News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

What possessed CTG to tryout Bring it On The Musical???

What possessed CTG to tryout Bring it On The Musical???

TheHappyPhantom
#1What possessed CTG to tryout Bring it On The Musical???
Posted: 10/22/11 at 2:00pm

So for those who don't know, the Center Theatre Group in Los Angeles is 3 West Coast theatres that are known for hosting some of the strongest and most celebrated theatrical productions in America. But for some reason their new season seems to be completely falling flat of the type of work they've made of career of producing. Does anyone know why the Ahmanson Theatre of ALL places is doing Bring it On the Musical???? It's an absolute disgrace to the legitimate work their audiences are accustomed to. Later this year they're doing American Idiot (which is questionable enough, but at least its heart is in the right place), but Bring it On... Why?

somethingwicked Profile Photo
somethingwicked
#2What possessed CTG to tryout Bring it On The Musical???
Posted: 10/22/11 at 2:18pm

You're aware that 9 TO 5 had its tryout at the Ahmanson, right?

Tonya Pinkins: Then we had a "Lot's Wife" last June that was my personal favorite. I'm still trying to get them to let me sing it at some performance where we get to sing an excerpt that's gone.
Tony Kushner: You can sing it at my funeral.

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#2What possessed CTG to tryout Bring it On The Musical???
Posted: 10/22/11 at 2:20pm

I'm pretty sure you need two more question marks before that's an acceptable question, somethingwicked.

brettarnett Profile Photo
brettarnett
#3What possessed CTG to tryout Bring it On The Musical???
Posted: 10/22/11 at 2:23pm

It is my understanding that this is the first stop on a national tour, or atleast that was the initially purpose.

* Also the Pantages is a Nederlander house if I do remember correctly. So if a show is produced by the Nederlanders it will go into the Pantages, possibly leaving Center Theatre Group with not many options. *
^Can someone please correct or verify me on this, I could be completely wrong.

https://www.actorsequity.org/newsmedia/touring_main.asp
But if you take a look at all of the current touring shows, they either have already been in the Ahmanson or they went into/are going into the Pantages, Not a very good season for tours to begin with What possessed CTG to tryout Bring it On The Musical???

dragonlp86 Profile Photo
dragonlp86
#4What possessed CTG to tryout Bring it On The Musical???
Posted: 10/22/11 at 2:26pm

It's easy to bash something you know nothing about and haven't seen. Given the creative team behind Bring It On, I'm at least willing to give the show a chance.

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#5What possessed CTG to tryout Bring it On The Musical???
Posted: 10/22/11 at 2:32pm

Maybe we should let the show open before dismissing it as a "disgrace"...

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

TheHappyPhantom
#6What possessed CTG to tryout Bring it On The Musical???
Posted: 10/22/11 at 2:42pm

Yes, 9 to 5 was there. That didn't go over well, either. They don't seem to be learning. It's definitely Pantages work. Any theatre that would house Shrek, can have Bring it On as well.

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#7What possessed CTG to tryout Bring it On The Musical???
Posted: 10/22/11 at 2:59pm

The Alliance Theater production got mixed-to-positive reviews, didn't it? I have friends in Atlanta that saw it and said it was the perfect blend of "Legally Blonde" meets "In The Heights."

I wouldn't automatically assume one should just blow this show off. At least give it a try. I've been waiting to see it before, you know...judging it.

"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle

Goggles Profile Photo
Goggles
#8What possessed CTG to tryout Bring it On The Musical???
Posted: 10/22/11 at 3:02pm

yes the Pantages is a Nederlander house. i have been going back and forth about seeing this show, i think if i happen to be up in LA for some reason and have nothing to do....i might check it out.

kidbroadway2
#9What possessed CTG to tryout Bring it On The Musical???
Posted: 10/22/11 at 3:46pm

its always nice when people judge a show before even hearing a single note of it.

TheHappyPhantom
#10What possessed CTG to tryout Bring it On The Musical???
Posted: 10/22/11 at 4:15pm

Anything even remotely compared to Legally Blonde is worthy of all the pre-judgment in the world.

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#11What possessed CTG to tryout Bring it On The Musical???
Posted: 10/22/11 at 4:33pm

Aren't they just playing host to a national tour? It's not like CTG is actually producing the show. Or are they?

bwayfan7000
#12What possessed CTG to tryout Bring it On The Musical???
Posted: 10/22/11 at 4:41pm

^Every time I've heard this production post-Alliance referred to, it was as a "national tour", so, yes, I think CTG just booked it.

"Art, in itself, is an attempt to bring order out of chaos."-Stephen Sondheim

Wicked Fanatic Profile Photo
Wicked Fanatic
#13What possessed CTG to tryout Bring it On The Musical???
Posted: 10/22/11 at 5:02pm

its always nice when people judge a show before even hearing a single note of it.

Actually those of us here that live in Southern California have heard some of the music. We've been deluged with TV ads and it's a "Glee for Cheerleading Show". I agree with TheHappyPhantom and I canceled my long-running season tickets this year because of the Ahmanson's choices. Instead the Pantages and the La Mirada Theatre which have better selections got my money instead.

And at this very moment the music and show is being previewed at the Universal City Walk. I'll be looking for clips at that site that will remain unnamed today; none so far but there will be before the day is over.

Edited to add the ad
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQogk61J14o
Updated On: 10/22/11 at 05:02 PM

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#14What possessed CTG to tryout Bring it On The Musical???
Posted: 10/22/11 at 5:14pm

It's an absolute disgrace to the legitimate work their audiences are accustomed to.

Perhaps you should start Occupy CTG (party of 1). But I would love to hear the definition of "legitimate work". Is it a play living with both birth parents? I refuse to believe there's been any sort of disgrace or offense until some sort of documentation regarding the requirements of the contents of CTG productions is provided.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

Wicked Fanatic
#15What possessed CTG to tryout Bring it On The Musical???
Posted: 10/22/11 at 5:20pm

Updated On: 10/23/11 at 05:20 PM

Wicked Fanatic
#16What possessed CTG to tryout Bring it On The Musical???
Posted: 10/22/11 at 5:47pm

Decided to double post since Lin just uploaded the first song done by the cast
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ellxXCYxDRs

TheatreDiva90016 Profile Photo
TheatreDiva90016
#17What possessed CTG to tryout Bring it On The Musical???
Posted: 10/22/11 at 6:09pm

13 was worse.

"TheatreDiva90016 - another good reason to frequent these boards less."<<>> “I hesitate to give this line of discussion the validation it so desperately craves by perpetuating it, but the light from logic is getting further and further away with your every successive post.” <<>> -whatever2

Wicked Fanatic
#18What possessed CTG to tryout Bring it On The Musical???
Posted: 10/22/11 at 6:54pm

And looks like Lin Manuel Miranda changed the video link I posted to private What possessed CTG to tryout Bring it On The Musical???
Oh well, you didn't miss much. It was a pretty mediocre song imo.

ETA a new video was added. Let's see how long before this is made Private? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fM4qMw6mUyE
Updated On: 10/22/11 at 06:54 PM

VernonGersch Profile Photo
VernonGersch
#19What possessed CTG to tryout Bring it On The Musical???
Posted: 10/23/11 at 9:48am

strongly disagree with the orginal poster

Center Theater Group has an incredibly strong and vibrant season

-besides the West Coast premiere to Bring It On (with top tier Broadway creative talent like Jeff Whitty, Linn-Manuel Miranda and Andy Blankenbuehler, the show received good reviews out of Atlanta. In the past few years CTG was the host to World Premiere Musicals like LEAP OF FAITH ( I was in the minority and kinda like it) and 9 TO 5
-World Premiere of Broadway bound revival of FUNNY GIRL
-Los Angeles premiere of FELA
-West Coast premiere of AMERICAN IDIOT (being a Green Day fan, looking forward to finally seeing this - although I know this music and show isn't for everyone's taste)
-Mark Taper Forum is premiering the new version of CLYBOURNE PARK before it goes to Broadway
-Mark Taper Forum is presenting the West Coast premiere of Donmar Warehouse RED (Tony Award winning play)

Granted the last thing I saw at The Taper - POOR BEHAVIOR was a middling weak sitcom -lite play at best with the exception of stand out performances from Reg Rogers and Johannna Day (and great direction and set) - but Center Theater Group is really creating exceptional theater for those of us not based in NYC. They got Jane Fonda to do 33 VARIATIONS there last season and gave us the West Coast premiere of NEXT TO NORMAL

by the way, there have been way worse seasons there with drivel like TITANIC, THE SCARLET PIMPERNEL and caberet styled show called LIKE JAZZ (that was a total snooze fest) and a horrendous production of 3 one-act Musicals that are all forgettable (although I remember Hal Prince directed one of them....)

And don't get me started on The Pantages - its a huge big barn of a theater that is far too large for its own good - and very rarely has a decent Touring Production there (HAIR and SHREK were the ony exceptions that stick out in my mind...)
The Pantages has the upteenth stop over of WICKED coming up (loved it the two times I saw it 5+ years ago and that snooze fest with Twyla Tharp's dance co doing Sinata songs...)

Center Theater Group presents and produces exceptional, A level talent and productions...

Updated On: 10/23/11 at 09:48 AM

songanddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
#20What possessed CTG to tryout Bring it On The Musical???
Posted: 10/23/11 at 2:50pm

'Anything even remotely compared to Legally Blonde is worthy of all the pre-judgment in the world.'

You mean that Olivier award winning musical

Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#21What possessed CTG to tryout Bring it On The Musical???
Posted: 10/23/11 at 7:05pm

Anything even remotely compared to Legally Blonde is worthy of all the pre-judgment in the world.

I would probably have to agree. I love Legally Blonde, so Bring It On is likely to be wonderful. That is what you mean, right? I would hate to prejudge you before I met you simply based on your attitude. Or perhaps you are completely humorless, frigid and closed-minded. And if so, then maybe you are worthy of all the pre-judgment in the world.

*eyeroll*

I would love to know why you believe American Idiot is considered slightly more appropriate. Since you don't provide any sort of support for you views, your opinions are rather mysterious and questionable.

Vernon - I was sort of with you until "with drivel like TITANIC, THE SCARLET PIMPERNEL". Then you lost me.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

ReggieonBway Profile Photo
ReggieonBway
#22What possessed CTG to tryout Bring it On The Musical???
Posted: 10/23/11 at 7:45pm

Legally Blonde is a well-loved musical - granted, its target audience is much younger than, say, Follies, but it's actually considered very good by a large portion of the theater community. Campy, over the top? Absolutely. It doesn't try to be anything else. From what I've been told by more than a few people in attendance in Atlanta, Bring It On has made for a very good musical - one that, like Legally Blonde, improves upon the source material.

HumATune Profile Photo
HumATune
#23What possessed CTG to tryout Bring it On The Musical???
Posted: 10/24/11 at 10:56am

West Coast premiere of AMERICAN IDIOT

Actually, the world premiere of AMERICAN IDIOT was in Berkeley, California.

Wildcard
#24What possessed CTG to tryout Bring it On The Musical???
Posted: 10/24/11 at 2:12pm

Having seen the show at its premiere in Atlanta, it was better than many of the new shows I have seen in the past couple years. Granted it wasn't heavy like Next to Normal or as nuanced as Follies but it was a fun evening at the theater. I'm looking forward to seeing it again at CTG.

Videos