News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 9/8/13

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 9/8/13

Rob Profile Photo
Rob
#1Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 9/8/13
Posted: 9/9/13 at 3:08pm

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 9/8/13 Click below to access all the grosses from all the shows for the week ending 9/8/2013 in BroadwayWorld.com's grosses section.

Also, you will find information on each show's historical grosses, cumulative grosses and other statistics on how each show stacked up this week and in the past.

Click Here to Visit the Broadway Grosses...

Up for the week by attendance was: ANNIE (8.9%), SPIDER-MAN TURN OFF THE DARK (7.3%), THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA (1.2%), WICKED (1.2%), THE LION KING (0.1%),

Down for the week by attendance was: NEWSIES (-13.0%), MATILDA (-12.5%), FIRST DATE (-12.1%), PIPPIN (-11.9%), ONCE (-11.6%), FOREVER TANGO (-11.4%), SOUL DOCTOR (-10.5%), MOTOWN: THE MUSICAL (-7.5%), THE TRIP TO BOUNTIFUL (-5.4%), CINDERELLA (-3.6%), ROMEO AND JULIET (-3.3%), CHICAGO (-3.2%), KINKY BOOTS (-2.2%), JERSEY BOYS (-1.0%), MAMMA MIA! (-0.8%), ROCK OF AGES (-0.3%),

Click Here to Visit the BroadwayWorld Grosses...

loliveve Profile Photo
loliveve
#2Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 9/8/13
Posted: 9/9/13 at 3:14pm

Wow, there were some serious falls in attendance.

I wonder if Cinderella will end up blocking off the seats that were blocked off in previews so the capacity percentage isn't quite as low... or just keep them open since it should do well during the holidays.

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#2Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 9/8/13
Posted: 9/9/13 at 3:14pm

Yikes.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#3Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 9/8/13
Posted: 9/9/13 at 3:15pm

Yup, summer's definitely over.

DeeKDee
#4Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 9/8/13
Posted: 9/9/13 at 3:26pm

...and Rosh Hashanah was last week

TheaterBoy7777 Profile Photo
TheaterBoy7777
#5Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 9/8/13
Posted: 9/9/13 at 3:33pm

Wow...Spiderman

jaxandmci Profile Photo
jaxandmci
#6Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 9/8/13
Posted: 9/9/13 at 3:39pm

And Kinky Boots finally broke up that seemingly permanent Top Three (grossers)!

Huss417 Profile Photo
Huss417
#7Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 9/8/13
Posted: 9/9/13 at 4:23pm

This is the first grosses chart I have seen since the remodel of the website. Chart is difficult to read as everything is scrunched together. I have about 4 inches of space on either side of any content posted here. Not sure if there is a way to use full screen.

"I hope your Fanny is bigger than my Peter." Mary Martin to Ezio Pinza opening night of Fanny.

massofmen
#8Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 9/8/13
Posted: 9/9/13 at 4:26pm

spiderman...wow...

Jonwo
#9Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 9/8/13
Posted: 9/9/13 at 4:34pm

Spider-Man is on shaky ground but is King Kong ready to go into the Foxwoods? Newsies had a low week which is unsurprising considering kids are back in school but I'm sure it will pick up. Once also had a low week but I imagine its making a profit or at least breaking even.

KathyNYC2
#10Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 9/8/13
Posted: 9/9/13 at 4:44pm

Billy Porter was out of Kinky Boots last week and this week. That didn't help..but it's still at almost 100%.

The Jewish Holidays affected most of the shows I would imagine...especially because it was attached to a long weekend.

Stage Door Sally Profile Photo
Stage Door Sally
#11Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 9/8/13
Posted: 9/9/13 at 6:02pm

Ouch for Spider-Man. At least if it has to close it will do so after a substantial run, silencing the naysayers who said it would close in a week. Of course it couldn't be expected to fully recoup, but it's had a good run. I saw it once in previews, didn't care for the score but found it entertaining. Especially liked Patrick Page.

ucjrdude902 Profile Photo
ucjrdude902
#12Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 9/8/13
Posted: 9/9/13 at 8:39pm

It'll be interesting to see if Cinderella get's a boost with Annie closing. Just a thought.

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#13Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 9/8/13
Posted: 9/9/13 at 8:51pm

At least if it has to close it will do so after a substantial run, silencing the naysayers who said it would close in a week. Of course it couldn't be expected to fully recoup, but it's had a good run

If Spider-Man was to close today, it would only had made back half of its investment. That's enough cash to produce two small Broadway shows, making it the biggest monetary flop in history.

Not much there to "silence" anyone.

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

jnb9872 Profile Photo
jnb9872
#14Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 9/8/13
Posted: 9/9/13 at 9:24pm

ucjdude... there will only be a few months between ANNIE closing and ALADDIN opening, so if there's any bump at all I'm sure CINDERELLA would hope it's substantial.

Words don't deserve that kind of malarkey. They're innocent, neutral, precise, standing for this, describing that, meaning the other, so if you look after them you can build bridges across incomprehension and chaos. But when they get their corners knocked off, they're no good anymore…I don't think writers are sacred, but words are. They deserve respect. If you get the right ones in the right order, you can nudge the world a little.

jdrye222 Profile Photo
jdrye222
#15Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 9/8/13
Posted: 9/9/13 at 9:57pm

I am never one to want a show to close, but SPIDERMAN is a separate case.
I hope it continues its decline and goes away.

I keep wondering where this Tupac show is going... they keep saying it is all set for broadway, Kenny Leon is talking it up... but unless FIRST DATE closes in January, and they take the Longacre, I don't know...

I wonder what will happen with CINDERELLA and NEWSIES in the coming months.

BIG FISH did respectably.

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#16Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 9/8/13
Posted: 9/9/13 at 10:01pm

big drops all around. and again, how has "Soul Doctor" not announced a closing date yet?? First time I'm slightly worried about "Once", though they have had a nice 16 months of solid grosses. I still think the show has another year+ in it at least.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

jdrye222 Profile Photo
jdrye222
#17Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 9/8/13
Posted: 9/9/13 at 10:04pm

Yeah, I also don't know how SOUL DOCTOR is still not announcing a closing date.

I love ONCE - it is one of my favorite things I've seen, ever. But, I think they've not been smart about replacements --- the replacement for Kazee doesn't seem appealing at all in the photos, and I think (as shallow as it may sound) that having a "hot" guy is a big thing for that show, for people who don't otherwise know it. I know it must be one of the hardest shows to cast.... Didn't they recoup a long time ago? I cannot imagine the investment was much...

frogs_fan85 Profile Photo
frogs_fan85
#18Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 9/8/13
Posted: 9/9/13 at 10:10pm

Yes, ONCE recouped last August.

PatrickDennis92
#19Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 9/8/13
Posted: 9/9/13 at 10:46pm

If Spider-Man did recoup half its investment, then it's not the biggest flop ever-- you can't look at simply the amount of money that was lost. That money had to be someone, and by virtue of where it was, it lost half of its value (theoretically)-- that money could have been divided up into 10 smaller shows each losing everything. Anyway, I'm not championing Spider-Man; I just wanted to be clear that many investors would delight in a 50% return compared to the commonly grim 0.

AEA AGMA SM
#20Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 9/8/13
Posted: 9/9/13 at 11:19pm

I would be shocked if Spider Man has recouped even half. They estimated they could have recouped with five years of packed solid houses, which they are nowhere near on track to accomplish as they come up to their third anniversary.

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#21Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 9/8/13
Posted: 9/10/13 at 12:00am

That money had to be someone, and by virtue of where it was, it lost half of its value (theoretically)-- that money could have been divided up into 10 smaller shows each losing everything.

What the f...?

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

binau Profile Photo
binau
#22Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 9/8/13
Posted: 9/10/13 at 4:50am

Thank you blaxx. No idea what PatrickDennis92 was trying to say there. It is as simple as looking at the amount of money lost, and if it exceeds the amount any other single show has lost then it is the biggest flop in history.

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

millie_dillmount Profile Photo
millie_dillmount
#23Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 9/8/13
Posted: 9/10/13 at 6:57am

"It'll be interesting to see if Cinderella get's a boost with Annie closing. Just a thought."

If Cinderella gets a boost, it will have nothing to do with Annie closing. I think people have their decisions made about what show to see regardless of what else is playing on Broadway.

"We like to snark around here. Sometimes we actually talk about theater...but we try not to let that get in our way." - dramamama611

binau Profile Photo
binau
#24Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 9/8/13
Posted: 9/10/13 at 7:11am

I'm sure competition between shows does exist. The process of selecting to see a show often involves choosing between different shows.

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

Videos