News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

WAITRESS Reviews

Jeffrey Karasarides Profile Photo
Jeffrey Karasarides
#1WAITRESS Reviews
Posted: 4/24/16 at 4:23pm

Limelight Mike seems to be off again tonight, so...

It's opening night of Waitress! The new musical based on the popular 2007 independent film of the same name starring Tony Award Winner Jessie Mueller. Waitress is also the very first Broadway show with a creative team led by women. Directed by Tony Award Winner Diane Paulus, choreographed by Lorin Latarro, with a book by Jessie Nelson, and a score by five-time Grammy nominee Sara Bareilles.

Be sure to post the reviews right here!

Dave13 Profile Photo
Dave13
#2WAITRESS Reviews
Posted: 4/24/16 at 4:25pm

I am hoping this does well.  Have tickets in July. 

Not to be confused with Dave19.
Updated On: 4/24/16 at 04:25 PM

bdboston
#3WAITRESS Reviews
Posted: 4/24/16 at 4:46pm

You really should have waited another hour or so for Limelight Mike... he is, after all, "a tradition..." 

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#4WAITRESS Reviews
Posted: 4/24/16 at 4:52pm

He would have posted by now.  Hours ago, actually.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

bdboston
#5WAITRESS Reviews
Posted: 4/24/16 at 5:30pm

I wasn't being serious. Just want to see if that statement sounded any less pathetic if it came from someone else. It doesn't.

mc1227 Profile Photo
mc1227
#6WAITRESS Reviews
Posted: 4/24/16 at 5:32pm

Predicting across the board raves for this one...best wishes to a great production!!

The only review of a show that matters is your own.

steven22 Profile Photo
steven22
#7WAITRESS Reviews
Posted: 4/24/16 at 5:38pm

I know I'm in the minoroty here, but I enjoyed the show a lot more at the A.R.T! 

dramamama611
#8WAITRESS Reviews
Posted: 4/24/16 at 5:52pm

I wonder if that has a lot to do with the venue.....the ART is so intimate, so close.  I felt the same way about both Pipping and Finding Neverland.  (Just a thought.)

I haven't seen this in NY yet,

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

steven22 Profile Photo
steven22
#9WAITRESS Reviews
Posted: 4/24/16 at 6:15pm

Dramamama, for me, it's the cast changes and the music changes. I prefer Jeanna, Jeremy and the actor that played Earl at the A.R.T. I also miss Door Number Three...

#10WAITRESS Reviews
Posted: 4/24/16 at 6:22pm

Just a tip -- I saw it last week and got a "partially obstructed view" seat, which I'm 99% sure was Q 109 (I'm writing from an amtrak train, don't have my ticket stub with me).  It was the last row in the Orchestra section, the seat right next to the sound board, and I paid $79.  The man next to me paid $140.  If I leaned forward I could see the entire stage, and if I sat normally about 1/4 of the stage (left side) was obscured.  Since there was no one behind me I could lean forward if I wanted to -- it was only necessary a couple of times.  The man next to me did tell me when I missed something (a dance move by one of the actors as he left the stage) -- 

The sound was great, so I'd recommend this seat if you are on a budget and don't mind leaning in once in a while.  During intermission I made a video of my seatmate eating the "Waitress" pie he bought during intermission (of course I asked him if it was OK) -- he's a schoolteacher from out of town and I sent it to him so he could share it with his students.  I also made one without including his name -- he loved the show -- and the pie.  It's a little steep at $10 for such a small portion, but the jar and spoon are nice souvenirs to have, especially for someone from out of town.  

https://vimeo.com/163499612

I'm rooting for this show -- love all of it, including the "turn off your cellphone" song at the top.  

Jeffrey Karasarides Profile Photo
Jeffrey Karasarides
NJ_BroadwayGirl Profile Photo
NJ_BroadwayGirl
#12WAITRESS Reviews
Posted: 4/24/16 at 7:43pm

Jeffrey Karasarides said: "David Cote has chimed in...

https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Review-Roundup-WAITRESS-Opens-on-Broadway-UPDATING-LIVE-20160424
"

Here's a direct link

David Cote, Time Out New York 4/5 stars, very positive.: https://www.timeout.com/newyork/theater/waitress

I like a good rhyme more than a good time

pupscotch
#13WAITRESS Reviews
Posted: 4/24/16 at 8:01pm

steven22 said: "Dramamama, for me, it's the cast changes and the music changes. I prefer Jeanna, Jeremy and the actor that played Earl at the A.R.T. I also miss Door Number Three...

"

Really? I loved Chris Fitzgerald! 

But to those looking to see it cheaply, I sat in a stamped partial view seat in row C, right orchestra, so it was very cheap, and I missed almost nothing! 

broadwayboy223
#14WAITRESS Reviews
Posted: 4/24/16 at 8:06pm

Not that i don't love Jessie but didn't anyone get to see Laura Benanti in a reading or workshop of Waitress? How was she in the role?

NJ_BroadwayGirl
#15WAITRESS Reviews
Posted: 4/24/16 at 8:07pm

broadwayboy223 said: "Not that i don't love Jessie but didn't anyone get to see Laura Benanti in a reading or workshop of Waitress? How was she in the role?"

I didn't see her in it but I really can't imagine her in the role. 

NJ_BroadwayGirl
#16WAITRESS Reviews
Posted: 4/24/16 at 8:10pm

Chris Jones, Chicago Tribune. Generally positive. Rave for the hometown girl, Mueller: 

http://www.chicagotribune.com/entertainment/theater/broadway/sc-waitress-broadway-musical-review-0424-20160424-column.html

Robert Kahn, NBC4NY very positive: http://www.nbcnewyork.com/entertainment/the-scene/Review-Waitress-Mueller-Bareilles-376843041.html

Updated On: 4/24/16 at 08:10 PM

djoko84
#17WAITRESS Reviews
Posted: 4/24/16 at 8:19pm

You obviously didn't read the Chicago Tribune review. It was most definitely not a rave. More mixed than anything. In the sixth paragraph, he talks about where the shows stutters and goes on from there with his dislikes. Please actually read it next time.

NJ_BroadwayGirl
#18WAITRESS Reviews
Posted: 4/24/16 at 8:24pm

djoko84 said: "You obviously didn't read the Chicago Tribune review. It was most definitely not a rave. More mixed than anything. In the sixth paragraph, he talks about where the shows stutters and goes on from there with his dislikes. Please actually read it next time."

Apologies I intended to write that it was a rave for Mueller specifically. I did read the review and I felt that he loved in in spite of those things. I'll amend my commentary. 

dramamama611
#19WAITRESS Reviews
Posted: 4/24/16 at 8:30pm

Sorry -- that was a pretty positive review...sure there are a couple of things he didn't love, but overall?  It's positive, very positive.

NJ_BroadwayGirl
#20WAITRESS Reviews
Posted: 4/24/16 at 8:36pm

Sidenote, according to Sara Bareilles' snapchat (no I can't link that here), there is an audience member in labor in the basement of the Brooks Atkinson theatre.

dramamama611
#21WAITRESS Reviews
Posted: 4/24/16 at 8:38pm

Yikes!  Do you know if they stopped the performance?  Hope mother and child are ok!

NJ_BroadwayGirl
#22WAITRESS Reviews
Posted: 4/24/16 at 8:44pm

dramamama611 said: "Yikes!  Do you know if they stopped the performance?  Hope mother and child are ok"

I don't know - they were being somewhat lighthearted so I'm guessing things are okay. I'd imagine she was able to get herself to the lobby or something without it being a scenario that stopped the show. Why she is in the basement is a mystery.

NJ_BroadwayGirl
#23WAITRESS Reviews
Posted: 4/24/16 at 8:46pm

Charles McNulty, LA Times: http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/arts/la-et-cm-waitress-musical-review-20160426-column.html

"Admittedly, the comic coincidences and plot conveniences don't stand the test of realism and the ending is sentimental in a non-rom-com way. But the show's heart is earned through the beauty and integrity of Mueller's work.

In an era glutted with gifted musical theater performers, she stands out as a luminous everywoman. "Waitress" wears its flaws on its uniform sleeve, but the naked honesty of Mueller's singing is enough to make an overscheduled theater critic wish that the curtain would never come down."

Trish2
#24WAITRESS Reviews
Posted: 4/24/16 at 9:12pm

Talkin' Broadway: http://www.talkinbroadway.com/page/world/Waitress2016.html

N-E-G-A-T-I-V-E

NJ_BroadwayGirl
#25WAITRESS Reviews
Posted: 4/24/16 at 9:15pm

David Rooney, Hollywood Reporter. Another rave for Mueller, positives for the score as well. http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/review/sara-bareilles-waitress-theater-review-887182

Marilyn Stasio, Variety. Mixed but more love for Mueller: http://variety.com/2016/legit/reviews/waitress-review-broadway-musical-1201759570/

Videos