promotional Flyer & Opening Night Press Preview Ticket Stub (mostly Main Floor):     https://www.ebay.com/itm/123509032976

Playbill and Promotional Flyer:     https://www.ebay.com/itm/123509034075

Set of Two Promotional Flyers:     https://www.ebay.com/itm/123509035027

All items are sent with free shipping...

Rhoda4 Profile Photo
Rhoda4
#221THE CHER SHOW Previews
Posted: 11/25/18 at 4:18pm

Saw the show on Friday afternoon.   Overall, had a good time and enjoyed the show.  (Been playing my old Cher abums all weekend)

I feel the three main problems of the show are the that is book is clunky at times.the choreography is very generic with no wow factor, and i just did not sense any chemistry with "Sonny and Cher".

spoiler alert: (lol) It was tough watching a grown woman play a 4 year old on a tricycle,

Lots of pluses....   performances, costumes, music, sets,

InTheBathroom1
#222THE CHER SHOW Previews
Posted: 11/25/18 at 4:53pm

Surprised at all the Teal Wicks hate on here. I thought her acting in those scenes between her and Sonny were especially good.

bwaybrent Profile Photo
bwaybrent
#223THE CHER SHOW Previews
Posted: 11/25/18 at 5:01pm

Is that whole concept of Star Cher playing a fairy godmother to Babe still happen in the beginning of the show? It felt clunky the few times I saw it in Chicago.

Updated On: 11/25/18 at 05:01 PM

2019planning
#224THE CHER SHOW Previews
Posted: 11/25/18 at 5:36pm

I know its a long way off but any tony predictions 

Videos